PDA

View Full Version : newbie for cross bow hunt and need some info

city hunter
12-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi There I would like to buy a cross bow and go for bear/ deer hunt next year but no idea what kind of cross bow is good for newbie ? any suggestion would be appreciated,thanks !!!

Jonas111
12-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Excalibur crossbows.

Hardcore Archery in Kelowna sell a ton of them. Give them a call, they are sponsors on this website.

12-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Ten point put out a first class crossbow http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/

Actually most of the top end producers make a good product, depends on what you like and how deep your pockets are:wink:

Mountaintop
12-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I am about as much of a newbie as you can get. Before this season I had never hunted before but wanted to try. I was going to hunt my own land but am surrounded by vegetarians so did not want to use a gun. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of bow hunters using both horizontal and vertical bows and I settled on a crossbow due to a shoulder problem from years ago. Plus, since I was pretty good with a rifle I thought the transition would be easier for me.

Since I was not a bow techie I thought that simpler would be better which led me to a recurve over a compound crossbow. A recurve, like the Excalibur, has the advantage of an easy string change in the field if necessary. On the other hand the recurve is wider than a compound so I expect is somewhat more difficult to carry or use in tight areas. For me that was not an issue and last summer I bought an Excalibur Exocet 200 and I am very happy with my choice.

I have no experience with using the Ten Point or others but those that own an Excalibur will tell you that they are extremely rugged, highly accurate and have maybe the best customer service in the industry. They are also made in Canada. They claim that any of the hunting bows in their line can take down any big game in North America so don’t let arrow speed be your main criteria. With a little practice it is not unusual for you to hit the same hole in your target. I can tell you that while it did take a summer of practice to get good enough to hunt I did tag out this season. It is also the only crossbow I think I will ever need.

Like 416 says, all the top manufacturers provide a good product. Any good crossbow you buy will cost you some serious coin so I would suggest that you go to a dealer and try and look at least a few brands. If you can look at them side by side that would be best and if you can shot them a few times so much the better. If you lean toward an Excalibur go with the Right Stuff package. It will have everything you need to start hunting and is a lot less money than buying the stuff separately. I am starting to sound like a sales rep but the Excalibur web site is http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com.

Rodngun
12-11-2010, 12:49 PM
I say go in to the store feel everything that's 150 or higher pounds. Decide what fits for you, what stock you like/pistol grip/thumb whole stock etc. Lots of versatility their. Im not picky, went in bought a 150lb Horton hd summit, at the time anything Excalibur was over 1000$ at my local shops, I see they have a lot of great products for the 700$ range now. The Horton was the only thing in my price range and it works great, taken 10 bucks with it, and shoot it regularly at 3d targets with my compound.

city hunter
12-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks all you guys

Awishanew
12-11-2010, 06:52 PM
If there is ever a IBEP (International Bowhunters Education Program) in your area take it before you go hunting with a bow. It is very different than going out with a rifle.

Gateholio
12-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Excaliber...they are the crossbow that all others are compared to!

boing-whap
12-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Excal Exocet, buy new, 5 year warranty, I relimbed after four years no questions asked.

Bow Walker
12-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Ya know what? Buy whatever bow looks and feels good to your personal preferences. You will very soon become intimate with your choice and then what you need to do is to practice with it and get very used to it before you go hunting. Get to know it and where/how it shoots. That way you'll be confident when the moment comes.

bhartenb
12-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Hey,

I hunted with an Excaliber for the last 3 years. After 35 years of bowhunting I gotta say that this weapon is awesome. Extremely accurate and devastating hitting power.

You can usually find a package deal that includes the crossbow; scope; quiver and 4 bolts. Make sure they throw in the loader. I spent $1,000. Well worth the price and I agree it's the last bow I'll have to buy.

If you've not bowhunted before I recommend you practise stalking and mock-ambushing deer in the off season. All the shots I take are 20 - 30 yards.

Before you go out next season make sure you shoot at least a 100 times. You to will stack your arrows.

Good luck and welcome to bowhunting.

Bow Walker
12-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Where do you live? What stores are in your area? Go in and handle a couple of crossbows. Buy what feels good in your hands and then take it hime and play with it.

J_T
12-13-2010, 03:23 PM
If there is ever a IBEP (International Bowhunters Education Program) in your area take it before you go hunting with a bow. It is very different than going out with a rifle. here is some good advice. Let's assume all xbows are equal. What sets them apart is the bolt/broadhead and your attitude/knowledge of the equipment.

Xbows are accurate at great distance, but frankly with the weight of the bolt, they don't have good killing power at distance. Yes, I know there are those who can say they have successfully taken game at great distance with a xbow but that simply is not the norm. A good IBEP course will help you understand your equipment and effective range. It's a good additional skill set to take afield as you transition into bowhunting.

300H&H
12-13-2010, 06:07 PM
I have been very happy with my Excalibur.
Out of the box I was shooting a 2" group at 20 yards.
Now its easy to shoot a 2" group at 30 yards.
Easy kill shots out to 50 yards.

