PDA

View Full Version : Bird Bands???

TheProvider
12-16-2010, 06:15 PM
How'd everyone do with waterfawl jewelery this year? Bands? Collars?

keoke
12-16-2010, 06:23 PM
My friend got a drake pintail with a band. It came in on its own and I said its all yours. Then I saw it had a band and had to act happy for him :twisted:lol. The bird was tagged in August in alaska, so nothing too exciting.

TheProvider
12-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Always a kicker when you let your buddy take the lone bird and it ends up with a band.

12-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I shot a Drake Mallard almost 2 weeks ago with a band, shot several with bands years ago, whats the big deal, I always phone them in.

It's not like it is a 649 big prize winner ... although I wish it were.

CT

TheProvider
12-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Alot of people like them, a little prize at the end of the day, interesting to see where it was banded. But I understand how some people don't care. I like them, call them in. I have one collar that I can say I shot purposily and no it wasn't walking around in the local park

12-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I've shot about twice the # of birds as last year. got two last year and not one this year. what a rip off.

nor'wester
12-18-2010, 12:25 AM
I always like getting a banded bird...sometimes you end up with an interesting surprise. Have a collection of 40+ bands from over the years, yes most of them become pretty typical (curly top "what's the big deal"), but for me finding the age of the bird and where it was banded can be cool. I shot a snow goose that was 7 years old, a brant that was 9 years old (both in 2-4) and a drake mallard in nanaimo that was 3 years old but banded in alberta of all places...not exactly the pacific flyway. Kinda makes you wonder where the hundreds of birds one shoots in between banded ones come from and how old can be... PS I once read about a honker some guy shot in the american midwest that was so old that they had to use forensic technology to read the numbers on the band because it was so worn down. The bird turned out to be 26 years old. Probably a lil chewy!

TheProvider
12-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Make for some jerky hehe, I have a DU mag with a picture of a guy and a banded snow goose that was 16yrs old. It's interesting to see where they were banded and how old they are.

12-18-2010, 06:52 PM
I got a 9 year old snow from russia last year and the band was quite worn out.

TheProvider
12-18-2010, 07:26 PM
That'd be a pretty cool band to hang onto that's for sure. Haven't shot a banded snow yet

Crazy_Farmer
12-18-2010, 07:27 PM
I got a 9 year old snow from russia last year and the band was quite worn out.

Of two older snow bands one was 11, the other 12 years old. The 12 was worn alot more then mine. But we batting pretty good on snows, works out to 1 in 37 snows.

And you dont even want to know our odds for dark geese and ducks. We are truely in the blackhole.

Ian F.
12-19-2010, 05:27 PM
CF you just need to hunt with the bander more often!:twisted: