PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Hunting laws

Gateholio
12-16-2010, 06:47 PM
I am making some moose bratwurst, and while I am doing this I am watching some WILD TV:-D

Not normally a big fan of Ted Nugent, but he did say something interesting on one of the shows:

"Every single state has some ridiculous laws that make it difficult to hunt for no real reason. Hunters should work to get rid of these stupid laws"

What BC hunting laws do you think are stupid? Any?:-D

GoatGuy
12-16-2010, 06:49 PM
The internet isn't a big enough place for a response to this topic. :twisted:

bowhunterbruce
12-16-2010, 06:51 PM
i can.t wait to follow this thread
bhb

TheProvider
12-16-2010, 06:51 PM
How about the use of bows around Whistler ;) ..... i joke i joke :D

pappy
12-16-2010, 06:53 PM
One person is going to start whining about natives and then the ball will start rolling. As for me I haven't found any laws that I think are stupid, yet.

Kody94
12-16-2010, 06:57 PM
I think its stupid that I can't shoot out of the window of my pick up truck.

TheProvider
12-16-2010, 06:58 PM
I haven't came across any that I thought was stupid... yet

d6dan
12-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Well, if you were disabled you could. :wink:

Iltasyuko
12-16-2010, 07:11 PM

HAHA LMAO!

LukaTisus
12-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Well, if you were disabled you could. :wink:

Lol beat me to it. I was gonna say all he had to do was break his back.

It does suck though, nothing worse than seeing a HUGE buck and having it spook 'cuz you had to step outta the vehicle.

RJ
12-16-2010, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't mind a white (black) bear rug

quadrakid
12-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I think its stupid to have a law that says you need proof of sex but does not spell it out in a clear and concise manner in the synopsis just what constitutes proof of sex.It may seem clear to some but we have had more than one lengthy thread that proves there is widespread confusion amongst hunters.

gutpile
12-16-2010, 07:22 PM
can only use the shotgun for blackbear or deer,but you can't use it for other big game. And yet you can use a bow for all big game.

Can't shoot a bear over your gut pile. Stupid laws!!

Tron
12-16-2010, 07:24 PM
The law that states legal shoot light is a half our after sun set and half hour before sun rise. I think it should be, if you can see it with natural light its legal to shoot.

RustyRipper
12-16-2010, 07:24 PM
How bout moose antler restrictions? how many times have you seen a moose and spent 10 minutes trying to figure out if its legal or not (luckily they're stupid enough to stand there that long) Ive passed up too many that probably were legal but I couldnt tell. Then there's all the moose that get left in the bush because of false ID or guys sneaking into camps to steal other guys immy antlers (had that happen before). should just be limited entry with a very short open season for any bull. just my .02

GoatGuy
12-16-2010, 07:32 PM
The law that states legal shoot light is a half our after sun set and half hour before sun rise. I think it should be, if you can see it with natural light its legal to shoot.

For big game animals it is 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset by law and typically by that point it is virtually dark.

RustyRipper
12-16-2010, 07:35 PM
not with good optics!

troutseeker
12-16-2010, 07:40 PM
I think it's stupid that I can't use a truck or quad as a rest to steady my shot!

ufishifish2
12-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I think it's stupid that I can't use a truck or quad as a rest to steady my shot!

X2. Put me in the right place at the right time, and I will still use the hood of my truck to make a better shot.

I know......, I'm a crazed rebel and an a$$hole too!

000buck
12-16-2010, 07:59 PM
division of managment units into zones with no clear bounderies leaving people to guess when ever they are near a boundery with diffent rules either side .... now I'M confused.
hell come to think of it most of the mu-s do not have clear bounderies either...... every good hunter should have a better cartographer and a a damn fine lawyer

NorthShoreX
12-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Small game that is restricted to private land only.

AT&T
12-16-2010, 08:19 PM
I do think that resting you rifle over a truck hood should be okay. I dont know why it is against the law for starters. I had know idea it was the same for quads.

Also the early morning evening hour after sunset thing. Totally dumb. Never heard a CO get on about this rule anyway. The timeing of light is was different depending on your part of the province for one. It is a grey area for sure.

KevinB
12-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Several hunting laws/regulations seem to exist solely to make the job of law enforcement persons easier. They put the onus on you to constantly prove your innocence, rather than on them to prove your guilt. I don't in general agree with that approach, although it's a much more efficient way to do things.

Mountaintop
12-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Maybe not really a hunting law and maybe not stupid but I would like to be able to carry a handgun while hunting.

Gateholio
12-16-2010, 08:58 PM

Legal as long as the firearm isn't in actual contact with the vehicle. But yes, silly.:-D

Gateholio
12-16-2010, 09:00 PM

I agree. If it's legal to take one step outside your truck and shoot, then what's the difference if you stay seated?:-D

shawnwells
12-16-2010, 09:08 PM
easy one for me right now....just got off our buffalo hunt...went in with only one sled because of the bad luck low snow weather...we all know where the buffalo are this time of year...broke a ski in the sled zone right after the 1st one went down....so now its over ....because of a goddamn trail restriction that makes no sense...the law is designed to keep you on the trail...i understand that...but the ground is frozen as hell....you could drill a hole and catch a fish on the trail ...its so frickin frozen....what in the hell....is the difference between drivin a sled or a quad...on a frozen ass trail...i swear to god...that restriction was the difference between punching and not punching this year...gay...

shawnwells
12-16-2010, 09:08 PM
easy one for me right now....just got off our buffalo hunt...went in with only one sled because of the bad luck low snow weather...we all know where the buffalo are this time of year...broke a ski in the sled zone right after the 1st one went down....so now its over ....because of a goddamn trail restriction that makes no sense...the law is designed to keep you on the trail...i understand that...but the ground is frozen as hell....you could drill a hole and catch a fish on the trail ...its so frickin frozen....what in the hell....is the difference between drivin a sled or a quad...on a frozen ass trail...i swear to god...that restriction was the difference between punching and not punching this year...gay...
p.s...good guys finish last....

bucktrack
12-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Its stupid that there is no law that prevents stupid people from hunting. Then if there were no stupid hunters we wouldn't need any stupid hunting regulations

J_T
12-16-2010, 09:42 PM
I agree. If it's legal to take one step outside your truck and shoot, then what's the difference if you stay seated?:-D
The difference is fair chase. Or a version of it.

But having the shooter standing up out of the sunroof should be fine.

quadrakid
12-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Shooting out of a truck is not a problem,LOADED guns in vehicles are. You can,t have one without the other.

proguide66
12-16-2010, 10:06 PM
I am making some moose bratwurst, and while I am doing this I am watching some WILD TV:-D

Not normally a big fan of Ted Nugent, but he did say something interesting on one of the shows:

"Every single state has some ridiculous laws that make it difficult to hunt for no real reason. Hunters should work to get rid of these stupid laws"

What BC hunting laws do you think are stupid? Any?:-D

you dirtbags drinking whiskey over there??

Ltbullken
12-16-2010, 10:07 PM
I think its stupid to have a law that says you need proof of sex but does not spell it out in a clear and concise manner in the synopsis just what constitutes proof of sex.It may seem clear to some but we have had more than one lengthy thread that proves there is widespread confusion amongst hunters.

Ha ha haaaa!! What do you mean you can't figure out proof of sex??! Seems obvious to me!! Bucks, bulls and balls!!

asurebet
12-16-2010, 10:09 PM

I'm with you on that one, friggin ridiculous

Ltbullken
12-16-2010, 10:12 PM

One shot from inside the cab of your truck and you'll be wishing you didn't do it.

Kody94
12-16-2010, 10:15 PM
One shot from inside the cab of your truck and you'll be wishing you didn't do it.

I was just joking, but J_T has got me thinking about sun-roofs....

lol

troutseeker
12-16-2010, 10:24 PM

If you lean out the window a bit you'd be fine.:-D

Everett
12-16-2010, 10:27 PM

Having shot many a shotgun round from inside a land rover I am not sure what you are talking about.

Sleep Robber
12-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Having shot many a shotgun round from inside a land rover I am not sure what you are talking about.

Were you on a drive by or what :confused: :mrgreen:

Gateholio
12-16-2010, 10:30 PM
The difference is fair chase. Or a version of it.

But having the shooter standing up out of the sunroof should be fine.

Moving slightly to your left shouldn't really determine fair chase.:-D

Shooting out of a truck is not a problem,LOADED guns in vehicles are. You can,t have one without the other.

Millions of loaded firearms are transported safely in vehicles every day- It can be done safely.:-D

you dirtbags drinking whiskey over there??

No, I wish...:-D

Steeleco
12-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Why if they want animal populations controlled under the pretenses of LEH, do they wait till access is a real PITA or the females of the species have likely been breed?

Iltasyuko
12-16-2010, 10:37 PM
No ammo in the magazine while riding a bicycle ... probably best to take it one step further and add while walking to the list.

gutpile
12-16-2010, 11:18 PM
No open season on tree huggers :-D

bearhunter338-06
12-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Years ago in B.C. Outdoors they had a story on old laws that where still on the books. The one thats still sticks in my mind: "It is illegal to hunt fireflys at night with a bow and arrow". I kept that magazine just wish I knew where it was.

Old Crow
12-17-2010, 12:53 AM
For big game animals it is 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset by law and typically by that point it is virtually dark.

Yes, it's an hour after sunset in BC, and that's kind of a stupid law....... an hour after the sun drops below the horizon it's pitch dark, and you should be looking for your truck by then :-)

Singleshotneeded
12-17-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm with leaning your rifle over your hood or atv for a shot being illegal...anything that makes for a more accurate shot is in the best
interest of the animal...

recoil
12-17-2010, 01:49 AM
I would say the bag limits are the some of the dumbest, regions with some of the highest deer concentrations (1,4,7) also have the strictest bag limits and no shooting areas which seem to result in higher than desired deer numbers. In turn, this leads to negative interactions such as deer strikes on the highways or deer chasing dogs and kids in neighborhoods while hunters look on in frustration.

On the other hand in region 2 where there are seemingly lower concentrations of deer it is pretty much "any buck" all fall long from sept 10 to dec 15.

brad ferris
12-17-2010, 02:05 AM
As was mentioned earlier the law prohibiting hunting with a handgun is very stupid.this is so obviously a political measure and not a wildlife management issue. Maybe if we can ever beat this long gun registry BS we can stand together on this issue next.

hunter1947
12-17-2010, 03:31 AM
I would like LEH draw system fixed so that it is more fair to others ,stop repeaters from getting dawn every few years..

CanuckShooter
12-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Why do they have 7a and 7b.....dumb....and MUs, there are way too many with no clear boundaries....dumb....and IMMY moose with mature animal LEH...come on at least double them and offer up at least to a 5 point in conjunction with the 'big bull' designation....and the two week calf moose season....open it up and spread the hunters out a little, or offer a different season for locals so we could avoid the 'rush'.

AT&T
12-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Using the truck for a rest. Well ya been there done that. There are times this makes complete sense. I guess then it comes down to shooting while still in the truck. Then the barrel out the window driving around. How many times have I seen that. Loaded rifles in trucks. Hell it sounds like Surrey on a Saturday night.

jamfarm
12-17-2010, 07:41 AM
I gotta say I not thrilled about the Permit to Accompany regulation/law. When you compare Alberta's version you'll see that the PtA here is a restrictive hassle

AT&T
12-17-2010, 09:49 AM
In the Koots we need a 12 month open season on wolves for sure. Why close it for a few months considering some of us are having issues.

carnivore
12-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Hey! I found a "smart law" when and why was it changed? The 1935-36 B.C. Game Law Regulations state under NOTICE TO SPORTSMEN" and I quote "Under amendments to the game tag regulations a system was put into effect commencing with the season 1933, whereby any person purchasing deer- tags will be given credit in the following season for any unused tags, provided he produces his old licence and the unused tags at the time he makes his application for a new licence, the number of unused tags then being entered on the new licence." Hmmm, I wonder if this regulation is still in effect, if so I would be owed a lot of free tags. :mrgreen:

Sleep Robber
12-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Hey! I found a "smart law" when and why was it changed? The 1935-36 B.C. Game Law Regulations state under NOTICE TO SPORTSMEN" and I quote "Under amendments to the game tag regulations a system was put into effect commencing with the season 1933, whereby any person purchasing deer- tags will be given credit in the following season for any unused tags, provided he produces his old licence and the unused tags at the time he makes his application for a new licence, the number of unused tags then being entered on the new licence." Hmmm, I wonder if this regulation is still in effect, if so I would be owed a lot of free tags. :mrgreen:

Just imagine if people could get their money back. I imagine there's a few out there that could book a nice holiday with all that cash. :mrgreen:

Slee
12-17-2010, 10:18 AM

I Agree.......

Gateholio
12-17-2010, 10:49 AM
I would say the bag limits are the some of the dumbest, regions with some of the highest deer concentrations (1,4,7) also have the strictest bag limits and no shooting areas which seem to result in higher than desired deer numbers. In turn, this leads to negative interactions such as deer strikes on the highways or deer chasing dogs and kids in neighborhoods while hunters look on in frustration.

