PDA

View Full Version : Nubuck leather waterproofing...

lineofsight
12-11-2010, 12:15 AM
What works?

First set of nubuck boots... suspect it may be different than mink oil & snow seal / bees wax.

Devilbear
12-11-2010, 01:05 AM
NUbuck is leather with flaws that is sanded to remove the tight-pored outer "skin" which shows these marks; this is to utilize hides that would not be acceptable in the traditional "full grain" boots of 30 years ago. This process weakens the leather and lessens it's inherent water resistance, it is commonplace now, even among once-great makers such as Hanwag, Lowa and Meindl.

I have some boots of this and the best goop is "Obenauf's Heavyduty LP" which is a beeswax based product from Idaho and the best water proofing I have ever used on leather and I have tried many.

Google it and order direct, it is good stuff.

Spokerider
12-11-2010, 10:20 AM
NUbuck is leather with flaws that is sanded to remove the tight-pored outer "skin" which shows these marks; this is to utilize hides that would not be acceptable in the traditional "full grain" boots of 30 years ago. This process weakens the leather and lessens it's inherent water resistance, it is commonplace now, even among once-great makers such as Hanwag, Lowa and Meindl.

I have some boots of this and the best goop is "Obenauf's Heavyduty LP" which is a beeswax based product from Idaho and the best water proofing I have ever used on leather and I have tried many.

Google it and order direct, it is good stuff.

Devilbear,
I use the meindl boot wax, and like it as it does not soften the leather. Never tried obenauf`s however.

Do you know what the ingredients in either obenauf`s or meindl`s boot wax are? It is bees wax and ?? Bees wax is THE main ingredient for sure.

I`ve tried making my own boot wax to match that of meindl, but have yet to figure out the combination of ingredients. I`ve tried using bees wax, lanolin, and turpentine in varying amounts, but it`s not quite the same. It`s the solvent that meindl uses that I`ve not been able to figure out, to get the same smell and creamy consitancy as meindl. Lanolin is not right either, as it soaks into leather rather than coats the surface. Ditto for mink oil and pretty much any other oil.

Thoughts?

Yup, I hate paying 12.00 for a few grams of meindl boot wax, as I use alot of it, treating the boots after just two hikes in sloppy conditions.

bigwhiteys
12-11-2010, 12:32 PM
I've been using Obenhaufs for a few years now it's excellent stuff, and smells good too.

They don't really tell you what the ingredients are other than...

"Natural oils are suspended in a Beeswax/Propolis formula. In the leather, these oils gradually seep out of the Beeswax/Propolis as a time release lubrication that restores fibers. If exposed to heat or constant flexing, the oils are released faster; so instead of getting parched, your leather gets oiled when and where it needs it most."

It is expensive stuff however at about $21.00 after shipping to Canada.

Carl

mark
12-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Devilbear,
I use the meindl boot wax, and like it as it does not soften the leather. Never tried obenauf`s however.

Do you know what the ingredients in either obenauf`s or meindl`s boot wax are? It is bees wax and ?? Bees wax is THE main ingredient for sure.

I`ve tried making my own boot wax to match that of meindl, but have yet to figure out the combination of ingredients. I`ve tried using bees wax, lanolin, and turpentine in varying amounts, but it`s not quite the same. It`s the solvent that meindl uses that I`ve not been able to figure out, to get the same smell and creamy consitancy as meindl. Lanolin is not right either, as it soaks into leather rather than coats the surface. Ditto for mink oil and pretty much any other oil.

Thoughts?

Yup, I hate paying 12.00 for a few grams of meindl boot wax, as I use alot of it, treating the boots after just two hikes in sloppy conditions.

Smear all the meindle wax you want on meindle boots....it does no good! Ive smeared 2 or 3 cans of that stuff on the boots, wet feet after a couple hours at best! :cry:

BromBones
12-11-2010, 06:58 PM
My AKUs are Nubuck. I've been douche'n them with bear fat since new, and the leather is still excellent after 3 hard seasons. Never had wet feet.

Devilbear
12-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I do not know what the ingredients of Meindl boot treatment are and no longer buy Meindl boots.

Do not put turpentine on leather, mink oil is not much use and lanolin will soften and weaken leather. Obenauf's is beeswax and propolis and I suspect the method of mixture has to do with it's effectiveness.

You need to learn how to treat your boots and merely smearing any wax-based treatment on a boot will do little to make it water resistant; there is no such thing as a waterproof leather boot, period.

Obenauf's gives very simple and clear instructions for treating boots and what I have done for decades is much like they suggest. This stuff really works and is worth the cost, however, you need to use it correctly and frequenly for the benefits to become apparent. HTH.

lineofsight
12-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Thus Obenauf's Heavyduty LP, Meindle wax and bear fat are the contenders for Nubuck - any others? Anyone use Aqua Seal or Nikiwax?

Think turpentine is used mostly to thin the solution for application and apply a shine but it may also damage fibers so would no use it.

Generally I soak saddle soap/conditioner/mink oil into full grain leather and usually coat with beeswax type product. Think the critique of this approach is it may discolour Nubuck but am unconcerned by that so may just try it while waiting for Obenauf to arrive.

Devilbear
12-13-2010, 08:48 AM
I would just wait and use the Obenauf's as per their instructions; you need to get it into the leather and using other products first can prevent this. If, you get it and soak it in as you should, it will work as they claim it does and not soften your boots.

KevinB
12-13-2010, 06:37 PM
I have a pair of Lowa boots in nubuck and after reading all of Devilbear's posts on Obenaufs, bought and used it on these boots. I put it on from new, this September, when I could sit the boots outside in the sun to get warm, and they really soaked the Obenauf's up. I haven't reapplied any more since and I've hunted in these boots all fall. Never had wet feet except when water or snow has come in from the top. I went for a 1-1/2 hour hike in 6 inches of slushy snow yesterday and the leather was dry to the touch at the end of it.

Great stuff, worth every penny. Really who cares what it costs, you'll spend more on gas in one day driving to your hunting spot.