PDA

View Full Version : High Caliber Taxidermy bad news??

MuleyStalker
12-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Hey everyone, I just wanted to know if anyone else has had a bad experience with High Caliber Taxidermy? I saw Jamie Reynolds booth at the spring trade show a few years ago. I admired his worked and after talking with him, decided he seemed like a good guy. So when I shot my first bear, I brought it to him to get a rug done and the skull bleached. That was over 2 and a half years ago! He has never called me once to let me know what was going on. Just about everytime I call him, he tells me that he lost my number. I have given it to him several times already. The other crappy part is that I already put down $500. So what should I do? By the sounds of things, I'm going to have to go shoot another bear and forget about my money:(

snareman1234
12-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Had nothing but good experiences with him. He has tanned 3 beaver 1 cat for me...1 cat for a guy I sold one to, and a bear for my friend.

you know hes a member on here right?

DDD
12-15-2010, 06:07 PM
What Clayton said

MuleyStalker
12-15-2010, 06:12 PM
No I didn't know. I have been told by many people that he is good and that's why I'm asking, because it just seems weird to me.

todbartell
12-15-2010, 06:32 PM
2.5 yrs and still not done? That is absurd

Slee
12-15-2010, 06:44 PM
That blows, whats his screen name on here??

srupp
12-15-2010, 06:45 PM
sheesh..waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overdue....get a hold of him..ASAP

sTEVEN

snareman1234
12-15-2010, 06:59 PM
yea thats weird for sure, but did you ask him if he still has it, when he was going to have it done etc?

screen name's High Caliber,

I'd recommend phoning him and getting it all straightened out, or go over there.

.330 Dakota
12-15-2010, 07:46 PM
1 bear =1 year max, I use Chilcotin Taxidermy, great service, fair prices, "HONEST", and general all round good guy

MuleyStalker
12-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. I just want to clarify that I'm not bad mouthing High Caliber. For all I know, there was a mix up. I'll talk to him and see what's going on. Again.

Deaddog
12-15-2010, 08:36 PM
I have waited a couple of years for mounts from other taxidermists, all depends on how hard you are pushing the guy and if you are in a rush... I am sure you will work it out.

High Caliber
12-15-2010, 10:11 PM
WOW!!! Nothing like making a guy come clean!! Yes I have his bear and it has taken way too long, no question. The problem was I did have the number wrong on the workorder and I often call before I start especially when I may need do clarify something such as a closed mouth in his case. I get a few animals that people don't pick up which puts me out. I recieved a call and clarified the situation. The next problem is it got put into the spring bear lineup which is starting now. The bear is done just needs felt, it will be done next week. Thanks for the positive comments. Just for everyones knowledge I am pretty much one year on completion. Please, if you have Negative things to say about someones Business take it up with that person before you go public, if the issue still isn't resolved then you should go from there. I am sure I have lost business due to this post, I apologise, but I would have liked to have a chance to make it right before it came here. Yes, ones reputation takes years to build and seconds to tear down.

bobboa
12-15-2010, 10:58 PM
HC...good on you to come on and explain the situation. I am sure when the rug is in hand he will be more than thrilled!

Whisky Creek
12-15-2010, 11:12 PM
High Caliber,

A crappy world today; with regards to anonymity on the internet, eh?
Too bad you had to get the feedback like this.....
Often too many people, with too much to say; and its never usually to someone's face.
Not necessarily in this thread in particular, just in general. It ticks me off.
I often think it would be interesting and a much different and better site if folks had to put their name and place of residence on here with their avatar or signature line, wouldn't it?
Maybe I'll start the fad here.....

CLINT WALKER
Smithers, BC

bigwhiteys
12-15-2010, 11:21 PM
WOW!!! Nothing like making a guy come clean!! Yes I have his bear and it has taken way too long, no question. The problem was I did have the number wrong on the workorder and I often call before I start especially when I may need do clarify something such as a closed mouth in his case. I get a few animals that people don't pick up which puts me out. I recieved a call and clarified the situation. The next problem is it got put into the spring bear lineup which is starting now. The bear is done just needs felt, it will be done next week. Thanks for the positive comments. Just for everyones knowledge I am pretty much one year on completion. Please, if you have Negative things to say about someones Business take it up with that person before you go public, if the issue still isn't resolved then you should go from there. I am sure I have lost business due to this post, I apologise, but I would have liked to have a chance to make it right before it came here. Yes, ones reputation takes years to build and seconds to tear down.
I don't know about losing any business. He had an issue, you addressed the issue quickly and to me that seems like good customer service.

If he gets his bear, all will be good everyone will be happy and voila!

Taxidermy is a tough business, and constantly keeping in touch with clients for clarification could easily become a full-time job, leaving little time to actually do your work!

