PDA

View Full Version : Arrow colours, colouring for hunting

Stéphane
12-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Here's a question to all of you hunting in the snow, deep brushes and any other place where you could easily lose your arrows, what's your trick to make them "findable"?

I got the Gold Tip with green and white vanes. I was thinking of buying a roll of bright yellow or orange tape and make a band on them. Would that work?

killman
12-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Good Question. I was thinking the samething the other day. You could lose alot of arrows hunting in the snow for rabbits etc...

cavebear
12-14-2010, 09:06 PM
glow in the dark knocks stand out all the time :-D

tomahawk
12-14-2010, 09:19 PM
If you don't use glow in the dark, make the fletch's a color that sticks out for you.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Alot of people like Lumenocks or alike ... but at 30 bucks for 3 and the weight involved I am not a big fan of them .... Alot of people Dip their or spray their arrow shafts with bright paint ....others buy arrow wraps (you can get custom designs from some outfits .... some are pretty freakin' cool)

I find Orange fletches work for me as Flo green oddly enough seem to blend into the woods

Ddog
12-14-2010, 09:42 PM
no tape, if anything some paint, however, the green and white stand out for me but every few years for some reason i seem to change, i was once told that try to use colors that are bright and stand out to your personal preference, also if you think you may have trouble finding a shot arrow to use colors that are not commonly found in hunting situations such as blue, purple, glow in the dark would be fine except are you going to look for an arrow in the dark?

Stéphane
12-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Alot of people like Lumenocks or alike ... but at 30 bucks for 3 and the weight involved I am not a big fan of them .... Alot of people Dip their or spray their arrow shafts with bright paint ....others buy arrow wraps (you can get custom designs from some outfits .... some are pretty freakin' cool)

I find Orange fletches work for me as Flo green oddly enough seem to blend into the woods
I agree with the $30/3 is again increasing the amount of money loss when one disappear. $10appr (arrow) + $10 (nock) + $30appr broadhead = it can be an expensive miss

no tape, if anything some paint, however, the green and white stand out for me but every few years for some reason i seem to change, i was once told that try to use colors that are bright and stand out to your personal preference, also if you think you may have trouble finding a shot arrow to use colors that are not commonly found in hunting situations such as blue, purple, glow in the dark would be fine except are you going to look for an arrow in the dark?
Ddog, I was hoping to get your input on this. Then for sure no tape. It might be time for me to invest in a fletching rig. Especially since I want to do some goose hunting and the colours seem to match my current fletching.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Testors Model Paint works great on Carbon shafts anyway ... i have seen it used on Alum.... Make a tube that your arrow will just fit into and dip .... be sure to "sacrifice" a knock to the paint .... My Buddy Trev uses the Testors Airbrush kit on his arrows as he is an avid model builder as well and does his hunting arrow in a white to Brite flow orange fade .... pretty sharp looking and a realitivly cheap way to customize your stuff a bit more

Lee
12-15-2010, 04:33 PM
I forget the exact colours but I do recall blue being one of the ones that stand out for deer, given the cones and rods in their eyeballs. Don't know the 'for-surety' of that but someone scientific got it figured, so I avoid all things 'blue'.

J_T
12-15-2010, 04:38 PM
You can crown dip your arrows if you want to, but it adds weight and moves the weight back.

Yellow is traditionally the best fletch. You also want to see your arrow trajectory and point of contact on the animal. I've gone to 2 pink and 1 white for early season and 2 pink 1 blue or purple for late season.

The pink provides great image for trajectory and impact and relatively easy to find, unless their dipped in fresh red....

Rectifier
12-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Really liking Mikey's idea with the model paint if it doesn't hurt carbon as said.

Cheap in terms of money yes, but put some value on your time! You know if you get any good at it there goes all your time, putting flashy paintjobs on arrows :wink: I know that's what would happen to me.

Always wanted a reason to buy an airbrush :mrgreen:

Bow Walker
12-18-2010, 09:58 AM
My hunting buddy uses Luminocks and arrow wraps on all his hunting arrows. Makes them very easy to see when he's shooting (I've watched his arrow all the way into and through a few deer) and also very easy to spot when looking to pick up the arrow after the fact.

Of course - if your arrow goes into deeper snow you'd lose the entire arrow and most likely not be able to see the lighted nock. Tough to see/find when it is buried under 18" to 24" of the white stuff.

MikeH
12-25-2010, 01:00 AM
I like the lumenok no problem with weight enjoy shooting them.