PDA

View Full Version : Never shot a bow in my life

steve62
12-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Hello all this is my first post. I have hunted every year for the past 30 or so. my weapon of chose is a 7mm rem mag. I have desided to try bow hunting. I am looking at a Diamond Razor Edge the reason I am looking at the razor is I fingured if I do not like it my wife would be able to use it. That and there is no large investment $329 bass pro shop.
Questions
1. what length of arrow do I order. I think I will need to set the bow to 60Lbs pull 29" draw. I am 6'1" 220 Lbs.
2. If the wife is shooting it do I need difrent arrows? I think she would pull 30Lbs and maybe 22 - 24" draw 5'5" ??? Lbs haha.

My wife is my hunting partner. next question If we are out bow hunting during bow season only can my wife carry a rifle for backup?

Jagermeister
12-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Hello all this is my first post. I have hunted every year for the past 30 or so. my weapon of chose is a 7mm rem mag. I have desided to try bow hunting. I am looking at a Diamond Razor Edge the reason I am looking at the razor is I fingured if I do not like it my wife would be able to use it. That and there is no large investment $329 bass pro shop.
Questions
1. what length of arrow do I order. I think I will need to set the bow to 60Lbs pull 29" draw. I am 6'1" 220 Lbs.
2. If the wife is shooting it do I need difrent arrows? I think she would pull 30Lbs and maybe 22 - 24" draw 5'5" ??? Lbs haha.

My wife is my hunting partner. next question If we are out bow hunting during bow season only can my wife carry a rifle for backup?I hate to tell you this, but to buy your first bow by mail order is not a prudent decision. You would be far better off to seek a bow shop or a club to get your answers.
As far as your wife is concerned, she would not be able to use the bow if you decided that as her draw length is likely to be quite a bit less than yours and the bow probably would need module change to acommodate her draw length.
Also, a bow used for hunting has to have a minimum draw weight of 45# @ 29 inches. So a lesser draw length will produce a lesser draw weight.

Brew
12-10-2010, 05:47 PM
You wont be able to buy a bow that both of you can shoot. Not unless you had the same draw length anchor point and physical strength. In your situation I would not order a bow online. Go to a shop and get educated on as much as you can and fitted to a bow. This will save you a lot of time,money, frustration and disapointment (spelling).

steve62
12-10-2010, 06:19 PM
One of the reasons I was thinking of the Razor edge is it says it is easy to change the draw and wieght without having to buy any other parts. Is this not the case?

Stéphane
12-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi Steve,

I am also new to bow hunting and I bought my bow from a bow shop. I am an avid online buyer, but I'm glad I got an expert to help me with choices and to set it up. It's the little things, I tell you. Worth the extra bucks in my opinion. In my case, I got it for the same price they were selling them on Ebay.

The rest of your questions will be best answered by other members or by your pro shop.

SG

steve62
12-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Ok so who knows where the closest Bow shop would be, I live an hour South of Burns Lake. three hours west of Prince George. Nothing around here I have heard about.

Jonas111
12-11-2010, 08:20 AM
You are in a pretty remote location thats for sure.

Maybe give Hardcore Archery a call and see if they can help you out over the phone. I know they sell bows to guys way up North quite a bit. They will be able to take care of what you need and possibly teach you and your wife a few things to get you started.

They are licensed instructors, and there is four of them that work there and they all teach. They are very enthusiastic archers and love to get people into this sport.

Good luck

Ruger4
12-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Jonas gives good advice here , and as for the Razor, great little bow , very adjustable in draw length and poundage. It definately can be swapped around the family as far as youth to smaller adult size and ready to shoot in a matter of minutes. My wife shoots one very well and in a matter of minutes my 8 year shoots the same bow , different draw and different poundage. In my opinion great bows for youth and light poundage pulling females. IBO is over 300fps so no slouch turned up :mrgreen:

steve62
12-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I have done a bit of reading and was thinking this sounded like a bow that I could buy and both the wife and I could give it a try.
http://www.huntersfriend.com/2009_Diamond_Razor_Edge/youth_kids_bows_compound.htm
anyone know of a place in Canada that does packages like this?
I am heading down to PG on the 20th I will checkout a couple of bow shops then. But I have found that most stores of any kind are over priced up here.

jimb60
12-11-2010, 10:38 AM
My wife and daughter both shoot that bow they love it! One hunts the other shoots only 3d. And the resale is great!

