PDA

View Full Version : 'permission to accompany'

Mr. Friendly
12-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I would like to know more about this hunting permit. I've got a cousin in BC and a cousin in Alberta...the one often comes across into BC and hunts with a 'permission to accompany' permit. I want to know what it does and doesn't allow for. can anyone direct me?

the information located here is rather vague and doesn't elaborate as to what the permit to accompany authorizes:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/accompany_hunt.html#a1

sherpa-Al
12-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Go see your Gov agent for the "Permit to Accompany". The permit requires name, address, birthdate, hunt dates etc. Very easy to apply for takes a month or so to approve with a $55 application fee. There are a few rules to abide by with the hunt but those are laid out for you in your approved permit, royalties etc. Very good way to hunt with friends from other provinces, I'm glad it's available.

Al.

hunter1947
12-12-2010, 03:04 AM
I had my younger brother from Saskatchewan come to hunt with me this year for WT deer.

I had to go to service BC and get the paper work he needed to hunt with me the host.

#1 He needed a permit
#2 animal tags.
He has to be along side of the host at all times when hunting ..

After the hunt is completed you as the host have to report to the wildlife branch or service BC and hand in your forms to them within so many days after the hunt all is said on the permit forms what you have to do during this hunt.

If applying for a permit it can take up to 6 weeks to get so apply early..
If the person from out of the Provence shoots something they have to pay more money for the animal they shot as well as paying for the animal tag its all on the paper work what you got to pay ,each animal will vary in coast..

XPEIer
12-12-2010, 07:45 AM
What sucks about those is it can only be in one region, so if you head north for a moose hunt, say region 7, all of your guests hunting has to be in region 7.

I lived on the border between region 3 and 8, but had to choose one region to hunt.

And, dont get me started on having to pay royalties.

XPEIER

AT&T
12-12-2010, 08:33 AM
So much for resident hunting priority . Hell why not just give it to the guides then.

Blainer
12-12-2010, 08:47 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/accompany_hunt.html (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/accompany_hunt.html)

MuleyMadness
12-12-2010, 09:24 AM
So much for resident hunting priority . Hell why not just give it to the guides then.

I don't understand what this is supposed to mean.

First off the permits are only for residents of Canada, and they are very strict in what they allow and don't allow...additionally not all species are available to hunt this way, and an out of province hunter cannot put in for LEHs. It allows people, in a controlled way (and on controlled species) to hunt with friends and relatives from out of province. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

AT&T
12-12-2010, 10:25 AM
yes you are right. I just dont like somebody taking a few freinds whatever from another province to shoot a bunch of moose in open season. It just bugs me somehow. I am just a BC boy. I like to see the wildlife here shot by BC faces. Personaly I dont give a dam about someone from Ottawa or anywhere else wanting to hunt here. They might as well be from Washington.

BromBones
12-12-2010, 12:13 PM
yes you are right. I just dont like somebody taking a few freinds whatever from another province to shoot a bunch of moose in open season. It just bugs me somehow. I am just a BC boy. I like to see the wildlife here shot by BC faces. Personaly I dont give a dam about someone from Ottawa or anywhere else wanting to hunt here. They might as well be from Washington.

Why be a pissypants about it? The guy was looking for info about the permit, not some random hunters anti-nonresident opinion.

There are some hunt opportunities in BC that are under utilized by residents and no shortage of animals. Black bear comes to mind right away - not many residents bother with them, so there's nothing wrong with letting some non-resis harvest a few.

Page 9 in the Hunting Regs explains the permits somewhat. Also, a non resident who is also not a canadian resident/citizen can still get a permit, they just have to be direct family, excluding cousins.

Maybe I'll have to bring my uncle up from Washington for a moose hunt next year:-D

steve62
12-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Rumor has it that the Outfitter here in BC are lobbying the Gov to stop resident hunter from hunting in BC That NO hunting should be allowed without a guide, and royalities should be paid on all animals taken.

bandit
12-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Rumor has it that the Outfitter here in BC are lobbying the Gov to stop resident hunter from hunting in BC That NO hunting should be allowed without a guide, and royalities should be paid on all animals taken.

If guides werent so overpriced then non-res might be more inclined to use them rather than the permit to accompany!

