PDA

View Full Version : Planning my first ever deer hunt & have questions

Stéphane
12-12-2010, 09:03 AM
I am just thrilled with my new Bengal. So much that I decided to get a deer tag and go for a one day hunt in region 8. This is a place where I counted several deer last time I went camping. I went to the range yesterday and grouping within 30 yards was "deadly". 20 yards "heart splitting". I tried with the broadheads, and same result. I tried 40 yards and although most of them were in a deadly grouping, I won't try it. "A good man knows his limitations." (Dirty Harry)

I was going to try for 18th and the morning of the 19th (I have to be back home Sunday afternoon because we're hosting a party), but I only have a tent.:( So instead, I will leave early Monday morning (4am) for one day only deer hunt. I really don't expect to get anything, but it will be educational in the very least. And should one get within 20 yards, then I'll be eating deer this winter.

I just read a great article on shot placement.
http://www.shotplacement.com/
Glad I did.

Now I don't have any camo gear. I come from Québec where the law says you need to wear blaze (orange) while hunting except for bow only season. Since I was only grouse hunting, I felt safer wearing bright orange clothing. Since it is only bow, then I won't wear orange, but would a brown Man Tracker like outfit be okay?

Should I find a spot where I see tracks and wait or just walk around?

I was thinking of going with only 3 broadheads: one already nocked and 2 in my quiver. That's all it will fit. I can't imagine needing more. Am I wrong?

On top of that, I'll bring binoculars and a knife. Enough for a day trip?

Say for the sake of it, that I get lucky.
If I follow all the guidelines in the shot placement page, I might have to wait until the next day before recovering the animal. The season ends on the 20th. Can I do that?

Registering the animal. I'll reread my synopsis, but maybe someone can guide me a bit here. Where and when do I have to do it? Do I bring the entire animal?

Thanks in advance,

Stéphane

Ddog
12-12-2010, 09:41 AM
First off, i will answer the last question you asked, You do not have to register your animal with any group. You must however tag the animal immediately upon recovery. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS CORRECTLY> CUT THE MONTH, DAY, REGION NUMBER AND SEX OF THE ANIMAL. There is no excuse for doing this wrong, straight forward and simple.
IF you have a clean shot on your animal there would be no reason to wait until the next day to recover it, an hour at most should suffice.
if you do have to wait to the next day to recover your animal it should be alright over night because the temperature is below zero, so dont worry about the spoiling.

Broadheads- can never have to many, if you carry only 3 and you miss your intended target and do not recover your arrow, then what? Miss 3 x and your on your way home.
I have done that early in my bowhunting career due to excitedness or nervousness or whatever it was and left early because of no broadheads left.
if you feel comfortable with only 3 then so be it.
Bino's and a knife should be fine for a day trip, how about a tarp to put your animal in, and perhaps a couple of ziplock bags to put the heart and liver in should you decide to keep them.
I also carry a bone saw, some small rope and some larger rope (in my truck)
and some extra clothes, i have a 5 gallon water dispenser in there to for washing and drinking after getting an animal out.
i would do lots of driving around considering you are only hunting for one day, cover more ground. usually the animals are not to hard to take in this late archery season, ( talking from years of experience) in region 8.

phoenix
12-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Region 8? All the deer closed here on Dec.10 I believe. The only open whitetail I can see are in Region 6 which is a long drive for a 1 day hunt. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Kim

moosinaround
12-12-2010, 10:06 AM
WHITE-TAILED DEER 8-1 to 8-15, 8-21 to 8-26 Bucks Sept 10 - Nov 30 1

8-1 to 8-15, 8-21 to 8-26 Antlerless Oct 10 - Oct 31 1

Youth Season* 8-1 to 8-15, 8-21 to 8-26 Bucks Sept 1 - Sept 9 1

Youth Season* 8-1 to 8-15, 8-21 to 8-26 Either Sex Nov 1 - Nov 30 1

Bow Only Season 8-1 to 8-15, 8-21 to 8-26 Bucks Sept 1 - Sept 9 1
Bow Only Season 8-1 to 8-15, 8-21 to 8-26 Either Sex Dec 1 - Dec 20 2 (1)

Ddog
12-12-2010, 10:09 AM
you just got corrected KIM.

