PDA

View Full Version : Pads on a dogs feet

ruger#1
12-14-2010, 07:18 PM
My Gsp was limping around the other day so I checked her foot out. She has chewed a good chunk of her pad off. Will this heal? Or will it be sore for her to walk on for a long time?. I have put Hibitane on it and wrapped it in gauze. Pluse duct tape around that. Put the cone on her head also. She hates it. Going to the vet on Friday.

cavebear
12-14-2010, 07:23 PM
My hounds occasionaly tear or burn a pad. Healing time really depends on how big the damaged area is and how you maintain it. If you can keep it clean and dry a week to 10 days for a dime to quarter size id say.

However if you cant keep it clean and dry my dane took almost 5 weeks to heal. She would lick chew and even rub it when her cone was on.

hope that helps.:-D

ruger#1
12-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks Cavebear. It is about the size of a quarter. It is hard to keep it clean. This dog is very active. Hunting is over and she will have to stay inside.

cavebear
12-14-2010, 07:34 PM
you can buy dog boots. Thats what i had to do for the dane. they are neopreene, so they are water proof, if in the house or a warm area however they tend to make the dogs foot sweat. :-D

BlacktailStalker
12-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Save your money and dont bother going to the vet.
It'll heal in about 2 weeks... even when it has filled back in, the surface will be softer so dont let her over do it even when it looks better.
Make sure that duct tape isn't too tight (toes shouldnt be cold)

Kasomor
12-14-2010, 11:41 PM
My Gsp was limping around the other day so I checked her foot out. She has chewed a good chunk of her pad off. Will this heal? Or will it be sore for her to walk on for a long time?. I have put Hibitane on it and wrapped it in gauze. Pluse duct tape around that. Put the cone on her head also. She hates it. Going to the vet on Friday.

I'd want to know why she has chewed her pad off. That isn't normal. There must have been something or IS something in her pad to have made her do that. I'd want to be sure what ever was in there is out.

I've had pad injuries on my dogs before too. Soaked in hot water and Epsom salts twice a day, wrap loosely to keep clean and keep dry, then wrapped in vet wrap till healed.

Don't know about the duct tape thing. My dogs live in the house so when they have to go outside with a foot injury they got a plastic boot on to go out. When they come in plastic boot comes off.

If my dogs feet are permanently damaged they can't work.

I'd be taking her to the vet too....antibotics may be in order.