PDA

View Full Version : Skagit Valley Rd

gearjunkierob
12-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Just wanted to pass on the info that the Skagit Valley Road is washed out and impassable near the south of Silver Lake. A friend of mine called me from Hope today (Dec 12) to let me know that he and his dad were airlifted out of the valley by Hope SAR/RCMP. RCMP were kind enough to drive them from Valley Helicopters (where they landed) out to Tim Hortons so they could wait for a ride to come pick them up from Vancouver. According to him they estimate the road will be out for 3-4 days minimum.

Not sure the exact location of the washout....S of Silver Lake but N of the gravel pit.

An FYI for anybody heading out there for a last minute hunt - probably best to find a different valley!

yamadirt 426
12-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Someone want the valley to themselves for the last few days. JK thanks for the heads up

keoke
12-13-2010, 11:31 AM
I was one of many people stuck behind the slide. We also dug out a smaller wash out and managed to dive over it. When we saw search and rescue we walked over the wash out. That is when we found out we could have been helicoptered out, we almost walked back lol. I just hope all of our vehicles are okay. I did find some nice deer prints, hope they fix the road before the 15 for a last minute hunt.

gearjunkierob
12-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Ha ha, no doubt. I would have been tempted to walk back for a free helicopter ride myself! I was stuck in a washout in the Skagit myself a number of years ago. Spent an unplanned night out in the field (well, in the cab of my truck) on a May long weekend. Don't wish that on anybody so I am glad you were able to make it out safe and sound. I hope your vehicles are OK too - at least they aren't sitting right beside the washout. At least now you have an "excuse" to go back to the valley for yet another hunt!

oddsix
12-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Was he driving a white sidekick or tracker.A friend and I were up there to on sunday but decided to try another valley and turned around i guess that was a good idea