PDA

View Full Version : do your kids hunt?

mungojeerie
12-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Hi there all,

First I'd like to say, please forgive the long intro to this topic :)

As the typical boy spending summers on his grandparents farm I was always trying to hunt things, muskrats, starlings, mice, rats, crows etc... either live capturing them or trying to kill them with home made bow n arrows, pellet guns, slingshots, spears etc... not sure if this is normal for a young boy or not.. but that's what I was like.

I have a great deal of respect for wildlife, the outdoors and laws. As a kid I did that stuff, but I never pestered the house cat or anything like that.

My girlfriend has two kids, a boy aged 5 and a girl aged 3. Both are dying to go fishing and hunting with me, they always talk about being older so they can go with me. The 3 yr old is right in there helping clean fish etc and the 5 yr old recently got brave and helped clean some ducks.

I know he's only 5 and a boy, maybe similar to what I was when I was his age, but he is obsessed with guns, shooting etc. Everything he gets his hands on, his imagination turns it into a gun. We put a stop to him watching a lot of stuff on tv that has violence but his dad still lets him play violent video games and watch violent adult movies when he has him on his weekends. And the poor cats, I don't know how many times we've had to get on his case for harassing the cats. We've also put a ban on weapon toys in the house because eventually they are used to harass the cat or his sister or whatever.

I was wondering what experience any members have had with their children and introducing them to hunting and firearms use. Im sure half of them wanting to go with me is just to spend time with me. I cant imagine either of them sitting still in a cold duck blind or the likes. And I cant imagine allowing the 5 yr old to shoot a gun. I keep telling them they have to be older and that they need to be a little more mature and responsible.

At the moment they don't even know I have guns in the house, they think my guns are at my friends house and that my gun cabinet is just a closet to store things in.

At what age did you let your children first shoot a pellet gun, .22, large bore rifle or shotgun at?

And do/did either you or your children act similarly when you were aged 5-12?

I must have shot my first pellet gun when I was 4 or 5, .22 when I was around 9, .30-30 at 11 and 12ga at 14.

Ryan

Steeleco
12-06-2010, 11:46 PM
My wife was uncomfortable with either kid firing a gun till they were 10. But until that age, I always allowed them to touch and ask lots of questions when I was cleaning for swapping scopes. Never had the same issue as you are with the older kid, but it must be tough instilling rules at your home when they mean nothing at the other house.

Take them shooting as spectators and show them what a gun will do to a bird or other game. Teach them that guns are fun, but they are dangerous if not handled properly. But most of all "THEY ARE NOT A TOY"

They may get it in time, but the older kid sounds like he needs to grow some before you can start to teach him properly. Some kids get it some never will. Only time will tell. Good luck and good on you for trying.

cowboy
12-06-2010, 11:46 PM
i am in the same boat as you, i have three boys, oldest is 5
however i think curiousity is what makes things dangerous....
my 2 oldest know where my gun safe is and what is in there.. i show them, and tell them that when they are older they can shoot.

am looking forward to people's 02 cts on this topic as i am also wondering when to let them shoot a pellet gun etc.

thanks

Steeleco
12-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Only you will know when your kids are ready, get a pellet rifle and a big cardboard box and give it a whirl. The thing for my kids was the physical ability to hold a rifle. It's like learning to walk, they're a little wobbly in the beginning. Now at 14 and 12 respectively each kid is an accomplished hunter. My youngest (girl) got herself her first deer this Sept. My son is catching up to dad at an uncomfortable rate LOL

Buckmeister
12-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Boys will be boys and girls will be girls.

I wouldn't be concerned if a boy is obsessed with guns at an early age. In fact I would be concerned if he wasn't. Just like young girls like to dress up and play with dolls, young boys like to shoot things with imaginary guns or bows and arrows. It's not violence, it's testosterone.

You could remove all TV and video games and guns from a home, and a boy will still fashion his hand or even his mashed potatoes into the shape of gun. It is the way they are wired.

mungojeerie
12-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Yeah I know it will be different for everyone. My situation is a little different because they are not my kids.. Ive only been in their lives a year and a half and their father doesn't respect their mother or I and messes with their heads.

They haven't grown up with me and I haven't been able to teach them about hunting and firearms and what not like I would have if I was there from day one.

Im curious about other peoples experiences and when their kids first shot various firearms.

I would like to involve the 3yr old more, I think she would do good, learning and watching, but it's not fair to let her and not let the 5yr old. And I would love to start in on it more with him but Im not sure if I should... he may be alright with it, he's surprised me plenty of times before with other things, but he may also be too excited and get frustrated when he doesn't get to do or try things he wants and feels he should be able to.

270WIN
12-07-2010, 12:15 AM
i have a ten year old who lives with my ex wife and showing no intrest in hunting and till she does I will not push the issue. With my current girlfreind we have two kids together a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old boy, the boys way too you for guns right now but he can sit for hours and watch hunting shows with me kind of cute. On the other hand my 3 year old for over the lst year been asking me to take her hunting. I will be taking her in the spring for some road hunting for black bears be more of just getting her out there to show her what it like probly will not take a bear with her there but who knows. will also be getting a bellet gun soon for her to try.

