PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ranch Nice Frame

Kobe
12-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Ok, I've read all of the great reviews, and see that Hermit is really excited about his new mystery ranch pack.

Me and a buddy really want to check these out, but can't decide on the 6500 or 7500 for week long trips. Is there anyplace in/near Vancouver that we could check them out? I really don't want to drive 812 miles to Boseman...

If anyone has one in the lower mainland, we'd gladly buy a few beers if we could take a look at a Nice Frame and 6500 or 7500 pack.

Thanks,

Kobe

mark
12-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I could be wrong...but I believe there is little to no difference between the 2, except the lid design???? The larger capacity of the lid makes it a 7500.

I have the 7500 pack, I have removed the lid, and used it as a day pack all season long in places where I cant get a vehicle to a downed critter!
Id go 7500 all the way, just for the time or the long pack trip where you might want the extra room!

mfarrally
12-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I have the 6500 and it is an awesome pack for hike in trips. I used it on our 10 day dall sheep trip this year and It has more than enough room for any sheep trip into the hills. I wouldn't get anything bigger.

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/mfarrally/DSCN1293.jpg

Devilbear
12-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I was just speaking with MR today and their production facilities are at the limit with military work and likely to remain so for some time to come....so, my suggestion is that either one will work just fine.

I have used Dana Gleason's packs since 1978, owned 11 and now have 9, including two complete NICE rigs. The 7500 bag IS a little larger than the 6500 and the latter, to me, is large enough. The giant bags can often be a problem with offsetting your balance in rugged terrain.

I have had several folks from HBC come to my home to check out my packs in the past, but, my wife is not well and I am not keen to disturb her. Where do you live as I may be able to help you and I have a lot of backpacking experience and can quickly tell what size you require.

Kobe
12-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Hey guys,

thanks for the Great Tips. Devil Bear, you've gone through 11 packs? You must be out every weekend. Good on you.

Thanks for all of your advice, I see a frame on e-bay that may fit me, a small yoke and small waist band (I'm 5'8" and 34" waist...depending how much I've been drinking), so I think it should fit.

I've already gotten a volunteer in the Lower mainland, for a 7500, but if someone has a 6500 in RIchmond or Burnaby area, we'd like to see that as well.

Kobe

TSW
12-07-2010, 11:22 PM
These bags are the bomb, and either the 6500 or 7500 will do the job. I have an internal frame MR but I have a few friends who also have the NICE frame set up. One has the 6500, and it is great, another just got the 7500 and it is amazing. If I was to make a purchase again, I would buy the 7500 hands down. The 6500 is not too small, but the 7500 is just that much NICEr (ha). The extra 1000 basically means you don't have to look like a hobo and attach stuff to the outside of your pack to fit everything in once you've downed your animal. (Which could throw of your ballance just as much or more as the bigger pack IMO).
Oh, and Kobe, just so you know if you're a 34 waist I would definitely go with the medium waistbelt. I am between 33 and 34 and the medium fits me far better than a small does.

KodiakHntr
12-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all of your advice, I see a frame on e-bay that may fit me, a small yoke and small waist band (I'm 5'8" and 34" waist...depending how much I've been drinking), so I think it should fit.

Kobe

You'll likely be fine. At 5'10" with a 32-33" waist (depending on how much I've been drinking....lol) I'm running a small waist belt, and medium yoke.

The small waist belt is almost not small enough for me by the time I get to day 5 or 6 during the summer. Can almost cinch it all the way up. However, right now I've got ample room with it even over a heavy winter coat.

bigwhiteys
12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
You want the smallest waist belt you can get away with... If you go with the medium you would be dissapointed with your pack fit.

I am 5' 10" and 200lbs. I MAXED out the medium waist belt this year on my sheep trip and it was HELL coming out. I lost several pounds and the med waist belt could no longer go tight enough to hold the pack up.

Carl

mfarrally
12-08-2010, 09:36 AM
You want the smallest waist belt you can get away with... If you go with the medium you would be dissapointed with your pack fit.

I am 5' 10" and 200lbs. I MAXED out the medium waist belt this year on my sheep trip and it was HELL coming out. I lost several pounds and the med waist belt could no longer go tight enough to hold the pack up.

Carl

I agree with this 100%. call the people at MR and talk sizing with them. I lost over ten pounds in just under a week sheep hunting this year and my waist was maxed out

bigwhiteys
12-08-2010, 09:41 AM
I agree with this 100%. call the people at MR and talk sizing with them. I lost over ten pounds in just under a week sheep hunting this year and my waist was maxed out

Yep, having that waistbelt loose like that ruins the entire function of a MR NICE frame and was hard on my shoulders and back. It felt perfect on the hike in, but a few days into the hunt I had thinned out enough where it became quite uncomfortable.

