PDA

View Full Version : Hunting partner issues

AT&T
12-11-2010, 08:04 AM
In my opinion it is hard to find a good steady hunting partner that knows his stuff. Wont blab about where you hunt. Wont try and bring some buddies etc. Any experiences.

hunter1947
12-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I would say its up to the person to take others into the place you hunt the person that found the area first its up to him who he wants to come into your area.

If you both found an area when you and your partner where out and you both decided to keep it to your selfs then so be it should do..

500grhollowpoint
12-11-2010, 08:46 AM
I only have ever had one partner... and he is.... an asshat for lack of a better term. I don't claim to be Mr high and mighty but this guy crosses the line all the time. I hunted with him the first couple years, he is a good friend, but I won't go with him now. I take my boys, 9 and 10, with me now.

swampthing
12-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Good hunting partners are very hard to find. I like to share a camp but I generally hunt alone. This gives you complete freedom to make the choices you feel are right. I have a few guys I like to hunt with, but even then, we usually split up to cover more area. The worst experience I had was on a moose hunt. I made a stalk on a bull with another guy I was sharing a camp with. We got close and I said stay here while I make my final stalk. As I closed the distance, the moose spooked. The other guy had stalked him as well, and did it wrong, spooking him. I believe he would have shot that bull that I had spotted 3hours earlier, if he had the chance. That is not what you want a partner to do. Never shoot at an animal that another person is hunting unless asked to do so. On a bear hunt long ago, with a guy I thought to be a good partner, I was lined up and ready to shoot. The other guy said I will back you. I looked over and he was aiming at the bear. I pulled back and said no, I dont need "backing". There was a moment of tension. That is not what hunting is about. Good partners are hard to find.

savagecanuck
12-11-2010, 08:58 AM
My hunting partner was my big bro for the last 27 yrs but he moved to Mexico 3 yrs ago.I now hunt with my sons or by myself.Ocassionally a family friend,but I will not take him to my honey holes

BromBones
12-11-2010, 09:01 AM
To actually find a good hunting partner out of the blue is shithouse luck IMO, which is kind of sad as all a guy really needs is a good work ethic, good attitude, and some knowledge or be willing to learn, to make a good hunting partner.

I've been hunting since I was a youngster with my dad and brother, as well as a couple other relates, for about 20 years now. Was lucky enough to be raised in a hunting family so I don't have to worry about it.

AT&T
12-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Always best to hunt with family for sure. My case is a bit different cause I live where I hunt. Sometimes leaving the house on foot or a short 15 minute drive. I have my own bad experiences and heard too many stories about trust being betrayed. Sharing a fav hunting spot with someone is a big thing. I used to say sure come on up and I we can go hunting, just dont bring a freind and blab about where we were. All sounds simple. Just doesnt work that way. Nothing like going back to one of your old haunts to find 5 guys heading out. Anyone else had this happen.

timberhunter
12-11-2010, 09:04 AM
I've been lucky over the years. Hunted with a few guys who hunted the same way I like to hunt. And there has never been any issues.

My main hunting partner (bearbait) and I have hunted together since we were ten years old. We are both 38 now. Many miles. Too many mountain tops to count. More animals than either of us can remember harvested. Good trips and trips that ended not so good.

We can count on each other through every situation that arises. We can both start climbing a hill going in totally different directions, and still meet up on the hill in some unexpected spot. Its kinda weird.

We live a long ways from each other now. And won't be able to hunt together as much. But there are lots of trips left in our hunting careers.

Good hunting partners are out there. You just have to find them. Or maybe I just got lucky.

Jonas111
12-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Finding a good hunting partner is like finding a good wife. They are out there but you definitely need to find the right partner.

Im pretty lucky, i was raised in a huge hunting family so I have two brothers i can hunt with at anytime. They will always help me drag animals out of the bush. I have also met a bunch of new friends through taking up archery that are hardcore hunters. My options have opened up.