One the other hand my nephew is 9 and when he was younger he sounds alot like your step son ever thing was guns and his perents let him play and watch vilent shows/games and I thought it was the games that made him do what he does and I was to worried about how he would act around a realy gun well one day my dad and I were geting ready for a trip and he asked to see my riffle so i himed and hawed for a little to show him but I realy glad I did as he was totaly oppisite from what i thought he be like. he did ever thing I asked him to and he asked alot of question and so on. As you said i got surprised. I will be taking him out next spring to shoot and hopfuly this time next year i will be posting about his first animal.

stoneguide
12-07-2010, 02:16 AM
My boys are 8 and 10. They both have pellet guns and both have .22's. They only shoot the 22's supervised but take there pellet guns out solo. They have been shooting since the age of 6. Both have also shot my 12gauge with 2 3/4" shells. The youngest did well but said he thinks he will maybe wait a bit longer before he shoots it again. Said he needed to grow a bit more(he isnt very big). My oldest has also shot the wifes 7mm-08 and liked that also. He will be shooting lots this next summer as he could possibly be hunting next fall if he happens to get a late season draw. He can hunt at age 12 and will turn it Dec. 7 one year from today.
Its all about the individual but I started letting my boys be around guns from day one. I was brought up this way and feel in my opinion is the best way to have responsible and safe children when it does come time for them to handle and be around guns.

JMHO
SG

hunter1947
12-07-2010, 02:52 AM
I give my kids lots of opportunities to become a hunter ,the youngest one that is 18 right now was on two moose hunts with me up at Hudson Hope BC for two weeks.

He said he did not like hunting it was to much lots he did not like about it.

#1 He did not like getting up early.
#2 He hated the long walking.
#3 He did not like the long drive to get there and back.
#4 He did not like the weather rainy or to hot.
#5 He did not like the cleaning of the animal all most made him sick.
#6 He missed his computer games.
#7 He missed his friends not being able to mountain bike.
#8 He did not like the cooking set up ..
#9 He could not sleep at nights thinking a bear might come into camp..
#10 He did not like the killing of the animal made hum upset..

I tried and thats all a father can do I miss not having one of my sons that would like to hunt ,but I make up for it with good friends in camp every year http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

Gateholio
12-07-2010, 03:11 AM
FIrst time I hot a .22LR I was 2 years old, pulling the trigger while my dad steadied the rifle. Been obsessed with guns ever since, and it's completely normal for a 5 year old boy to run around with toy guns or turn other objects into guns.

I recall a story, condensed version.

A guy visits a family and they tell him that they dont' allow thier kids to play with toy guns, watch tv or movies with guns in it, or even use water pistols. "Our children don't even are not interested in guns and don't even know about them"

Guy turns to Little Johnny; "Hey Johnny- What's a gun look and sound like?"

Johnny makes a "gun" from is index finger and thumb and starts going "BAM BAM BAM"
:-D

tackdriver
12-07-2010, 05:32 AM
My son turned 10 this year and now has a junior licence. He loves to hunt hike and shoot. Pellet gun at 5 under my supervision, now 10 he is deadly with the .22 and the .243 ive gotta get him through the core or i wont have many tags next year. That being said guns are not toys if you make a gun out of your fingers it better be pointed at the ground in my house.
Once the kids get some real first hand expierience and real knowledge you would be surprised how quik they try to share the reality of it with there friends and discount what they see on tv. Take the young fella out he will love it, then if he wont behave take it away from him until he wants to act responsbly you might be surprised how quik things change when there is some incentive. good luck to ya and i hope you all continue to enjoy the best b.c. has to offer.

bigneily
12-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Supervision has to be key here in teaching kid's about guns and safe handling, take them to the range with a 22 a set of ear muffs and lots of shells, most of all be close in order to assist with proper shooting form and safe handling they will love it. My son hunts we started him off with a 22 at 7 , he took the core course and passed in the 90% range at 10 yrs old that year he shot his first buck with a 7mm-08 i bought him, this year at 11 he shot a nice 4 pt buck at over 200 yds and also shot a cow elk very proud of him.My daughter is 6 she say's she wants to hunt like daddy and her brother, but she doesn't want to shoot a buck for her first animal, she wants a bear to be her first....lol...:mrgreen:

Doe
12-07-2010, 07:12 AM
Ryan, imo, when you decided to cohabitate with their mother, it became your responsibility to teach those kids gun safety and to answer any and every question they ask.
If it were the other way around, and the father was the hunter, you'd want him taking full on charge of what they know and how well they know it!
God gave kids imaginations....wild as they are, and the ability to make finger-guns & an explosive sound with nothing but their voices, no one can take that away. That being said when you have a little sniper, (more so when dad lets him watch age inappropriate violence) teach him the right way to see a gun. Guns have the potential to create a great love of shooting and sport, but also can harbour a dangerous curiosity if not harnessed and taught.
When they show interest, and obsession, its time to teach! Fill his head with enough of the right stuff, that theres no time or room for the weekend garbage he gets exposed to at Dad's house.

