PDA

View Full Version : FVSAH map overlay?

mungojeerie
12-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Does anyone have an overlay of the Fraser valley special area hunting map on an aerial photo or some such?

There are random bits of non descript no hunting areas all over the brochures map, If I want to hunt close to one, I have no way of telling whether I'm within the no hunting/shooting area or not if the boundaries do not fall on land/water profiles or streets etc.

This map is great but there really needs to be a more detailed one available.

Angus
12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Does anyone have an overlay of the Fraser valley special area hunting map on an aerial photo or some such?

There are random bits of non descript no hunting areas all over the brochures map, If I want to hunt close to one, I have no way of telling whether I'm within the no hunting/shooting area or not if the boundaries do not fall on land/water profiles or streets etc.

This map is great but there really needs to be a more detailed one available.

I've recently tried the overlay by importing a layer into Google Earth. First you need to convert the FVSAH map from .pdf format into a format that Google Earth will accept (jpeg, btmp, etc). You can then insert the overlay map and reduce the opacity (I think that's the word, meaning you can end up seeing through the overlay) and place the FVSAH map, or sections of it, on specific areas of the map area in Google Earth. You can move it around if you use the location function.

However, the scale on the FVSAH map is a bit off. When I tried to match it up to nearby roads and the bends in the Pitt River, it didn't match up completely. I checked the scales, and made sure that topography didn't skew the scale on Google Earth (it will fold sections of the overlay to account for increases in topography), but still didn't fit correctly.

It didn't get accurate enough to the point where I'd trust it in the field. Whoever makes these FVSAH maps, needs to update them, or at least get the scale correct in all areas.

My $0.02.

Terry

mungojeerie
12-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi Angus,
Yes I have already done this for some areas of the Pitt.... i took screen shots of google earth photos with all the markers removed then a screenshot of the map, overlaid on the photos and adjusted the opacity so they were quite transparent.

Due the same issues you encountered with scale I ended up using this as a guide line to mark my own red areas on the photos.

I do believe they are fairly accurate but I was wondering if someone else had their hands on something more concrete.. something that would hold up to the law. Last thing I want is to think Im good and find out otherwise by armed rcmp as others have stated.

I agree, better maps should be available, maybe this is done on purpose?... maybe they like the borders being a little grey. Proper maps should be done and could be done easily. They dont even have to print them, hand out the FVSAH brochure with the current map and provide a link to online maps that people can refer to for more accurate boundaries.

betteroffishing
12-14-2010, 03:53 PM
that last point is the truth i suspect. unfortunately for the law , the judges of the land dont like enforcement of grey lines , and therefor if you genuinely believe you are in the right , your propably safe , unfortunately for us is the fact that most of us are too lazy to take the law to task when we feel wronged.