PDA

View Full Version : Major high to all time low!

RoscoeP
12-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Whoever said on here buy nice or buy twice, well I am ready to eat crow. I have been so excited the last few days getting a good deal on my bow then finally getting it. Well it is in the mail on the way back to Martin. I was just putting on the final touch on it. Doing peep serving when I noticed a major fray on the string near the idler wheel. I had pulled the bow back a few times to measure arrows and adjust the peep etc. On futher investigation the idler wheel has some very sharp and rough edges on it, in one place you can feel where it has slightly higher rough metal. That wheel should have never left the factory. I believe the string was cut going over the wheel.
I called Martin and they are going to look after me but I am sure I won't see it for a few weeks xmas and all. I am so dissapointed I can't even put it in words. I will have to set it up all over again plus my shipping costs etc. Well I supose it could have broke while shooting it, not good!
One question since they are going to change the string and put on a new wheel, do you think I should call them and have them upgrade the string to a better one? Or should I just go out and buy the $1000 Hoyt I wanted in the first place and sell the Martin when it gets back?
Well thanks for reading my rant, shit happens I guess and I have my health and the kids will be home for xmas. Cheers everyone

Bow Walker
12-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Ahhh crap! You're right about ka-ka happening. It also happens at the worst possible times (Murphy's Law).

Martins are great bows, on the other hand so are Hoyts. Do you like one over the other? Have you handled/shot both so as to make a comparison?

I know it's tough waiting all over again for your bow to arrive, but quality checking is subject to human error and if they make it right for you then all should be good.

If possible it would be a good idea to "upgrade" the bow string and cables. Ask. All they can do is to say "no".

Stéphane
12-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Really sorry to read about this. The good new is they are in WA State, so doesn't have to go far.
I am extremely happy with my Martin, and I think that when you'll get it back, you'll be satisfied.
I don't judge a company by a mistake but on how they deal with it. I hear nothing but great things about the Martin's service. Please keep us posted.

RoscoeP
12-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Yea, thanks for the comments. Took my sweetie dog for a walk and some fresh air, dosn't seem as bad now. Busy time of year anyways and so so weather. And I still have my recurve which I love to shoot. I am sure Martin will look after me. Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
12-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Martin is a standup company and will treat you right .... I would be surprised if they even charge you for shipping it ........Honestly I dont see why your shop didnt just change out the wheel themselves .... Its a 20 minute job at most.

as far as buying a Hoyt instead... why didnt you in the first place? If it was strickly price ... in your mind the Martin will always be inferior .... if the Martin was the best fit ... why would you look elsewhere?

Martin only uses their strings ... and if the idler was bitched .. it dont matter what string is on it would wear .... if you want an after market string ... order it after you get your bow back ...

Jiff
12-13-2010, 02:22 PM
It's kinda funny. my brother is a student at Western Washington University. And he buys most of his archery stuff from Dave's.

Well about 4 weeks ago he ordered a trad quiver from Martin (through dave's)
and still has yet to see it. i think it's Bill, the archery guy at daves, called in to martin and they sent it already but daves hasn't gotten it.

I know christmas is a pain for the delivery guys but could USPS be this unorganised? or did martin screw up and say "we sent it" but sent it that day. lol

Really sorry to read about this. The good new is they are in WA State, so doesn't have to go far.
I am extremely happy with my Martin, and I think that when you'll get it back, you'll be satisfied.
I don't judge a company by a mistake but on how they deal with it. I hear nothing but great things about the Martin's service. Please keep us posted.

RoscoeP
12-15-2010, 09:15 PM
I did send an email to the shop in London Ontario where I bought the bow telling them what happened, just for there info. They wrote me back saying that the other bows they had in stock, I presume them meant Martin Firecats all had a sharp edge on one side of the wheel and a nice smooth side on the other. They said they would be taking it up with Martin.(well mine was sharp and rough)
They also apologised for the hassel and said if I was not 100 percent happy with what Martin does to let them know. I think that is fair enough and hope to see my bow soon, but they probably don't even have it yet.
Cheers Roscoe

RoscoeP
01-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Still not back, just called them and it is not fixed yet,WTF. I am not very happy about this, and probably not buy another Martin because of this. Oh well its out of my control.

Stéphane
01-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Still not back, just called them and it is not fixed yet,WTF. I am not very happy about this, and probably not buy another Martin because of this. Oh well its out of my control.

Funny, I was wondering what happened with that bow. Ohhh what was the reason for not being ready? I wouldn't be happy either. As I said to you once, it's okay to have a problem, but how one deals with it is the tell tale.

I love my Bengal and I'm very happy to be a rare Martin owner on a sea of PSE (where I live). Having said that, should I run in an issue like yours, I'd be changing camp as well.

I feel for you, mate.

RoscoeP
01-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Well I finally got my Martin Firecat TR1 back this morning. Looks like they upgraded the string set for me and replaced the idler wheel. The new string set is green and black where as the old one was yellow and black. I just may be able to give Martin another chance for this extra service. The idler wheel was a world of a difference than the sharp rough old one. So hopefully all will be good with the bow. I am going to try a G5 peep without the rubber band. In the end it cost me $33 to ship the bow back to them and my time. Figure the string upgrade was worth $33 and my back is a bit sore right now so the wait wasn't as pressing. Now to go and put some goodies on it. Cheers everyone. Roscoe

Bow Walker
01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Good for you. Glad you got it back. Let us know how you make out with it.

Stéphane
01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Well I finally got my Martin Firecat TR1 back this morning. Looks like they upgraded the string set for me and replaced the idler wheel. The new string set is green and black where as the old one was yellow and black. I just may be able to give Martin another chance for this extra service. The idler wheel was a world of a difference than the sharp rough old one. So hopefully all will be good with the bow. I am going to try a G5 peep without the rubber band. In the end it cost me $33 to ship the bow back to them and my time. Figure the string upgrade was worth $33 and my back is a bit sore right now so the wait wasn't as pressing. Now to go and put some goodies on it. Cheers everyone. Roscoe

Right on. You got the Hammer Head string, lucky you! This one will not rotate so no need for a rubber band (tube?). I'm going to replace mine on my bow. I'd say it will be close to $100 when it's all set and done.

After doing the 3D shoot, I'm even happier with my Martin. I hope yours will grow on you and you'll be able to forget about that episode.

SG

RoscoeP
01-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the comments, Stephane that 3-D shoot looked like a lot of fun. Good on you for getting involved and helping out. I hope I shoot as well as you my first time out. You will be taking home the trophy's before you know it. I am pretty sure I will be happy with the bow and really happy about the string upgrade, bonus! Cheers everyone, Roscoe