Ambush
12-12-2010, 01:01 PM

Saskatchewan and Alberta let me hunt there. Why shouldn't they hunt here? And it's a lot less work for my Alberta family to get a permit to accompany me than it is the other way around.

Are you jealous or just selfish?

snowhunter
12-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Maximum is 21 consecutive day for each of the two permit allowed for out of province hunters being accompanied by B.C. hunters, and only three sub-regions can be chosen.

If the maximum of two, from out of province hunters a year, comes along on these permits, they have to be on the same time frame.

Best to apply for all the 21 days permitted. Gives more flexibility on your hunting dates.

CanuckShooter
12-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Maximum is 21 consecutive day for each of the two permit allowed for out of province hunters being accompanied by B.C. hunters, and only three sub-regions can be chosen.

If the maximum of two, from out of province hunters a year, comes along on these permits, they have to be on the same time frame.

Best to apply for all the 21 days permitted. Gives more flexibility on your hunting dates.

Best bet is to move back to BC...the guy I get the permit for was born & raised here, and had to move to Alberta for work...now when he comes to hunt I have to follow him around like some green horn kid....and the royalties are just criminal.....

firstlight
12-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't understand what this is supposed to mean.

First off the permits are only for residents of Canada, and they are very strict in what they allow and don't allow...additionally not all species are available to hunt this way, and an out of province hunter cannot put in for LEHs. It allows people, in a controlled way (and on controlled species) to hunt with friends and relatives from out of province. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Just to clarify, the person does not need to be a Canadian resident or citizen...

They can be from anywhere in the world as long as the qualify under the Non-Resident Hunter / Permit to Accompany guidelines: page 9 under Non-Resident Hunters in the Hunting regulations synopsis IE:

A non resident alien (a person who is neither a resident nor a non resident) whose relationship to the applicant falls within the following categories: Father; Mother; Spouse; Brother; Sister; Father-in-law; Son; Daughter; Mother-in-law; Uncle; Aunt; Son-in-law; Nephew; Niece; Daughter-in-law; Grandson; Granddaughter; Brother-in-law; Grandfather; Grandmother; Sister-in-law.
NOTE: “COUSIN” is NOT an accepted relationship

Guide / Outfitters: I would be shocked if they tried to pass a law saying BC residents needed a "guide". That would end hunting if current guide prices stayed the same. For example a black bear guide on the north end of the island charges $10,000.00 for one bowhunter, not included is HST, etc. No way a normal person could pay that kind of fee.

MuleyMadness
12-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Just to clarify, the person does not need to be a Canadian resident or citizen...

They can be from anywhere in the world as long as the qualify under the Non-Resident Hunter / Permit to Accompany guidelines: page 9 under Non-Resident Hunters in the Hunting regulations synopsis IE:

A non resident alien (a person who is neither a resident nor a non resident) whose relationship to the applicant falls within the following categories:
Father; Mother; Spouse; Brother; Sister; Father-in-law; Son; Daughter; Mother-in-law; Uncle; Aunt; Son-in-law; Nephew; Niece; Daughter-in-law; Grandson; Granddaughter; Brother-in-law; Grandfather; Grandmother; Sister-in-law.
NOTE: “COUSIN” is NOT an accepted relationship

Guide / Outfitters: I would be shocked if they tried to pass a law saying BC residents needed a "guide". That would end hunting if current guide prices stayed the same. For example a black bear guide on the north end of the island charges $10,000.00 for one bowhunter, not included is HST, etc. No way a normal person could pay that kind of fee.

Yes the regs do say that and as a point of law it is true. Try getting one for a non resident alien though...that is something else entirely. Just like you can legally get a permission to accompany for hunting sheep, but they never grant them.

firstlight
12-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Yes the regs do say that and as a point of law it is true. Try getting one for a non resident alien though...that is something else entirely. Just like you can legally get a permission to accompany for hunting sheep, but they never grant them.

Good one, I really wouldn't know as I've never applied to permission to accompany.

abbyfireguy
12-12-2010, 04:13 PM

Never happen. Can you imagine the reaction from all the resident tax-paying hunters. It would be a foggy Tuesday when I would need a highly overpriced quide to tell me how to harvest a moose after I already have over 20 to my credit. Pretty bizarre for them to even consider such an idiotic recommendation.
But then, nothing surprises me with some of the "Odd-balls" out guiding. Sad when a few ruin the reputation of the many.

pickaspot
12-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Very interesting thread. I personally do not have a problem with the concept, why not spread the opportunity? The future of our sport relies on numbers (especially youngsters).

