PDA

View Full Version : Shooting from train tracks??

SteadyGirl
06-08-2006, 06:02 PM
How close can you be to train tracks, before it becomes illegal to take a shot? What about if you had permission? Are railway tracks private property?

CanAm500
06-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Yes railway tracks are private property...I looked in the regs and there doesnt seem to be anything that says you can not shoot from a railway, but they do say: Private property is considered enclosed if:
"there are clearly visible signs prohibiting trespassing posted at each ordinary access point" That was taken from the Trespass Act.

slyfox
06-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Were i hunt chukers around cash creek i shot right on the rail road track and the cnn guys dont care thay tell me were the birds are some times to.

Gateholio
06-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Like most issues similar to this, it mostly comes down to common sense.

Nobody is going to hassle you if you are in the middle of mowehre and shooting near the tracks. You may get problems closer to towns, or if someone was to do something stupid like shoot up railway equipment etc (which I know Steady woudl not do, of course)

I've walked aong tracks whie on my way to hutning areas and the railway guys just wave. I woud have prefered a lft, of course;):p

onlygotagrousesofar
06-08-2006, 09:07 PM
I have to work on and around CN's tracks on occassion. Yes they are private property.
Also, as far as I've been told, it's no guns on the property even in some remote locations where bears may be an issue. Track safety is a priority.

I hope that helps.

T.

lapadat
06-08-2006, 10:25 PM
In the exact same stretch of CN track (fraser valley) that I have used to access some bowhunting areas, I have been both hasseled to "get the hell out of here or you'll get a ticket" and encouraged by "we just saw a buck cross the tracks down there and head up the mountain".

Operator dependant it seems. Offer some beer.

matt

Fred
06-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Up north the Elk are shot at from the tracks many times. Fred

Bigbuckadams
06-09-2006, 06:30 AM
I used to hunt ducks and geese from the tracks near Mara Lake and although I never had any problems with any rail workers, etc. I found out it was considered tresspassing and was decided to stop. If you are in the middle of nowhere and not cutting down a fence, I am sure they would care less, but if you are near any farms, etc. and they are against hunting, you can bet the railway, cops and CO's will get a phone call. ****As a sidenote, farmers/ranchers etc., may make the call due to fear for their livestock due to the careless and stupid actions of previous "hunters", not due to being anti-hunting.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Steady-Don't worry too much about shooting over the train tracks at those rams;) . Just make sure you don't shoot over them while a train is crossing and watch out for those conducters. Don't ask me how I know. Just take my word for it:roll: .

SSS

Salty
06-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Steady, I'm in the ditch of a railway near you :-D