Get the "lite Stuff or Right Stuff" package with the Excalibur.
Worth every penny.

HardCore Archery in Kelowna had the best deal and are now sponsors on HBC.

city hunter
12-22-2010, 04:40 PM
I just bought a crossbow (315 FPS ) that came with 3 arrows 20'',I would like to buy more arrows,No idea what's good for deer and bear hunt ??what's the difference between 20'' and 22'' arrows,how about the arrow head ? any help would be appreciated.

J_T
12-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I just bought a crossbow (315 FPS ) that came with 3 arrows 20'',I would like to buy more arrows,No idea what's good for deer and bear hunt ??what's the difference between 20'' and 22'' arrows,how about the arrow head ? any help would be appreciated. For real killing power it isn't all about speed. I would be more concerned about the weight of the bolt. Without much weight you compromise sufficient energy to push a hole through.

Pay attention to the balance of the bolt. Weight should be forward of centre.

In terms of broadheads. Again, don't go cheap. I would try the G5 Montec, or talk to someone that has possibly used them out of a crossbow.

Marc
12-22-2010, 06:27 PM
When I first got my crossbow this spring I was trying to figure out what type of bolt or hunting tip to use. I did a lot of research on this subject by watching videos online, watching their performance and what people said about them in the x-bow hunting forums. I have a x-bow with 225lb pull so I wanted to make sure my bolts had enough spine to handle the force applied to the bolt and a hunting tip that had enough punch for deep penetration and bone crushing to take down a deer or bear if it presented itself. I also read that crossbows like the heavier broadheads like the 150 gr ones I purchased. It helps them fly straight and that added weight at the front of the bolt helps penetrate deeper.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject but I picked up some 20" firbolts with the 150 gr bolt cutter broad heads and took my first animal with it this spring at 16 yards. With the 20 inch bolts it keeps the broadhead close to the limbs so it doesn't get snagged when walking with it caulked.

The bolt went through one side of the bear, punched through the heart, and broke a rib on the way out and passed out the other side of the bear and over to the opposite side of a river never to be seen again. This was a 6 foot bear nose to tail probably in the 250-300 lbs range.

I've only taken the one animal at a fairly close range, I do not know how it will perform out past 25 yards and hopefully I won't have to find out if I play my part. When playing at the range the broad head was still penetrating through the solid foam target at 40 yards. The picture of the broad heads were taken from being fired at a distance of 24 yards.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Fire_bolts_with_bolt_cutter_broadheads.jpg

This setup was quite accurate at 25 yards giving me a 2-3 inch group out to 40.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Bolt_Cutter_Broad_head_in_black_hole_target.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/heart_entry.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/cracked_rib.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Marc_s_first_archery_bear.jpg

city hunter
12-23-2010, 12:50 AM
When I first got my crossbow this spring I was trying to figure out what type of bolt or hunting tip to use. I did a lot of research on this subject by watching videos online, watching their performance and what people said about them in the x-bow hunting forums. I have a x-bow with 225lb pull so I wanted to make sure my bolts had enough spine to handle the force applied to the bolt and a hunting tip that had enough punch for deep penetration and bone crushing to take down a deer or bear if it presented itself. I also read that crossbows like the heavier broadheads like the 150 gr ones I purchased. It helps them fly straight and that added weight at the front of the bolt helps penetrate deeper.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject but I picked up some 20" firbolts with the 150 gr bolt cutter broad heads and took my first animal with it this spring at 16 yards. With the 20 inch bolts it keeps the broadhead close to the limbs so it doesn't get snagged when walking with it caulked.

The bolt went through one side of the bear, punched through the heart, and broke a rib on the way out and passed out the other side of the bear and over to the opposite side of a river never to be seen again. This was a 6 foot bear nose to tail probably in the 250-300 lbs range.

I've only taken the one animal at a fairly close range, I do not know how it will perform out past 25 yards and hopefully I won't have to find out if I play my part. When playing at the range the broad head was still penetrating through the solid foam target at 40 yards. The picture of the broad heads were taken from being fired at a distance of 24 yards.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Fire_bolts_with_bolt_cutter_broadheads.jpg

This setup was quite accurate at 25 yards giving me a 2-3 inch group out to 40.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Bolt_Cutter_Broad_head_in_black_hole_target.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/heart_entry.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/cracked_rib.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Marc_s_first_archery_bear.jpg
Nice job Buddy and thank you so much for your info.

troutseeker
12-23-2010, 12:50 PM
I hunt with an older Excaliber, 165lbs I believe. It is accurate and I would not hesitate to shoot a deer at 50 yards, or even slightly more.

I use carbon bolts and 125 grain Thunderhead broadheads they fly true and are devastating on game.

Whatever you get, spend some time practicing to become proficient. The big advantages of crossbows are ease of use and accuracy. Much easier to become a good shot with one than with a bow! And once your scope is sighted, know your distances and shoot away.