PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon Rod

12-08-2010, 07:44 PM
so I'm looking for a new sturgeon fishing rod. I am thinking of the 8' shimano Technium. are there any other good rods you sturgeon fisher use or would suggest???
thanks.

srupp
12-08-2010, 08:05 PM
hmmm Leaseman uses them and I have used them they work very well..

Steven

darrin6109
12-08-2010, 08:21 PM
i have one and have no complaints.

darrin6109
12-08-2010, 08:22 PM
its the reel that you really whant to think about.

steelheadSABO
12-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Never used their sturgeon rods but I use a TrophyXL for almost everything and love it. It's made in burnaby by redl sports too

12-08-2010, 08:30 PM
I use penn 320gt's with 100 pound test. not to flashy but they have been doing the job.

pin_head
12-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I've got a Technium and a Penn 330 for my sturgeon fishing. Can't complain about either one but their are a lot of new rods on the market that seem comparable to the technium but ring in about half the price. Something to think about if you looking to save coin.

12-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I've got a Technium and a Penn 330 for my sturgeon fishing. Can't complain about either one but their are a lot of new rods on the market that seem comparable to the technium but ring in about half the price. Something to think about if you looking to save coin.

well I got into about 60 sturgeon this summer, and hope to get into a lot more next summer, so I want a quality rod. and don't mind spending the 160$ for it. unless there is something better out there

BUCKJR
12-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Can't beat the shimano technium for durability, sensitivity and price. Shimano designed that rod off of the custom built rods our company used to use. (lamiglas and st. croix) I've used quite a handful of different sturgeon rods over the last 10 years guiding for them and have no real complaints. Every one who i work alongside also uses them, you won't be dissapointed.

thebeav
12-08-2010, 10:07 PM
I have a shimano technium matched up with an abu 10000 big game reel love the combo. You can't go wrong with that rod and there very reasonably priced

Barracuda
12-08-2010, 10:19 PM
you could also try a shorter sensitive 1pce boat style rod . (not the telephone poles of yesteryear)

Uglystick Okuma,Penn ,Shimano (Shimano are really nice but pricey) all make similer style big game rods .
The shorter rods (6-7 feet ) give you more power to pull them up and use heavy drags but the downside is that you have to be more on top of things to keep up line tension.

I tried a really short speed jigging rod and it lasted two sturgeon but it was a nice feeling rod.

I have a longer shimano rod but I really like these new breed boat rods with sensitive tips and heavy backbones .

12-08-2010, 11:46 PM
At A and N you can get Armundsons for about 90 bucks, feels like the Shimano's to me. Save your self some $$.

My spelling might be wrong. They are 8 1/2 one piece, red tipped.

I've got 4 and no troubles, teamed up with 330 penns, affordable for a regular Joe, Harry or Ralph for that matter.

CT

JRG94
12-09-2010, 12:01 AM
go with the technium or the amundsen rod with a shimano TLD 20 loaded with 130 salt&pepper tuff line and you got your self one hell of a sturgeon set up.

warnniklz
12-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Never used their sturgeon rods but I use a TrophyXL for almost everything and love it. It's made in burnaby by redl sports too

Unfortunately (fortunately for smaller stores) you wont be able to buy a TrophyXL direct from Redl Sports. And you definitely wont be able to get them at that Wholesale Sports or whatever they call themselves... ah ha. I laugh because I'm friends with people there. But I can point you in the right direction on where to get them.

But they are excellent and have a wicked warranty and pair them up with a Penn 320GT and you're set!!

The Daiwa 11' or 12' Beefsticks are pretty killer too. They tougher than hell and they're usually priced pretty well.

Leaseman
12-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I run half a dozen Techniums on my boat..... fun for 2' fish and still fun in the 10' range.....never broken a rod on a dino and we have hit many 25-30 fish days... gets lots of use...:wink::mrgreen:

Send me a pm if you haven't purchased..... have a little known warehouse that sell these and salt gear at GREAT prices!

Mike

Just an after thought.... definately (IMHO) not a shore rod!

12-09-2010, 02:41 PM
anyone ever try hooking into one on a center pin salmon rig??? we were a rod short one time so we gave it a shot. It makes a 4 foot fish seem like a 10. won't do that again.

Leaseman
12-09-2010, 03:19 PM
anyone ever try hooking into one on a center pin salmon rig??? we were a rod short one time so we gave it a shot. It makes a 4 foot fish seem like a 10.

Don't let too many people hear this....:wink:

There is enough media attention about stressing these fish and there is always the chance of losing this fishery!

(although it is funny watching guys in small tin boats with 4-6 foot fish towing them around!)

Mike

Barracuda
12-09-2010, 03:22 PM
long rods in general tend to do that because of the leverage.

We watched a guide with a client fight this "HUGE" fish upselling how much it is just bending the rod which was one of these 9 foot rods .
It looked really impressive and the person was struggling with the fish .

It was a great show to watch them drift by with a"fish on" drive in to shore to beach and photgraph a very tired five foot fish .

not sure how good it was for mr fishy

pin_head
12-09-2010, 07:43 PM
At A and N you can get Armundsons for about 90 bucks, feels like the Shimano's to me. Save your self some $$.

My spelling might be wrong. They are 8 1/2 one piece, red tipped.

I've got 4 and no troubles, teamed up with 330 penns, affordable for a regular Joe, Harry or Ralph for that matter.

CT

I've heard mostly good things about those amundson rods, but mu buddy bought 4 a couple months ago and has already blown up 2. Could just be a bad run cause everyone else seems to love them.

cheers,
Brad