Stéphane
12-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks Ddog for the advice. I'll comment on that later on, I have to get ready for the shooting fundraiser.

Steeleco
12-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Stéphane if you've the time, stop back in one day after work and we'll get you all sorted out. Even have a spot you may want to try!!

This time I'll put on the coffee!!

Big Lew
12-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Please also carry a good and complete first aid kit, many people have cut themselves badly, or gored/ripped themselves on sharp broked branches when excitedly rushing through logging slashes, especially if wet or covered with snow.

firstlight
12-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Still a firm believer in a compass, map, gps, etc...

Maybe it's over kill but in addition to a first aid kit I always bring a compact over night kit of the basics. I got stuck out once over a chilly night and was not prepared, never again I hope; I always try and be prepared for an unexpected cold night in the woods. Never know if your a mile or two in and sprain an ankle at sunset kind of thing.

Things like a pocket sized emergency blanket, 2mm 9x12ft painters plastic (for quick shelter), some zip ties and gaffer tape, flint/steel, water proof match container, signal mirror, emergency whistle, swiss army knife, water tablets, parachute cord/rope, bio degradable tape for marking trails, headlamp and a few other items. It's small and weighs about 1lb or so.

Arrows: a few more than 3 would be nice.

phoenix
12-12-2010, 12:03 PM
You can see why I'm confused
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/DSC01111.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/DSC01112.jpg

Steeleco
12-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Indeed, but more and more we're going to have to go online to double check they didn't have a brain fart. It's going to be like fishing soon.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1012/docs/correctionsposter.pdf

phoenix
12-12-2010, 12:17 PM
I just looked it up online. When the h**l did they change that and why didn't anybody tell me?????????? I just phoned 3 hunting buddies and not one of them knew either. I'm going hunting tomorrow:mrgreen:
Kim

Steeleco
12-12-2010, 12:21 PM
why didn't anybody tell me??????????

I just did, shut up and go hunting already. LOL
There's still daylight to burn :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Bow Walker
12-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Stephane - hopefully you're going to be taking some sort of a day pack with you. In that day pack will be some "survival gear" should an accident happen, or you get turned around (lost) for a few hours.

Things like:
first aid kit
compass
knife
fully charged cel phone
emergency blanket
waterproof matches
vaseline soaked cotton balls (fire starter) or those solid-fuel BBQ starter things
emergency rations (energy bars)
water

Maybe you can find a way to protect the broadheads of 3 more arrows and attach them to the day pack for some back up arrows. Take a couple of grouse arrows too.

I always take a day pack - even when going out for just a half-day hunt. All you have to do is to get a kilometer (or so) away from the truck and then have an accident. You've got to be able to survive the night if you get stuck.

Tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back to check in with them. If you don't make it back then they can follow up.

Safety first - especially at this time of year.

Stéphane
12-12-2010, 01:55 PM
First off, i will answer the last question you asked, You do not have to register your animal with any group. You must however tag the animal immediately upon recovery. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS CORRECTLY> CUT THE MONTH, DAY, REGION NUMBER AND SEX OF THE ANIMAL. There is no excuse for doing this wrong, straight forward and simple.
IF you have a clean shot on your animal there would be no reason to wait until the next day to recover it, an hour at most should suffice.
if you do have to wait to the next day to recover your animal it should be alright over night because the temperature is below zero, so dont worry about the spoiling.

Broadheads- can never have to many, if you carry only 3 and you miss your intended target and do not recover your arrow, then what? Miss 3 x and your on your way home.
I have done that early in my bowhunting career due to excitedness or nervousness or whatever it was and left early because of no broadheads left.
if you feel comfortable with only 3 then so be it.
Bino's and a knife should be fine for a day trip, how about a tarp to put your animal in, and perhaps a couple of ziplock bags to put the heart and liver in should you decide to keep them.
I also carry a bone saw, some small rope and some larger rope (in my truck)
and some extra clothes, i have a 5 gallon water dispenser in there to for washing and drinking after getting an animal out.
i would do lots of driving around considering you are only hunting for one day, cover more ground. usually the animals are not to hard to take in this late archery season, ( talking from years of experience) in region 8.

Thanks so much for the clarification regarding the registry. Again, I'm going back to my dad's hunting experiences back East where they need to register. Depending on the snow, I might do a bit of driving before I decide exactly what I'll do. I'll have more arrows and broadheads in the truck, but I can't see myself carrying more while walking.

Stéphane
12-12-2010, 01:57 PM
I just looked it up online. When the h**l did they change that and why didn't anybody tell me?????????? I just phoned 3 hunting buddies and not one of them knew either. I'm going hunting tomorrow:mrgreen:
Kim

I had the very same question, that's why I put up that thread:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59882

Stéphane
12-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Stéphane if you've the time, stop back in one day after work and we'll get you all sorted out. Even have a spot you may want to try!!

This time I'll put on the coffee!!

David, you're on! Can I bring my knife for sharpening as well?

How about I stop at Timis and grab coffee for the whole family? Donuts? Timbits?

Stéphane
12-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Stephane - hopefully you're going to be taking some sort of a day pack with you. In that day pack will be some "survival gear" should an accident happen, or you get turned around (lost) for a few hours.

Things like:
first aid kit
compass
knife
fully charged cel phone
emergency blanket
waterproof matches
vaseline soaked cotton balls (fire starter) or those solid-fuel BBQ starter things
emergency rations (energy bars)
water

Maybe you can find a way to protect the broadheads of 3 more arrows and attach them to the day pack for some back up arrows. Take a couple of grouse arrows too.

I always take a day pack - even when going out for just a half-day hunt. All you have to do is to get a kilometer (or so) away from the truck and then have an accident. You've got to be able to survive the night if you get stuck.

Tell someone where you're going and when you expect to be back to check in with them. If you don't make it back then they can follow up.

Safety first - especially at this time of year.

I always bring food, water and fire. I also have a compass, but I don't have map for that region. Cell phone? What's that? I haven't had a cell phone since 2003.
Having said that, I'm pretty savvy when it comes to orientation. I always tell someone where I'll be, and if I have to stay over night, I'll make to appropriate calls. So, can I go?:mrgreen:

Steeleco
12-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Any day except Tues. I may even be able to join you on the 20th. I've got all you need for the day out. I'll just look for kitties!!!

kishman
12-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Don't forget to bring(and use)your camera! Good luck,:-D and let us know how you did.

RoscoeP
12-12-2010, 05:47 PM
If you are going to be there just for the day I would move around rather than sitting in one spot. I like to sit but after scouting out an area. Maybe try and find an area with some cover but also some trails and open areas then move around slowly. It will give you a look at the lay of the land and help on future hunts. Good luck, and post some pics. Cheers

savagecanuck
12-12-2010, 08:06 PM
If you do get something even though its cold out do not leave it overnite unless you hang it up.Between the coyotes and ravens there will be nothing left when you return

Stéphane
12-12-2010, 08:48 PM
If you are going to be there just for the day I would move around rather than sitting in one spot. I like to sit but after scouting out an area. Maybe try and find an area with some cover but also some trails and open areas then move around slowly. It will give you a look at the lay of the land and help on future hunts. Good luck, and post some pics. Cheers

Yep, that's the plan. I really have no real expectations, but if the opportunity presents itself . . .I'm not about to say no.

If you do get something even though its cold out do not leave it overnite unless you hang it up.Between the coyotes and ravens there will be nothing left when you return

The reason I was saying I would wait until the morning comes from what I read on Shotplacement.com.
"5. If you catch the guts only, you're in for at least a 6 hour minimum wait with 8 hours being more preferrable and overnight being the best case scenario. In case of rain or snow you should get down, find your arrow (http://www.bowhunting.com/shopping/Departments/Arrows-and-Shafts/Arrows.aspx#cs), find the blood trail, and wait for the next morning. If you know your property, you' ll find him close."

This is the worst case scenario, and I was going to find a place to spend the night then come back the next day. This is of course if I get in this pickle near the end of the afternoon.

But I really value Ddog's opinion and he kind of enlightened me with the waiting time. And now you.
I won't even try unless I get a really close shot, so that should take care of a really bad hit and the 8h wait. And who knows, I might even have a partner to guide me. It's all good8)

steve62
12-13-2010, 10:20 AM
I have the 2010 - 2012 Hunting & Trapping regulations synopsis and in them' in region 8 no Deer are open passed Dec 10th.

RoscoeP
12-13-2010, 11:12 AM
I have the 2010 - 2012 Hunting & Trapping regulations synopsis and in them' in region 8 no Deer are open passed Dec 10th.

I just checked my book and can't find anything after the 10th Dec??

phoenix
12-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Come on people, read the whole thread, we have already covered this. Go to the MOE website and download the real regs.
Kim

phoenix
12-13-2010, 11:39 AM
try here
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1012/docs/correctionsposter.pdf

Lee
12-13-2010, 08:31 PM
If you're leaving in the morning try and time it out that you are at where you intend to hunt for first light. Do your drive/scout - if unsuccessful during that time start looking for an area with large amounts of movement or where you maybe saw some deer earlier and try to set up in that area for the afternoon/last light. You are going in cold in an area so get to know the lay of the land ASAP and seeing the trails (hopefully you get a new snow on the ground to help you) that are beat in will help you locate a deer. I would suggest some sort of scent attractant as well, give yourself the best opportunity for limited time factor. I have gone bow hunting 3 times in region 8 since late season opened, each time was a cold run and using those methods has helped me bag a good sized doe ( I know, no major effort really) but the buck I fevered out on yesterday would have made that a 2 bags for 3 trips ratio....now if I had of thought out my shooting lanes a little better that would have been a reality:evil::evil::?:?. Would have been a 2 for 2 ratio if I had of remembered to hunt my way back to the truck the first time as well....friggin 5x white tail that was 20 feet from the truck didn't want to stick around.....

GL!!

Stéphane
12-13-2010, 11:03 PM
If you're leaving in the morning try and time it out that you are at where you intend to hunt for first light. Do your drive/scout - if unsuccessful during that time start looking for an area with large amounts of movement or where you maybe saw some deer earlier and try to set up in that area for the afternoon/last light. You are going in cold in an area so get to know the lay of the land ASAP and seeing the trails (hopefully you get a new snow on the ground to help you) that are beat in will help you locate a deer. I would suggest some sort of scent attractant as well, give yourself the best opportunity for limited time factor. I have gone bow hunting 3 times in region 8 since late season opened, each time was a cold run and using those methods has helped me bag a good sized doe ( I know, no major effort really) but the buck I fevered out on yesterday would have made that a 2 bags for 3 trips ratio....now if I had of thought out my shooting lanes a little better that would have been a reality:evil::evil::?:?. Would have been a 2 for 2 ratio if I had of remembered to hunt my way back to the truck the first time as well....friggin 5x white tail that was 20 feet from the truck didn't want to stick around.....

GL!!

Thanks Lee, that's my exact plan! Leave home at 4am, arrive at the hunting ground just before sunrise. I don't know how much snow there is, and if I'll be able to do much driving around to scout. I do intend to leave late too to get the last light. Really stoked about it too. I got a couple of offers from people wanting to join in as well, so looks like I'll have an experience hunter with me too. 7 more sleeps! Actually, 7 more "waking up". :-D

Worse comes to worse, I'll have a better idea of what to expect next year.

Stéphane
12-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Getting closer. I did some shooting practice today to mimic the environment. Got dressed the way I'll be, practice moving the bow out of the sling, practice shooting in low lights (that needed some work, but got better at the end), I even bought a light for my sights. I also practice my sequence of events. I shot my broadheads and picked 3 with arrows to be my primaries. One more time tomorrow and I should be ready with that aspect.

I got ropes, tarp, candles and fire, dry food already in my daypack. Knives, camera, compass and map all packed. (Thanks Steeleco, by the way). I put the clothes I'll wear in the fir branches to replace the smell of soap.

I hope to leave early and grab an egg mcmuffin meal in Princeton. Hopefully I can find a good spot to sit and wait until a couple of hours after daylight. Then I'll play it by the ear.

I have to say that after reading "So you want to kill a monster muley?", I realise that luck will need to play a big part of a successful hunt, but whatever I can do to increase the luck, I will do.

Thanks to everyone who helped me so far with advice and preparation. If I get lucky, my next thread will look like an Oscar winning speech.

fozzy
12-21-2010, 12:19 AM
You can see why I'm confused
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/DSC01111.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/DSC01112.jpg

Too much of what is pictured in your avatar? :)
Sorry just couldn't resist