PDA

View Full Version : Quads in bedding areas

4pointer91
12-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I went out with my bow this morning for a good hike and hunt in a local wintering area for deer. After hiking a good half hour uphill I decided to check out a ridge I thought should have some bedding areas. I found bedding areas alright but what I didn't expect to see were quad tracks running next to and in some cases over the beds.

This really makes me mad, don't these people understand the stupidity of what their doing? This is a wintering area for mule deer, it is not to be disrupted :evil:.

StoneChaser
12-05-2010, 10:25 PM
So walking through a bedding area in a predatory fashion looking to stick a buck isn't going to disrupt them?

A loudly approaching quad will put much less stress on them than getting spooked at 10yds when you jump them from their beds!

Some people will find anything to bitch about when they come home empty handed (you're likely more pissed about hiking all that and getting scooped).....

Buckmeister
12-05-2010, 10:38 PM
This really makes me mad, don't these people understand the stupidity of what their doing? This is a wintering area for mule deer, it is not to be disrupted :evil:.

I live on a very large tract of land that is wintering grounds for mule deer. There are roads and trails all over. Sometimes the deer will bed right on a road if it is not being used. Currently there is logging going on nearby and permission has been given for the logging crews and trucks to pass through the land. The deer get disturbed about every 1/2 hour or so every work day for the last month and 1/2. Yet...the deer don't seem to be very bothered by it. I was out on my quad today and just so happened to drive over a bed when I crested a hill and I didn't see it there. Remember, I am on private property and can go where I please. The deer don't seem to mind too much.

I don't see much difference between walking through a bedding area or driving through one....however, I would prefer to walk through one. Either way, we are still disturbing their habitat.

M.Dean
12-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Is there Quad Restrictions in the area? As long as the guy on the Quad didn't run over the animals I can't see anything wrong? There's no Quad Restrictions around here, so I can go pretty well where ever I like! Who ever was riding up there had pretty much the same rights to be there as you!

Ozone
12-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Quick question for you: What would disturb you more?
A) Person driving buy you
B) Person trying to sneak up on you to kill you

hunter1993ap
12-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Quick question for you: What would disturb you more?
A) Person driving buy you
B) Person trying to sneak up on you to kill you

Both situations the people going by are trying to kill the animal.

recoil
12-05-2010, 11:11 PM
I would be more concerned if it were wolf or cougar track instead of quad tracks.

Could be an old hunter who cant walk anymore and was using it to recover a downed animal, or just someone that is too lazy to walk, who knows.

mark
12-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Were these quads on an old road, or "quad trail" ??? If so, no big deal!
Or tearing up ceinosis patch's???
I see lots of this in shed hunting season and it piss's me off!

Caveman
12-05-2010, 11:29 PM
For the most part I agree with you 4pointer91. It a pisser when you hike into an area only to find some, "too fat to walk slob" has to cut his own trail in on a quad. I assume there were no trails other than game trails until now. If there was a well used quad trail that would be different. Why people think that if a quad can go there then they should. Contrary to what Mr Dean says, there are Quad restrictions around Kamloops, because people can't respect the marked trails and insist to use the protected grasslands. Areas are closed for motor vehicles because people abuse them. Most are not hunters and we pay for it just the same. I'd be willing to bet there was a road only several hundred yards away that the quad rider could have walked in from. That I would have no problem with, but to cut a trail where there was never one before I do. Just my $0.02

4pointer91
12-05-2010, 11:48 PM
The quad tracks I'm referring to exited off of an existing quad trail onto terrain only containing game trails. I'm not saying there's currently a law against doing what I saw I just don't think it's very responsible, especially in an area that is used primarily as a mule deer wintering area. Walking into such an area on foot does not cause ground damage like a quad does.

DMAN009
12-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Both situations the people going by are trying to kill the animal.

How do you know this?

Why can't everyone just share the land??? I don't get it.

I've been 4x4ing in the mountains in the wintertime and came across snowmobilers. They yelled at me for driving on a FSR because it screwed up their tracks. I understand because I have snowmobiled before but it is a FSR. It doesn't belong to them and it doesn't belong to me. So who is wrong?

Been dirtbiking up veddar mountain. Went up a random trail that I had been on weeks before and suddenly there was a bunch of ladders and jumps and weird crap built all over the trail. Ran into a mountain biker and he tore a strip off me. Said it was a mountain bike trail. Well I have been dirt biking up there long enough to know that those trails were cut by dirt bikers.

Of course ruining a habitat is wrong. Don't get me wrong. There is a difference in passing by and doing donuts in the muck.

Share the wilderness. and goodluck next time.

Fixit
12-06-2010, 12:47 AM
sounds like you need to buy some private property so you can do as you please on it.

otherwise too bad, you'll have to share with everyone

hunter1947
12-06-2010, 02:41 AM
This is one reason why I don't like quads http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif.

Sure I have a quad but I never take it off spur logging roads ,I only use this quad to get me further back into a growen up road then get off and hoof it on foot..

People using there quads have to be more considerate when the are back into the bush and keep there quads on roads and don't take them into no road areas..

Jagermeister
12-06-2010, 02:51 AM
"I've been 4x4ing in the mountains in the wintertime and came across snowmobilers. They yelled at me for driving on a FSR because it screwed up their tracks. I understand because I have snowmobiled before but it is a FSR. It doesn't belong to them and it doesn't belong to me. So who is wrong?"

It is unlawful for a snowmobile to be operating on an FSR, plowed or not if it can be deemed passable with 4X4 with chains. I'm a sledder and that is the law as it applies to me.

AT&T
12-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Quads allow you to cover alot of ground. Also the visibility is amazing compared to a truck. Personally I (hate) them. Not to often I see hunters coming into our valley that dont have them anymore. Rip the shit out of everything like it was some urban mentality out to create as much damage as possible in their recreational holiday from the city. Yuck. Quads serve a purpose for sure. Easier on your truck and great for getting dead animals out of the bush. I would not worry to much about quads driving past animal beds though. They have good ears and are used to human activity. It is easy for me to get away without being seen by a quad hunter. It is much easier for deer and elk to do the same thing.

trigger
12-06-2010, 08:16 AM
What posses me off is the fact that some people are so frikken lazy they dont ever get off their quads. I wish there were more quad restrictions when it comes to hunting

Piperdown
12-06-2010, 08:16 AM
This is one reason why I don't like quads http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif.

Sure I have a quad but I never take it off spur logging roads ,I only use this quad to get me further back into a growen up road then get off and hoof it on foot..

People using there quads have to be more considerate when the are back into the bush and keep there quads on roads and don't take them into no road areas..

BINGO! Stay to the trails and get off and walk to explore other areas.

OOBuck
12-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Someone needs a cry towel.. :lol:

husky30-06
12-06-2010, 08:36 AM

HERE HERE.............i was out on the weekend for a final walk, about 50km. I was lucky enough to travel onto private land, i saw 40 deer and one big a$$ mulie. the best part was that there was no "puttputtputt" of a quad and the only hunter i saw was over a mile away. it was beautiful up there and not one quad track. the land owner let me go only because i did walk not drive. nature is quiet, why can we not be also!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

takla1
12-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Did you ever think that maybe someone harvested an animal in that particular area and used the quad to recover it.Ive done that many times as i like to hike into relatively unaccessable ares looking for game and theres been many occasions where ive shot game then hiked back and found a way to get the machine into the kill site,usually over never before accessed terrain with atv

Glenny
12-06-2010, 09:28 AM
The quad tracks I'm referring to exited off of an existing quad trail onto terrain only containing game trails. I'm not saying there's currently a law against doing what I saw I just don't think it's very responsible, especially in an area that is used primarily as a mule deer wintering area. Walking into such an area on foot does not cause ground damage like a quad does.
Personally I like to hump the hills on foot but if I feel like riding my quad I will. Maybe they missed the "Mule Deer Bedding zone" signs.:neutral:

Sleep Robber
12-06-2010, 10:12 AM

If I wanted to stick to the roads only, I'd sell the quad and just use my 4x4. I bought my quad for going "off" roads. That's what their made for. People have quads for all types of reasons, mine is to get places I can't get to in my truck. If you only want to use your quad for doing the putt putt thing down the cat grade, all the power to ya, but that's not for me.

