PDA

View Full Version : Hunting on the Trans Canada Trail?

CTC
12-06-2010, 02:50 PM
I was recently searching some maps for new and interesting locations to explore and hunt. I found a promising trail and did some further research. The trail is part of the Trans Canada Trail (TCT) network and portions of this section of the trail were shared with a utility right of way (ROW).
I checked the hunting regs for restrictions in this area and came up empty and also checked the website for the TCT and I found no discussion of hunting restrictions.
I grabbed my rifle and off I went. I parked near the trail head and headed out on foot. As I rounded the snow bank in front of the gate that marked the trail entrance, I noticed that there was a sign hanging on the gate that said something along the lines of "access restricted to hiking, cycling and equestrian". Not being sure if I would be considered a hiker who just happens to be particularly well armed, I turned around, jumped back in my truck and drove back home.
Is anyone familiar with a general hunting restriction on the TCT or utility ROWs? I didn't notice an identifier on the sign as to who owns it (local government or the utility with the ROW) but would they have the authority to restrict hunting on public land if it did not present a safety concern?
Maybe I missed something in the regs, hunting restricted areas are usually really well defined.
CTC

takla1
12-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I use a section of thr T.C.T to access my spring bear territory.Never checked out the legality of it as ive NEVER ran into anyone on the trail in 3 yrs .I access the trail head near were we camp with my quad and travel approx 10 k along it to the general area and park and hike in.Never had a problem and ive shot bear there twice now.Of course im not hunting on the trail due to the possibility on people being there,i hunt approx 1 k off the trail.Alway wondered why i dont see people using it on the busiest long weekend of the summer!

snareman1234
12-06-2010, 05:35 PM
it was my trapline trail lol, its all good, never had any sets near the trail. they were each 500 yards or so away, but it was my main trail

NorthShoreX
12-06-2010, 06:01 PM
If you're on foot you'd be considered to be hiking. I think the sign is just telling people that motorized vehicles are not allowed past that point. If there's no "NO Hunting" sign, I'd say have at it.

Mr. Dean
12-07-2010, 03:16 AM
I'd say; Good to go!

boxhitch
12-07-2010, 06:48 PM
If you're on foot you'd be considered to be hiking. I think the sign is just telling people that motorized vehicles are not allowed past that point. If there's no "NO Hunting" sign, I'd say have at it.X 2
TCT does not own any of the property where the trail runs.
But some does run through private, rows, regional parks, provincial parks etc