Quick question though. I thought I was researching this a few years back and found that you cannot take a person on a sheep or goat general tag hunt. Is there a species limitation on a permission to accompany? Anyone confirm or deny?

Much appreciated.

Mr. Friendly
12-12-2010, 06:29 PM
I more want to know what is and what isn't allowed by the non-resident hunter that's accompanying. have plans to go with my one cousin that lives in BC while his brother from Alberta accompanies us. I just want to have my ducks in a row. who can shoot, who's tags cancel etc. there's a 'lack' of anything out there, even the FAQ doesn't say much. I'd just like to read up on before I call the ministry to get answers.

Ambush
12-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I more want to know what is and what isn't allowed by the non-resident hunter that's accompanying. have plans to go with my one cousin that lives in BC while his brother from Alberta accompanies us. I just want to have my ducks in a row. who can shoot, who's tags cancel etc. there's a 'lack' of anything out there, even the FAQ doesn't say much. I'd just like to read up on before I call the ministry to get answers.

Non-resident must buy his own hunting license and tags. Everybody must shoot only his own tags. Prices as listed in the regs.

Call of the Wild
12-12-2010, 09:04 PM
The main lines of this license are already mentioned.

One of the main aspects of the application requires the two hunters applying MUST NOT HAVE A VIOLATION OF THE WILDLIFE ACT OR THE FIREARM ACT. The following is two examples that would deny you a permit of accompany; during an inspection by a F&W officer your rifle’s magazine would have been loaded in a vehicle, a federal firearm act violation, or over the possession limit for bird/fish, a provincial wildlife act violation.

goatdancer
12-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Very interesting thread. I personally do not have a problem with the concept, why not spread the opportunity? The future of our sport relies on numbers (especially youngsters).

Quick question though. I thought I was researching this a few years back and found that you cannot take a person on a sheep or goat general tag hunt. Is there a species limitation on a permission to accompany? Anyone confirm or deny?

Much appreciated.

Goats are not a problem, but you will never get a permit for sheep. And it is 'permit to accompany' as previously stated.

elkdom
12-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Guide / Outfitters: I would be shocked if they tried to pass a law saying BC residents needed a "guide". That would end hunting if current guide prices stayed the same. For example a black bear guide on the north end of the island charges $10,000.00 for one bowhunter, not included is HST, etc. No way a normal person could pay that kind of fee.[/quote]

NO normal person would pay anything, to shoot a "garbage can with 4 paws":?

BCbillies
12-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Non-resident must buy his own hunting license and tags. Everybody must shoot only his own tags. Prices as listed in the regs.

Before my friend came out from Alberta this fall I purchased the licence/tags for him at the Government Agents office. Once he arrived all he had to do was get a good sleep and sign on the line! :wink:

hunter1947
12-13-2010, 02:48 AM

You would not believe how much pull the guide outfitters have with there say to the wildlife branch its scary..

XPEIer
12-13-2010, 08:21 AM
I have done about 6 with my brother, both as a Candian resident, then he moved out of country and we had to do a Non Resident Canadian. Process is pretty clean.

He can carry his own gun, purchase his own tags, fill those tags. I have to report on the permit and I have to pay royalties as I am considered a guide.

The restriction is they have to be within non aided communication at all times.

What I dont understand is, if they are out of country how can they carry a firearm under the Federal Legislation?

xpeier

Ambush
12-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Before my friend came out from Alberta this fall I purchased the licence/tags for him at the Government Agents office. Once he arrived all he had to do was get a good sleep and sign on the line! :wink:

Yep, pretty easy. But I get my license and tags for Alberta online, right from my home. Sure wish BC would do the same.

Ambush
12-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Dude, you can't get one for your cousin......it is not an accepted relationship. See the post above.
That's only for non-Canadians. No restriction on Canadian residents.

squirrelmonkey
12-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah so what about "Resident priority" ??
It's a bullshit movement really and some of you may fall for it but in reality, money talks..