I'm not gonna tear up the ranchers land that I have permission to be on, or crown land for that matter. But I sure as hell aint gonna use it just for cruising the side roads. Like I said, that's what my truck is for, and if I'm in an area that has deer beds, I'm already on my feet with my gun in hand and the quad is parked, and hidden in the bush.

savagecanuck
12-06-2010, 10:32 AM
What posses me off is the fact that some people are so frikken lazy they dont ever get off their quads. I wish there were more quad restrictions when it comes to hunting
Poor grammer pisses most of us off!
I get off my guad all the time to pee:mrgreen:

elkdom
12-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I went out with my bow this morning for a good hike and hunt in a local wintering area for deer. After hiking a good half hour uphill I decided to check out a ridge I thought should have some bedding areas. I found bedding areas alright but what I didn't expect to see were quad tracks running next to and in some cases over the beds.

QUIET! MULE DEER ASLEEP! DO NOT DISTURB!
PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE ON THE MULE DEER!

did you grow up in Disneyland?:?

gitnadoix
12-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Its all about where you draw your own line, be it Truck, jetboat, Quad, Horse, feet, helicopter.......if its currently legal it means that

A) There is really no additional impact from it or

B) Enough people have not complained about it yet to get a law brought in to deal with it....

As for ATV's off of the established roads it does and always will leave a mark. In Alpine and Swamps it should be a no brainer that you do not do it. Sadly some will continue to root around in these areas and not just hunters untill the machines are no longer allowed off of the roads in your area period. When the new licence plate rules come in it will start a domino effect ........

M.Dean
12-06-2010, 12:04 PM
I own a Quad because it gets me back into places that even you don't go!!! You bet I hunt the same trails you walk, I drive by bedding area's, I even drive by area's where the deer screw!!! I've driven right up to Moose, and Deer, I've had Bear 50 feet from my Quad! There's not many places me and my trusty Quad don't go! If a Quad track pisses you off and if seeing a tire track in the bush makes you rant and rave and jump up and down, I honestly don't think you should be in possession of a Fire Arm! When I ride my Quad all over hell's half acre, I don't try to "Rip up " the ground, I respect the land the same as you whiners, maybe more!!! Why is it because you slip on your little hiking boots, Don your new shiny pack and walk a mile it makes you feel so much God Dam better than me??? You hike because you can walk!!! I ride my Quad because I can't walk!!! There's special area's set aside for you whining hikers that don't like to share Public Land, there called Provincial Parks!!! You should have "Quad Free Hikes" in there!!!

goatdancer
12-06-2010, 12:05 PM
If you drive your quad carefully and responsibly, the impact is negligible. This means don't go ripping thru wet or sensitive areas. Have you ever seen the damage that cattle cause? Or mountain bikes? Or horses? What really po's me is those inconsiderate hunters that walk in for 5km and sneak up on my spot when I have quaded into there.............

CanuckShooter
12-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I own a Quad because it gets me back into places that even you don't go!!! You bet I hunt the same trails you walk, I drive by bedding area's, I even drive by area's where the deer screw!!! I've driven right up to Moose, and Deer, I've had Bear 50 feet from my Quad! There's not many places me and my trusty Quad don't go! If a Quad track pisses you off and if seeing a tire track in the bush makes you rant and rave and jump up and down, I honestly don't think you should be in possession of a Fire Arm! When I ride my Quad all over hell's half acre, I don't try to "Rip up " the ground, I respect the land the same as you whiners, maybe more!!! Why is it because you slip on your little hiking boots, Don your new shiny pack and walk a mile it makes you feel so much God Dam better than me??? You hike because you can walk!!! I ride my Quad because I can't walk!!! There's special area's set aside for you whining hikers that don't like to share Public Land, there called Provincial Parks!!! You should have "Quad Free Hikes" in there!!!

