PDA

View Full Version : Finally ended my bad luck streak..

beni
12-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Well, I left on Thursday for my regular hunting area.

Left at shooting light from the house Friday AM (10 minute drive to where you see game in our area). Didn't see a single thing all day until around 330pm just a few does. Did a fair bit of hiking to get a feel for where everything may have moved. Saw the tracks from the big guy i've been after for weeks, but they were all moving up. Pack of at least 4 wolves right behind them unfortunately haven't seen one in the area this year

Saturday AM, head to where all of the mulies went. Hoping to get a crack at something. They were feeding before we had arrived to one of our hiking areas. Unfortunately they had wandered into the worst area in the country, windfall super thick can't see 20 feet type. Not about to hike in that with our rifles... would have brought the shotguns instead with buckshot. Decide to leave them alone head back down the road 2km and bug the WT's for a bit. Hike around pushing them out, but nothing has been working lately. Ahh well, damn another plan fails. Decide to check out some areas we have seen a few does and lots of sign. Walked a few newer cutblocks one doe bedded down, glassed the area and no buck. Drove for maybe 2km, decide to turn up a road and radio the other truck. "We got one!!" we hear on the radio... Ok, so which road? Come around the corner, and there they were. Grab the rope out of the truck, grab my pack. Find out it was a long shot and wasn't a good hit. I ended up tracking the thing for about an hour and a half. Gave it lots of time to bed down, but kept getting back up tough SOB. Followed him within a few hundred yards of the river. By this time it had gotten too dark to do anything else. No lights, and a very cold 74 year old grandfather we had to turn back.

Headed out first light to find him. So very happy we got there before the wolves did. Decent sized 3x4 (no pictures =(). Him in the truck we decide to take the long way home, I had to get back home relatively early. Didn't see anything else on the trip home. That was Ok, we were happy with the end of our season.. Until

We had skinned the deer and called the butcher, I was all packed and ready to drive home. I felt like meeting the butcher myself so I followed the grandparents there. Living in a semi-secluded area we come to the crest of a hill... holy crap there's a WT buck! Hmmm, what do I do? standing in the middle of open crown land with no houses anywhere near. Deactivated logging roads all behind the deer. The rifle is sitting in it's case in the back of the car with no bolt and ammo is also hidden.. crap. slowly open the door, turn off the subaru deer lunges forward, stops starts eating *whew*. creep to the back of the car, try and quickly unpack everything throw one round in, *BANG FLOP*. Didn't move an inch.. meanwhile grandparents are sitting a little ways up the road, they couldn't do anything no rifle in truck.

I was the happiest person ever today... I don't care if it was just a little guy... i've finally put some meat in my own freezer. Shot from the trunk of my Impreza... that doesn't happen every day.. After countless hours in the bush Hiking and pushing myself through snow and tick timber I shoot something standing on the side of an old cutblock..

Grammar is very poor tonight, forgive me.

only one pic, I had to get the home had to pay butcher to skin it... ended up being 4 hours late. Just a little two point baby guy. But will he ever be tasty

too tired to post the pic, can't get it to work will resize it and post tomorrow.

hunter1947
12-06-2010, 03:14 AM
Good for you getting your first deer ,monkey finally off your back ,congrats to you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

looking forward to seeing the picture :wink:..

Piperdown
12-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Was the butcher Stewart, good guy if it was and lots of deer up behind his place.

husky30-06
12-06-2010, 08:41 AM
40 deer and not one whitie!!!!!!!:cry: good on ya. Ya stu is a great guy and knows what he is doing!!!!