PDA

View Full Version : Last day out in Squamish: Finally tracked a buck!

seanps
12-12-2010, 01:14 PM
<snip><snip><snip>

kennyj
12-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Thats the only way to learn. Get out there and stomp around. You'll find key little areas and know when to go super slow next time. I don't think taking your dog along will improve your chances. Keep hiking through the winter and you'll keep learning.
kenny

hunter1947
12-13-2010, 03:00 AM
Thats the only way to learn. Get out there and stomp around. You'll find key little areas and know when to go super slow next time. I don't think taking your dog along will improve your chances. Keep hiking through the winter and you'll keep learning.
kenny

Kenny has put some good advice take all in :wink:..

seanps
12-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Yep. The dog would've stayed at home but the wife was away and I had to bring him with me. Figured I'd make the most of it! :)

Biggest lesson I've learned is to look under trees for bedded deer: I've been watching up high, expecting to see a deer mid-stride or standing behind a tree. Didn't think to look low to the ground.

LukaTisus
12-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Last year, my Dad and I were hunting while it was snowing real hard. We drove past this one spot where we usually see deer, didn't see anything (or thought we didn't.) On the way back up past that spot, there was a fresh bed. RIGHT there next to the road.

There had been a deer laying there, so covered in snow that you couldn't see it and it had got up and left after we'd passed with the truck. :P So it's easy to miss them if you aren't paying attention!

One other little hint is that a buck will sometimes circle back toward you to see what spooked it if it didn't figure you out straight off. A lot of times, sitting quietly and waiting around where you flushed one out will produce nice results as, if you're paying attention to your surroundings, you'll see it sneaking back toward you to take a peek. Real big whitetail pull this one all the time, making a wide circle around what spooked them to either get their wind, or identify the 'strange creature' it spotted. This happened to me last year, was on the tail of a VERY big buck, and he literally had me tracking him in circles back over our old tracks three times. LOL I only caught a glimpse of him once, and he was a nice one.. but he was gone out of sight so fast I couldn't even get the crosshairs on him.