I still enjoy going by myself because i need to learn more about hunting in BC. I would hate to hinder anyone else's hunt.

I am learning a fair bit off this website that's been very helpful, once you filter through the bad advice and choose who you don't mind listening too. There is some super intelligent hunters here.

Slee
12-11-2010, 10:04 AM
How can it be that hard to find a good one??? If you read half the threads/posts on HBC forum, 95% of the guys on here are top shelf guys! Ethical, hard working, keep their mouth shut, do the right thing always kinda guys. just read that "hunting mistake, ...." thread :roll:

dog812
12-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I just got into hunting this year. I have wanted to go by myself hunting , strictly cause my one buddy i go with is always busy it seems.
But i do not feel confident going by myself yet.. hopefully next year i ll get out there more.
sadly this year my mulie tag will go to waste.

blacktail_junkie
12-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Definitely harder finding a good hunting partner then a good wife. I've gone through 4 hunting partners and only 1 wife. haha.

Sticking by yourself for deer is all good but I would much rather have a good hunting partner for some bigger game trips. Someone to split the cost, the meat, and the work!!

Jetboater
12-11-2010, 03:43 PM
I only hunt with family....

Bistchen
12-11-2010, 03:44 PM
My hunting partner is an alcoholic, so I usually end up hunting solo.

pnbrock
12-11-2010, 03:54 PM
bistchen i think ive hunted with him.

Old Crow
12-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I hate people..People hate me.Makes my descision pretty easy

Gateholio
12-11-2010, 04:05 PM
You and your hunting partner need to be able to laugh your ass off all the time, and pose for goofy pictures.:-D

3 guys that always keep me rolling on the ground laughing my ass off:mrgreen:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v216/146/116/556330879/n556330879_1150732_5143.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v356/111/96/526315515/n526315515_1883102_4896.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v154/111/96/526315515/n526315515_640369_7836.jpg

Husq
12-11-2010, 05:18 PM
How can it be that hard to find a good one??? If you read half the threads/posts on HBC forum, 95% of the guys on here are top shelf guys! Ethical, hard working, keep their mouth shut, do the right thing always kinda guys. just read that "hunting mistake, ...." thread :roll:

lol, our ego's are our folly

Nait Hadya
12-11-2010, 06:07 PM
he's never late, always ready to go at a moments notice, never babbles on and on, is always in top condition,doesn't mess with the ladies,doesn't snore all the way home,likes muddy waters not rap,will sleep under a tree if necessary,doesn't take anything personal,ever.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/NaitHadya/P1030294.jpg

frenchbar
12-11-2010, 06:11 PM

hahahahaha...:mrgreen: good 1.

AT&T
12-11-2010, 06:11 PM
lol, our ego's are our folly
Ya I know I posted it.

The Hermit
12-11-2010, 06:36 PM
I guess I've been pretty lucky. I have a great bunch of guys that I have hunted with and include a few in no particular order from HBC. J_T and family, Onesock and family, Iwishiknew, Coyote, Franko Manini, Firstlight, 00Buck, Rainy and family, Hunter1947, Spy, Ron C, TikaTac, and last but not least TrapperDan to whom a bunch of us owe thanks for inviting onto his private reserve over the past three weeks or so!

Looking at that list gives me pause... does this make me a slut? LOL

Jelvis
12-11-2010, 06:43 PM
There are no perfect partners out there, I can't find one anyways. Someone with lots of extra money and a comfortable newer four wheel drive and a great stereo that fits my cd's. Gases up her truck the night before she comes to my place to get me. Stops and grabs me a double double hot mocha from Timmy's along with a jelly donut or two.
Takes me where I want to go, when I want, and helps do all the chores dragging my buck out and taking it in to make specialty meats at the best deli in town and pays for it in full at the counter.
Jel .. So far it's been impossible but hey, close enough to perfect for me.
.. Also must be a double jointed super model whose mom owns a chain of distilleries ..