X2......quad track free too....:mrgreen:

steel_ram
12-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Lazy mechanized "game shooters" tend to get testy when you call them up on it. :) Some are just little boys with big toys.

Yes I would have to say the hunter that pursues game on foot, is a "better" sportsman, that may be just my opinion though. Going by many pictures posted on this site, hunting's been pretty good along the roadways.

Report any misuse of Quads, whether it be sneaking behind locked gates on private land or damaging the environment. Putting up behind and passing someone on foot is just a matter of manners. No law against bad manners.

AT&T
12-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Mr Dean. How will your quad go places you cant go on foot? Now I understand why Elk hunting in the Okanagan is too hard. Fresh air, good boots and elk on packboards is not a crime. Is it?

oldschoolguy
12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Quads in bedding places? Beds in quadding places

Sleep Robber
12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Lazy mechanized "game shooters" tend to get testy when you call them up on it. :) Some are just little boys with big toys.

Yes I would have to say the hunter that pursues game on foot, is a "better" sportsman, that may be just my opinion though. Going by many pictures posted on this site, hunting's been pretty good along the roadways.

Report any misuse of Quads, whether it be sneaking behind locked gates on private land or damaging the environment. Putting up behind and passing someone on foot is just a matter of manners. No law against bad manners.

If I want to road hunt, I'll use my nice warm truck, not my quad, and it's probably because I have my wife with me, and she's not into hunting the ground I usually like to go to. I'll use my quad to get closer to places that I want to hunt on foot. Makes it easier for me to get the game out, just like people on horses or jet boats do. Not everybody hunts off their quads, people that think they do are just being ignorant or totally naive to that fact.

Most of the "whiners" are probably too cheap to buy a quad in the first place. But if they were offered to use one, they'd more likely than not, jump at the chance. Their also probably the same "whiners" who are afraid of scratching their nice Super Duty's or whatever too.

If I'm going to a certain place to hunt while on my quad, and I see someone on foot that is ahead of me, I'll turn around and go somewhere else, just like the majority would.

There's always a few bad apples in every box, but there's a lot of different kinds of apples too, and the Anti Quad Gang is just that, "a different kind", and their box is usually full as far as I'm concerned.

happygilmore
12-06-2010, 01:58 PM
We use the tools we have available to us to the best of our abilities! if you think your better because you walk! why are you using a rifle with optics? or a modern bow? if I pickup a rock and a stick and get an animal does that make me a better hunter? Did you walk the whole way or drive part way? ugh live and lets hunt!

Caveman
12-06-2010, 01:58 PM
If I want to road hunt, I'll use my nice warm truck, not my quad, and it's probably because I have my wife with me, and she's not into hunting the ground I usually like to go to. I'll use my quad to get closer to places that I want to hunt on foot. Makes it easier for me to get the game out, just like people on horses or jet boats do. Not everybody hunts off their quads, people that think they do are just being ignorant or totally naive to that fact.

Most of the "whiners" are probably too cheap to buy a quad in the first place. But if they were offered to use one, they'd more likely than not, jump at the chance. Their also probably the same "whiners" who are afraid of scratching their nice Super Duty's or whatever too.

If I'm going to a certain place to hunt while on my quad, and I see someone on foot that is ahead of me, I'll turn around and go somewhere else, just like the majority would.

There's always a few bad apples in every box, but there's a lot of different kinds of apples too, and the Anti Quad Gang is just that, "a different kind", and their box is usually full as far as I'm concerned.

I have a quad, but prefer to use it mostly to get me places that a truck likely won't go. I then favor top walk into areas that even quads don't belong. Yes I use it to retrieve game as I need it. The argument here is more why the quads had to be in the bedding area in the first place? Much for the same reasons that there are restrictions, such as region 7, or deactivated roads, the Kootenays, because the quads are used to take you where you were never meant to be. The more this gets abused the more restrictions will be implemented. I'm certainly not "Anti Quad", other wise I would never have bought one, but I also try and respect the environment I access, to limit the impact the quad will have. Once one quad goes in, there's a spot for all to go. Should it be there? In most cases no!

