PDA

View Full Version : Rocksteady's Canine Collection

rocksteady
12-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Since I have a thread about Big Game and Kitty Cats, thought I might as well start one about wild canines....Being coyotes and wolves, foxes are not open in my region.....

Went out bright and early about 10:30 this morning :wink:, to one of my favorite productive areas. Highway, train tracks, frozen river and HUGE tracts of brushy, aspen stands.....

Parked the rig, broke over the edge of the bank, coming up onto the tracks, spent a few minutes glassing the river and bank, cause I have surprised quite a few doggies this way...Today, it was the other way around, I glass for a few minutes, walk about another 6 or 7 steps and bingo...coyote sitting there looking at me along the edge of the river to my left...DOH!!!! He starts to move, I lay on the train tracks, by the time things come together he is about 250 yards out, so I try a shot on the move and I miss....:icon_frow

I watch him head around the bend of the river, figure I may as well get set up and see if he is dumb enough to come back to a rabitt distress...

SO I let it rip on my new Primos Double Jackrabbit call.....Laid into it for about 30 seconds or so.....Waited 30 seconds, started a 2nd serenade and another coyote comes beetling out of the bush to my left, near where the first had been sitting and heads right to me.....Up goes the rifle, safety off, x-hairs on the chest...It stops at about 175 yards, alert, head up high trying to see what I was.....SQUEEZE.....Bang....WHAP.....DRT....

75 grain V-Max whistling out of my Savage .243 at over 3700 fps (I estimate, from reloading books) took him in the centre of the chest and that was all she wrote....

Young male, have not weighed him yet, but will.....Made a couple more stands down river but no joy....

Here is a picture, then I will post the link to my youtube channel ,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cGD6Xg73I
as well...No kill shot on video though, still have to make the gun mount for my video camera....

and here is the walk out video....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJfkrUKWMM

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/100_0176.jpg

Steeleco
12-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Damn I've got to get out and try that. Looks like a blast.

lovemywinchester
12-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Great looking coyote. I just picked up a new Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 243. Going out tomorrow to see if i can bag one. New to pred hunting so pretty stoked. I picked up a whimpering female call and have been practicing at home. The neighbors must think I`m torturing a dog over here. Would like to have a few hides for the house. Any tips on skinning these guys?

rocksteady
12-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I just give them to my trapper buddy, who deals with them....

Casagrande
12-11-2010, 05:49 PM
[quote=lovemywinchester;809106]Great looking coyote. I just picked up a new Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 243. Going out tomorrow to see if i can bag one. New to pred hunting so pretty stoked. I picked up a whimpering female call and have been practicing at home. The neighbors must think I`m torturing a dog over here. Would like to have a few hides for the house. Any tips on skinning these guys?[/quote
Your Stoneridge neighbours are going to love that! Mix in a little bow hunting and the socialites will drop you from the dinner circuit.:-D

BromBones
12-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Nicely done.

We did 4 or 5 sets this morning and got skunked. Nothing coming in, nothing answering, which was odd. Usually get pretty good action. Will give it a go in the morning.

Sleep Robber
12-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Looks like a friggin wolf , compared to the wannabe yotes down here in Richmond :wink:

Nice one, keep up the good work !!

lovemywinchester
12-11-2010, 06:33 PM
"Your Stoneridge neighbours are going to love that! Mix in a little bow hunting and the socialites will drop you from the dinner circuit."

Maybe Sarah Mclachlan will let me skin one in her garage. :twisted:

The Hermit
12-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I really liked the ideogram! nice idea and good work!

Stéphane
12-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Damn I've got to get out and try that. Looks like a blast.
I have a friend who owns a farm in Langley/Aldergrove region. He has a "coyote problem". Maybe we could give lend him a hand.

Back to the original post. Nicely done, mate. Are they a pest in your region too?

rocksteady
12-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Are they a pest in your region too?

I would not call them a pest, there is definitely a significant population around here that can be thinned out without fear of putting them on the endangered species list.....

I hunt them for the challenge, they are so smart its frustrating....THe pelts go to a trapper firend, who sends them to auction....

Casagrande
12-11-2010, 07:01 PM
"Your Stoneridge neighbours are going to love that! Mix in a little bow hunting and the socialites will drop you from the dinner circuit."

Maybe Sarah Mclachlan will let me skin one in her garage. :twisted:
maybe you could "skin" her!:twisted:

LukaTisus
12-11-2010, 07:19 PM
I was gonna spend the last couple days focusing on some canines (mostly wolves). Ended up coming down with one hell of a nasty cold/flu though ): Bummed I didn't get to go out, but that's the way it goes, eh?

hunter1947
12-12-2010, 04:48 AM
Mike well done on the yotes hunt you nice shooting congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

rocksteady
12-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Went out this morning..Little brisk:confused: -20 luckily very little wind...

Went to my sucessful stand from last week, no luck, so went to stand #2, parked my truck, walked 40 or so metres over to the edge of the river bank, snuck under the high water mark and sat down....Glassed a whole bunch of territory up river (gentle breeze blowing down river), could not really see too far down river , as I was tucked in to the bank....

Grabbed a different hand call, not sure which brand it is, gave a 30 second mellow symphony...Waited about 30 seconds, gave a 30 second louder one....

Just as I took the call out of my mouth, here comes this coyote sneeking in on me from down river, maybe 50 yards away....I had my gun laying beside me:confused: Should have had it in my lap....Coyote keeps trotting along, trying to figure out where dinner is, finally I got my hand on my gun and barked, it stopped, I flung up the rifle, found nothing but hair in the scope and pulled the trigger...MISS....Scope was on 9X and the yote was only 20 yards.....

Coyote takes off back where it came, so at about 40 yards I let fly another, think I took some fur off the lefft side, as it veered right and starts heading straight away.....Now when its about 60 yards out, I can finally use 9X properly and touch one off.....

Coyote goes down and skids for over 15 metres on the smooth ice....First time I have ever had that happen....

I wander over and the shot was a JFK'er, backside of the nugget with the upper left hemisphere...GONE.....Small female....#2 for the year....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f47Rxagtrjk The setup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpmPQqdx5xE The skid mark...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/100_0198.jpg