Sleep Robber
12-11-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm still kinda lost on this one . My father was my partner, but sad to say, he drowned on his last commercial fishing trip, one week before his retirement. Only 6 more frikken days and he would have been home for our annual moose and deer hunt. :cry:

Needless to say, after the funeral, I wanted to stay home , but my wife kicked me out the door and said my ol man would come back and kick my ass if I didn't continue on. So off I went........ alone.

I shot the biggest moose of my life that year, and as I shed a tear over that moose, I knew he still was,,,,,,,, and always will,,,,,,,,,, be there.

I've hunted alone for the last few years since then, and still find it hard to wanna go with anyone else, picky I guess. I think I need to find someone sooner or later though, but who ever it is, their gonna need some pretty big boots, to fill my dads.

Bistchen
12-11-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm still kinda lost on this one . My father was my partner, but sad to say, he drowned on his last commercial fishing trip, one week before his retirement. Only 6 more frikken days and he would have been home for our annual moose and deer hunt. :cry:

Needless to say, after the funeral, I wanted to stay home , but my wife kicked me out the door and said my ol man would come back and kick my ass if I didn't continue on. So off I went........ alone.

I shot the biggest moose of my life that year, and as I shed a tear over that moose, I knew he still was,,,,,,,, and always will,,,,,,,,,, be there.

I've hunted alone for the last few years since then, and still find it hard to wanna go with anyone else, picky I guess. I think I need to find someone sooner or later though, but who ever it is, their gonna need some pretty big boots, to fill my dads.

IM sorry to hear. My Dad retired from hunting before I started, so I dont know what its like. BUt im sure any Dad makes the best partner. Journeyman/apprentice type thing. You learn from your Father/hunting mentor, and become like him so it seems to be a good combo.

takla1
12-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Ive mostly hunted with Mom and dad the last 20 yrs,before that my granddad.Then when the kids can along my two boys ,but thier in thier late teens and early twenties and seem to have better things to do,chaseing girls!!Although my younger son got 2 deer this yr with me.But my best hunting partner has now moved back to toronto.I met him thru work and all the other guys there told me not to take him along,drank too much,crazy,does stupid shit,ect,ect,ect,but i took him along anyway one yr moose hunting and we bonded as hunting partners,took lots of game and explored many ridgelines and swamps together.Would trust him with my life and we'd both give the shirt off our own backs for one another.

silvicon
12-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Approx. 20 years ago I hunted a few times with a guy, it worked out so-so. Then I found my first Spaniel and that lasted for 15 years.
Best hunting partner a man can find.

Yak
12-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Guess Ive been luckier than most, I have a great group of guys I hunt with here on the island. Weve also done a few week long trips to the mainland now too, no complaints other than a lack of draws...

I started with the old man as a kid, then had a great bunch of friends in university to hunt and fish with and since coming to the island I mostly hunt with other members of the volunteer fire department Im with.

I can think of a few bad experiences in the past but I just didnt continue hunting with those types.

Maybe Ive been just lucky but Ive never had a problem finding good guys to hunt with.

Yak

TheProvider
12-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Great hunting buddies are like 150" blacktails. There out there, you just gotta put in alot of work to find them and occasionally settle for 115" one hahaha Stay away from the spikes though. They'll give away all your hunting spots, invite all their friends, and always wanna sleep in :D

olharley guy
12-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Howdy, I will tell you a story about one of the best fellows that I ever hunted with that turned a 180 after 12 years of extremely enjoyable times in the wilderness.

I got to know him when I bought my first airplane from him - a year later he moved to the same small town that we lived in - in the Yukon.

He had great experience in hunting everything-#4 or #5 bighorn sheep and others, numerous 60+ inch moose, large caribou, deer-hunted in Africa, Mongolia etc.

A great all aound guy, full of jokes, lots of funny wise cracks, hard working around a camp, pack anything out with the trapper nelson, not afraid to climb any mountain going after sheep.

