PDA

View Full Version : Big 'brown' bear!! (almost)

youngfellla
06-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Went for a quick hike out to the back of my place this evening. I spotted a bear about 200 yards down from me, so I put the stalk on him, and get up to about 40 yards. When I spot him again he is perfectly broadside in the skid trail, and I start to size him up, and he is a big bear. So I quickly chamber a round in my 45/70, he must have heard the click and stood up facing me for a moment, then dropped down and took off before I shot. I trailed him for as long as I could, and what was interesting was that he would run a short distance and then drop down low in the thick stuff and lay still.:shock: When I would get close he would jump up and take off, run a short distance and lie down again where I couldn't see him. This happened 3 times, and I finally decided to call it quits. Good way to get the adrenaline pumping!:-D

What is also interesting is that I have chased this bear before. He has a reddish tone to his underside, and a white diamond on the right side of his chest, which is unmistakeable, and he is huge!! Last time I trailed him was early last fall, and he did the same thing - run hard and then lay down flat 'til I got close. He definetly is a tricky old bear, I was thinking I had him this time.:(

I also have this same bear on video while he was in one of my fields last summer. He is a beautiful light brown with reddish underside, and that white diamond on the right side of his chest. Everyone who saw the tape figured he would easily go over 7 feet. Guess I've got a few more days yet to get him!

Iron-Head
06-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Sounds neat, Im sure all of us here would love to see a pic!
Symon

youngfellla
06-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Symon, I'll get some pictures of him - when he is down and I'm kneeled beside him;)

BOOMSTICK
06-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Young, you better whack that big SOB before he dies of old age! I remember the video of him, and I would bet that he will go 7'4'' or 7'5''.

He's probably bigger than that little weiner grizzly you shot in Spatsizi:p

Steeleco
06-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Symon, I'll get some pictures of him - when he is down and I'm kneeled beside him;)

Now that's a positive attitude;) Your not superstitious are you??? Good luck

3kills
06-10-2006, 08:20 AM
cant wait to see the pics after u drop him...

what u said he was doing reminded me of a joke about lil red riding hood that every time she got close to the wolf he would run away and finally after the 3rd or 4th time he said do u mind i m tryin to take a shit...or something like that....

bsa30-06
06-10-2006, 06:44 PM
youngfella, i think he's just playing hide and seek with you.Obviously his little laying down trick seems to be working for him.Good luck.

livingston
06-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Good luck he sounds like a real trophy and really unique bear:-D

Maybe you should try beating him at his own game and wait him out next time:twisted: