PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a dog

tightgrouper
12-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi,

Looking for opinions on hunting with my dog.

I hunted with my dog most of the season. She has a keen interest in deer but will not take off when we see one. Half of the time she does not see them when I am looking at them but she is onto me for she senses my excitement. She will walk through bush right beside me very quietly. I am actually impressed with her but I think that because of all this hunting she is developing a interest deer more than i would know. I just worry that when there is deer around and I am not hunting she still may be. Having said that I never let her have any deer anything, bones, meat, nothing.

May it also be a bad idea to have her in my spots scenting it all up with dog?

Hopefully there is an experienced hunter out there that knows lots about this topic.

Thanks for any input.

bowhunterbruce
12-13-2010, 11:46 AM
there are many thread on this exact topic.like
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59641&highlight=hunting+dogs
try the search option

tightgrouper
12-13-2010, 12:37 PM
there are many thread on this exact topic.like
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59641&highlight=hunting+dogs
try the search option

Thank you sir.

Kayte
12-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Having said that I never let her have any deer anything, bones, meat, nothing.
I know absolutely nothing about hunting with your dog, but I do know that feeding your dog deer meat won't have an affect on its prey drive (wanting to chase deer/critters). I've known many raw fed dogs that live on hobby farms, and although those dogs are fed beef, chicken, and duck, it doesn't make the dog chase the livestock :)

Buck
12-13-2010, 01:16 PM
I hunted with my dog this year for whitetail and mulies.Make sure you are hunting into the wind or quartering into it.Watch you're dog to learn it's body language when coming into range of a known deer.Of course your dog must be on leash while hunting.My dog Kayla made two succesful blood tracks this year one was a bowkill where we brought her into the track after the shot. The other was while hunting with me by rifle.She easily recovered these deer with the latter going 200 metres with a hit a little far back.

2tins
12-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Afternoon fella's. Sorry to jump in here, but I'm new to the game. I'm wondering where to post a Badlands Superday that I have for sale. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks, 2tins.