Casagrande
12-07-2010, 07:14 AM
My kid is five, and he's been introduced to both rifle and shotgun, held them, dry fired them etc. Has seen them be loaded and knows what they can do to an animal/human. He has been on a few short, easy day hunts with me. Likes to watch Canada in the Rough and loves going to Proguide's house to see the taxidermy work.
I drill it into him everytime that the gun is not a toy. Obviously common sense, but kids can't hear that enough.
So far, so good and he's probably ready for a pellet gun which we'll try in the spring.
And no video games in the house!
Every kid is different and will progress at thier own pace/comfort level. You will know if they're ready or not.

frenchbar
12-07-2010, 07:23 AM
My two youngest boys have hunted with me since about the age of 4..one is into it pretty good the youngest isnt quite as much ..their actually more interested in getting laid these days than hunting ...and well who can blame them:mrgreen::)

Camp Cook
12-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Yes I do...

Older son started hunting with me when he was 5 his younger brother started when he was 2 years 10 months he's now 3 years 8 months old and has his own 22LR rifle.

My 2 boys Sept 27/09 the T/C Contender rifle is the same one that is now converted over to fit the little guy.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Sept_28_2009_Jaiden_Jason_and_Daddy_s_First_Huntin g_Trip_004.jpg

Oct 4/10

http://www.hunt101.com/data/504/medium/Jaiden_Jason_Dad_with_Bucks_Oct_4_2010.JPG

island grown
12-07-2010, 08:03 AM
My boy is turning 6 years old in just a few days and he started out with a pellet rifle this last summer. I heard him tell my wife yesterday that (daddy) I will buy him a 22 when he earns its. We have talked a lot about the responsibility of a rifle and what they are used for. He never calls them guns but instead calls them rifles and treats them just like his uncles tools. Because that what a rifle is, a tool.
I started him this year hunting with me. Going for walks though the timber, Calling, rattling, learning the signs and tracks. He now loves all the other aspects of hunting, not just the idea of shooting a rifle. I will probably start him on a 22 next year if he shows me the right attitude.
And he does play with dart guns and bows and sticky arrows in his room. He knows that if he points one at us they go into toy jail. He also has a camo toque that he wears around the house, pretending he's hunting for deer.
The kids will show you when their ready.

Cheers,

beni
12-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Still too young myself to have kids. However my family had me along in the truck before I could walk. By the time I was 7 or 8 I had already worked my way to a 20g. Took my first grouse at age 8 and had started practicing with my grandfathers old longbow. They taught me all about safety my whole life, that's the biggest thing when it comes to guns as a child. You cannot stress that enough.

Do I ever regret not sticking with archery.. They wanted to send me to the junior games or whatever it was. This year I rekindled my love for it =D, sticking with the longbow I can't imagine how good I would have been with it by now. Such is life..

deezday
12-07-2010, 08:37 AM
this thread is great my wife and i are about to have our first future hunter so i have no experience with my own kids but when i was young probably 5 or 6 my uncle introduced me to the sport. i first got to carry around a pellet gun (with no pellets) when we went hunting if improperly handled or misused he took it away. I believe kids strive to be like there piers (fathers, uncles) and if the time is taken to teach them about rifles before they ever get to shoot they will understand and treat a rifle with the utmost respect. Its great too see the fathers and mothers out with there children i think thats what its all about i personally cant wait. bought my unborn child his/her first shooter a little cooey 410.

AT&T
12-07-2010, 08:55 AM
This is a great post. Regardless of how you are raised some people even little people just dont like it. It is great to get your kids out. I have lots of memories of taking my two boys out. I was never very successful when they were 4 -5. It is amazing how loud two boys can whisper to each other. I didnt push them shooting a gun to early. I didnt want the kick to make them afraid. It is important to imprint them regarding the out doors for sure. They are after all what will keep the heritage going. I remember a good story when my oldest son was 13. He was going through that age that nothing between him and I was working. Too much attitude and hormones on his part. At first light two 5 point whitetails came out trotting towards us. We both got ready. I told him to take the buck on the left and me the right one. As soon as he fired I followed up. Both bucks went down. The adrenaline put us past our issues. He was jumping for joy. He hugged me as we walked out to our deer. It is hard to explain but the father son thing was so special. As we were gutting our deer he looked over at me and said. I am sorry things have been so hard Dad. He stared at me with such love in his eyes. I told him it was okay, I love you to son. We continued cleaning the animals then he looked over at me and said. Dad what are we going to do if they ban hunting. We wont be able to do this anymore together. Son we our family have been hunting on this property we own for 6 generations. If they make it against the law we will just do it in the moonlight.
A special time for sure. Dad

Camp Cook
12-07-2010, 09:16 AM
A couple more pics my little guy loves to look for deer...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9394.jpg

He loves to ride the quad with me and has over 900 miles on it with me since Sept 10/09...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9248.jpg

He fishes and shoots archery as well... ah yes I have an outdoors-man for a son...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9202.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9328.jpg

He also loves to retrieve the grouse...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_93601.jpg

Ah yes memories I am definitely a lucky guy...

ex bc guide
12-07-2010, 09:20 AM
both of my kids hunt and seem to be as addicted to it as much as there dad! they also get ther fishing in!

partner
12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
IMHO If someone shows interest in anything, one should not hinder the experience. We as adults need to teach, what we know, being self taught or taught by others! Our 2 boys have been fishing and hunting with me by the age of 2. They showed interest before that with whatever I brought home. My youngest walked up and kicked a bull moose in the nose and asked me if it was dead! My oldest at the age of 4 fished with a good friend of ours and I in a fathers day fishing derby in Lac La Hache in the rain for most of it, never complaining. He won a outboard motor.

