PDA

View Full Version : Bow storage and wax type?

RoscoeP
12-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Couple more anal questions, first is it ok to store a compound bow in a hard case or better to just hang it somewhere safe?
Also I have seen there bow string waxes that are bees wax based and other types that are petroleum based. Is one better than the other for the string than the other? Cheers Roscoe:confused:

Bowzone_Mikey
12-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Rule of thumb when it comes to Bow storage .... If you are confortable ie: temp and humidity etc... the so is your bow .... I personally let my bows hang out in the open where if they a bit damp there is a air movement to dry them ... If you put it away in the case with the slightest bit of moisture ... the Allen screws for your limbs, rest, sight etc... will rust ... take into account that they are mild steel screws, screwed into an Aluminum riser ... you wont be happy after a while. If you must store in the case for a while ... then I reccomend getting some of that Moisture eater stuff ... you can get it at RV shops

there are several waxes on the market some are designed for Natural Fibers ... others are designed for Synthetic fibers ... figure out what you string and cableset are made of, ie: 452x, 8125 Dyneema etc..... and get some wax accordingly ... I am not 100% certain but I think Martin factory strings are 8125 material which is a synthetic material (its a safe bet if your bow is a compound its synthectic material). I also reccomend a string wax with a conditioner. you will get more life out of the notoriously fuzzy materials as well as see alot better resistance to abrasion if you shoot alot in dusty enviroments

Bow Walker
12-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Well said Mikey...

Bow Walker
12-18-2010, 10:08 AM
When the season is done I usually hang my bows up in the house. Less variance in temperature and humidity. I don't like to leave them out in my workshop because the place isn't heated and the temps vary quite a bit - from freezing over night to a soggy, warmer temp during the day. Not good.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_1403.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=21787)

RoscoeP
12-18-2010, 11:37 AM
I like that setup!

Bow Walker
12-20-2010, 11:58 AM
At the end of the 'season' (and throughout the year) I make a point of going over my equipment and doing general maintenance.

I inspect the whole bow while doing some basic things...

tightening loose screws/bolts,
checking the peep tubing on my hunting bow,
checking the string and waxing it,
checking the cam and idler wheel string grooves for any nicks or scratches that might damage the string or cable(s),
and finally I clean any dirt or dust that has accumulated.All this might be considered 'work' to some people, but to me it's just preventative maintenance and I consider it spending-some-quality-time. Now I know that whenever a shoot comes along that I can (or want to) make, I'm ready to go and so is my stuff.