On the other hand in region 2 where there are seemingly lower concentrations of deer it is pretty much "any buck" all fall long from sept 10 to dec 15.

Region 2 has fewer restrictions because there is no shortage of deer. There is a shortage of access, though. Much or Reg 2 is very dense forest and it's very steep. Hunter success is low because of this, not because of lack of deer.

Agree with you about other regions that have too tight restrictions!

12-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I dont understand why we cant count browtines in a 4pt season. There would be less confusion then.

Rock Doctor
12-17-2010, 11:45 AM
It's illegal to kill a Sasquatch in BC

bowhunterbruce
12-17-2010, 11:52 AM
in all my years of hunting i have never seen or read that in the regs or the wildlife act.could ya please show me where i could find it.:wink:

Ozone
12-17-2010, 12:03 PM
in all my years of hunting i have never seen or read that in the regs or the wildlife act.could ya please show me where i could find it.:wink:

Page 14 under What is "Wildlife"? says if it doesnt have a season or is not Schedule B or C, it cant be killed.

rocksteady
12-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Restricting shooting of gophers (Columbian Ground Squirrels) to Private Land Only????:confused::confused: in Region 4

palmer
12-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Why do they have 7a and 7b.....dumb....and MUs, there are way too many with no clear boundaries....dumb....and IMMY moose with mature animal LEH...come on at least double them and offer up at least to a 5 point in conjunction with the 'big bull' designation....and the two week calf moose season....open it up and spread the hunters out a little, or offer a different season for locals so we could avoid the 'rush'.

I love the idea of a different season for locals....but all my buddies at the coast may disagree....:wink:

Drillbit
12-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Don't like how a shotgun, shooting pellets, has to have the magazine limited to 2 shots. Especially don't like that for shooting schedule C animals.
Also don't like how it isn't manditory for people to shoot wolves when they see them.
Also don't like many of the motor vehicle access regulations. Even if you can't use a quad to hunt an area, you should be allowed to use one to get meat out. Lots of needless waste.
Don't like how a gun can't be loaded in or on a motorvehicle.
Should be able to shoot out of the back of a truck (moving or not).

Tenacious Billy
12-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Should be able to shoot out of the back of a truck (moving or not).

Me thinks that shooting out the back of a "moving" truck is maybe not the best idea......:wink:

Drillbit
12-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Depends what you want to shoot. Would be handy on the farm for shooting crows.

12-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Me thinks that shooting out the back of a "moving" truck is maybe not the best idea......:wink:

They do it on the A-TEAM all the time,,,, cant be that dangerous.
B.A still seems to blow the crap outa the radiator's all the time and not hurt anyone.

warnniklz
12-17-2010, 03:42 PM

good enough for me. if it shoes up in your sights(night vision excluded) I think it should be legal

sawmill
12-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Restricting shooting of gophers (Columbian Ground Squirrels) to Private Land Only????:confused::confused: in Region 4
YEAH!!!!I agree,they are everywhere here.

LukaTisus
12-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Gophers! Those little *******s. One of my relatives up here married a hippie, and he stopped allowing us to go clean them off the farm. There's gotta be 200+ holes up there now, and every one of 'em with a head popping out. :|

warnniklz
12-17-2010, 03:52 PM
- not allowed to have a fifty cal turret mounted on your hunting/war wagon
- not allowed fully automatic weapons
- not allowed to use explosives
- not allowed to shoot at noises in the bush
- no open season on bitchy ex-girlfriends

I don't understand these laws

sawmill
12-17-2010, 03:52 PM

How can that be?They are mythical creatures same as Unicorns and OgoPogo.Good luck chuckin` my ass in jail for shooting a fairytale.

By the way,I will be in my hot tub again this year, trying for a clear shot at Rudolf.Trouble is,I can`t stay awake till midnight.I just wake up all pruney and hung over.

Tenacious Billy
12-17-2010, 04:19 PM
They do it on the A-TEAM all the time,,,, cant be that dangerous.
B.A still seems to blow the crap outa the radiator's all the time and not hurt anyone.

That's true....but remember, they were a highly trained Special Forces Operative. Funny shit though, amid all the gunfire and bullets, not a single casuality was ever claimed on that show.

carnivore
12-17-2010, 04:45 PM
How can that be?They are mythical creatures same as Unicorns and OgoPogo.Good luck chuckin` my ass in jail for shooting a fairytale.

By the way,I will be in my hot tub again this year, trying for a clear shot at Rudolf.Trouble is,I can`t stay awake till midnight.I just wake up all pruney and hung over.

Careful Sawmill, if you go taking a poke at Ogopogo you could wind up in deep dodo.:mrgreen:

"
Ogopogo, like the Lake Champlain creature enjoys protected wildlife status as a result of legislation enacted by the Province of British Columbia in 1989. It is illegal to harm, kill, capture or disturb the creature and is one of the most enlightened pieces of legislation ever written in the defence and protection of endangered animals."

12-17-2010, 04:54 PM

Sawmill,
I'm sorry
I stole that for my sig line, That is one of the funniest things i've herd in a while!

chilko
12-17-2010, 04:58 PM
The requirement to pack out the edible portions of a black bear. Don't have to with griz, wolf etc. but the assumption they are less likely to have parasites means we pack them out? Thats fine but what if you see a booner on a pack in sheep hunt and it turns out to be 500 lbs of " inedible meat"

happyhunter
12-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Having to take the meat from black bear sucks. (unless you really love your black bear meat and to those that do good on ya, to each their own)
Not being able to carry a sidearm ;)
Magazine restrictions.

CanuckShooter
12-17-2010, 05:31 PM
campfires cannot be bigger than 18", you cannot cut a live tree without a permit, you cannot build a trail....you have to carry a hunting license, a PAL AND a registration card for each firearm....and atv liability insurance....and for boat hunters you gotta pass a rental boat safety checklist or carry a boat operators card tooooo...all dumb shyt created by dummmmdummmms

suskwa
12-17-2010, 05:35 PM
why are the special hunting oppertunities provided to youth and seniors only avaiable in a select few m u's and not equally in all??? cheers !

slowkey
12-17-2010, 05:43 PM
campfires cannot be bigger than 18", you cannot cut a live tree without a permit, you cannot build a trail....you have to carry a hunting license, a PAL AND a registration card for each firearm....and atv liability insurance....and for boat hunters you gotta pass a rental boat safety checklist or carry a boat operators card tooooo...all dumb shyt created by dummmmdummmms

Interested to see to see how many people actually carry their reg card for each firearm, atv insurance? I admit I am guilty of not carrying

As for the 18 inch fire uh oh I'm going to jail

Surrey Boy
12-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Predator seasons all stop when kids are out of school. June 15/30 - Labour Day, there's minimal hunting. I think it's to kill the opportunity to hunt in the summer with your kids.

silvicon
12-17-2010, 07:33 PM
why should anyone want to hunt with kids?