Non residnets pay huge compared to residents and that's how it should be..
Myself for example went on a goat hunt this fall in your great province with my partner from Vancouver and I can tell ya that for the cost of the fee's etc. that I paid I could have funded the hunt (licenses/tags) for almost 6 residents
Do the math...Money talks bullshit walks as the saying goes.
We all pay for conservation...both residents and non .
Thanks to all you voters for giving us non residents the opportunity to hunt in your province.
Merry christmas and all the best to all you folks on this forum.
Tom

silvicon
12-13-2010, 09:56 AM
I hear for some time from local resident hunters that some are thinking of using the accompany permit for illegal guiding.
If that is the case (I am sure there is a gray zone) and MOE catches on, it will come to a quick end!

Ambush
12-13-2010, 10:19 AM
I hear for some time from local resident hunters that some are thinking of using the accompany permit for illegal guiding.

If that is the case (I am sure there is a gray zone) and MOE catches on, it will come to a quick end!
I call BS. You are trying to create an impression without actually having said anything or providing tangible evidence.

I heard that some guides are shooting tags bought by their non-hunting city relatives and giving them the meat. Just saying that's what I heard.

AT&T
12-13-2010, 10:55 AM
I call BS. You are trying to create an impression without actually having said anything or providing tangible evidence.

I heard that some guides are shooting tags bought by their non-hunting city relatives and giving them the meat. Just saying that's what I heard.

There isnt much question some of both are going on. There is no question that resident hunters do the same with their (City relatives) or freinds.

To answer this original thread I hope the fellow got the answers he needed to share a BC experience with a freind. Wish you the best.

I just see too many Alberta plates hunting bears in the spring. Just sits wrong with me. Especially when it come to Grizzly draws as its unclear who is doing the shooting.

Doesnt sit well with me.

budismyhorse
12-13-2010, 11:04 AM
ahhh, I agree.

I've happened across this scene while goat hunting........the guy from Alberta looked pretty sheepish while caping out his "partners" goat.

AT&T
12-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Exactly this is what I am talking about. Ran across this too many times. A while back I ran into a group that were skinning a female Grizzly. Looked like she was lactating. I know the girl with the grizzly draw didnt shoot the bear. I suspect that both her Alberta companions did the deed. In this situation it is worse than legal guiding by a long shot.

I dont see alot of posts about this issue. Again sorry to be grumpy with Freindly guy in his orignal post.

Ambush
12-13-2010, 11:22 AM
A while back I ran into a group that were skinning a female Grizzly. Looked like she was lactating. I know the girl with the grizzly draw didnt shoot the bear. I suspect that both her Alberta companions did the deed.
This scenario has nothing to do with non-resident Canadians hunting in BC under a permit. Since it is impossible for a non-BC resident to have a grizzly tag [LEH only, not open for outsiders] then this is simply non-resident poaching if indeed the Albertan shot the grizz.

I find little difference between this and a resident hunter shooting his licensed, but non-hunting, son's/daughter's/wife's/ brother's tag. Poachers are not restricted to certain provinces.

The OP asked about LEGAL permits to accompany and the non-resident LEGALLY hunting/tagging his animal.

budismyhorse
12-13-2010, 11:57 AM
This scenario has nothing to do with non-resident Canadians hunting in BC under a permit. Since it is impossible for a non-BC resident to have a grizzly tag [LEH only, not open for outsiders] then this is simply non-resident poaching if indeed the Albertan shot the grizz.

I find little difference between this and a resident hunter shooting his licensed, but non-hunting, son's/daughter's/wife's/ brother's tag. Poachers are not restricted to certain provinces.

The OP asked about LEGAL permits to accompany and the non-resident LEGALLY hunting/tagging his animal.

its a brutal thread......lots of info on the form and plenty of threads to research on this website......a thread deserved of a good ol' hijackin....

srupp
12-13-2010, 12:03 PM
I have Hunter hosted, permission to accompany, and it was extremely easy and I know that my Alberta hunting buddies enjoyed their experience for game animals they could not harvest in Alberta i.e. Cariboo,the rules were not that onerous, the procedure straightforward and the result spectacular. I have no problem with this system and don't suspect that it's overly subscribed to, but I don't have actual numbers… I in turn enjoy going to Alberta and being Hunter hosted by my Alberta hunting friends for animals that are readily available to me here i.e., pronghorn antelope.