CanuckShooter
12-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I have a quad, but prefer to use it mostly to get me places that a truck likely won't go. I then favor top walk into areas that even quads don't belong. Yes I use it to retrieve game as I need it. The argument here is more why the quads had to be in the bedding area in the first place? Much for the same reasons that there are restrictions, such as region 7, or deactivated roads, the Kootenays, because the quads are used to take you where you were never meant to be. The more this gets abused the more restrictions will be implemented. I'm certainly not "Anti Quad", other wise I would never have bought one, but I also try and respect the environment I access, to limit the impact the quad will have. Once one quad goes in, there's a spot for all to go. Should it be there? In most cases no!

With all the environmental damaged by logging, mining, road building, and urban expansion is the minimal damage done by atv's and snowmobiles a real concern in most areas...or is it just the foot in the door for the anti atv/snowmachine nazis??

steel_ram
12-06-2010, 02:11 PM

Not even close, mind I won't go into debt, or waste my valued funds on toys and ego boosting trucks.

Many actually enjoy hard work of hunting on foot and then more so the reward at the end, hopefully these rare opportunities not being ruined by a man on a machine abusing tecnological shortcuts. My opinion is just that.

Anyways, no opinions changed here, just keep your machines out of sensitive areas PLEASE.

steel_ram
12-06-2010, 02:15 PM
With all the environmental damaged by logging, mining, road building, and urban expansion is the minimal damage done by atv's and snowmobiles a real concern in most areas...or is it just the foot in the door for the anti atv/snowmachine nazis??

Oh sorry, I guess it's OK then. LOL.

Sleep Robber
12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
I have a quad, but prefer to use it mostly to get me places that a truck likely won't go. I then favor top walk into areas that even quads don't belong. Yes I use it to retrieve game as I need it. The argument here is more why the quads had to be in the bedding area in the first place?

I use mine for exactly the same purpose.

I have however seen bedding areas that are basically in and amongst the jack pine etc, almost right beside some horse and quad trails that are there from ranch hands doing their jobs and what not. These areas are used by hunters that have permission to use quads all the time, and I don't see a problem with that. Deer don't bed down in the same bed every night.

Caveman
12-06-2010, 02:19 PM
We use the tools we have available to us to the best of our abilities! if you think your better because you walk! why are you using a rifle with optics? or a modern bow? if I pickup a rock and a stick and get an animal does that make me a better hunter? Did you walk the whole way or drive part way? ugh live and lets hunt!

I personally don't think anyone is claiming to be a better hunter than the next guy. We are having more and more road restrictions crammed down our throats because of all the user groups, 4X4'rs, recreational dirt bike and quad riders and hunters themselves, damaging the environment. They have there place don't get me wrong, but if we continue down this path, we will have more. Maybe in the end there will be so many restrictions, that there will be no where to use them. Knowing you're from the Kamloops area, I'm sure you've seen the damage and changes in access allowed around here. Take a drive up Noble and look at the area at the 2.5 km mark. I can't believe it hasn't been shut down completely. At least it is somewhat contained to that area now that all the grassland surrounding it has been posted restricting access

Caveman
12-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I use mine for exactly the same purpose.

I have however seen bedding areas that are basically in and amongst the jack pine etc, almost right beside some horse and quad trails that are there from ranch hands doing their jobs and what not. These areas are used by hunters that have permission to use quads all the time, and I don't see a problem with that. Deer don't bed down in the same bed every night.

Not much you're going to do with established trails, it's where there are no trails that is the issue, IMHO!

Sleep Robber
12-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Not much you're going to do with established trails, it's where there are no trails that is the issue, IMHO!