JAFA
12-07-2010, 02:09 PM
The only thing missing in this thread is the fact that as it pertains to your area of expertise,hunting, the father has no real influence here.

Ignore his input and give it no credence or power. Keep focused on the importance of your mission, raising good kids, of which hunting is a part.

Under the circumstances, kid sounds normal to me, I would get him out ASAP. This will raise your impact on his psyche, with the negative male influence, sounds like he needs this.

Jim.

saskbooknut
12-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Raised two girls, one 30 now, the other is 41.
Neither of them hunted for game. Both of them loved to shoot. Both of them were along on many hunts. The older one took up muzzle loader shooting before I did.
They both live lives that do not include hunting. To some extent this is because the fellows that they married were not and are not hunters.
The real point is that they understand hunting and love to eat game meat.
In fact, both girls think that beef makes awful boring hamburgers. If I visit them you can be sure that there is some frozen WT meat in the luggage.

If I am really lucky I might live long enough to introduce my younger daughter's soon to be born young'un to the world of hunting.

luckynuts
12-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Both my boys having been shooting since they were 4. my 8 year old shoots a 30-30, 22-250 his little 22 and the 410. My oldest has shot everything my youngest has plus a 30-06 with reduced loads. has taken a black bear and 2 deer with a 30-30 and his 250 savage. Both of them love to shoot. I believe earlier is better, though that is me and every kid is different.

W.

dutchie
12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
A couple more pics my little guy loves to look for deer...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9394.jpg

He loves to ride the quad with me and has over 900 miles on it with me since Sept 10/09...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9248.jpg

Nice Quad Campcook:twisted:!! Bet you wish that you had it still:razz:

RIP Quad! Post pics of the new one when you get it!

Dutchie

Camp Cook
12-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Oh I still have it but this is what it looks like now... :(

Nov 21 2010 1:30pm while up in the mtns it stalled on me I started it again then it stalled again then I lost all electrical so my buddy that was with me and I walked back to my truck/camper/trailer chained up and headed the 1 - 2 klms back to the quad and this is what we found...

Turns out there was a recall on the electrical system they had been having a few problems where the wiring shorted out causing a fire fortunately it happened in a place that didn't start a forest fire or in my garage...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9484.jpg

Rob
12-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Oh I still have it but this is what it looks like now... :(

Nov 21 2010 1:30pm while up in the mtns it stalled on me I started it again then it stalled again then I lost all electrical so my buddy that was with me and I walked back to my truck/camper/trailer chained up and headed the 1 - 2 klms back to the quad and this is what we found...

Turns out there was a recall on the electrical system they had been having a few problems where the wiring shorted out causing a fire fortunately it happened in a place that didn't start a forest fire or in my garage...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9484.jpg

What recall was this as I have this identical quad:???:.

Camp Cook
12-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Here you go...

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08193.html

http://www.usrecallnews.com/2008/02/huge-atv-recall-by-polaris-sportsman-and-scrambler.html

paw325
12-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I'll apologise up front because this is going to be a long one.

My girl started hunting when she was old enough to sit on my shoulders and hang on while I hiked for a few hours, (I think Whisky Creek has a pic of that somewhere) she was probably 3. Got her first 22 on her 6th birthday and killed her first grouse that fall. Passed her CORE and PAL when she was 10. She turns 13 this spring and is putting in for LEH griz so she can hunt with Steelie73 and I spring 2011.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/IMGP1200.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/Picture033.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/lindsaybuck001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/IMGP1032.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/Picture020.jpg

paw325
12-09-2010, 12:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/DSCN2449.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/DSCN0439.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/DSCN0450.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/DSCN0454.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/DSCN0443.jpg

paw325
12-09-2010, 12:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/P9300033.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/linsbear.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/DSCN0767.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/2010dalls060.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/2010dalls041.jpg

Camp Cook
12-09-2010, 02:18 PM
WOW I can hardly wait for my guy to experience those kinds of hunts/trips...

AT&T
12-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Great pictures of you and your kids. Awesome

Rodd
12-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Start them out with a slingshot, once they master that ans have earned your trust(mastered it) then move onto the BB or Pellet rifle, we used to play a shooting game when i grew up, the worst group did the dishes, incentive to the max to get better at shooting. Then the next step is the .22 but only while adult supervised. My kids hunt and shoot squirrels regular around my place with the Pellet Rifle... The oldest daughter got her first buck at age 10, and really didn't get the bug, peer pressure at school etc... told her it was mean etc... so she is not interested in killing anything anymore(her choice, not for everyone) no disrepect on my part although I was a little disapointed, but my son and youngest daughter are super kean, and most likely will become great hunters of their own one day in the near future.. Each case is different, but let the cards fall as they may... Mistakes with weapons just can't happen, teach them to respect all guns/rifles and teach them the consiquences of a potential mistake... Once the trigger is squeezed you can't take it back... Safety ALWAYS number#1...

dabber
12-09-2010, 04:26 PM
We don't have any kids, but our friends usually bring there kids when we go moose hunting. In our camp this year we had 4 kids, all under 9 years old. I'm not sure who looks forward to the trip more, the kids or us.They're great having along,alot better than some adults that have come in the past. My friends daughter is getting pretty good at calling, it would be cool if she called a moose in for him next year. It's great seeing that others are taking there kids along as well.

