PDA

View Full Version : Are deer lures over rated?

AT&T
12-13-2010, 08:36 AM
We see alot of lures out there today. Be interested to hear stories about it actually making a difference.

silvicon
12-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Yes!!
I bought some and used it as directed.
Watched deer igore it!
Cut up a few old apples and throw them along the fence, got their attention!

Sitkaspruce
12-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I have had great luck with "The Can" calls and if you read the trophy BT post, you will see that they work.

The Deer Talker also works well for me.

So yes they do work...at least for me.

Cheers

SS

358win
12-13-2010, 10:13 AM
I put some doe in heat on the groung below a bucks scrape. The next day he had the bush all torn up & broke.

AT&T
12-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Calling deer is another issue. I have used lure scent for years. I think the timing has to be right. I have sprayed some directly at a deer and watch him pick it up in the wind. Sometimes they just carry on eating or walk away. Probably till dark. I think it depends alot on timing. Also if you make a scrap as someone already mentioned they tend to come in at night. I have been successful with lures in the past. No question. I just think there is a lot of variables to making this work.

budismyhorse
12-13-2010, 10:47 AM
I think a major ingredient that goes into all deer lures is a healthy dose of "Hype".

AT&T
12-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Ya hype is a big factor. A big whitetail is so smart and that nose of theirs smells everything. Maybe they should make deer lure chewing gum.

leadpillproductions
12-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Ive used them for years they seem to work for me , the ground gets all tore up where i put it

Mark_S
12-13-2010, 01:04 PM
My experience has been all hype so far but I am a horrible whitetail hunter.

whitetailsheds
12-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Not really.....oats, barley, peas, and hay work great.
Be it a bait, or what's left in an unswathed field.....it lures them real good.
The stuff in a bottle? Tried several....may as well watch over a bucks' scrape. There's more action there.

Lee
12-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Used Tinks Doe Estrous about a month ago. Few drops on the boots and go for a walk till I find a place to sit. First time I did that had a doe 'sniff' me out and came within 15' of me. She noticed my shape but couldn't make me out - I wasn't moving and was camo'd. She stayed and 'investigated' while her fawn played around for 10-15 minutes, then they eventually wandered off. A week later, same thing, drops and a walk to a sitting point. Had a 2x2 mule deer 'sniff' me out to within 5 feet. I had to stand up and scare him off as I thought he was going to walk right over me. He jumped back 10 feet and took his time leaving the area despite ME scaring HIM (hah). Last weekend used a scent drag with estrous with no luck. Found a spot to sit, sprayed a bit of 'Buck Bomb', less than ten minutes later had a 4x4 whitetail heads up and sniffing around. Would have been meat in the freezer if I had of set up to give myself better shooting lanes on that side.

So yes, given the time of season and the scent involved they do work if used accordingly. Sight, smell and hearing - beat them all if you can.

Gunner Staal
12-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Ive actually seen them have an adverse effect. I have video of multiple does coming right towards my tree stand and under me day after day without any scent used. Decided to try some Scent Web one day and have video of the does stopping in their tracks and moving around my set as soon as they were downwind of the scent. It was amazing. Another interesting observation was that the deer seemed to only eat the old oats and barley I had left out. As in, the left overs from last weeks pile. They would usually sniff the new pile and ignore it for at least a full day.

hunter1947
12-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Baiting areas for deer works great for me I also hang a few pieces of cloth with doe in estrus on a few tree limbs about 3 feet off the ground where the baiting station is..

BCrams
12-14-2010, 09:53 AM
They work. A couple examples: out in Saskatchewan, tied a rope to a rag off the hitch of the truck with a bottle of doe estrus and after I got dropped off, Dad continued on to hunt another mile or so away. Within the hour, a nice buck going hard with nose to the ground right along the road following the scent; a couple buck scent wafers hung on a couple willow shrubs were destroyed by a mule deer buck; set up mock scrapes on scrape lines and the next day it was evident there was one PO'd buck working the line that night.

Lots of great examples where they work. So I do use them on myself as well as a cover scent when still hunting.

trapperRick
12-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Well I will share this tip with you that was shared with me when I was just starting to hunt waaayyyyy back, one of my dads buddies and I were out pushing some bush back in Sask onr day and he told me to keep the scent glads off the legs of the deer and Elk etc whenever I got one down and then tie them to your boots when you are walking around or hang them in a tree when you are in a blind and I have done that many many times and it works like a charm, you can freeze them and they keep pretty good, doe gland work the best, try it.

budismyhorse
12-16-2010, 02:41 PM
......I think the OP is referring to deer lures like "Come er deer" and stuff like that...

no one would argue the good old fashion deer piss or glands draggin behind you wouldn't do the trick! Those are tried and true methods...

AT&T
12-16-2010, 07:29 PM
ya the scent gland thing is not new. remember that going back along time

BigBear.338
12-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Apples do work.seen it in my own back yard!

Lee
12-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Some good reading on this topic would be go to the Cabela's website, go into the Hunting scents and lures section and read the customer reviews. Quite an interesting and varying set of replies!