PDA

View Full Version : Back When - Was There an Eagle Season?

GrandA
12-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but just a random thought I had, has there ever been an eagle season? Or has that always been a no no..?

sawmill
12-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Only for F.N`s.

blackwater moose
12-07-2010, 04:21 PM
there was no open season, just rampant poaching

BiG Boar
12-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Funny, I wondered the same thing the other day. Would make a great mount!

Pioneerman
12-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Now if you could mount one with a V I marmmot in it's talons that would be pretty special. The only Blad Eagle mount I have seen in a residence was at a RCMP officers home he got it after it was electricuted on power lines and he said it was a lot of paper work to get it. I assume he had a better chance to get that over the rest of us.

Alpine85
12-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Funny, I wondered the same thing the other day. Would make a great mount!

Agree, I'm a fan of the spread eagle.:-D

AT&T
12-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Sorry you are wrong. There was a bounty on Eagles back in the day. There was also a bounty on squirrels and pretty much anything else you could think of. My Dad used to get 1 penny for every two squirrel tails. If he didnt miss he could pay for his 22 plinking. There is no question there was a bounty on Eagles. The expression a buck. Thats what you got for getting rid of a deer. One dollar. That is going along ways back especially in the U.S. Bounties paid on carivours were more common. The first time I went into the Gang Ranch store as a kid there was a poster on the wall.
50 dollars and a new pair of boots at the company store for every set of Grizzly ears, 10 for a black bear and same for a wolf. So there you go.

Look74
12-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Bounties were paid on Eagles and Owls up to 1926 in B.C. along with Magpies and crows. They could be shot by farmers until about the mid 1950s.

Prowler
12-07-2010, 05:19 PM
The expression a buck. Thats what you got for getting rid of a deer. One dollar. That is going along ways back especially in the U.S.

Thats a bit of a stretch....:? A Buck refers to the male of many different species, not just deer...

dana
12-07-2010, 05:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/P61.jpg

mark
12-07-2010, 06:17 PM
You guys want to hear a hard to believe, but true story......Last year, on a trail not far from my house, I see a wounded eagle, had blood on its head and seemed it couldnt fly....we walked within 10 ft of it, and I figured it was pretty messed up.

Not wanting any critters to suffer, I called a CO and told him the situation.....right over the phone he gave me permission to "shoot it", he said bag it, and freeze it, they would pick it up some other time!
For whatever reason, I simply couldnt do it with my .300 mag, so I went home for a .22.....when I returned, I took some pics of the bird, just as I was about to "shoot it" it jumped over to the edge of the shelf I was on (on a mountain side) and managed to glide away!
Never even heard back from the CO!

rocksteady
12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Agree, I'm a fan of the spread eagle.:-D

And I hear they taste like chicken!!!!!

wolverine
12-07-2010, 06:32 PM
I got news for you. Ranchers still shoot eagles. They tend to have an appetite for the eyeballs of young calves. I know of ranchers that will shoot any eagle on site.

noahs ark
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
My friend has one he inherited. I would imagine not to many would take kindly to killing one this day in age. It was a record year on the fraser watershed for eagles this year.

Bighorn hunter
12-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Don't hold me to the exact timeline, but around 40 yrs ago you could get a collectors permit and could shoot owls and eagles with it. The reason I know is my dad used to have one and at that time did collect a number of owls and one golden eagle that I know of.

BlacktailStalker
12-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I got news for you. Ranchers still shoot eagles. They tend to have an appetite for the eyeballs of young calves. I know of ranchers that will shoot any eagle on site.

I did not know that.
Thats what I learned new today.

kyleklassen
12-07-2010, 06:41 PM
govt still shoots them to protect the marmot.

M.Dean
12-07-2010, 06:47 PM
I remember seeing a Eagle Mount when I was kid, It was in the attic of a Farmer out in Westsyde, the story I heard was the Farmer was in the house having lunch when he heard a hell of a racket coming from the barn area, he ran outside and seen a Bald Eagle chasing his oldest boy around the yard! The boy was very young at the time, the Farmer reached inside the door and grabbed a gun and shot the Eagle then had it mounted! I can't remember what the wing span was but I remember the Guy saying it was the biggest he'd ever seen!

steelhead
12-07-2010, 06:47 PM

kendoo
12-07-2010, 07:32 PM
And I hear they taste like chicken!!!!!
in this case more like fish

AT&T
12-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Ranchers are hard on Eagles. This is kept quiet but does happen. They get a bit eager with calves as someone else mentioned. When the big ranches deal with the big calving season there are quite a few cowboys with eagle feathers in their hats. They feel this way about all predators Black bears included.

GrandA
12-08-2010, 12:13 AM
well i got my answer thnx

JCVD
12-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Sorry you are wrong. There was a bounty on Eagles back in the day. There was also a bounty on squirrels and pretty much anything else you could think of. My Dad used to get 1 penny for every two squirrel tails. If he didnt miss he could pay for his 22 plinking. There is no question there was a bounty on Eagles. The expression a buck. Thats what you got for getting rid of a deer. One dollar. That is going along ways back especially in the U.S. Bounties paid on carivours were more common. The first time I went into the Gang Ranch store as a kid there was a poster on the wall.
50 dollars and a new pair of boots at the company store for every set of Grizzly ears, 10 for a black bear and same for a wolf. So there you go.

Nope. Buckskins were a common trade item back in the day, thus the terminology.