Carl

BuckEye
12-15-2010, 11:27 PM
I agree HC.. Running down someones livelihood .and name on a public site before trying to hash things over privately is total BULLSHIT IMO .

MuleyStalker said:
" Just about everytime I call him, he tells me that he lost my number. I have given it to him several times already."

High Caliber said:
"Yes I have his bear and it has taken way too long, no question."
"I get a few animals that people don't pick up which puts me out."
"The next problem is it got put into the spring bear lineup which is starting now."
"Please, if you have Negative things to say about someones Business take it up with that person before you go public, if the issue still isn't resolved then you should go from there."

New the forum, but not so new to the service industry and customer expectations. If MuleyStalker made the calls as indicated, then this would be his "go from there".
Business operators and owners who do not respect the changes in public communication through social/internet media, and the possible ramifications, are easily stung when customers are not happy.
The complaint is the opportunity, the manner in which is is dealt with is the real indicator of the businesses customer service practices.
I suspect MuleyStalker will have his bear soon.

proguide66
12-15-2010, 11:46 PM
I dont see anyone getting bashed..but ALL AGREED the customer got the short end of the stick...agreed by the buis owner as well... customer stated" called numerous times" , no action...canvassed the hunting comunity via the internet , reaction---action--:mrgreen:

Sleep Robber
12-16-2010, 12:57 AM
i have heard bad things from 2 friends about his work. thats enough complaints for me! my animals will go elsewhere....

Personal experiences are one thing but "hearsay" is nothing more than bullsh!t. The sad fact about it is though, is that it can still very easily destroy a persons livelihood and reputation.

On the flip side,

I hope everything works itself out between the two parties. I'm sure it will.

Mr. Dean
12-16-2010, 01:31 AM
I dont see anyone getting bashed..but ALL AGREED the customer got the short end of the stick...agreed by the buis owner as well... customer stated" called numerous times" , no action...canvassed the hunting comunity via the internet , reaction---action--:mrgreen:

x2.

High Caliber;
Did or did not, MuleyStalker contact you about his bear, several times over the course of you taking on his job?

It sounds as though he did because you're both telling pretty much the same story about the misplaced phone #. IMO (and I know either party), it feels as though he was getting a bit fed up and wanted to see if his predicament was a standard of yours, via asking for references on this forum. Like you said, the turn on this job IS well past it's prime.

I think he has done exactly what you outlined in your previous post; yet somehow, it's still his fault and he's cost you business because of it.

:confused: Wow :confused:

- If in fact the contact info was incorrect; that's your fault (I'm sure the client knows his phone #).
- If in fact the customer called several times and it was noted that the contact info was incorrect; it's still your fault for not updating it.
- If in fact you DO lose business over this 'issue'; I think it's still your fault for not taking a piece of 'humble pie' on this one, instead of pointing a finger back at the client.

FWIW, I haven't heard ANY bad comments on customer service from, High Caliber Taxidermy. I honestly believe that the guy just f'd up on this, and that shit happens.

hunter1947
12-16-2010, 02:27 AM
If it was me I would have gone right to his home and talked to him about this problum and worked it out there rather then this site..

butthead
12-16-2010, 06:37 AM
my bear took 2.5 years to get back
it takes time be patient

fourbyfour
12-16-2010, 07:49 AM
i`v seen his work and the and his prices, and i`ll be going to Gander`s in Surrey. I think he takes on to much and the ART of taxidermy get missed placed.

Steeleco
12-16-2010, 09:00 AM
I unlocked the thread. So long as things stay civil and on track it will stay open. The ban button isn't too far away, so play nice!!

NaStY
12-16-2010, 02:51 PM
This situation appears to me like one if not both parties have had a miscomuication. Shit happens and it was good to see High Caliber came through with his version and a solution. Shows integrety in my book.

Sounds like it will work out well for both parties in the end....

pappy
12-16-2010, 06:16 PM
business is business, if you don't do your part the customer gets upset. That is how a reputation gets made or torn apart. Its all how you want to show how professional you want to be. If I pay good $$$ for a service I want it to be professionally done, who wouldn't? I'm glad to hear other peoples opinion on the sevices they are paying for as I don't want to deal with wondering why I'm paying for slow or no results. If business is too much to handle, then explain to the customer.

Elkhound
12-18-2010, 11:30 AM
I unlocked the thread. So long as things stay civil and on track it will stay open. The ban button isn't too far away, so play nice!!

Obviously people cannot understand simple english. Steeleco...type slower next time so people can understand:wink: Steeleco had to delete a bunch of posts after this comment.

So I have closed it. Issue seems to be resolved between business and customer. Hope all goes well for the original poster and he gets his bear back very soon