PDA

View Full Version : My 2010 season

J-varnsy
12-09-2010, 03:58 PM
I've been on HBC for a while now and finally decided to share my 2010 season with everyone. It was a great season for me, I put hundreds of miles on my boots and covered some of the most beautiful terrain in B.C.

To start things off the first animal that I tagged this year was a nice lone flat-top whitey. I had Friday off work and decided to get out to my favorite spot by first light in the morning, I didn't have any hunting buddy's that could come with me so the old pooch would have to do! I had made it in before the sun had come up and everything was perfect! Except the fact that there wasn't a deer in sight! What left to do but hike out to the truck and drive the roads for a bit and see if anythings moving. Sure enough I hop in the truck and throw the dog in box and not even a km up the road I spot this whitey looking at me through the willows 25 yards off to the left of the road! I hopped out of the truck and chambered a shell took one look at her and decided why not there's only 3 days left in the season, this would be some great meat in the freezer and an easy pack to the truck! Bang one shot and she's down. A half hour later I'm in the truck headin home!:-D
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/jvarner05/blackberry125.jpg

So later that night the gf's dad asks me if I want to go after some moose, maybe some mules the next day and of course I say yes! So first thing next morning were in the truck headed up to the high country to his secret spot to see if we can't find ourselves some game! Sure enough the weather was perfect it had snowed a foot the last 2 days and there was fresh tracks everywhere. We made it to the spot, parked the truck and split up, he was going to walk the bottom and I was going to walk around the top and we would meet at the tree line at the far side. I'm about halfway into the cut moving so slowly, walking a bit then stopping to glass when I notice 100 yards below me there's 2 moose standing on top of a ridge looking down below them! They don't see me at all and I'm thinking this is perfect! I put the binos on em and see antlers on 1 of them! If he would just turn his head I could count the points! 5 minutes go by and it feels like forever until he turns his head and I can clearly see that he's not legal:(! So meet up with the the gf's dad and he says that he was watching the moose from the bottom side and there was 2 more with them, all not legal. A week goes by and we are heading to the same spot again, everything's working out perfect, the snow has melted a bit but it is still deep and easy to notice the fresh tracks that go everywhere! I decide to walk the bottom and he takes off to the top side, I do the same thing as last time and kind of follow his tracks moving slowly and paying attention to every detail. I'm beginning to think that our luck is gone from this spot as nothings moving around until I get to the bottom of the ridge the moose were on last time! A moose just stood up from his bed 75 yards from me! I get a rest on a stump, put the cross-hairs on him and there's no doubt that hes legal! I drop the hammer and he bucks in the air does a 180 runs 20 yards and drops! My first moose! 5 hours and 2 5 mile trips hes quartered and in the box of the truck and headin home! What a rush, this is what its all about!!

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/jvarner05/hunting2010004.jpg

3 weeks go by and I hunt hard every weekend in my favorite spot. I see deer but don't ever have a good shot at the big ones. I'm lucky enough to guide my little brother to this beautiful whitey!

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/jvarner05/hunting2010022.jpg

Now I'm Jealous, I have to get a buck this year, the seasons almost over and I can't be outhunted by my little brother! Thursday I get off early and call my dad and see if he wants to go for a night hunt! Its been snowing hard all week and was a blizzard right until we start hiking into my secret spot. I've seen over 14 bucks in this spot already this year and I know the one I want. Sure enough the lights already starting to fade by the time we get close to where were going. I'm walking in a ways before my old man and cant help but notice that there's rubs and beds everywhere with no snow in them! The deer were just here and we missed them! I pull out my rattlin antlers and start to rattle when I glance back at pops and see hes got his rifle up, I get my gun up right away and start looking where he is but cant see anything! He gives me the signal that he just saw a buck and it was moving up the ridge into the trees chasing a doe! I let a couple buck grunts go and got into a good position to shoot. All of a sudden there he is 200 yards up from me! I put the scope on him and hes coming down towards me...until he spooks and takes off through a ravine and back up the ridge! It's now or never, I have the smallest window to take a shot and my Tikka 270 WSM did not miss its mark as the buck dropped in his tracks! I didn't get the chance to see his rack all that clearly before the shot but knew that he was big. It wasn't until I got up to him that I realized how big he was! A long drag to the truck thanks to a good buddy, my dad, my brother and a toboggan and it was all over! Now I just have buffalo to look forward to in January!

J-varnsy
12-09-2010, 03:59 PM
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/jvarner05/hunting2010030.jpg

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/jvarner05/hunting2010031.jpg

savagecanuck
12-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Nice bucks and spiker thanks for sharing

doubled
12-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Very nice, what region were you in?

snareman1234
12-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Awesome bucks man! congrats!

bobboa
12-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Nice photo's. Congrats on the deer and moose!

dabat
12-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Nice work, congrats

kennyj
12-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks for sharing your season. Great whitetails and moose.
kenny

OutWest
12-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Now that you've cut a few tags you can start coming back to hockey :). Great season bud!

hunter1947
12-10-2010, 02:47 AM
Lots of meat in the freezer for you this year ,very nice WT buck you got ,congrats on tour years season..