PDA

View Full Version : The Lucky Red Sweater Buck

luckynuts
12-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Well this year's hunting season had surpassed my expectations with my son taking his first deer a little 4x4 whitetail. It even got better as he did it again in November when he took his first Mulie.

I had planned our hunt way in advance. Actually after coming home from our annual moose hunt I started scouting and scouting hard. by the end of October I had 3 mulies picked out and the one I really wanted to hunt was a really good 3pt that carried his heavy frame way up high. Plus he was very predictable in the mornings staying way out past his bedtime:wink:

Due to me working the first week of Mulie season I soon learned that 2 of the 3 bucks I had seen had been harvested on opening day, one of them being the big three pt. Though spirits were lifted on Nov 4th when I seen 2 of the biggest mulies I had seen in a long time. One on property I had permission on and the other permission I would soon acquire on my last day on shift.

The night before the 11th a good buddy called me up and asked if I wanted to head out hunting, I told him I had made plans with Liam but he was more than welcome to come along. Scotty showed up and we headed off arriving at our spot a little early. I was just commenting on it's a little dark when a black Chevy tore out of the fields we were going to hunt:evil:. We made the most of the morning but only counted 3 does and 1 fawn but hey that's hunting. I decided we should head up into timber country and cruise through a big slash maybe get to see a whitey for Scott. Well we found that whitey but the 5x5 didn't hang around long enough to even get the truck stopped. Not seeing much was turning out to be a real slow day, we headed back hoping to find Liam a mule deer.

After checking out a few spots Scott got a call from a buddy who had taken a good whitey. We decided we should go and have a look at this whitetail and glad we did. After admiring the deer Ian told Liam he had seen a couple of legal Mule deer down where he was hunting. So we loaded up our gear and headed out for a late afternoon/evening hunt.

After checking out all the fields and little coulees we came up over a hill and all at once we said Deer! on the far hill here was a buck bedded down with his does. Though our excitement was cut short when Ian told us we didn't have permission to hunt that land. Though a few phone calls later and the hunt was on. The boys dropped Liam and I off at the corner and we used the timber as cover to make the 300yd stalk down which would take us about 80-90 yds below the deer. Trying to keep as quiet as we could walking on the crunchy snow we came to the opening only to find 4 other does we had not seen jump up and blow and take off running up the hill past the buck! Crap I left the shooting stick in the truck! I flipped my unloaded gun around stuck the taped barrel in the snow and had Liam rest his gun on my butt plate.

Fortunately for us the buck who was bedded and looking up hill away from us kept his attention on the hot doe. Which is when I realized Liam was shaking and breathing really hard. Liam kept saying Dad he's a big buck! I took his gun and had him sit down talking in a whisper to try and settle his nerves. We got set back up just in time as the hot doe finally sensed something and started off towards the other does this made the buck get up from his comfy bed and when he did he was standing slightly quartering away towards our right. Just when I was about to tell Liam to take the shot I heard the 250 go bang and watched the buck jump straight up and give a little kick out the back with both legs. He took off running in a loop and past us on our left heading into the timber. Liam and I quickly got on the blood trail while Scott and Ian circled around and this is where we found him just inside a strip of timber.

W.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Liams_Mule_deer_2010_002.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/Liams_Mule_deer_2010_002.jpg)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Liams_Mule_deer_2010_004.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/Liams_Mule_deer_2010_004.jpg)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Liams_Mule_deer_2010_005.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/Liams_Mule_deer_2010_005.jpg)

whitetailsheds
12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Great buck Liam! Congrats to you and your Dad (and the rest of the crew)! That buck is going to look great on the wall!

bowhunterbruce
12-13-2010, 05:23 PM
sweet looking buck,man i wished i had even seen one that big this year.congrats to ya all.i'm guessing 180 plus on him.
bhb

ThinAir
12-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Wow man, that's a great buck...congrats!

Got your caribou mounted yet? Your wall is filling up fast!

proguide66
12-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Thats awesome Wade!..hope you made him gut it out and pack it on his back to the truck!!!...hehe

KevinB
12-13-2010, 06:00 PM
great buck and an awesome story!

