PDA

View Full Version : Cooking mulie?

walnutz
12-13-2010, 11:47 AM
I just got a bunch of chops,roast,ect.. from a buddy of mine and i have never cooked deer before other than ground meat.Just wondering what recipes you may be willing to share that have turned out good in the past? Im looking for a good stew recipe aswell.Thanks.

bowhunterbruce
12-13-2010, 11:49 AM
try sending ali (newhunterette) a message.she has allllllllllllllll the best reciepes for everything.she rocks
bhb

Bow Walker
12-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Read through this forum's posts. There are a ton of good recipes in here. Just don't overcook the meat. Med-rare is the most it should be done to.

Jennifer
12-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Yes, the key to cooking game is not to overcook!! when I make a roast i normally make little slits with a sharp paring knife and stuff with garlic cloves. Push them far enough in that you can't see them sticking out. Season with a nice seasoning salt - I use Johnny's seasoning and a little bit of water, beef broth or better yet a splash of wine with either of those:) Cook a lil slower and lower than regular beef roasts. goodluck! mmmm

tinhorse
12-13-2010, 12:05 PM
For roasts I just made one yesterday, cut 1" thick and layed out flat, put a thichk layer of stuffing mixed with bacon and 3 table spoons bacon greese and some chopped and lightly cooked onion, pepper and salt, then roll it up and tie it off. then top with 5 or so slices of bacon and cook. It took a little longer then a regular roast to cook it seemed (extra 1/2 hour) maybe because of the stuffing? was very tasty.

sawmill
12-13-2010, 04:06 PM
I used to do that with big moose round steaks,fantastic stuff with a good,dark gravy and some spuds.

J_T
12-13-2010, 04:32 PM
For the chops, when you bring them out of the freezer, thaw them in coke. (not diet). the coke breaks down the muscle tissue, sweetens and tenderizes. Then wash them and dry them. Make a red wine vinegar based marinade adding whatever other flavour ingredients you want and leave them to soak.

When you cook them start hi, turn it down before you put the meat on and cook them on a low heat. Don't overcook. Wild game is best eaten medium rare.

frenchbar
12-13-2010, 04:42 PM
I like to brown the mulie chops in the oven for a bit till their half cooked ..smother in cream of mushroom soup cook for about another 20 min or so and serve with rice ..good stuff .

M.Dean
12-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Stinky Buck Stew! Cut your pieces of meat into 1 inch cubes, brown them really good in a hot fry pan with a bit of butter, some diced onion, salt pepper, fresh garlic and any other spice you like. When it's good and brown, add about a cup or two of water, scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen up all the good stuff that stick's there! Pour everything into a big pot, or small pot, depends on how much stew your making. I add cut up carrots, more onion, potato, you can add a bit of parsnip and turnip, I like it like that, my kids don't! Let simmer on the stove for about 2 hours, keep tasting it, if you think it needs a bit of this or that, add it to the pot! Don't let the water boil down too much either! What I do with lots of wild game also, is add some OXO Beef cubes to the Fry Pan when I add the water, it makes for a better flavor. OK, now your ready to thicken the stew, I really suck at this part, but, turn the heat up on your stew, you want it boiling a bit, then take some flour and water, mix it together and slowly stir it in to your stew, it'll start to thicken slowly. Taste it as your doing this, if it tastes a bit flat, or Blaggg, add a bit more salt and some more OXO cubes and your go to go!!! I've added Peas or rice sometimes, Barley will thicken it and tastes good too, after you try making it a bit, you can start to add different things to it. As your cooking it you can also add different sauces, HP, Worcestershire etc. The main thing with cooking Wild Game, is as people are eating it, tell the story lots on how you killed it, in detail!!! What you can do too as a bit of a treat, is when the stew is done, drop a recovered bullet into the stew, surely it'd be the one guest thats trying Wild Game for the first time that spits the gob of lead out on the table!!! When they do, Yell "You Won!!!" You Won!!!", give them a full glass of Rye and Coke for prize, they'll love it, always worked for me!!! Another good tip is start serving Whiskey about 2 hours before dinner, buy then most Guest's are going to be walking around your house, shirtless looking for a fight! After the RCMP do leave, pop some fresh biscuits into the oven and serve with your stew, rice go's real good with stew, but if the Guests have been Tazered or sprayed with Maze from the Police for fighting, Towels soaked in Ice Cold water for there eyes will be more appreciated! Boni Patete!!!