PDA

View Full Version : Cougar...the four legged ones

Hunting/addict
12-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Can cougars be hunted very successfully without the use of dogs? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

BlacktailStalker
12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Find a kill and set up on it or walk out a track and hope to see it.
Other than that, rely on luck and have a cat tag in your pocket at all times.

SR80
12-14-2010, 08:14 AM
I was sitting behind a log this hunting season doing some buck grunts for a couple of minutes and seen a cougar up on the hill side in a clear patch watching me, then started making his way towards me. I got outta there but im sure I coulda shot him if I stuck around.

AT&T
12-14-2010, 08:21 AM
I had to shoot one in October of 2009. He came in twice and would not go away. I shot him at 30 feet as he was coming off the ground. It was very unerving especially when I realized this was probably his third time coming in. The first time my back was turned and only heard his pads hitting the ground coming up behind me. Still makes me look over my shoulder. Regarding your question. I was using deer lure I made my self from testicles taken in the rut. I guess it works on cats too.

Gateholio
12-14-2010, 08:54 AM
If you find fresh tracks, or know one is in the area, it's possible to call them in, but it's not a "very successful" technique.:-D

Camp Cook
12-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Yeah Yeah we know you did it... :D

and I'm going to try calling them again this year paying $4000.00 + for a guided hunt is something I just can't bring myself too do would rather buy a couple more rifles...

knighthunter
12-14-2010, 10:06 AM
How's that old story go."Only way he can get the dog to play with him, is too tie pork chops to his ears". Maybe that will work on bringing in a cougar also.