PDA

View Full Version : broken gear

wos
12-12-2010, 10:43 PM
just wondering what gear let people down this season. For me I discovered butler creak flip up lens covers wont last a day of hunting. And the tri pod that came with my spotting scope was junk but I kinda new that when I bought it. It might be nice to have a list of things to avoid buying.

pointandshoot
12-12-2010, 10:47 PM
flew to cranbrook to do some late season hunting. i tossed some extra zap straps in the case with my gun (which had the bolt removed) for the return trip home. as luck would have it, one of those little buggers found its way down into the bore and wouldn't let me chamber a round cause it was the perfect size to get jammed in there. live and learn *always check the bore, and no extra zap straps* (lucky for me i caught this before a big booner crossed my path).

greenhorn
12-12-2010, 10:50 PM
My butler creek flip ups used to pop off my scope all the time. I fixed the problem by putting a little dab of "hot glue" on the scope then sliding the flip ups on. The glue adds enough to the scope diameter to make them fit more snug, but they're also easy to get off for cleaning.

All my other hunting gear is really old hand-me downs, so no advice from me on what new gadgets are good/bad....

Gateholio
12-12-2010, 11:14 PM
If scope covers are falling off, electric tape will hold them in place....

Ron.C
12-12-2010, 11:17 PM
After 9 seasons, my cabelas rain jacket is starting to leak:icon_frow, alot.

No complaints though, I got pleanty of use out of it. Luckily they still sell the same one.

You listening Santa!!!!!!

The Hermit
12-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Couple years ago I got a set of the Cabellas Ultralight Packable Rain gear... ripped the first time out.

RayHill
12-13-2010, 01:11 AM
just wondering what gear let people down this season. For me I discovered butler creak flip up lens covers wont last a day of hunting. And the tri pod that came with my spotting scope was junk but I kinda new that when I bought it. It might be nice to have a list of things to avoid buying.

What did you do to you lens covers? I have hunted with mine for years and love em

shawnwells
12-13-2010, 05:23 AM
my brand new wilgame innovations rangefinder turned out to be basically broken right out of the box...well not broken just junk...wont pick up on anything over 150 yards and is supposed to be good for 500 not to mention if it gets even a little bit cold it won't even turn on...you get what you pay for I guess...

CanuckShooter
12-13-2010, 07:47 AM
My 1750 Coleman generator quit producing power in the middle of a hunting trip when we needed it to recharge the rv batteries...suspect it's something to do with the reset button?

huntermike
12-13-2010, 07:54 AM
I have broken a few of those butler creek covers to over the years,aperrently ther are some really good machined aluminun ones avail but they are very expesive so you could break or lose alot of butler creek ones before you justify the cost of the aluminum ones,
HUNTERMIKE

wos
12-13-2010, 08:06 AM
The plastic at the hinge of the lens cap cracks especially in cold weather. I broke 4 of them this year. I will be looking for something better this year.

bighorn
12-13-2010, 08:16 AM
i broke alot of those flip up scope covers,so i went to the bikini covers,just a piece of rubber.works good eonugh for me.

bigwhiteys
12-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Those Butler Creek scope covers are a total waste of money (plastic ones) they lasted not even 1/4 mile of hiking through buckbrush with my gun strapped to my pack.

They didn't come loose and fall off, they literally just fell apart. One of those stretchy pieces of rubber is my scope cover now.

I never had any other failures with gear this year.

Carl

Ambush
12-13-2010, 09:23 AM
My Swaro EL binos must be junk, because I couldn't see any decent deer with them all season.
Might have to pick up a good pair of used Tascos.

bowhunterbruce
12-13-2010, 09:27 AM
My 1750 Coleman generator quit producing power in the middle of a hunting trip when we needed it to recharge the rv batteries...suspect it's something to do with the reset button?
alot of generators have a safety shutoff when your oil level gets a little to low,i'd be looking at that first

greenhorn
12-13-2010, 10:32 AM
The plastic at the hinge of the lens cap cracks especially in cold weather. I broke 4 of them this year. I will be looking for something better this year.

I must have different covers then. The material used for my butler creeks is really rubbery. They don't feel like your typical thermoplastic.... I bought mine a while back so maybe they're different

Tell ya what, you can buy mine for $100 :mrgreen:

Slinky Pickle
12-13-2010, 11:13 AM
i tossed some extra zap straps in the case with my gun (which had the bolt removed) for the return trip home. as luck would have it, one of those little buggers found its way down into the bore and wouldn't let me chamber a round.

I wonder what would have happened if it was still stuck but you were able to chamber a round. I don't put anything in my gun case.... except my gun.