Camp Cook
12-09-2010, 04:49 PM
We don't have any kids, but our friends usually bring there kids when we go moose hunting. In our camp this year we had 4 kids, all under 9 years old. I'm not sure who looks forward to the trip more, the kids or us.They're great having along,alot better than some adults that have come in the past. My friends daughter is getting pretty good at calling, it would be cool if she called a moose in for him next year. It's great seeing that others are taking there kids along as well.

You just reminded me... I have been teaching my little guy to blow an injured rabbit predator call, we are heading to the in-laws in Alberta for Christmas they have coyotes everywhere around their place (pig farm just down the road) so if it isn't to cold he is going to be calling for me...

Nooker77
12-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I have two boys 6 and 4 I take both for hikes and quading(hunting) we take snackes and they have there own little binos so we glass alot! My 6 yr old just got his first 22 from "Pa" Its called a chipmunk, about 30" long...they are around guns all the time! If we have a "toy" gun in the house it is treated as a real one...no pointing at anything you dont want to shoot and eat! They understand and respect what guns will do...we have a dont touch with out asking rule and so far we have had no problems! My 6yr old is small for his age but he has shot over 100rds in his little 22! This fall we practiced till he could hit a pie plate most of the time at 30 to 50 yds! I told him he can shoot a chicken this year if he hits the target 10 times in a row..little bugger did it and after 7 shots at a nice willow grouse he shot his first one! May have scared it to death BUT man was he proud!! I believe education of what guns are for and what they can do is the key...if there not curouis about them they are less likely to sneak around and play/touch them! We work on safety and how to carry a gun all the time...even if we are just hiking and using sticks! Its amazing how they both respect our guns and understand what they do...kids are smart...teach them and they will grow up respecting them!! Also we dont "play" the shooting games on the puter or the wii...we do own "hunting" games and use these to educate target zones and for just plane old fun BUT the same rules apply with the Wii rifle as the real ones..only point at what we want to shoot! They even correct dad when he gets excited on Cabellas big game hunter!! lol My 2 cents!!

LukaTisus
12-10-2010, 05:25 PM
I don't have kids, personally, but if I did you can bet I'd teach them how to hunt. :) My Dad would take me out when I was little with him. I remember seeing my first wolf when I was sitting in the truck waiting for him to scout a trail. If I'd been old enough to handle a rifle of my own I coulda bagged it lol!

I got my first buck when I was 19, 3x4 mule deer. Had him cleaned out, hung and skinned before my Dad even got home from work, after all his buddies were poking fun at him during his lunchbreak saying he had his work cut out for him. LOL He just looked at them all "Whaddya talkin' about? It's all done!" And they didn't believe him for a minute I'd done it alone.

My brother on the other hand, isn't interested in hunting at all. Only thing he's interested in shooting are the zombies on his video games. He went with me once during a hunt and I bagged a nice buck. Between looking disgusted and trying not to get blood on him while field-dressing, the only thing he had to say was, "Ugh, the guts sound just like the games..."

Kids these days.

calvin L
12-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Both my boy's are to young at this time to hunt but they do come out with me . If thay chose not to hunt they can live with SSS or goat guy :mrgreen:

swampthing
12-11-2010, 09:19 AM
If the kids are brought into it properly, the younger the better. My son started shooting 22 at 4years old, under absolute direct supervision. At 5 he got his first 22 and took his first grouse. My son is calm and likes being with adults. I snuck him into core at 9 and just after he turned 10 and got his first hunting license, he took a 155 class mulie and a coyote on one of his first hunts. I believe hunting makes him a more responsible young man. He lives with his mother a long ways away and our hunting times are the strongest bond we have. For the 2011 season he will be 15 and we will be backpacking together. Although I watch him closely, I trust him completely. I believe guns and hunting have made him into a fine young man.

mungojeerie
12-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Well I wanted to thank everyone for adding their perspectives, experiences and thoughts to this thread.

I agree with the mainstream field of thought here, that kids can be taught about guns and handling from a very young age, but that age varies with each child.

No matter what age children are introduced to firearms and hunting its important that they learn proper handling and safety. Firearms can give a lifetime of pleasure, but improper use can take a life.

Its important to me that my children (being mine or my step kids) learn about hunting, hunting ethics, wildlife management and conservation etc. And it's important to me that they learn the basics of firearm safety, handling and use. I think its important regardless of the scenario that they understand firearms and respect their power and consequences.

I would love for them to join me on hunts in the future I think that it would be a fantastic bonding experience and it would give me a perma grin to know they are as excited about this sport as I was as a child and as excited as I am as an adult to share it with them. If they decide hunting is not for them, so be it, to each their own.

A friend of mine recently took his teenage daughter out with him duck hunting. They were sitting there in the "blind" and talking and he said to her.
"Isn't this great? We never get to talk, we're always busy with schedules, school, work, sports etc... I see you in the morning and over dinner, I take you here or there but this.. hunting together, gives us this opportunity away from all of life's distractions to sit quietly together and talk."
It put a smile on his face and her's alike.

Cheers to all of you, and thumbs up to all of those budding new hunters out there.

frenchbar
12-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Well I wanted to thank everyone for adding their perspectives, experiences and thoughts to this thread.

