PDA

View Full Version : After many day trips and gallons of gas...

Triggerman
06-07-2006, 08:23 AM
I have been hunting a large Hydro right-of-way really hard and had seen a couple of bears over the last month in the area. One time my hunting buddy and I were at the edge of the trees at sundown and had a cub walk up to us 5 steps away and then feed for 10 minutes 8-10 steps away! After we got over the shock, we realized we better get out of there as Momma was probably nearby! All the other bears I had seen were either small or on the run and un-shootable when spotted.

The other night, I went to my spot by myself and waited for an hour and saw nothing except a cub on the road up so before dark, so dejected I left. As fate would have it on my way down the road I saw a large Chocolate bear on the side of the logging road. I jammed on the brakes, turned off the truck, got out, set my scope to 10 power and fumbled for my clip. I got a bead on the bear but it was obscured a little by trees. I waited a while and sure enough he started moving back across and I tucked the 7mm 160 grain partition bullet right behind his shoulder. He ran off at the shot and I worked the Finnlight bolt quickly and got another one off as he boogied up the hill and was gone!

I approached the spot where I had shot him, and grabbed my 870 pump with 14" barrel, jammed in some slugs and buckshot and with my 1,000,000 power searchlight looked around for blood.

I could only see a little blood and after looking around for 10 minutes and being by myself I decided to come back at first light.

I got up early and headed off to the spot I had left the night earlier. I followed up the blood trail which soon ended on examination and I circled for an hour and a half to find nothing but a grouse nest and a scared stiff grouse sitting on it - must have been the stubby black 870 that scared him!

By this time I was quite sick about not finding the bear and decided to go back to the first blood I had seen. I got down on my hands and knees and followed the trail and by being on the ground now, I started to pick up the trail. I followed it and sure enough it continued in the opposite direction I had been looking. I went about 15 yards on my knees and when I looked up - BINGO!!!

My bear had zigged left and I has zagged right. I was only 12-15 yard from it the whole time!

The next 5 hours were hard work by myself! I'm pretty stiff today for sure, next time, i'm calling in the Cavalry!

Brambles
06-07-2006, 08:52 AM
its amazing on how well those bears can hide when there dead eh.

Good job on the bear and honeing your tracking skills

3kills
06-07-2006, 08:56 AM
very nice bear..but we have to know what did it measure...

MB_Boy
06-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Nice work Triggerman......that's a nice looking bear.

twoSevenO
06-07-2006, 09:40 AM
he's got a nice fat head on him. Great job man ... fine looking animal

boxhitch
06-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Persistence pays off again, way to hang in there. It pays to get to know one area instead of spreading yourself thin (saves gas too).

Rookie
06-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Another fine lookin bear and a big fat mellon on him.Way to go man!

Elkhound
06-07-2006, 10:32 AM
very nice bear..but we have to know what did it measure...

Details man, details. Congrats. Glad you found him

Triggerman
06-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Waiting for the measurement from the Taxidermy guy!

Maxx
06-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Great bear, well done!

overthetop
06-07-2006, 11:16 AM
I gotta get one this spring....clock's ticking.

farside
06-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Very nice bear. We're heading out this afternoon to see if the man in my world can get hisself one.

bsa30-06
06-07-2006, 05:44 PM
nice bear, excellent job on the recovery.congrats

rollingrock
06-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I especially like the part of looking for the bear. Once you let the pig run into the thick bush, man....lucky that you found some blood trail. I think the best way of looking for its trail is getting down to the ground. But if the bear was shot on a rainy day, what were you able to do? BTW, this is a nice bear!

Foxer
06-08-2006, 01:18 AM
By this time I was quite sick about not finding the bear and decided to go back to the first blood I had seen. I got down on my hands and knees and followed the trail and by being on the ground now, I started to pick up the trail. I followed it and sure enough it continued in the opposite direction I had been looking. I went about 15 yards on my knees and when I looked up - BINGO!!!

My bear had zigged left and I has zagged right. I was only 12-15 yard from it the whole time!

Man - i've done the same damn thing with an animal before. Spent forever looking because i was SURE i knew where it went only to find it 20 yards in the opposite direction.

When all else fails - get back to the basics :)

Fred
06-08-2006, 08:40 AM
HEY, the foxman is back. Whatch been up to young fellow? ;) Fred

rollingrock
06-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Man - i've done the same damn thing with an animal before. Spent forever looking because i was SURE i knew where it went only to find it 20 yards in the opposite direction.

When all else fails - get back to the basics :)

But sometimes the bush the animal went in has been heavily used by other animals. So you might see the same type of trails everywhere, that's gonna suck if no blood is left after the shot.

BTW, long time no see FOXER!

Ovis17
06-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Congrats on a fine bear and the recovery effort. As we all unfortunately know a lot of guys wouldn't have gone the extra mile.