Anyway, I have not found any 'stupid' game laws in BC.
Seeing all the yahoos out there, one can not help but asking for tougher laws!

Surrey Boy
12-17-2010, 07:42 PM
why should anyone want to hunt with kids?

Anyway, I have not found any 'stupid' game laws in BC.
Seeing all the yahoos out there, one can not help but asking for tougher laws!

Are you sarcastic or trolling or serious? No offense meant to you, but I can't tell.

Hunting with parents is one of the best things possible in the upbringing of a child. It builds respect for parents, resources, one's own body, and allows for legitimate pride to be instilled in a young person. Sailing (which I find much more dangerous than hunting) and fishing with my father and grandparents taught me more responsibility than all the gov't education I've ever had.

N-W-Redneck
12-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Another vote for the "No Handguns" rules. There are several circumstances where having a handgun would be the perfect tool. I would love to be able to carry a .22 for grouse & other small game while hunting larger species. There are also many places I hunt where the bush is very thick, and being able to carry a .44mag or .45colt revolver would be ideal. Or some areas that are a mix of thick brush and logging slashes where a scoped single shot like the T/C Contender in a rifle cartridge with a 250-300yd range would fit the bill nicely.

Kitimat Killer
12-17-2010, 09:06 PM
im my area it is stupid well i think it is they closed the september bow season for doe but leave it open for the december season why in my mind i would shoot a doe in sept then hunt bucks the rest of the season and not shoot a doe that has a baby in her now when december rolls around just does not make sence to me just my thoughts

kk

hillclimber
12-18-2010, 12:08 AM
I think there should be a GOS for moose for region 5 even if it is a short immy season. I also think you should be able to pack a handgun in the bush for self defense. Also once you are able to drive by yourself (17) you should be able to hunt by yourself. Maybe even 15. Most kids who hunt are fairly responsible by that age anyways.

Benelli FanBoy
12-18-2010, 12:45 AM
1. Only allowed slugs in a shotgun if you are carrying it as predator defence, should also be able to have 00 buck shot with the plug out.

2. Having to abide by fair chase for Schedule C animals, such as shooting from motor vehicle.

3. No handgun for protection

Old Crow
12-18-2010, 12:55 AM
aaahhhh.......a .22 sidearm for chickens when I'm Mulie hunting....... now I'm drooling. How many times have I walked right by grouse when carrying my rifle, and gone home empty-handed. Too damn many, I can tell you. A sidearm would have made sure I had something in the game pouch to take home that night. Kind of rewards road hunters, as they can carry all the guns they want, and hop out of the truck, but penalizes the ones that burn boot leather, dontcha think?

sawmill
12-18-2010, 04:56 AM
why are the special hunting oppertunities provided to youth and seniors only avaiable in a select few m u's and not equally in all??? cheers !

If you are an old guy who acts like a kid..........do you get to hunt twice as long?

silvertipp
12-18-2010, 05:07 AM
they need to get there shit together with regards to hunting out of a boat ,and carrying a loaded firearm in a boat these laws have changed or been reworded several times

hunter1947
12-18-2010, 06:50 AM
If you are an old guy who acts like a kid..........do you get to hunt twice as long?

I like your idea Joe ,I act like a kid feel like I am 30 :mrgreen:..

Spitzer
12-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Maybe not really a hunting law and maybe not stupid but I would like to be able to carry a handgun while hunting.

X2 this would be nice given the appropriate carrying courses.

safarichris
12-18-2010, 11:58 AM
The internet isn't a big enough place for a response to this topic. :twisted:

I will ditto that Goat guy. I have no idea who our cool heads in Wildlife management are trying to emulate, they need to get on a different trail and out of the muskeg. Many of their polices and programs are plain and simply a waste their time and our money. Some should be quite frankly shit canned. ''Pronto'' before they screw up our remaining wildlife and whats left. But that will never happen because we don't have much say in the matter. They are entrenched in bullshit, lazy , innefficient F******fs waiting retirement.
better known as ''Lifers''.

115 or bust
12-19-2010, 09:28 AM

Thats only 5 days longer than region 1, most of the no shooting areas are related to safety not deer management, and lastly deer numbers are only high in certain areas of region 1 more than half of the region has very low density's of deer.

Marlin375
12-19-2010, 10:46 AM
No handguns.....at least while hunting, to be reasonable.

Considering a firearm with bullets in the mag to be "loaded" ....if there is one in the pipe with the bolt closed it's loaded....there is a HUGE difference.

Like when you return to your quad from a morning of hunting to have a sandwich, pull your bolt back and lay your gun on the seat and a CO comes along......pretty Stupid Hunting Law is going to cost you a few bucks.

Gateholio
12-19-2010, 11:40 AM
The "no handguns for hunting" rule is definitely a stupid law. It makes no sense that they are considered so much more terrifying than a rifle or shotgun.:-D

Seeadler
12-19-2010, 11:44 AM
No handgun hunting. No shotgun with slugs for most game.

Sleep Robber
12-19-2010, 11:52 AM
The "no handguns for hunting" rule is definitely a stupid law. It makes no sense that they are considered so much more terrifying than a rifle or shotgun.:-D

X2 on that Gatehouse. :wink:

Besides, what if my one armed buddy wants to go for a hunt :confused:

They make certain permits for disabled hunters {shoot from a vehicle}, which I think is a great thing, but a disability comes in a lot of different forms.

Joel
12-19-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't like how you can get dinged for having your gun loaded in camp, In the camper while sleeping etc.

Gateholio
12-19-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't like how you can get dinged for having your gun loaded in camp, In the camper while sleeping etc.

If the camper is int he back of a truck, I suppose you could gt a ticket. If it's not, then it's same as a tent.:-D

brad ferris
12-19-2010, 01:58 PM
A few years ago I had an opportunity to chase coons with hounds down in Kentucky. I'd love to do it up here. The problem is no hunting at night and no use of an illuminating device to hunt. Unless I'm missing something in the regs.

tomcat
12-19-2010, 02:08 PM
When I lived in the lower mainland many, many years ago ago we were able to get raccoon night hunting permits. Have you checked into this with the Wildlife branch?

E.B.
12-19-2010, 03:44 PM
having a open calf moose season where you have to draw a cow or bull tag is stupid, not being able to retrieve a downed animal with a quad in a zone is stupid. We shouldnt be shooting calves if there is enough of a shortage of animals to require limited entry.

steel_ram
12-19-2010, 04:11 PM
having a open calf moose season where you have to draw a cow or bull tag is stupid, not being able to retrieve a downed animal with a quad in a zone is stupid. We shouldnt be shooting calves if there is enough of a shortage of animals to require limited entry.

I think you have a bit to learn about some very basic wildlife mgt. principles. If any animal is expendible, it would be the calves.

Why would you shoot an animal where you require an ATV to retrieve it in a no ATV zone? That would be . . . ummmm . . . stupid.

kgs
12-19-2010, 04:46 PM
great thread interesting topics...:)

bearslayer01
12-19-2010, 05:29 PM
lol heres somthing funny when u are fishing by yourself in a boat u can legally fish with 2 rods at least out here u can but if your ice fishing u cant.... so if u haul your aluminum boat out on the lake abd drill 2 holes u should be able 2 use 2 rods whats the difference...

steel_ram
12-19-2010, 05:40 PM
So if you can legally fish from a boat with the engine off. (see other thread) why can't you shoot from a truck parked in a deep puddle with the keys out of the ignition? Whats the diff?

Marlin375
12-19-2010, 05:54 PM
So if you can legally fish from a boat with the engine off. (see other thread) why can't you shoot from a truck parked in a deep puddle with the keys out of the ignition? Whats the diff?

Put your boat on top of your truck....as long as the outboard is up you should be good to go:mrgreen:.

d6dan
12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
If the camper is int he back of a truck, I suppose you could gt a ticket. If it's not, then it's same as a tent.:-D

A camper,tent,or even a shack is not considered a "place of residence" therefore you can have a loaded firearm for protection.

30-378-magnum
12-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Shot gun with shot only area on south island why not a slug

Gateholio
12-19-2010, 06:10 PM
A camper,tent,or even a shack is not considered a "place of residence" therefore you can have a loaded firearm for protection.

I can have a loaded firearm at my place of residence. As long as I am home, that is...:-D

Centerfire
12-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Ok, clearly I need to read the reg's again to freshen up.

I'm sure that if I had a copy of the regs with me at the moment I would eventually find it, but I am at work right now.

Were does it state that you can't use the hood of your truck as a rest? Also, where does it state that you have to use slugs as predator protection?

-Centerfire

Gateholio
12-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Were does it state that you can't use the hood of your truck as a rest? Also, where does it state that you have to use slugs as predator protection?

-Centerfire

Nowhere.

You can't have a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle (but if your feet is on the ground and the gun is not touching the hood, then it's not on the vehicle)

You can use shot for predator protection, just can't hunt with shot in an unplugged magazine.

500grhollowpoint
12-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Leaning on a vehicle is legal.

There is only 20 threads about it. I emailed this guy Stephen.MacIver@gov.bc.ca and here is what he said. PS I'm not fixing up all the FONT crap, I've posted this on here a hundred times.

Hello XXXX

I write to clarify the response sent to you on September 11, 2009. After discussion with the COS and legal counsel, it has been suggested that leaning against a vehicle to steady your shot is not illegal, provided both feet are on the ground. However, it is not recommended, as there is a limited field of vision in an area where there is a high probability that other people are around.

Regards,

Stephen MacIverFish and Wildlife BranchMinistry of Environment(250) 387-9767

j270wsm
12-19-2010, 06:57 PM
I didnt read all the posts yet, so hopefully it hasnt been said yet.

I dont understand why we are allowed to bow hunt sheep in the first 9 days of september,

d6dan
12-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Nowhere.

You can't have a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle .

Wrong Gatehouse, If your disabled, you can have a loaded firearm in a vehicle providing the vehicle is in a stationary position and the ignition shut off..:-D. Otherwise how could I hunt?...:wink:

Gateholio
12-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Wrong Gatehouse, If your disabled, you can have a loaded firearm in a vehicle providing the vehicle is in a stationary position and the ignition shut off..:-D. Otherwise how could I hunt?...:wink:

Yeah, cops and armored car guards can have loaded guns in cars, too. Most people, no. I have always wondered if the Firearms Act trumps the special disabled permits, actually. Probably one more thing that the idiots that wrote the FA didn't think of.........

butthead
12-19-2010, 07:26 PM
hunting regs page 18 item 22 states

to discharge, carry or have in possession
a firearm containing live ammunition in
its breech or in its magazine attached to
the firearm, in or on a railway car, motor
vehicle, sleigh, aircraft, bicycle or other
conveyance.

in or on being the key word on

brad ferris
12-19-2010, 10:55 PM
When I lived in the lower mainland many, many years ago ago we were able to get raccoon night hunting permits. Have you checked into this with the Wildlife branch?

Nope but maybe I will next summer. Hate the thought of a special permit and the cash grab that will likely accompany it.

MuleyMadness
12-20-2010, 12:29 AM
hunting regs page 18 item 22 states

to discharge, carry or have in possession
a firearm containing live ammunition in
its breech or in its magazine attached to
the firearm, in or on a railway car, motor
vehicle, sleigh, aircraft, bicycle or other
conveyance.

in or on being the key word on

If you rest your pack, lunch box, coat, etc on your vehicle, and the rifle on that, and the rifle doesn't touch your vehicle, and your feet are on the ground...you are not on the vehicle, and neither is the firearm.

mtnmanmike
12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't understand the rule not allowing you to carry a firearm in a pursuit only season for cougars. What happens if the cougar turns on your dogs on the ground? What are you going to do go Jim Booey on it with your hunting knife or try to beat it with a stick?

Ron.C
12-20-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't understand the rule not allowing you to carry a firearm in a pursuit only season for cougars. What happens if the cougar turns on your dogs on the ground? What are you going to do go Jim Booey on it with your hunting knife or try to beat it with a stick?

Bear spray works:wink:

mtnmanmike
12-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Bear spray works:wink:
I'm sure my dogs would love that in their face and up their nose! LOL

Phreddy
12-20-2010, 12:05 PM
division of managment units into zones with no clear bounderies leaving people to guess when ever they are near a boundery with diffent rules either side .... now I'M confused.
hell come to think of it most of the mu-s do not have clear bounderies either...... every good hunter should have a better cartographer and a a damn fine lawyer
Amen to that. On the hinky map they have in the regs it looks like Hwy 97C (okanagan Connector) is the boundary between 8:06 and 3:12. There are a lot of these idiotic boundaries that have no sense to them.

Phreddy
12-20-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm with the crowd that feels that bow hunters are given precedence over rifle hunters for all manner of big game. It essentially gives the bow hunter who also owns a rifle a huge advantage over the firearm hunter with far more hunting time and opportunity. I'm a senior with a bad set of wrists and can't draw a bow like some healthy young buck. And no, there is no senior season in Region 8 that I'm aware of. Hunting is hunting and for years we all hunted at the same time with lots of opportunity for everyone. Now it's just another block in the way of the fiream hunters. And they wonder why their hunter recruitment numbers are decilining. You practically need a university degree to figure out where, when, and what you can hunt anymore.
That's my rant for the day.
Good topic.

