PDA

View Full Version : What boot?

Slee
12-06-2010, 02:20 PM
What boot would you pick? I have a pair of Danners for everyday deer hunting... Im looking for a new Goat/sheep mountain boot. I have finally worn out my Koflach plastic boots......

Lowa

or

Scarpa??????????????????

bigwhiteys
12-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I am onto my 2nd pair of Hanwags, can't see myself switching anytime soon. My first pair are now being retired to training boot only status and my new pair, reserved only for trips.

These boots along with the Lathrop footbed and Thorlo Trekking socks seem to be the combo that works great for the comfort of my feet.

Didn't see the poll when I replied. Sorry.

Carl

Slee
12-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Yeah, not looking for another brand/make of boot other then the Scarpa or Lowa...

stoneguide
12-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Lowa and Scarpa are good boots but not my first choices thats for sure.

My first pick would be and is Kenetrek!! Love them. Great support and very comfortable. Ive climbed in hot weather cold weather, mountains in Alberta and in the Yukon with top results. Great traction in dry weather and also with light snow or rain when things get very slippery. For sure my go to boot when heading to the steep country.
SG

BigSlapper
12-06-2010, 04:04 PM
La Sportiva ... I wouldn't buy another pair of Scarpa or Lowa's

Slee
12-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Lowa and Scarpa are good boots but not my first choices thats for sure.

My first pick would be and is Kenetrek!! Love them. Great support and very comfortable. Ive climbed in hot weather cold weather, mountains in Alberta and in the Yukon with top results. Great traction in dry weather and also with light snow or rain when things get very slippery. For sure my go to boot when heading to the steep country.
SG

Ive tried Kenetrek boots, didnt like the fit. Not a big fan of them......

What model are you using?

stoneguide
12-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Mountain Extreme 420-400

BCrams
12-06-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm on my 2nd pair of Lowa Hunter GTX Extremes. Excellent boot!!

I have also owned 4 pairs of Hanwag boots. Trapper Tops, Alaska GTX, and Yukon's.

Hanwags are an awsome boot!!!

I tried the Miendle Canada Pro's and they were a disaster and after that I was going to go back with the Hanwags but their prices spiked and I picked up the Lowa's at a steal for $280 (now they're up in the 400 range iirc) and they impressed me over 3 sheep hunts, other hunting / recreational hiking!

Go with either Hanwags and Lowa Hunter GTX and you're good to go.

12-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Love my Lowa boots.

steam
12-08-2010, 12:39 PM
I am having good success with the Scarpa Charmois. Super light, great support for the high country and waterproof. Three guys in our hunting party used the same boots this fall on our elk/goat hunt and I didn't hear any complaints. Not bad for $300.

weathermag
12-08-2010, 06:51 PM
It depends upon the terrain; for slash hunting I really like my caulked Viberg Hunters. Gronell technicals for alpine hunts and Koflach degrees for cold weather. I'm lucky to have a big basement.

Iltasyuko
12-08-2010, 07:58 PM
I have the Lowa GTX - one observation I have is the grip could be a bit more aggressive - I think the Scarpa Escape has a more beefy style grip on the bottom.