PDA

View Full Version : Trapping??

danfloris
12-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Hello to all the trappers out there. I was wondering if anybody could shoot me a pm on the basics i would need to get a trapping license. I would like to trap in the Fraser valley if i could and im not sure who i need to talk to.

thanks

snareman1234
12-10-2010, 06:00 PM
check out BC trappers association,

should be able to get all you need from there.

BromBones
12-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Indeed check with the BC Trappers Assoc.

In a nutshell, you'll have to do the trappers ed course (3 days), and then you can submit you certificate to the MOE to get your license ($40). To do any trapping you'll need either private land of your own, have permission letters from other landowners to trap on their land, get an assistant trappers license to work with another trapper on his line, or buy a trapline.

Go do it. You'll have fun.

BlacktailStalker
12-10-2010, 06:15 PM
As said, first step is taking the course.
Everything else will be answered there, its a fun course.
Ask your instructor to emphasize on wolves ;)

N-W-Redneck
12-10-2010, 08:05 PM
^^^ What they said. ^^^

I just finished taking the trappers course last weekend in Maple Ridge. I've been helping my father-in-law (who's been trapping for 40+yrs) trap for almost 10yrs and finally went to get my own license so I can take over his line one day. Once you take the course you are certified as a trapper (like having your hunter # card) then you have to buy your trappers license yearly just like a hunting license. Once you have your license you basically have three options on where you can trap: 1) You can buy a trapline either from a current line owner, or an unused line from the MOE. 2) You can get written permission from a trapline owner to trap on his line. 3) You can get written permission from the owner to trap on private property (farms, ranches, etc.) I took the course from Allen Starkey who has been trapping for almost 60yrs. I think he's forgotten more about trapping in the LML area than I'll ever know! He teaches at his house whenever he gets enough people signed up (8 or more). You can contact him @ (604) 467-3682 or e-mail starkey@telus.net BCTA is a good place to get more info. You can PM me for more info if you want, or just reply to this thread. There's been a few people asking about trapping lately so unless you want to share personal info, I'll be happy to answer any questions here.

AT&T
12-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Can I trap on my own land without a license?

BromBones
12-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Can I trap on my own land without a license?

Not legally.

todbartell
12-10-2010, 09:45 PM
can you shoot a fox on private land with a rifle, with a trappers license & permission?

danfloris
12-10-2010, 09:51 PM
thanks for all the info guys

Pete
12-10-2010, 10:17 PM
thanks for all the info guys

Course cost is $295 which also includes the manual and a years membership to the BCTA. Instructors will run a class for 6 students providing there is not a lot of travel. If we have to go on the road we need a min. 8+ students to make it work. The classes are a mixture of hands on and classroom. Every student must skin at least one piece of fur on their own, usually a Squirrel or a Muskrat. All students must assist in skinning, boarding and fleshing a Beaver. All students must flesh a coyote or like fur on a fleshing beam. There are also instructor demos on mink and martin. All students must learn how to set traps safely using the proper safety equipment. This does not include the field day which includes putting up cubbies, martin boxes, squirrel pole as well as the different set for Coyote, Wolf, beaver, otter, mink and muskrat. The best way to get course information is to go through the BCTA office @ 250 962-5452 or 866 222-0454

N-W-Redneck
12-11-2010, 12:54 AM
can you shoot a fox on private land with a rifle, with a trappers license & permission?

Yes, if it is legal to discharge firearms in that area. You are generally subject to the same regs as for hunting, 1hr before sunrise till 1hour after sunset, with an exception for putting down an animal caught in a trap on a registered trapline or private property.