Phreddy
12-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Having to take the meat from black bear sucks. (unless you really love your black bear meat and to those that do good on ya, to each their own)
Not being able to carry a sidearm ;)
Magazine restrictions.
So, why kill it if you're not going to eat it?

12-20-2010, 05:55 PM

would love to have one while hunting. maybe one of those 45's that can take 410 shells for grouse.

j270wsm
12-20-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm with the crowd that feels that bow hunters are given precedence over rifle hunters for all manner of big game. It essentially gives the bow hunter who also owns a rifle a huge advantage over the firearm hunter with far more hunting time and opportunity. I'm a senior with a bad set of wrists and can't draw a bow like some healthy young buck. And no, there is no senior season in Region 8 that I'm aware of. Hunting is hunting and for years we all hunted at the same time with lots of opportunity for everyone. Now it's just another block in the way of the fiream hunters. And they wonder why their hunter recruitment numbers are decilining. You practically need a university degree to figure out where, when, and what you can hunt anymore.
Good topic.

Are you serious?

Are you saying that letting bow hunters hunt 9 days earlier and for a month later that we are being given an unfair advantage. I would think that having to be within 50yds compared shooting out to 500yds would give us bow hunters the disadvantage, never mind the fact that I dont like december bow hunting in knee deep snow when it is -10 to -20. Didn't they open a youth/senior season in region 8 this year.

steel_ram
12-20-2010, 09:42 PM
As long as a special bow season is an added opportunity and is not taking away from the regular rifle season I do not know why anyone should have a problem. Jealous I guess? There's nothing stopping most hunters from taking advantage of the opportunity. Buy a bow or X-bow, practise, your set. I guess it is kind of hard to road bowhunt.

Fox
12-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Good topic.
You might look into a cross bow. Some reasons for having bow zones in certain areas is the amount of non hunting traffic they may receive.

Onesock
12-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Allowing x-bows in bow only season!!!!!!!! Take that.

Phreddy
12-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Are you serious?

Are you saying that letting bow hunters hunt 9 days earlier and for a month later that we are being given an unfair advantage. I would think that having to be within 50yds compared shooting out to 500yds would give us bow hunters the disadvantage, never mind the fact that I dont like december bow hunting in knee deep snow when it is -10 to -20. Didn't they open a youth/senior season in region 8 this year.

Most certainly. After all, most bow hunter I know also hunt the regular season with a rifle and so, as you so appropriately put it, have an extra 40 days of hunting advantage. Don't give me the 50 v/s 500 yd crap either. Most game shot, rifle or bow is within about a 75 to 100 yd. range, at least in this region. What makes a bow hunter, sitting by a game trail waiting for a critter to come by any different that a rifle hunter doing the same?

Phreddy
12-21-2010, 09:03 AM
As long as a special bow season is an added opportunity and is not taking away from the regular rifle season I do not know why anyone should have a problem. Jealous I guess? There's nothing stopping most hunters from taking advantage of the opportunity. Buy a bow or X-bow, practise, your set. I guess it is kind of hard to road bowhunt.
Moose season here was cut by a good two weeks this year. If you want to road hunt with a bow, go for it. No, not Jealous, just looking for a level playing field.
I'll probably do the crossbow thing if I can afford one this year, but still feel that the choice should be mine as to when I go out with the bow or out with the rifle for the same critters.

Kody94
12-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Most certainly. After all, most bow hunter I know also hunt the regular season with a rifle and so, as you so appropriately put it, have an extra 40 days of hunting advantage. Don't give me the 50 v/s 500 yd crap either. Most game shot, rifle or bow is within about a 75 to 100 yd. range, at least in this region. What makes a bow hunter, sitting by a game trail waiting for a critter to come by any different that a rifle hunter doing the same?

Where does it say in the regs that you can't participate in the bow season? :) Do shotgun hunters also have an advantage over you because they are allowed to use their shotgun to hunt waterfowl, and you can't use your rifle? ;)

To your last question, if you'd ever bowhunted, you'd know the answer. I'll save you time though, the answer is "success rate". As a 'fer instance', weekend before last I had 9 does within 15 yards of my stand, and could see another 2 40 yards away. Never got a shot at any of them, because I could not get to full draw without spooking them. If I had a rifle, there'd be a dead deer in the empty part of my freezer right now.

I actually hunted for 9 AMs &/or AFTs between Dec 1 and 20. Saw a total of approx 75 legal animals within 20 yards of my stand...none died. Getting a doe with a rifle would have been a slam dunk...out and back home in less than 2 hrs.

There is a BIG difference in success rate, and the overall number of animals harvested. Bow seasons are practically "non-consumptive", and are additional opportunity for anyone to take part in that have little if any impact on the sustainability of the harvest.

JMHO. :)

Kody94
12-21-2010, 09:32 AM
... but still feel that the choice should be mine as to when I go out with the bow or out with the rifle for the same critters.

The choice is yours....whether you want to participate in the additional opportunity, or not.

Marlin375
12-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Amen to that. On the hinky map they have in the regs it looks like Hwy 97C (okanagan Connector) is the boundary between 8:06 and 3:12. There are a lot of these idiotic boundaries that have no sense to them.

The Connector is the boundary. It was moved after the connector was built in 86......or are you saying that the original boundry still stands and the regs have been a missprint since then?

Phreddy
12-21-2010, 09:38 AM
The Connector is the boundary. It was moved after the connector was built in 86......or are you saying that the original boundry still stands and the regs have been a missprint since then?
According to backroads maps on the GPS, the boundary criss crosses the highway.

Phreddy
12-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Where does it say in the regs that you can't participate in the bow season? :) Do shotgun hunters also have an advantage over you because they are allowed to use their shotgun to hunt waterfowl, and you can't use your rifle? ;)

To your last question, if you'd ever bowhunted, you'd know the answer. I'll save you time though, the answer is "success rate". As a 'fer instance', weekend before last I had 9 does within 15 yards of my stand, and could see another 2 40 yards away. Never got a shot at any of them, because I could not get to full draw without spooking them. If I had a rifle, there'd be a dead deer in the empty part of my freezer right now.

I actually hunted for 9 AMs &/or AFTs between Dec 1 and 20. Saw a total of approx 75 legal animals within 20 yards of my stand...none died. Getting a doe with a rifle would have been a slam dunk...out and back home in less than 2 hrs.