I agree with the mainstream field of thought here, that kids can be taught about guns and handling from a very young age, but that age varies with each child.

No matter what age children are introduced to firearms and hunting its important that they learn proper handling and safety. Firearms can give a lifetime of pleasure, but improper use can take a life.

Its important to me that my children (being mine or my step kids) learn about hunting, hunting ethics, wildlife management and conservation etc. And it's important to me that they learn the basics of firearm safety, handling and use. I think its important regardless of the scenario that they understand firearms and respect their power and consequences.

I would love for them to join me on hunts in the future I think that it would be a fantastic bonding experience and it would give me a perma grin to know they are as excited about this sport as I was as a child and as excited as I am as an adult to share it with them. If they decide hunting is not for them, so be it, to each their own.

A friend of mine recently took his teenage daughter out with him duck hunting. They were sitting there in the "blind" and talking and he said to her.
"Isn't this great? We never get to talk, we're always busy with schedules, school, work, sports etc... I see you in the morning and over dinner, I take you here or there but this.. hunting together, gives us this opportunity away from all of life's distractions to sit quietly together and talk."
It put a smile on his face and her's alike.

Cheers to all of you, and thumbs up to all of those budding new hunters out there.

great post !Your last paragraph couldnt be any closer to the truth .

Hunter1977
12-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I give my kids lots of opportunities to become a hunter ,the youngest one that is 18 right now was on two moose hunts with me up at Hudson Hope BC for two weeks.

He said he did not like hunting it was to much lots he did not like about it.

#1 He did not like getting up early.
#2 He hated the long walking.
#3 He did not like the long drive to get there and back.
#4 He did not like the weather rainy or to hot.
#5 He did not like the cleaning of the animal all most made him sick.
#6 He missed his computer games.
#7 He missed his friends not being able to mountain bike.
#8 He did not like the cooking set up ..
#9 He could not sleep at nights thinking a bear might come into camp..
#10 He did not like the killing of the animal made hum upset..

I tried and thats all a father can do I miss not having one of my sons that would like to hunt ,but I make up for it with good friends in camp every year http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

Hey Dad,

I probably got discouraged when I was young you know. Not every kid is gonna be motivated to go when they get ice dumped in there bed at 3 in the morning to go for a hunt. Or sliding down the slash out of control. Or being piggy backed across a near freezing river. You were nuts I thought, but I guess that what makes your one of the best! I would love to come up for a week or so one of these years, be the camp chef and come out on a few hunts.

sapper
12-18-2010, 01:58 PM
I plan on taking our daughter, who is 6 presently, out hunting in a year or two. We'll likely start on grouse. She is quite keen. One of my favourite hunting stories involving her was her saying, when 5 years old, "You know, Ketha [our cat], is going to be a great hunting cat. We're going to take her with us when we go hunting."
I had to explain that while Ketha might be a good mouse hunter in the city being in the bush would not be a good idea with the cat. Not to mention the 4+ hour drive to get to our hunting grounds with the cat freaking out.

Husky7mm
12-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Heres a few of my trouble makers...

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g342/bforce750/P1040645.jpg
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g342/bforce750/P1040331.jpghttp://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g342/bforce750/P1040334.jpg

Husky7mm
12-23-2010, 05:06 PM
And heres a couple more....

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g342/bforce750/P1040375.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g342/bforce750/P1040377.jpg
Good shot!

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g342/bforce750/P1040379.jpg

First grouse!

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g342/bforce750/P1040380.jpg

Gunsmoke
12-23-2010, 07:43 PM
My boys have been shooting 22's since they were both 6 years old; mostly at our club.

My eldest, who is now 12; shot his first two grouse this past Thanksgiving weekend and we got a nice 4pt wt buck together that same weekend.

In November, we headed to Christian Valley for a long weekend hunt, no game but had a blast; his first experience with a wall tent.

He really wants a hunting rifle; guess what he is getting for Christmas?

Merry Christmas to all,

patdel
12-24-2010, 12:29 AM
here is my 10 year old with his first deer taken on dec 19

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc397/patdel1/utf-8BSU1HMDQxNjEuanBn.jpg

tarzan
12-24-2010, 08:29 AM
my boys are 13 and 15 and both are totally pumped to hunt. they both have shot their first bucks already, the oldest got a dandy 4x5 last year. i never pushed either of them but they loved coming along road hunting when they were little. Now they are big enough to walk and carry guns, the problem is they both have expensive taste in gear, i think the next few years is going to cost me a fortune, but it will be well worth the investment for hopefully a lifetime of adventures together!

digger dogger
12-24-2010, 09:22 AM
If this is what one would call hunting, then yes my kids hunt! :-)
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/DSC03328.jpg

sawmill
12-24-2010, 10:04 AM
My kids have lived with their Mom and her boyfriend since they were 3 and 5 so I never got to hunt with them.Now they are in their early 20`s and the boy is in a death metal band and delivers pizzas and the girl is shacked up with a tattoo artist.Both are all covered in tats and have so many piercings it looks like they fell on a grenade face first..Guess that`s what happens when kids don`t hunt.:confused:

NaStY
12-24-2010, 10:08 AM
When I first brought guns home my kids were 8 and 5. The first thing I did was showed them what bullets were and to put them in there pocket and play with them. They looked at them and then gave then back and said, that's neat.

