PDA

View Full Version : First day out with a no-peep, review

Rectifier
12-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Updated:

So I've had the no-peep a few months now and it's time to throw out an updated review of the thing. I have been extremely satisfied with it after figuring out a bit of 'growing pains' with it.

First off, there is no parallax error as I was concerned about due to eye/nock misalignment. I've taken it out past 60 yards and still punch 'em right into the bull. This is a huge relief.
However, you CAN introduce your own parallax error if you are not careful about the string blur. Now that you are not looking through a peep you are looking past the string. It is possible to anchor wrong and still have the sight light up OK if you put the string blur in the wrong spot. You have to place it in the same spot every time or you WILL miss side to side - try to keep it close to the pins - I drop it just on the right of the lighted points of my pins. If I start missing side to side I realize I have forgotten about the string blur. After a couple months of shooting it is no longer an issue, just part of my anchor routine.

I've taken it to a few 3d's and it is great out in the woods. I believe it to be as accurate as any peep. Ridgedale in the rain is a good workout for any bowhunting gear, I think. Gives a lot more visibility esp. for a wrong-eyed shooter like me (I close my left eye... I have a bad left shoulder and have to draw right.) and just gives a more open "archery" feel than peering through the little peep hole. Downside is, occasionally wiping rain off the lens. I only did it twice in a day of shooting though, you can see fine through the mist, but when it gets big droplets you have to wipe it.

I noticed I have almost completely stopped torquing the bow at all and usually draw right to my anchor point as indicated on the no-peep. It has definitely improved my anchoring.

Also I bought a new bow and it wasn't that hard to set up after I had done it once.

I noted about aperture effect before and as my eyes are good it doesn't affect me. But it may annoy shooters with bad eyes who rely on the peep aperture to sharpen up pins and target - and for 'pro competition' guys, that sharpness of the pins may slightly improve accuracy. I would say 99% of hunters won't care about this.

So, an updated summary...

Pros:
- very sensitive to torque
- rock solid anchor
- good vision in dim conditions
- no peep creep
- no parallax error
- 10fps faster without the peep

cons:
- a bit annoying to set up, but it's a one time thing
- loss of 'aperture effect' focus from peep
- watch out for the string blur!
- fogs up in heavy rain

Original post follows:

Peeps annoy me and I've been looking to try something of the sort for awhile, so when one turned up at Boorman's I jumped on it after a bit of inspecting in the store.
The no-peep has been discontinued, I believe if you want to buy a new one the "anchor sight" is a similar piece of kit with nicer adjustments for quite a bit more cash.

Anyways, I'm sure there are other guys wondering what these things are about, mounting one on my bow has answered a lot of the questions I had about it.

First off the no-peep is not a "sight" of any sort, think of it as a kisser button for your bow rather than your string. Once you anchor your string on your face, you then anchor the bow to your eye by looking at the no-peep. This gives a very robust anchor which is why you can then do away with the peep.

The no-peep itself is very sensitive to angle which is how it works. There is a fisheye lens inside that focuses a dot inside a circle to tell you you are looking straight down the barrel. To imagine how sensitive it is, if I grip my bow with a fist, the dot completely disappears from the sight picture. It takes very little torque to move the dot outside the circle.

On the downside it is a lot of work to adjust - it's still not dialed in quite right, my eye is too far from the string which causes a small amount of parallax error. You need really tiny allen keys to adjust it, what a pain! As it is, it shoots very repeatable, tight groups - but there is a parallax error of about 2"/10yds - which should go away once I adjust it properly (I hope.) I also had to move my sight pins (gang adjust only) since my anchor had moved a bit now that I am not looking through the string.

I felt it was really easy to see the targets on a dim and dreary day which normally has me staring through even my large peep, but since I was no longer looking through the tight peep aperture, the pins were fuzzier when focused on the target. This one really depends on your eyes I think, it didn't bug me since my eyes are pretty good.

Even sighted in kind of half-assedly I took it to the Abbotsford fun shoot 3d today with no peep on my string and it shot pretty nicely. The fiber that lights the sight is super bright, even indoors. I feel that I can see better and acquire targets faster than with my peep since there is one less alignment step to perform, and that it shows up bad form that otherwise is hard to notice.

So far I feel I like it, I'll follow up when I get it tuned in more and get more shooting with it under my belt

Ubertuber
12-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks for you thoughts.
I use an Achor Sight and my buddy uses a No Peep. It took us a bit the get used to no peeps, but we both really like them now.

saddlemaker
12-13-2010, 09:12 AM
i have used no-peeps for years... I have never wished for a peep sight .

Stéphane
12-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Intriguing! I'm fairly new to archery and I went from a tube to tubeless, which was a great improvement in speed. I imagine this would increase it even more.
Rectifier, can you keep us posted with the progress (grouping and all)? Quite frankly, I think the less things hanging on that string the better.

I was reading on the Martin forum that one guy even prefers to hunt without leaches or cat whiskers to have maximum speed. D loop, that's it! He claims to be a very successful hunter.

Ddog
12-13-2010, 10:48 AM
since i have had a bow the best peep i have used is the "C" peep. Best in low light situations.

Rectifier
04-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Bump - updated review in top post for anyone interested

Bowzone_Mikey
04-08-2011, 09:25 AM
I am curious at some of your Pros .... how does the no peep create a rock solid anchor since that is a cam and draw stop thing with the proper draw lenth. also what bow were you shooting and what peep were you shooting and comparing to get an extra 10 feet per second?

Bow Walker
04-08-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm glad it's working out for you. As with anything 'new' there is a definite learning curve to be conquered.

I am one of those who needs help within the aperture - I use a verifier - so I'll be sticking to my Specialty Peep housing(s) on my bows.

BiG Boar
04-08-2011, 10:06 AM
How many guys are using them in competition that allows peeps? I think it has some merit however I also think it's another gimick. Not to say it doesn't work, but if it totally improved the acuracy or speed I think you would see more people switching to it. The rain factor would be enough to deter me as a hunter on the wet coast. Could you effectively draw in rain while hunting?

Rectifier
04-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Mikey: In terms of a rock solid anchor, I mean that if you move your anchor point or tilt your head even slightly it will show up in the no-peep sight picture moving off center. It doesn't make the physical anchor more solid but it will show you when your form deviates, resulting in very repeatable anchoring.
The 10fps gain was realized on a PSE Stinger w/nothing on the string but an x-large 3-string peep and d-loop. Now I shoot an X-force but I'm not putting a peep back on to see if it goes slower!

Big boar: not sure if people use them in competition - when deciding to buy one I read a lot of discussion as to whether they were allowed in competition due to the presence of a lens (though it does not magnify the target itself). Rain was not a real issue, in the pouring rain I had to wipe it twice in a day with my glove. The big deal to me was the improvement in visibility because I shoot with just one eye open.

Part of the theory is to use it as a training aid to develop a perfect anchor (like olympic shooters do - no peeps allowed and damn sharp shooting) - at that point it's just dead weight on the bow and you could take it off if you don't want it for verification. I have found that after a few months I am much better at anchoring with the no-peep lit up right away, whereas I used to have to "wiggle" my anchor around to get it centered. That's real improvement in my form, and if I ever go back to a peep, I hope to be a better shot for the time I spent with the no-peep.

Not trying to sell the thing here but give some solid commentary on what they actually do - I couldn't find out any real info from shooters until I just bought the damn thing and tried it