There is a BIG difference in success rate. Bow seasons are practically "non-consumptive", and are additional opportunity for anyone to take part in that have little if any impact on the sustainability of the harvest.

JMHO. :)

We don't have a rifle doe season, except for white tails, in this area. Wouldn't want to shoot one anyway. They are what keep the population growing.
My argument isn't with bow hunters, but rather with the fact that we're shut out of equal hunting opportunities because we choose to hunt with a rifle. For many more years that I can remember, we have always had a hunting season that included all, rifle and bow, hunters and was much longer than now. Now we get special seasons for kids, bows, etc., and the general open season is one hell of a lot shorter for the guy who uses a rifle. What's next? A special season for fags?

steel_ram
12-21-2010, 09:47 AM
It's not a bow vs. rifle thing at all. It's a bow vs. no season. It is an additional opportunity for anyone willing and wanting to use it. It's not a competition, no one has an "advantage".

Phreddy, seasons aren't being shortened to give other user groups advantage.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Interesting. Where did you come up with these numbers??:?

SSS

steel_ram
12-21-2010, 09:52 AM
What's next? A special season for fags?

I wouldn't keep your hopes up on that one Phreddy, but ya never know, they may have a special season just for the likes of you big fella.:wink:

Kody94
12-21-2010, 09:53 AM
We don't have a rifle doe season, except for white tails, in this area. Wouldn't want to shoot one anyway. They are what keep the population growing.
My argument isn't with bow hunters, but rather with the fact that we're shut out of equal hunting opportunities because we choose to hunt with a rifle. For many more years that I can remember, we have always had a hunting season that included all, rifle and bow, hunters and was much longer than now. Now we get special seasons for kids, bows, etc., and the general open season is one hell of a lot shorter for the guy who uses a rifle. What's next? A special season for fags?

I don't know where you live, but around here the seasons are probably longer than they have ever been. Any bow-only seasons that I am aware of were added to the GOS...no GOS was eliminated to make room for bow seasons that I am aware of. When and where did the GOS get "one helluva lot shorter"?

You certainly aren't shut out of anything. Anyone can choose to participate in the bow seasons. They make all different kinds....suitable for kids, ladies, disabled folks and even curmudgeons. :)

Phreddy
12-21-2010, 09:54 AM
It's not a bow vs. rifle thing at all. It's a bow vs. no season. It is an additional opportunity for anyone willing and wanting to use it. It's not a competition, no one has an "advantage".

Thanks steel-ram. That's exactly my point. Why is the special advantage not applied equally to those of us who only hunt with the one weapon, a rifle? When I started hunting in the 1950' the season included all who wanted to hunt, whether it be with rifle, bow, spear, slingshot, rocks, whatever. The season was a healthy length and I've watched over the years as it's eroded to the point where one needs a degree to know if he or she (or it) is legally hunting or not. That season included all hunters and there was much more cameradie amongst the hunting crowd than today where it seems that everyone has "special" rights over everyone else.

Marlin375
12-21-2010, 09:56 AM
I have found a number of places were the backroads maps are pretty sketchy when the boundry gets into flat terrain or crosses a valley and comes away from the "height of land" or a river/creek.

I'd stick with the regs and your best interpretation of that, or e-mail MOE and keep the reply with you for when you end up with a gut pile close to a boundry.

I like the old orange MU boundry signs...there are still a few out there that are not shot to sh#t, but not as many as there could/should be.

dawn2dusk
12-21-2010, 10:00 AM
not with good optics!
in germany they hunt at night in the farm fields. Right beside highways and villages etc and with high powered center fire. Legal with or without night vision. The caveat is that hunters have to get some pretty heavy liability insurance.

My overall beef with Canada and BC laws are that they are way to risk adverse compared to other countries. Laws need to be based on ability to enforce and cost benefit analysis (outcome on society) and decision making not skewed by politics. One person gets hurt or minority group files law suit and the govt basically gives in, independent on the reality of the impact it truly will have Ie. pleaseure boaters card and gun registry

steel_ram
12-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks steel-ram. That's exactly my point. Why is the special advantage not applied equally to those of us who only hunt with the one weapon, a rifle? When I started hunting in the 1950' the season included all who wanted to hunt, whether it be with rifle, bow, spear, slingshot, rocks, whatever. The season was a healthy length and I've watched over the years as it's eroded to the point where one needs a degree to know if he or she (or it) is legally hunting or not. That season included all hunters and there was much more cameradie amongst the hunting crowd than today where it seems that everyone has "special" rights over everyone else.

You don't get it! Would you rather see the wildlife managers completely close a season? That's the option; completely close the season due to wildlife population concerns, or we leave a thread of a season, an "opportunity" that anyone can pursue. The bow season still lets people get out but has almost zero impact on wildlife population, at least at the rate it is now.
I'm sure if everyone and their dog took up bowhunting, and in the remote chance hunter success improved, the seasons would again have to be adjusted to maintain the same management goal.

PS. I haven't bowhunted for decades, but I get it.

Kody94
12-21-2010, 10:22 AM
You don't get it! Would you rather see the wildlife managers completely close a season? That's the option; completely close the season due to wildlife population concerns, or we leave a thread of a season, an "opportunity" that anyone can pursue. The bow season still lets people get out but has almost zero impact on wildlife population, at least at the rate it is now.
I'm sure if everyone and their dog took up bowhunting, and in the remote chance hunter success improved, the seasons would again have to be adjusted to maintain the same management goal.

PS. I haven't bowhunted for decades, but I get it.

You definitely do get it. Thanks. :)

Marlin375
12-21-2010, 10:35 AM
To add to this bow vs rifle thing.

Anybody that thinks you have an advantage with a bow needs to try it.

The advantage the Bow hunter has is that it makes you an extremely effective killer when you have a gun in your hands. Once you learn what it takes to get within bow range it becomes very obvious that the rifle hunters are the ones with the advantage....no question.

signed ...a bow/rifle hunter.

Ambush
12-21-2010, 09:05 PM
The only reason I bow hunt is to p!ss off people like Phreddy.:mrgreen:

Get a bow Phreddy and give it an honest try. You may get excited all over again with hunting. And you're a senior; what else you got to do but hunt earlier and longer??

Phreddy
12-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Interesting. Where did you come up with these numbers??:?

SSS

from j270WSM who stated,

"Are you serious?

Are you saying that letting bow hunters hunt 9 days earlier and for a month later that we are being given an unfair advantage. I would think that having to be within 50yds compared shooting out to 500yds would give us bow hunters the disadvantage, never mind the fact that I dont like december bow hunting in knee deep snow when it is -10 to -20. Didn't they open a youth/senior season in region 8 this year."