Then I took the firearms and showed them what they looked like. Never chambered a round but let them freely hold them. Took all the curiosity out of it.

Now my oldest is 12 and has his jr PAL already. He's been shooting a 7-08 for 3 yrs. He could now go into a sport shop and buy his own ammo and shoot a gun by himself at the range and carry a rifle in the bush legally by himself. My youngest just turned 10 and has been shooting a 25-06 for 2 yrs.

They are both very safe shooters and very responsible when it comes to guns. Although I still hide the keys to the safe just to be on the safe side..

gunpower
12-24-2010, 10:17 AM
:-D
If this is what one would call hunting, then yes my kids hunt! :-)
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/DSC03328.jpg
Thats the moments that will live with you forever.
My grandkids, were born to hunt. Grand daughter took her first white tail this year-11-1/2 years old. The other two -4 and 5 years old can't wait to hunt. Both the parents love to hunt and have a great time camping out in the woods with them.

willyqbc
12-24-2010, 11:00 AM
My son started with a bow and a .22 when he was 2 1/2 years old. Moved up to his .260 when he was 7. I thought the perfect time to teach him gun safety was right alongside learning how to walk, talk etc. I felt that teaching him then it would be instinctive and stick with him for life. Obviously close supervision at all times at that age with gun safety lessons being drummed into his little brain the entire time. We also set a policy around the house of never pointing a weapon at anyone.....even a toy gun, so no playin cops and robbers, war etc. Also no video games where people shoot at people.

Result of all this is now at the age of 10 he is as safe with a firearm or bow as any adult I have ever met. When he is passed a firearm he opens the bolt and sticks his finger in without even thinking about it....its just instinct. Another benefit of starting them early is they have the ability to become very, very proficient....Michael can hit the 10" 550 yard gong at the range every time and can give most adults a run for their money with his bow. His comfort level with his rifle also allowed him to take an elk, black bear and 2 muleys in his first hunting season....all 1 shot kills and 1 deer with a single shot from his bow.

Long and short of it in my opinion, given the right supervision,they are never too young and will learn more and keep it if you teach them when they are too young to have their own opinions on it. Having coached archery for close to a decade i can tell you with a certainty that kids are WAY easier to teach than teenagers or adults!!

Just my opinion
Chris

trapperRick
12-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Take them now as soon as you can the earlier the better they love to be involved. All four of my kids were out with me at 3 years old and by 5 know how to skin a rabbit and clean geese

Rowdy
12-24-2010, 03:57 PM
I have a 7 year old boy who has been shooting since he was 5. Under full supervision and is more reasponsible than kids twice his age with firerarms.
My girl is 5 and will start shooting this spring. My kids come hunting and fishing all the time with me and my wife and enjoy themselves. I think if a kid listens well and is taught from a early age they can be responsible. They should still be under full supervision because they're still kids. I can't wait till they're old enough to take their core and harvest their first animal.

Singleshotneeded
12-26-2010, 02:08 AM
:-DMy son Matthew has been shooting our .17 HMR at targets since last year when he was five, and is excited about becoming old enough to hunt with Dad. He wants to "help out the family and put grouse and rabbits in the pot"...couldn't be prouder of him. His older sister Phoebe is a fair shot with the .17 as well, and has shot my 12 gauge with light field loads as well, hitting her targets. She's okay with hunting small game but not sure about big game, whereas Matthew wants to harvest a moose, lol. Both of them play with toy guns and such, but I've taught them that firearms are not toys, and they have to be young adults around them. They both wait until I'm beside them, then pick up the firearm, open the action, and check to see if it's loaded or not, keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Then, if the firearm is empty, they load it up and start pumping holes into their target at 50 yards. Afterwards, they open the action, make sure it's empty, and leave the action open for the next shooter...very responsible, and they've both seen bucks going down with one shot...so they know firsthand that they're not toys!:-D

killer
12-26-2010, 10:24 AM
My kids began hunting with me since they came out of the womb.My daughter is now 18 totally into hunting has passed on some smaller bucks she wants mr. big.My son is 16 has two mulies and three blacktails to his credit.Plus he has shot a back bear that just missed the book that pig was way over 400 lbs.He took it down with one well placed shot it dropped in its tracks.Dad was very proud,still the largest bear any in our group has shot.

Islandeer
12-26-2010, 10:29 AM
My boys started hunting with me when they were 2, they are now 25 and 23,I couldn't ask for better sons or partners. They are the real deal, and they are huge so very handy when the packing starts. Love my boys!!!

fowlweather
12-26-2010, 12:08 PM
slowly get them into it but dont let them carry one until they are fully licensed. that will teach them patience and to respect what the weapon can do. try to keep them away from shooter games. if they must play a game then buy hunting games. these teach them respect and to learn about the animals. CABELAS is great, they make many games for all platforms... good luck

hunter1947
12-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Hey Dad,

I probably got discouraged when I was young you know. Not every kid is gonna be motivated to go when they get ice dumped in there bed at 3 in the morning to go for a hunt. Or sliding down the slash out of control. Or being piggy backed across a near freezing river. You were nuts I thought, but I guess that what makes your one of the best! I would love to come up for a week or so one of these years, be the camp chef and come out on a few hunts.