Carl

TSW
12-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Well if this is true then the good people at MR failed miserably when they sized me for the waistbelt. Now that this discussion's happened I do remember that after a week of sheep hunting I couldn't get my belt tight enough which was frustrating but when I put the small waistbelt on it felt way too small, like the padding didn't even fit properly. Interesting...

bigwhiteys
12-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Now that this discussion's happened I do remember that after a week of sheep hunting I couldn't get my belt tight enough which was frustrating but when I put the small waistbelt on it felt way too small, like the padding didn't even fit properly. Interesting...
I think you and I are in the same position... I am between the small and the medium. I either need to get a little fatter or a little skinnier.

Having that waistbelt tight is KEY to the entire fit, without having it tight to your waist the suspension system just doesn't work.

Carl

Devilbear
12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Kobe, you are getting some very sound, realistic and experience-based advice here and I can add a little more to this. Just quickly, I have used many packs because I started carrying a rucksack, hiking around Nelson in 1956, started backpack camping in spring of 1964 and soloing the following year. My experience basically spans most of the development of lightweight gear and I have and will change gear IF and ONLY WHEN there is a definite design improvement that makes me perform better and/or with greater comfort.

That said, Carl and the other boys are totally correct, the padded waistbelt which came in at the end of the '60s, was not only a Godsend in comfort, but, it/they MUST be correctly sized and adjusted to work as intended. If, your waistbelt is not fitted, an internal frame or hybrid semi-rigid is LESS comfortable under load than a fully rigid frame pack with a full fabric backpanel that will conform to your back...i.e. my old Bullpac or Trapper Nelson No. 3.

So, while you should be concerned over this, be aware that MR is just excellent to deal with and will exchange any harness component that does not fit as you wish it to, after you buy your pack. I have an original MR BDSB, now called "The Kodiak" and it has divers pockets, etc., to a volume of almost 9000 cu.in. and I have exchanged accessories with them to build it exactly as I want it.

The internal frame MR packs sit about an inch closer to your spine and thus the larger ones are better balanced in rugged terrain than the NICE system, not much, but, it is there. That said, to me, the NICE system is the best all-around pack I have ever seen and worth every penny of it's cost. For the kind of trips that TSR is doing, I might also consider the 7500 bag, but, I would definitely try both WITH WEIGHT first before making my decision.

I had a huge Kifaru Rendevous from 2005 to 2007, 8500 cu. in and more with the extra pockets I had on it; I found in the three multiday trips I used it on, that it would over-balance me with a load greater than 70 lbs and just would not ride as snugly as my smaller packs do. I never hang gear outside, except for my foamy pad and that will not affect the pack balance at some 20 oz., so, there are considerations here.

If, you PM me, I live at the border of Burnaby and Vancouver and can show you a bunch of MR packs and I also have lots of training weights so you can get an idea of how they carry for you. HTH.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-08-2010, 06:41 PM
id like to know what you mean concerning the waist belt ? .. are you saying that it is not adjustable? might be a stupid question but iv never looked at it and im thinking about getting a nice pack . im 6,1 220 ..and i guess i have a 36 waist ..lol.

bigwhiteys
12-08-2010, 10:02 PM
id like to know what you mean concerning the waist belt ? .. are you saying that it is not adjustable? might be a stupid question but iv never looked at it and im thinking about getting a nice pack . im 6,1 220 ..and i guess i have a 36 waist ..lol.
It's adjustable but not a one-size-fits-all deal. There are 3 waist belt sizes. You'd probably be good for a Medium.

Carl

12-09-2010, 12:35 AM

Get the medium waist belt, that way even if you loose a few pound it will still fit you.
I had the same problem as bigwhiteys this year. I had the large waist belt and Lost a bunch of weight and on they way out I was carrying the pack on my shoulders for 15k, not fun. I'm 6'2, 215 and the medium waist belt has lots of extra room for me.
I think if you can't carry it in the 6500 maybe you should leave somethings at home. For the pack out you can always put the light stuff in a stuff sack and strap it to the outside of the pack. It's human nature to take extra crap when you have the room for it.

ps, get the pocketed waist belt.

