PDA

View Full Version : White Tail Bow Season Region 8

RBooth
12-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey guys,
Wondering if there are many taking advantage of the extended bow season in region 8 this year for white tail?

I spent two days driving around and doing small hikes looking for high concentrations but had little luck. Found areas with a decent population but none with very high concentrations of white tail accessible on crown land. I put some time in around beaverdell and the snow was three times as deep as I am use to seeing it for this time of year. I tucked tail and ran from there down the christian valley and found better populations but no area over run. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Doesn't have to be the secret honey whole but maybe some clues as to elevation and where they are moved through already? Might try near Lumby next.

Thanks,
Ryan

MerrittBow
12-16-2010, 07:21 PM
I"ve been out and about around Summerland. I shot a buck earlier in the season so been walking around looking for a doe. Had a couple chances for two nice 5 points to bad i shot a 3 point.

Stéphane
12-16-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm going to give it shot on Monday. So excited!!! It will be my first time ever. I was shooting in my backyard tonight and I'm very pleased with my grouping. I'll be leaving my house at 4am on Monday morning hoping to get to the hunting grounds before sunlight.
I don't think I have a great chance of getting anything, but I will get the most out of it. If anything, it will be a scouting trip.
3 more sleeps. Actually, 3 more "waking up", which is a lot harder than sleeping.:-?

Lillypuff
12-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I don,t know how to send a pm so send me one and I will help

GoatGuy
12-16-2010, 07:37 PM
If you're bowhunting stop driving and hiking, start sitting and you will start seeing deer.

.300WSMImpact!
12-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I am heading out for the last time on sunday to try and get the monster I have been seeing for the last three weeks

Lee
12-16-2010, 07:44 PM
I have been seeing them move the last week at about right up until first light and again in the mid afternoon in good bush cover. Most have been on the ridge areas of nice deep ravines/valleys. The does are incredibly docile for the creatures that they are. I'm thinking a few have seen some 'second rut' action making the bucks a bit more curios but also just as cautious as that 'stupid ruttin' buck' syndrome seems to have worn off. I haven't had ANY response to rattling, feed drops have been hit days later and territorial issues have been creeping back in. See a buck, grunt him to get him to hold still, but if he thinks you are dangerous/ a challenge he'll bolt for cover and come back when he feels it's safe again.

Oh, and beware of that frakkin crunchy snow we got now. Cold is great to get movement, just not great if the snow before was wet and you need to move. Frakkin frakkin frakkin stuff!!

Stéphane
12-16-2010, 07:45 PM
If you're bowhunting stop driving and hiking, start sitting and you will start seeing deer.
I'll keep that in mind. I was thinking of getting there early, before sunrise, and do just that.

That's the good thing about going by yourself, you can do whatever you want.

Rbooth, I obviously don't have a honey hole, but I'm going where I saw numerous deer last summer while hiking. If you can meet me there, you can join. PM me if interested. I'm fairly independent, so you can do your own thing, but we could help each other should we need too.

SG

RBooth
12-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I don,t know how to send a pm so send me one and I will help

Thank You Lillypuff, PM sent

RBooth
12-16-2010, 10:49 PM

Thank you goat,
I wasnt' very clear in my initial post. I haven't spent any time in white tail country this year so I just put in my first two days of hunting for them and I was basically just looking for tracks trying to find where they were at. I'm looking for a spot with a heavy population to start my sitting.

RBooth
12-16-2010, 10:51 PM
I have been seeing them move the last week at about right up until first light and again in the mid afternoon in good bush cover. Most have been on the ridge areas of nice deep ravines/valleys. The does are incredibly docile for the creatures that they are. I'm thinking a few have seen some 'second rut' action making the bucks a bit more curios but also just as cautious as that 'stupid ruttin' buck' syndrome seems to have worn off. I haven't had ANY response to rattling, feed drops have been hit days later and territorial issues have been creeping back in. See a buck, grunt him to get him to hold still, but if he thinks you are dangerous/ a challenge he'll bolt for cover and come back when he feels it's safe again.

Oh, and beware of that frakkin crunchy snow we got now. Cold is great to get movement, just not great if the snow before was wet and you need to move. Frakkin frakkin frakkin stuff!!

Thank you Lee!
Great Info, and yes, FRAKKIN CRUNCHY!

AT&T
12-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Region 4 here. Deer are everywhere. To be honest I have never seen such easy hunting in my life. I am hunting only 200 to 400 yards from the town limits. A bow sure gives a guy and edge on those big whitetails that eat our gardens at night. I walk from the house to hunt. Those big ass bucks that never get hunted in rifle season are in shit.

35 Whelen
12-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Where's home for you At&T ?

savagecanuck
12-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Region 4 here. Deer are everywhere. To be honest I have never seen such easy hunting in my life. I am hunting only 200 to 400 yards from the town limits. A bow sure gives a guy and edge on those big whitetails that eat our gardens at night. I walk from the house to hunt. Those big ass bucks that never get hunted in rifle season are in shit.

This is exactly how I hunt.I call it fringe hunting as with the snow and cold weather the deer populations have been driven to the valley bottoms.I have also ssen ots of deer close in to town.IUnfortunatly I am tagged out and am picking up a new excalibure equinox today so I look forward to these 10 extra days next year.I say good luck to all still hunting and yes conditions are perfect except the crunchy snow,you'll have to sit in a good area and avoid spooking them.The only driving ,road hunting advice I can give is if your in the beaverdell area stay low in the valley bottoms

GoatGuy
12-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Thank you goat,
I wasnt' very clear in my initial post. I haven't spent any time in white tail country this year so I just put in my first two days of hunting for them and I was basically just looking for tracks trying to find where they were at. I'm looking for a spot with a heavy population to start my sitting.

Down low near Kelowna, Cherryville, CV, Beaverdell, Rock Creek etc will all have lots of deer right now. If you're seeing tracks you're into deer.

MerrittBow
12-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Cherryville has no whitetails :mrgreen:

deeks1989
12-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Just got in from the mountain, saw 15-20 whitey's but had no tag...8-15

Buckmeister
12-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Can someone please clue me in.....didn't bow hunting for whitetails end on December 10th???? I checked the regs to make sure. Was there a change made after the regs came out??? If they are still on, then I have a debt to settle with a whitetail.

Stéphane
12-18-2010, 10:14 PM
They changed the dates. I was wondering too about how to find these out. Check this thread I started: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59882
It tells you how to be informed when they make a change.

The new dates/changes are here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...g/regulations/ (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/)

Hope that helps.

Stéphane

Marlin375
12-18-2010, 10:24 PM
2 more days to go...white camo and walk like a deer in that crunchy snow or don't walk at all.

Buckmeister
12-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Dang it!!! I had all last week off and I couldv'e been hunting the little boogers. Perhaps I can make one last ditch effort on Monday.

troutseeker
12-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Went out friday afternoon for a couple hours, nada. Making a day of it tomorrow, we'll see what I come up with!