Cory I was referring to Charles on this post not you :wink: it would be nice for you to come out to my hunting camp for a week to see what its all about and I would get one of the best chefs to cook meals for me ,welcome to the forum Son :-D..

NaStY
12-27-2010, 06:55 PM
slowly get them into it but dont let them carry one until they are fully licensed. that will teach them patience and to respect what the weapon can do. try to keep them away from shooter games. if they must play a game then buy hunting games. these teach them respect and to learn about the animals. CABELAS is great, they make many games for all platforms... good luck

Thats odd, my kids play lots of shootem up games and they are very respectful of REAL firearms.

BC30cal
12-27-2010, 08:02 PM
mungojeerie:
I'll begin by saying that you've received a lot of good advice already, as well as some wonderful photos of youngsters out hunting. Thanks to all who answered and for sharing the family hunt photos with us.

Our girls have accompanied us hunting for their entire lives. If memory serves my wife shot her last deer when our eldest daughter was about 2 months old, waiting in the pickup with me while mom shot the deer.

They've very much grown up accompanying us up the mountains either fishing, camping, cutting firewood or hunting. As well they've helped us cut meat since they were preschool.

As a CORE instructors, the last thing we hope for is a hunting parent to bring a son or daughter out and say something like, "Well, I've never had him/her out yet, but you guys him/her them and I'll take him/her out...."

I can't recall how old our girls were when they began shooting, maybe 5 or a little before.

They didn't shoot grouse until they were old enough to do it lawfully. I've always found it a little ironic that one can't shoot so much as a grouse here in BC until 10, but then can shoot an elk/moose/bear on an adult tag?

Anyway, with apologies to those who've seen some of these photos before.

Sometimes if you start with this:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/scan00012.jpg
And continue with this:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/scan.jpg

If you are really lucky and blessed you might end up with this one day:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/HPIM0349.jpg

A couple from this fall:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/J-10WT.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/Amd.jpg

Hopefully these photos and the others here will encourage all the parents and adult mentors here to spend the time needed to get the next generation of hunters out into the mountains and hunting. We'd all be better off for it if more kids knew how food actually got to their plates, wouldn't we?

All the best to you and yours in 2011.

Regards,
Dwayne

redneckdale
12-27-2010, 08:53 PM
First off I would like to say I envy those who have kids that hunt especially the ones that posted pics not a frown in there!
Secondly you guys are so lucky to have kids that hunt Im too young and poor :mrgreen: to have kids yet but when I do this is what its all about Family and Quality time in the outdoors!(the memories of my first hunt will never leave me My Pops took me out when I was 2!, had my core before 10!got my first gun the ol'303 brit on my 10th bday in blacktail camp and my Bro followed)and thats what its about the life long memories!

Have a great New Years Everyone! and keep the tradition going!:wink:

bear buster
12-30-2010, 02:09 AM
My hunting group 95% of the time consists of my 2 year old boy, Hunter, my 5 year old, Levi, and the leader of the pack my daughter 7, Faith. They all have been in on me with moose, bears, deer, elk, coyotes, and tons of grouse. My youngest has been in on some but is still kinda freaked out about dead stuff.http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs204.snc1/7118_189231404672_774369672_3680778_8263362_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3680785&id=774369672)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs111.snc3/15845_206363154672_774369672_3851671_6970268_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3851672&id=774369672)
http://l6.sphotos.l3.fbcdn.net/hphotos-l3-snc3/hs023.snc3/11044_211480864672_774369672_3898313_147099_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3913613&id=774369672)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs438.ash1/24167_428710049672_774369672_5102336_5653935_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5102337&id=774369672)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs792.snc4/67261_497095974672_774369672_6757810_6553695_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6811290&id=774369672)
I could go on for hours about the kids hunting.

gibblewabble
12-30-2010, 02:33 AM
All my children have shot the 22 while I steady it by the age of 3, that is when they start coming to the range with me occasionally. At around 5 I start taking them with me in Sept. for ditch chickens and a bit of cruising around and some smaller walks, I ramp it up from there till 10 (last year with my oldest) when they get to shoot the chickens themselves and this year my son got his first dear. They need alot of practice if you want them out around 10 and I believe if they get to shoot them young and learn how to respect a gun there is way less chance if they are at a friends and a gun is lying around for trouble to ensue.

My boys were making guns out of sticks at 2 and that is normal as for harassing pets never really had to deal with it. How is this for redneck? My daughter was 4 son was 6.
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/gibblewabble/october05068.jpg
This fall....
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/gibblewabble/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDEtMjAxMDEwMjEtMDg0OS5qcGc.jpg
1 shot with the 7x57 and I never get tired of this pic.

Jason

john-brennan
12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
My 2 boys start shooting at 4-5 years old.

Fred H
12-30-2010, 11:46 AM
My eight years old is my best waterfowling partner since he can fit in a back pack. His siter doesn't like to get up early but like to join us once in a while.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/beauderek/Septembre2009028c.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/beauderek/DX4c.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/beauderek/Octobre2009577.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/beauderek/castors1.jpg

Surrey Boy
12-31-2010, 01:09 AM

I had an anvil when I was eight and never dropped it on anyone like Wile E Coyote would have.