Ruger4
12-11-2010, 11:07 AM
I have done a bit of reading and was thinking this sounded like a bow that I could buy and both the wife and I could give it a try.
http://www.huntersfriend.com/2009_Diamond_Razor_Edge/youth_kids_bows_compound.htm
I am heading down to PG on the 20th I will checkout a couple of bow shops then. But I have found that most stores of any kind are over priced up here.

as mentioned earlier , Hardcore Archery in Kelowna has them on the wall , call Ken he's there today :mrgreen:

Jagermeister
12-11-2010, 01:53 PM
That seems to be a pretty good deal alright. Seeing as how it is all set up for you, I think that you could probably go with that deal. It might come in a little higher $ than you think and because it is an international order, you will have to talk to someone which is good too because you can ask them all the questions and they will have all the answers. The only thing that I would recommend is going with at least the 100gr. heads.

Bow Walker
12-11-2010, 10:32 PM
The Razor's Edge has a draw length adjustment from 19" to 29". So no problem with your wife shooting the same bow. However, with the reduction in draw weight, she would need different arrows from what you use.

Yours would be in the .400 spine range and hers would be in the .500 spine range...and Yes, it makes a big difference.

Your arrow length depends a lot on what type of arrow rest you are using with the bow. If it is mounted so that the arrow support point is behind the riser, then you could conceivably use arrows that are as short as 27 inches (like I do).

If you are using an older fashioned arrow rest then you'll need arrows that are at least 28.5 inches long. If you're buying a "package bow" then you'll not need to worry about an "olde fashioned" arrow rest being on the bow.

If your wife intends to hunt with the bow the draw weight will have to be at least 40 lbs (at her draw length). As far as her carrying a rifle "for backup" during Bow Only Season - I'm afraid that it ain't gonna happen, this side of being legal. Or at least it shouldn't happen.

steve62
12-12-2010, 10:54 AM
The Razor's Edge has a draw length adjustment from 19" to 29". So no problem with your wife shooting the same bow. However, with the reduction in draw weight, she would need different arrows from what you use.

Yours would be in the .400 spine range and hers would be in the .500 spine range...and Yes, it makes a big difference.

Your arrow length depends a lot on what type of arrow rest you are using with the bow. If it is mounted so that the arrow support point is behind the riser, then you could conceivably use arrows that are as short as 27 inches (like I do).

If you are using an older fashioned arrow rest then you'll need arrows that are at least 28.5 inches long. If you're buying a "package bow" then you'll not need to worry about an "olde fashioned" arrow rest being on the bow.

If your wife intends to hunt with the bow the draw weight will have to be at least 40 lbs (at her draw length). As far as her carrying a rifle "for backup" during Bow Only Season - I'm afraid that it ain't gonna happen, this side of being legal. Or at least it shouldn't happen.

Thank You for to info: At this point I am not sure if I will ever hunt by bow yet. I want to pick up a bow and test it out, see if I like it, feel confident enough to try hunting with it. If I do not then it would be something that the kids can play with then they come up.

AT&T
12-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Be best if you could talk to a couple people where you live. Try their bows. Shoot a couple different ones if possible.
They are easy to shoot.

Bow Walker
12-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Thank You for to info: At this point I am not sure if I will ever hunt by bow yet. I want to pick up a bow and test it out, see if I like it, feel confident enough to try hunting with it. If I do not then it would be something that the kids can play with then they come up.
Steve - just shooting a bow (even at a target) - the same priniples apply. What works for your draw length and draw weight will not work for your wife's (or your kids') draw weight and length.

Good luck with the bow and welcome to the addiction.