As far as the distance mentioned, by my own experiences and those of others who I've talked to. Where does the 500 yd figure come from mentioned earlier in the post? The longest I've ever shot a moose at is 350 yds. and that was just once. Most moose, and deer have been in the range mentioned in my post.

Phreddy
12-21-2010, 10:35 PM
The only reason I bow hunt is to p!ss off people like Phreddy.:mrgreen:

Get a bow Phreddy and give it an honest try. You may get excited all over again with hunting. And you're a senior; what else you got to do but hunt earlier and longer??

Uh.....where do you find in the regs that as a senior I can hunt earlier and longer.
that only applies to indians, bow hunters, and kids.

Phreddy
12-21-2010, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't keep your hopes up on that one Phreddy, but ya never know, they may have a special season just for the likes of you big fella.:wink:

Sounds like you're having a problem with your sexual identity Steel_ram. Go ahead, come out of the closet. I won't laugh at you. Honest.:mrgreen:

elkdom
12-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Sounds like you're having a problem with your sexual identity Steel_ram. Go ahead, come out of the closet. I won't laugh at you. Honest.:mrgreen:

Stupid Hunting laws = more stupid hunters,,,,

it is a form of recruitment,,

OH LOOK ! it is working,,,,lol

j270wsm
12-21-2010, 11:30 PM
from j270WSM who stated,

As far as the distance mentioned, by my own experiences and those of others who I've talked to. Where does the 500 yd figure come from mentioned earlier in the post? The longest I've ever shot a moose at is 350 yds. and that was just once. Most moose, and deer have been in the range mentioned in my post.

Stone Sheep Steve was wondering about the distances that you gave(75-1ooyds), which I do agree that a lot of animals are shot at those distances. I personally have shot more gave from 180-330yds than I have at 100yds.

Your 350yd shot at a moose is roughly 10x farther than my personal comfort distance when bow hunting.
Trying to bow hunt when there is a youth/senior season at the same time makes it a little harder for me as well.

Just to make things clear I have a huge amount of respect for other people especially seniors, but I hope that one day you will pull your head from your A**, wipe the s..t from your eyes, then mabey you will realize that you are WRONG.

Ambush
12-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Uh.....where do you find in the regs that as a senior I can hunt earlier and longer.
that only applies to indians, bow hunters, and kids.
That's the part where you buy a bow and start hunting earlier and longer.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Stone Sheep Steve was wondering about the distances that you gave(75-1ooyds), which I do agree that a lot of animals are shot at those distances. I personally have shot more gave from 180-330yds than I have at 100yds.

Your 350yd shot at a moose is roughly 10x farther than my personal comfort distance when bow hunting.
Trying to bow hunt when there is a youth/senior season at the same time makes it a little harder for me as well.

Just to make things clear I have a huge amount of respect for other people especially seniors, but I hope that one day you will pull your head from your A**, wipe the s..t from your eyes, then mabey you will realize that you are WRONG.

Phreddy gave those distances for both rifle and bowhunting in his Region(75-100yds).
While I won't disagree with those distances for rifle hunting, it's quite clear that Phreddy has never bow hunted and is clueless about the subject.
If I was packing a rifle during the late bow season around here, I'd be hard pressed to last more than one day without cutting my muley tag.

SSS

Phreddy
12-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Just to lay this part of the thread to rest, I guess the only thing one has to ask is, how would you feel if the tables were turned and the rifle hunters were the ones that had the advantage of more time in the field?
Sorry if I offended anyone, but the forum asked what my views were and I gave them. I gave my opinion, and whether you may agree with it or not, it is nothing more than my opinion. Why not just add 2 weeks to the overall regular hunting season for all and keep it fair?
Merry Christmas everyone.
Phreddy.

steel_ram
12-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Just to lay this part of the thread to rest, I guess the only thing one has to ask is, how would you feel if the tables were turned and the rifle hunters were the ones that had the advantage of more time in the field?
Sorry if I offended anyone, but the forum asked what my views were and I gave them. I gave my opinion, and whether you may agree with it or not, it is nothing more than my opinion. Why not just add 2 weeks to the overall regular hunting season for all and keep it fair?
Merry Christmas everyone.
Phreddy.

So you'd rather have no season than a bow season? If you can't nobody else can? It's not a rifle vs. bow fight. No rifle opportunity is being taken away and given to bowhunters. Seasons being shortened for mgt. reasons are being left open to bowhunters because they have no significant effect on wildlife populations.

How would I feel if the table's were turned?
What table? It's not a competition. I mostly rifle hunt. If wildlife populations rebound to the point we can lengthen the seasons . . . GREAT!

steel_ram
12-22-2010, 02:04 PM
There really aren't to many laws in the BC hunting regs. I think are outright stupid. I can kind of see the point in most.

The bison cartridge rule is kind of funny since it excludes some very effective traditional buffalo killers. But I hope the average joe wouldn't attempt a stunt as trying to shoot one with a 22 hornet.

I to would love to hunt with a handgun, my Contender or XP. again though it would be a bucket of worms trying to legislate common sense so we don't get some yahoo blazing away at elk with his 9mm auto. (for example)

Phreddy
12-22-2010, 03:41 PM
So you'd rather have no season than a bow season? If you can't nobody else can? It's not a rifle vs. bow fight. No rifle opportunity is being taken away and given to bowhunters. Seasons being shortened for mgt. reasons are being left open to bowhunters because they have no significant effect on wildlife populations.

How would I feel if the table's were turned?
What table? It's not a competition. I mostly rifle hunt. If wildlife populations rebound to the point we can lengthen the seasons . . . GREAT!

First off, If you'd read my post, you'd have noticed that what I actually said was that instead of adding 30-40 days of bow hunting only, why not just add, say, 2 weeks to the general open season?
Secondly, I never said it was a competition. It's been a slam dunk.
Finally, as I mentioned in my post, I have expressed my opinion. If you don't like it, don't adopt it. Also, I'm out of the arguement as of now, as there seems to be too many very sensitive folks taking offence.
Once again, Merry Christmas to all, including those who don't necessarily like my opinion. Hope you all have a safe, happy and successful holiday and new year.

steel_ram
12-22-2010, 04:00 PM
First off, If you'd read my post, you'd have noticed that what I actually said was that instead of adding 30-40 days of bow hunting only, why not just add, say, 2 weeks to the general open season?
Secondly, I never said it was a competition. It's been a slam dunk.
Finally, as I mentioned in my post, I have expressed my opinion. If you don't like it, don't adopt it. Also, I'm out of the arguement as of now, as there seems to be too many very sensitive folks taking offence.
Once again, Merry Christmas to all, including those who don't necessarily like my opinion. Hope you all have a safe, happy and successful holiday and new year.

Glad you finally gave up.