We went on numerous sheep hunts by plane and horseback and never came home empty handed.

We would make plans for a certain week (usually 2 or 3 times during a season) and he was ready to go.

A #1 hunting partner-he was one of 2 people I would let shoot wolves from the supercub-that's how much I trusted him!

About 12 years later after one of the sheep trips a mountie friend of mine came by the house and started asking questions about buddy and whether he ever said anything weird about kids when we were hunting.(I will not go further with this part)

I said never! and when all was said and done and I conned the reason for questioning from the mountie-who was another part time hunting partner-I could not bring myself to go hunting with him again-I always found a good excuse why I could not go-2 years later he moved to a different province and has since passed away.

For a long time I was annoyed and sad about this as he was an excellent hunting partner and we had some great times together.

I am not stupid but I had no inclination whatsoever of what he was being accused of!

Since then I usually go out by myself-the wife comes if we are road hunting.

I look at some of the old photos and still dream of the good times we used to have in the mountains-and still wonder how something like this could have happened?

Maybe when I move to the Cariboo this spring I will meet a new hunting partner.

Thanks for listening-I have not mentioned this story to very many people. Later

mark
12-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Howdy, I will tell you a story about one of the best fellows that I ever hunted with that turned a 180 after 12 years of extremely enjoyable times in the wilderness.

I got to know him when I bought my first airplane from him - a year later he moved to the same small town that we lived in - in the Yukon.

He had great experience in hunting everything-#4 or #5 bighorn sheep and others, numerous 60+ inch moose, large caribou, deer-hunted in Africa, Mongolia etc.

A great all aound guy, full of jokes, lots of funny wise cracks, hard working around a camp, pack anything out with the trapper nelson, not afraid to climb any mountain going after sheep.

We went on numerous sheep hunts by plane and horseback and never came home empty handed.

We would make plans for a certain week (usually 2 or 3 times during a season) and he was ready to go.

A #1 hunting partner-he was one of 2 people I would let shoot wolves from the supercub-that's how much I trusted him!

About 12 years later after one of the sheep trips a mountie friend of mine came by the house and started asking questions about buddy and whether he ever said anything weird about kids when we were hunting.(I will not go further with this part)

I said never! and when all was said and done and I conned the reason for questioning from the mountie-who was another part time hunting partner-I could not bring myself to go hunting with him again-I always found a good excuse why I could not go-2 years later he moved to a different province and has since passed away.

For a long time I was annoyed and sad about this as he was an excellent hunting partner and we had some great times together.

I am not stupid but I had no inclination whatsoever of what he was being accused of!

Since then I usually go out by myself-the wife comes if we are road hunting.

I look at some of the old photos and still dream of the good times we used to have in the mountains-and still wonder how something like this could have happened?

Maybe when I move to the Cariboo this spring I will meet a new hunting partner.

Thanks for listening-I have not mentioned this story to very many people. Later

Wow, if im reading between the lines right, thats a pretty sad ending to the story!

Good hunting buddies are indeed hard to come by, Ive had many over the years, some come an go, some have died on me :icon_frow.

Thats life, we move on, meet new people, and keep hunting! :-D

wlbc
12-11-2010, 09:35 PM
I've been fortunate for the most part. I have not had many hunting partners over the years, a small stable group for the most part.

When I/we run across the wrong behaviours that is a one time hunt with that person. Life is too short.

bridger
12-11-2010, 09:42 PM
i have been lucky jon and i have been hunting pards for 42 years. never a disagreement.

wildcatter
12-11-2010, 09:46 PM
I've had a good partner and we hunted together many years, the kind of guy who would give you the shirt off his back.
Then one day we went our separate ways over an arguement, it's been about 10 years.
There are a couple guys I hunt with here and there but don't have a real good permanent partner, so I go alone often.

kodimack
12-11-2010, 10:06 PM
My partner of the last 10 years has decided to hunt with his boys now that they are old enough, thats great for them sucks for me I'm looking for a new partner now . I have my own gear , pull my own weight, don't wine, like to have a beer and a laugh(not a drunk) like to cook and kill moose.
pm me if interested

dougan
12-11-2010, 11:28 PM
That is why i had kids!!!!!! cant drive none of there freinds give a crap about hunting ive got it made!!!