lnelson
12-10-2010, 09:59 PM
I'll have a 6500 by the end of next week and I work in Surrey if you want to meet and take a look at it sometime.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-14-2010, 08:22 PM
i just look at some ebelestosk packs in the store, i looked at the j107 dragonfly the j34 the just one pack and the jp9hb blue widow.. so far im leaning towards the jp9hb blue widow .. it seems bigger and fits nice . i dont think i need the one with a gun holder , i prefer to have it in soft case just tied on or i did pick up a safari sling . i did ask about the kifaru gunbearer but they never heard of it !. .so i grabbed this sling for 35 bucks . i figure its cheap so id try it out . .but what does everyone think of those packs .. i tend to always over fill my pack with everything but the kitchen sink !. and i need room for a life sized hide and head of something .. bear or goat . .lol

MattW
12-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Like they said, getting the right size of waist belt is very important. I'd also say that the pocketed waist belt is very handy. The day-pack lid isn't as handy as I expected though, I like the extra space and organization it brings to the total pack but it isn't much use as a daypack in the context of mountain hunting, not enough space for a days worth of gear in the mountains and who wants to drop game and then have to head back for the big pack so you can start packing it out. The long pockets you can add aren't that awesome either, unless the pack is stuffed they flop around a lot and hook on things, I think MR offers a better alternative to them now though.

Kobe
12-29-2010, 01:36 AM
Guys,

Thanks for all of the advice, I'm probably going to buy one in the spring when they come out with the new optifade camo. One last question, given the detachable buckles for the different bags, does this frame with any of the bags squeak at all? Or make a lot of noise? My hunting partner goes crazy with squeaky bags.

Thanks Kobe

Devil bear, I'll have to give you a call after I get back from my ice fishing trip next week.

The Hermit
12-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Guys,

Thanks for all of the advice, I'm probably going to buy one in the spring when they come out with the new optifade camo. One last question, given the detachable buckles for the different bags, does this frame with any of the bags squeak at all? Or make a lot of noise? My hunting partner goes crazy with squeaky bags.

Thanks Kobe

Devil bear, I'll have to give you a call after I get back from my ice fishing trip next week.

Where did you see that MR will be using Gore's Optifade camo patterns? That is exciting news!!

Elkaddict
12-29-2010, 10:15 AM
I picked up an MR Nice frame with load sling this year. Recently added a Longbow bag which I picked up from a member (thanks Lee). Since adding the Longbow I have noticed an annoying squeak from around my right shoulder. Have yet to source it out. Was hoping there might be some answers on here. Anyone try silicone spray or similar on the buckles?

Kody94
12-29-2010, 10:15 AM
I think you and I are in the same position... I am between the small and the medium. I either need to get a little fatter or a little skinnier.

Having that waistbelt tight is KEY to the entire fit, without having it tight to your waist the suspension system just doesn't work.

Carl

You may have to pack a second waistbelt in with you. Sucks to have to carry "dead weight" but they are pretty light.

Have you tried using 1/2 of a medium and 1/2 of a small? Not sure if that would work, but seems like it might split the difference for you.

bigwhiteys
12-29-2010, 10:20 AM
You may have to pack a second waistbelt in with you. Sucks to have to carry "dead weight" but they are pretty light.

I'd sneak it into my non-hunting buddies pack, he's got all kinds of shit in there... This past season he snuck a 2lb chocolate bar up the hill...:eek:

Have you tried using 1/2 of a medium and 1/2 of a small? Not sure if that would work, but seems like it might split the difference for you.

Nope haven't tried that yet, I may just get a small and stick with it. It's okay if it's a little tight early in the hunt.

Carl

Kody94
12-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I'd sneak it into my non-hunting buddies pack, he's got all kinds of shit in there... This past season he snuck a 2lb chocolate bar up the hill...:eek:
Carl

LOL. I am sure he'd rather you sneak a few ounces of waistbelt into his pack than a couple rocks, or a 26'r of rye...well, maybe not the rye...

Kobe
12-31-2010, 02:05 AM
Hermit,

I read it on their facebook site that they will make the packs in optifade this spring. I also sent them a message to see if they are making them in open country pattern. I think they are only starting with the 6500 for now.

Anyone else have a squeaky buckle problem? I wonder if they will make a small medium belt for those of us who sit right in the middle?

Kobe

Gateholio
12-31-2010, 02:24 AM
camo pack...whoopee...
:-|

I've got camo packs but the "Foliage" colour of the MR packs is fine for hunting.

I think one of my first backpack hunting trips my pack was bright yellow and black, or maybe it was a purple and blue pack...Still killed a deer.:-D

TSW
06-02-2011, 11:36 PM

Carl

After this discussion I ordered up a small waistbelt, installed it and have been very happy with it. A pretty cheap alteration, that took about 5 mins to change out. After trying the small a little more, it is definitely the better fit for me. My waist is more 33 than 34 these days and the small belt cinches up nicely. The good news is I still have the medium waist belt just in case I decide to insulate myself more in the future. :mrgreen: