PDA

View Full Version : anyone hunt sheep on the fraser?

white moose
12-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Was up north of churn creek in October, looking for deer and saw 26 does and 17 sheep. We travelled up past a fairly new cabin built up on the east side of the river. Anybody have success for sheep there? Would be nice to get the draw for this area. Anybody fish for sturgeon while their hunting up there? want to explore more .

jml11
12-16-2010, 11:41 AM
No draw for sheep there it is GOS my friend!

srupp
12-16-2010, 11:42 AM
yes to the sheep, and yes to the sturgeon

steven

12-16-2010, 12:17 PM
There are draws both sides of the Fraser there and GOS on full/curls, so although you too will reduce my odds on drawing, contrary to what others may say. Look at the LEH maps and figure it out.

CT

white moose
12-16-2010, 12:29 PM
There are draws both sides of the Fraser there and GOS on full/curls, so although you too will reduce my odds on drawing, contrary to what others may say. Look at the LEH maps and figure it out.

CT
Do you use jetboat for access or hike in from gangranch side? The range doesn't look to high around there. You ever see a fullcurl there? Was heading across mound road in clinton and at singers ranch saw about 30 and 2 fullcurls. They eating in a field real close, real cool.

srupp
12-16-2010, 12:33 PM
both jet boats and hiking down work well along the Fraser...usually the jet boats catch the sheep on the breaks first thing in the am..however hiking tall along the ridges gives you a much better chance to catch sheep bedded on the saddlebacks on the uphill side of the junipers and in the wind..

Steven

white moose
12-16-2010, 12:39 PM
both jet boats and hiking down work well along the Fraser...usually the jet boats catch the sheep on the breaks first thing in the am..however hiking tall along the ridges gives you a much better chance to catch sheep bedded on the saddlebacks on the uphill side of the junipers and in the wind..

Steven
I was trying to figure out how far up the fraser you go to where there is little road access from above. We boated through ironrapids and went up to a cabin. stopped in no one home. Anybody know whos cabin? We saw most of the sheep a couple k from the gang bridge.

srupp
12-16-2010, 03:33 PM
hmmm I agree with where you saw the Calies..HOWEVER....for some reason some of the rams have moved into an area somewhat away from there...I "think" some local hunting put unnatural pressure on that area...

I have been looking for a good ram ..and found a couple that for x reasons have moved...still in an open season area but just where you wouldnt have expected them..:wink:

Another group of 30 sheep are "inching" closer to an open area..this group has several shoooter rams..

seeing 5 different... seperate groups of rams...ALL in no shooting areas..BUT VERY CLOSE to a open area begs the question that these rams have been pushed into these areas by hunters but not pursued in the closed areas...(the one group of 5 rams is down to 3..but unsure IF I just missed the other 2 big guys)...

steven

yama49
12-16-2010, 04:02 PM
any pics steve

srupp
12-16-2010, 06:39 PM
hmmm yup...

steven

mark
12-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Hunted deer and sheep there, never seen a shooter ever! Good sturgen fishing though!
Nice country regardless!

white moose
12-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Hunted deer and sheep there, never seen a shooter ever! Good sturgen fishing though!
Nice country regardless!
Where do you fish for sturgeon up there? In the back eddies? You ever fish the mouth of the chilcotin? the cabin we found had a big bag og nylons in it. i hope thats for sturgeon fishing. lol.