Cheers

Steven

Gateholio
12-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Abusers of the BC hunting regulations include residents, guides, guides clients, non residents hunting with a permit to accompany, outfitters, natives....

I know lots of people like to stir things up with bullshit claims of wide spread abuse, but the simple facts are most people form all the user groups work within the law.

AT&T
12-13-2010, 12:54 PM
I would go as far as to say the guiding industry probably has a better track record for compliance over all others mentioned. Not throwing rocks at resident hunters or the (natives) at all.

AT&T
12-13-2010, 12:58 PM

IF Indeed it was. This happens more than one thinks. I live where alot of people hunt Grizz. I think this is only getting worse. Besides why shoot a female with cubs. just dumb.

Gateholio
12-13-2010, 02:29 PM
IF Indeed it was. This happens more than one thinks. I live where alot of people hunt Grizz. I think this is only getting worse. Besides why shoot a female with cubs. just dumb.

If you are certain that the female had cubs, did you report it to the CO's? I'd be interested in hearing their response.

knightcc
12-14-2010, 06:31 PM
I hope that doesn't happen. I realize that guides need to make money but I am from Ontario and would love to come out west and shoot an elk. I also think that guys from BC, AB etc should be able to come to Ontario and have a crack at the monster whitetails, or a couple of the 40 or so wild turkeys that I have walking in my winter wheat field almost every day. As long as we fill out the paperwork, no one should complain. I can't afford a $20 000 stone sheep hunt anytime soon so if there is a way to do it more reasonably, we should be okay.

d6dan
12-14-2010, 06:40 PM
I hope that doesn't happen. I realize that guides need to make money but I am from Ontario and would love to come out west and shoot an elk. I also think that guys from BC, AB etc should be able to come to Ontario and have a crack at the monster whitetails, or a couple of the 40 or so wild turkeys that I have walking in my winter wheat field almost every day. As long as we fill out the paperwork, no one should complain. I can't afford a $20 000 stone sheep hunt anytime soon so if there is a way to do it more reasonably, we should be okay.

Stone sheep are a no go.. Any big game on LEH(Limited Entry Hunting) is out of bounds for the rest of you..Sorry.:icon_frow

anglo-saxon
12-14-2010, 07:31 PM
ahhh, I agree.

I've happened across this scene while goat hunting........the guy from Alberta looked pretty sheepish while caping out his "partners" goat.

That was a b-a-a-a-a-h-h-d play on words!

anglo-saxon
12-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Well, by accident of circumstance the finest fellow I have ever met and a great friend of mine lives in Alberta. He can come and hunt with me any time he likes and if there's the means to do it, all good and well. In which case, I really couldn't give a rodent's posterior what anyone thinks. I've seen plenty of jerks and yahoos with BC plates calling themselves hunters. I'd take this guy over them any day of the week!

What I'm not into seeing is big money skimming then hunting gravy. I have no problems with ordinary Canadians hunting here. Heck, I'd like to hunt bear and cariboo in MB for that matter. It's the over-fed types from south of the border I'm not keen on.

Mr. Friendly
12-23-2010, 01:09 PM
so, I called the MoE and got it from them directly...the answers to my primary concerns. the gist of it is the following:

- resident of BC must get PtC in advance and choose the MU being hunted in.
- visiting family member must purchase license and tags for animals hunted.
- if any animal is bagged, whether they take it out of province or not, the specific royalty must be paid.

now I know the rules. :)

whitespringer
12-23-2010, 01:34 PM

B.S. fear mongering.

jamfarm
12-23-2010, 04:22 PM
so, I called the MoE and got it from them directly...the answers to my primary concerns. the gist of it is the following:

- resident of BC must get PtC in advance and choose the MU being hunted in.
- visiting family member must purchase license and tags for animals hunted.
- if any animal is bagged, whether they take it out of province or not, the specific royalty must be paid.

now I know the rules. :)

Here's another thing with the PtA; the definition of 'accompany'

Accompany - means to remain in the
company of the other person, able to see the
other person without the aid of any device
other than ordinary corrective lenses and able
to communicate by unamplified voice with that
person.

Sounds like babysitting to me. Forget the 'I'll head over this hill and meet you over there'. Nope, you might as well have a rope tied to the person that's accompanying you. That's one of the reasons why I refer to it as the PtA (Pain (in) the Ass) permit.