PDA

View Full Version : Birds way up high...

mungojeerie
12-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Just a quick question, I often find that when birds are low flying or even relatively high I can get them to either decoy or bank and fly by to check things out...

But some birds are bloody high, I have never been able to sway a single one of them...

Do others find this too? are they too high to see/hear me? (I find this unlikely) are they on a mission, flying straight and high to where they want to go with no thoughts of a pit stop?...

Do any of the these really high birds come down and into your decoys?

I should add, I usually only have 8-12 decoys out as I only have a dozen at the moment... more to come when I can.

fowlweather
12-15-2010, 12:49 PM
ya i have the same thing sometimes. those ducks know where they are going and wont stop. sometimes if the conditions are right. windy rainy etc they will just B-line it in. You can try on those up high ones. they sometimes break off and when that happens i see it as a great accomplishment. i see you are a junior member also. wherebouts do you hunt? and do you hunt geese also?

12-15-2010, 03:52 PM
those birds are on a b-line somewhere and most of the time won't even look at you. however it is a good time to practice your calling. whats the worst that could happen?

sneg
12-15-2010, 10:13 PM
agree with 870. However sometimes see them turn around when use "come back " call sequence.

Crazy_Farmer
12-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Any bird that doesn't decoy into my spread is considered to be migrating south. Hence the reason for it not coming in... :wink:

mungojeerie
12-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Fowl language suggested to me that it was his experience that these "high flyers" are birds that have been shot at a few times and they just keep climbing higher until they are at a safe distance and that's the height they travel at. Sounds like a sound theory to me.

Phreddy
12-16-2010, 09:32 AM
I've always believed that migratory birds do so in stages, with stopovers at various places where they rest up, regroup and prepare for the next stage of their migration. Usually they raft up on large bodies of water during the day and fly in to the fields to feed in the evening, which accounts for the lower flights, and the birds that are on the next stage of their migration tend to fly higher and straighter as they are operating on instinct more than need. Could be wrong, but makes sense to me.

TheProvider
12-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Birds way up high are migrating. Depends how high they are though that your saying. Sometimes they'll fly a little higher depending on how far the feeding area is away from the resting area. Specially if they've been shot at and they need to fly a ways to the field they'll go up high and not give your spread a second look. Geese are gonna land where they wanna and where they know food is. Hence the importance of scouting. Not only scouting the proper field that they are in but the general location they are in the field. Specially if they've been eating in the field for a day or two