Gateholio
12-12-2010, 12:31 AM
I don't know why some guys put up with some hunting partners. I've heard so many stories about how some guy has made life miserable for everyone in camp, but then they are back out at it next year together...

Everyone has their quirks and their bad days and I'm no exception, but when someone:

Has no regard for the rest of the hunting party, gets annoyed when someone else shoots a "big" animal, won't pitch in to help recover someone elses animal, has angry outbursts, drinks all the beer, doesn't pitch in to set up/break down camp or get firewood or whatever.....STOP HUNTING WITH THEM!!
:-D

hunter1947
12-12-2010, 03:33 AM
If a so called friend comes into hunt with me and a few of my other hunting partners ,if he or she does not help out with the requirements that are needed in our camp it would be the last year they would be invited back to hunt with our party..

gwillim
12-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Sounds to me like this web site needs a "personals" section...

SWM seeks hunting partner for long term committed relationship. Will share camp costs, and split game equally. Non-smoking, Shoots 30.06...etc etc...

frenchbar
12-12-2010, 11:14 AM
You and your hunting partner need to be able to laugh your ass off all the time, and pose for goofy pictures.:-D

3 guys that always keep me rolling on the ground laughing my ass off:mrgreen:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v216/146/116/556330879/n556330879_1150732_5143.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v356/111/96/526315515/n526315515_1883102_4896.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v154/111/96/526315515/n526315515_640369_7836.jpg
gatehouse has it right good laughs and funnin around = good hunts weither something hits the ground or not . ive hunted withpretty much the same guy for the last 20 yrs and we always have a good time with lots of good humour .

Yotapup
12-12-2010, 05:30 PM
I just got started hunting this year, and my cousin was my hunting partner for majority of the year, and lets just say, by the end of our last trip I was about ready to strangle him. Besides his arrogance and piss poor attitude towards me, he generally expects everything to land on his plate. When he goes with our other cousin he expects to be brought right too the animal. When him and I go out, I do what ever I can to research the animal we're hunting, and the area we go in too. EI: Our trip to boston bar earlier this season, I asked around good places, did some research and the general idea was to go high because the snow hadn't really pushed anything down yet. His idea... Water, there gonna be around water, deer need to drink, there's a pond/lake/creek/swamp, thats where there gonna be. Why would they be high? There's no water there. Finally we went into town that night for a bite to eat, met a gentleman who gave us some great tips (can't thank him enough) and basically backed up what I had researched. We took his advice the next day, though we didn't find anything, we spoke to some men cutting firewood and at the second they mention black tails down near the river (we were hunting mulies) he forgot everything and was back on the water train. He doesn't grasp the concept of glassing an area. We'll find one, he'll get out, look it over with the naked eye for MAYBE 5 mins, glass if if thinks he sees something, then move on.

It's sad because we're generally had a good friendship growing up, but now he does nothing but belittle me as I've lived life a little harder (I've made a few poor choices, nothing that concerns law) and does nothing to consider that I am now head above water once again, yet he was born set for life.

On the other hand, I met an awesome hunting partner from here. From the start, our first trip out we hit it off really well, and when we found our bear we both had the same instinct and took us home a nice animal.

dime
12-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Finding a good hunting partner is like finding a good wife. They are out there but you definitely need to find the right partner.

This is true, you have to pound a lot of bush for years to find the right one in both cases. Ha Ha.