Waldo1803
12-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Great story, and an awesome buck!

nano
12-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Nice buck, congrats!

cavebear
12-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Makes a guy want to move off the Island :-D

Congrats on an amazing buck !!!!

5 spike
12-13-2010, 06:31 PM
good going guys. that is a beauty. congrats to all of you.

Bear Chaser
12-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Great job guys. Congratulations Liam on a terrific season. Looks like hunting with a pair of electricians paid off.

BlacktailStalker
12-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Great mulie, nice shot kiddo !

d6dan
12-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Beauty buck Liam!, good shooting and he should look fantastic on the wall.:-D

12-13-2010, 07:24 PM
SMOKIN ! What a Cranker young man ! Congrats to all involved.
Just for the record there to the new PRO hunter, I've been hunting bucks for damn near 35 years, taken some good ones BUT .... NON like that.

Good luck getting a bigger one, that is a goal for you the rest of your hunting days, your a man to be reckoned with !

what a buck for him.

CT

luckynuts
12-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Thats awesome Wade!..hope you made him gut it out and pack it on his back to the truck!!!...heheWell Steve we had some help with this one so he really didn't get all that dirty but he was up to his elbows with the whitetail. Though He might be walking to our hunting spot next year from John so I have a head start:-D

Great job guys. Congratulations Liam on a terrific season. Looks like hunting with a pair of electricians paid off.bearchaser, Ian and Scott are great guys I've been on a few hunts with guys that would have shot the deer and said next time kid. I think they were just as excited watching Liam shoot as we were. You better bitch slap Ian and tell him to mount his mulie OMG!!!

Liam says thanks for all the comments he's actually pretty humble about it though still floating on cloud nine. Grant I decided to post this story as the picture quality is just not that good to send into Big Buck so we will wait for the mount and take some Quality pictures.. Yeah I know I won't be living this one down for some time, though I hear Santa has something for me this year and it has lots of mega pixels:-D.

Thanks again everyone

W.

Greenhead
12-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Guy's, first... awesome!
Second... luckynuts your signature line says it all!!
My son and I congratulate you!
GHandson

Lee
12-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Good story, GREAT buck!

...but anyone else notice that gun seems to be pointed at 2 different people in 2 pictures?

2tins
12-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Way to go fellas, congrats Liam on shooting a buck that your dad is jealous of.... lol

luckynuts
12-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Wow man, that's a great buck...congrats!

Got your caribou mounted yet? Your wall is filling up fast!

Should be done just after Christmas sometime, and my bears will be too. Just need to find the time to head down and pick it up. The bears I'm gonna have shipped up. Just need to knock the ceiling down and vault it!

Makes a guy want to move off the Island :grin:Cavebear, I did:wink:

Good story, GREAT buck!

...but anyone else notice that gun seems to be pointed at 2 different people in 2 pictures?Yep you got me! Though Liam did unload his rifle before we followed the blood into the trees as we knew Scotty and Ian were coming in from the other side. Though should have been pointed the other way and I think it was sort of and the pic just shows it a little different. Anyways we all knew it was unloaded, as I proved it to them before pictures were taken.

W.

killer
12-13-2010, 11:42 PM
That is a friken big racker congradulations!!!!!!

hunter1947
12-14-2010, 02:40 AM
Young man that is one sweet buck you got there ,congrats to you and your family http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

Mikey Rafiki
12-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Definitely a keeper. Nice long tines, deep forks. Well done!

Stone Sheep Steve
12-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Nice to finally be able to read the whole story after seeing the pics!!

Great buck and even greater times spent with your son, Wade!:cool:

SSS

rifleman
12-15-2010, 10:41 AM
congrats Liam that is one cranker of a buck. and your first one to boot.

weatherby_man
12-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Thats a beauty buck,,,, and for a first buck,,,wow!!! That is one great story, congrats!

jamfarm
12-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Well this year's hunting season had surpassed my expectations with my son taking his first deer a little 4x4 whitetail.

Little? Looks pretty solid to me! Congrats, good story.