Seriously though, good partners are worth their weight in gold. I hunt with three brothers who were all raised in the same household and they could not be more different from one another. Two of the brothers are great hunting partners, always ready to help out in camp, stay up all night working on skinning game, pay an equal share and are generous to a fault. The third brother is the laziest, most boorish waste of skin you have ever met. He sits around camp smoking cigarettes while the rest of us are cutting wood, doing dishes, cooking and doing everything that needs to be done. He never spends a penny and drinks everyones beer. One time in camp I had finally had enough of trying to hint that he should help out so I asked him to give me a hand with something, he has the gall to say just a minute I was just about to have a smoke and lights one up. What a dick.

The Dawg
12-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Ive got two-and a half of the best hunting partners that I could ask for.

We always split costs, no questions asked or has there ever been any doubt if an animal is going to be shared.

Theres great conversation, laughs, stories and BS flying at all times.
We always manage to make time to help recover an animal in the bush, or even to help butcher.

Never a doubt if they would have my back in any situation, whether or not it be a charging grizzly or even a video that some might be offended by ;)

Its also been quite the sight to watch Mini-moosin grow up for the last few years as well.

From dry-heaving when we split open the deer, to ducking the 'flying beanbag' from the moose, he's been right in there with us.
Remember buddy, dont go 'over the line' !! :mrgreen:

A definate hooked for life hunter in the making.

Brett and Mike (Moosinaround- and Mini-moosin!), Cheers!

Bowzone_Mikey
12-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I dont have any hunting partners per say ..... By that I mean there is no-one that I am exclusively hunting with .... Maybe I am a hunting slut .... But the few people that I go with from Time to time I trust with my life and thats the way it should be ...Couple members of this board I have hunted with and will do so at anytime as they are stand up people and great to be around.

wolverine
12-14-2010, 02:14 PM
You're right. It's hard to find someone like that unless you have known them for a long time. I am fortunate that my hunting partner is a lifelong friend from childhood. We think alike and share everything. It doesn't matter to us who takes the first shot and how big the animal is. See, to us the hunting is a great bonus and just another reason to spend some time together out doing what we love. So if you're fortunate enough to have someone like that for a partner you hang on to them. Pretty hard to replace .... and it wouldn't be the same anyway.

OutWest
12-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Our hunting group usually consists of Myself, a friend of mine, my Dad and two of his friends which he has hunted many years with. We work well together and enjoy each others company.

I have a number of friends my age who hunt but I choose not to go with them. They're good friends away from hunting but they have contrasting hunting styles/attitudes/ethics than I do and I won't waste my time in the bush with them.

I agree good hunting partners can be very hard to find but don't waste your time hunting with people who will only hinder your enjoyment of the outdoors. There are many great guys on this site alone and a good partner will come along at some point.

anglo-saxon
12-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I hunted with a guy for two years. He originally came across as a decent guy, but his true colours quickly come through when things are not going his way. Plus he is quick-tempered, foul-mouthed (even in front of his wife and kids...I'm no prude, but I can't stand that). The final straw was when he let his guard slip and his unethical side came out in spades. I will not hunt with an unethical hunter. To me, it's not about getting the animal at all costs. Plus the example he was setting his teenage son was an embarrassment to behold. I cut the hunt short by two days and got the the hell out of there. It certainly does pay to pick hunting partners carefully. I would rather hunt alone, even with the inherant risks, than hunt with someone like that guy again.

My only hunting partner is now my 18 y/o son and that works just fine for me. I don't think I'd ever bother hunting with anyone else again. We had a great time up at Sayward when we got our bear in Nov.

Jelvis
12-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Partners are hard to find for a day hunt hiking around the slopes all day, and being without a decent back road vehicle it's hard to set times, hunting is getting expensive and the old timers are getting thinned out now.
Jel ( Few and far between now) Still great hunting in BC for anyone willing to get out.

Stéphane
12-14-2010, 08:14 PM
I hunt and hike by myself, mostly because I like to do my own things. I hate to bother people and I have odd times to hit the woods.
Having said that, I am brand new in the hunting world, so I'll work my way to a partner at some point.

I was talking to one of my students' parents and he told me that one of the hunting rule is never to hunt alone. Anyone else follow this motto?

Jelvis
12-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Hunting alone is fun, do day hunts or a local area for a night in between, but take a partner when in new distant area.
Jelly ( Be safe go slow ) Have fun and a good time is what is important

Schutzen
12-14-2010, 10:00 PM
My tale of hunting partner woe. LOL
My last pard was single for quite a while.
We got along fantastic and he was in every plan outdoors wise I dreamt up. We were best friends as well for 20 yrs.
Now the thing was I provided the gear pretty much from Truck, camper, tent , etc. He just basically showed up altho we did often use his ute trailer.
When we 1st met he had just a rudimentary idea of hunting and had only hunted a bit on the Island. So I took him under my wing and showed him the ropes as best I could. We went on many trips together.
Anyways a few years ago he found himself a women. Went totally hedoverass for her.
The part that sucks, I got dumped. By that I mean he completely changed to satisfy her and in the bargain quit doing pretty well everything with me.
Now we occasionally talk on the phone, once in a while we do coffee or lunch. But not if she's around or with her included.
It was a real shock to me and hit me very hard.
I actually realized later that I grieved as if he had died.
So in the last ten years I lost my two hunting pards. My brother being the other one, and he passed away to the big Hunting lodge in 03 @ 60 just months shy of retirement.
So I guess I've been in kind of a state of Limbo since. Don't hardly get out now.
Aw well stuff happens.:?

Jelvis
12-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Your done stick a fork into you Shut sin, haha no buddy it's no go, might as well hang em up.
Jelly ( Shut Up! ) lol ...

doubled
12-14-2010, 10:41 PM
I hunt and hike by myself, mostly because I like to do my own things. I hate to bother people and I have odd times to hit the woods.
Having said that, I am brand new in the hunting world, so I'll work my way to a partner at some point.

I was talking to one of my students' parents and he told me that one of the hunting rule is never to hunt alone. Anyone else follow this motto?

I probably hunt alone half the time BUT I always tell somebody where I am going and approximately when I will be back.

Jelvis
12-14-2010, 10:54 PM
If you get out by yourself, you could enjoy hunting at your pace and not worry about a partner. Walk quiet and slow, stop, look and listen.
Jel ( Stop Look Listen )

hunter1947
12-15-2010, 05:17 AM
If you get out by yourself, you could enjoy hunting at your pace and not worry about a partner. Walk quiet and slow, stop, look and listen.
Jel ( Stop Look Listen )

Jelvis I like hunting alone lots of times but then I also like hunting with someone else ,50 ,50 works well for me http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

steve62
12-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I hunt alone 95% of the time the other 5 I take the wife. But as I am getting older it is a hell of alot harder to pack out that Moose. I have been thinking it might be time to start looking for someone to share the work. Funny I think I can still do it......

MattW
12-15-2010, 01:34 PM
I've been blessed to have a number of excellent hunting partners. My main buddy used to hunt with my Dad, Dad quit hunting when I was a little guy (too many kids and farms) and once I was old enough to get a hunting license I went with buddy. He has taught me a lot about hunting and we've had many excellent trips. Everyone always shares in the work and the meat and work together to have a succesful hunt. We have the same ideas on ethics and how to hunt so it's good. The other buddy is my Uncle and we share a similar relationship. There are a few other excellent guys that come with from time to time and I don't make every hunt either but in our group I think everyone gets along well and we have no trouble makers or alcaholics. While I've never had a bad hunting partner my buddy has had one and it sounded pretty bad to be out in the bush with an armed and seriously disagreeable man.

knighthunter
12-15-2010, 02:02 PM
I started out hunting with a partner, we hunted and hung out together for about 10 years until he just about shot me in the head over total carelessness. Then I hunted alone for about 25 years, other than I moose hunted with a cousin for 10 years. But always was alone for deer. Then this past fall I hunted with 2 new to me deer hunters. 1 was a disaster and 1 was great.