I'm on foot, and packin !!! Pretty hard to do the sneak attack on a 700 Grizzly :mrgreen:

Caveman
12-06-2010, 02:27 PM

At the end of the day, who is going to be the easiest to shut down? I think you know the answer. All the big boys have to be able to show the enviormental impact that their operations will have and they will also be directed on how to leave it when they pull out. Are you prepared to go out and reseed the grasslands or replant the trails you cut. I doubt it. :wink:

M.Dean
12-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Holy Cow, I didn't know there were so many self centered, righteous, pompous, egotistical Hiking Hunters on this site! It's my dream to be as perfect as some of these guys!!! Boy, if I could just shoot a nice Big Bu-----, well, no, I don't think very many of them have shot Big Bucks,or anything else for that matter! I'm starting to think a lot of them are just blowing sand out there ass's because they walk off the road a bit!!! Dear God you guys, the damage done by a Quad is zero compared to what Big Company's are doing to this planet!!! Zoom in on Google Earth to the exact spot where theses Quad tracks are!!! Can you see them??? What do you see??? Do you see roads??? Do you see clear cut logging??? Do you see a mine site, one of the Biggest in the F***ing World??? Zoom in more, can you see the Quad track yet??? In a season the track will be completely gone, you'll never know it's there! But, the roads are there forever, as is the Mining, the clear cuts and the Ski hills Just because you've discovered some grass disturbed or a few rocks over turned from a Quad, it's not the end of the Earth, just keep hiking, stop and eat your Granola Bars and Drink your Red Bull and don't worry your little brain thinking the Sky is Falling!!! There's some dam fine Hunters on this site, some are Members, some just like to read the stories and look at the pic's of big bucks, Sheep etc and not get involved with all the B.Shit that go's on between some members. I honestly respect a man that can hike to the top of a mountain, set up camp and live on what he packed in for 10 days! Then hike out with a Dall on his back, or maybe one of the biggest 4 Points we've ever seen! I respect a man that can leave the truck in the morning, hike all day and return after dark! I would never say a bad word about most hunters I know, but when someone starts complaining about the way I hunt, or how I hunt I get a little Pissed off!!!

Sleep Robber
12-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Holy Cow, I didn't know there were so many self centered, righteous, pompous, egotistical Hiking Hunters on this site! It's my dream to be as perfect as some of these guys!!! Boy, if I could just shoot a nice Big Bu-----, well, no, I don't think very many of them have shot Big Bucks,or anything else for that matter! I'm starting to think a lot of them are just blowing sand out there ass's because they walk off the road a bit!!! Dear God you guys, the damage done by a Quad is zero compared to what Big Company's are doing to this planet!!! Zoom in on Google Earth to the exact spot where theses Quad tracks are!!! Can you see them??? What do you see??? Do you see roads??? Do you see clear cut logging??? Do you see a mine site, one of the Biggest in the F***ing World??? Zoom in more, can you see the Quad track yet??? In a season the track will be completely gone, you'll never know it's there! But, the roads are there forever, as is the Mining, the clear cuts and the Ski hills Just because you've discovered some grass disturbed or a few rocks over turned from a Quad, it's not the end of the Earth, just keep hiking, stop and eat your Granola Bars and Drink your Red Bull and don't worry your little brain thinking the Sky is Falling!!! There's some dam fine Hunters on this site, some are Members, some just like to read the stories and look at the pic's of big bucks, Sheep etc and not get involved with all the B.Shit that go's on between some members. I honestly respect a man that can hike to the top of a mountain, set up camp and live on what he packed in for 10 days! Then hike out with a Dall on his back, or maybe one of the biggest 4 Points we've ever seen! I respect a man that can leave the truck in the morning, hike all day and return after dark! I would never say a bad word about most hunters I know, but when someone starts complaining about the way I hunt, or how I hunt I get a little Pissed off!!!

Yup pisses me off too :evil: Maybe the quad haters should leave their caulk boots at home next time too, they might damage the ground they "walk" on. :roll: :mrgreen:

Caveman
12-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Not implying these are hunters, but yes you can see it from Google earth. No I am not all high and mighty if any of this is directed at me. But if any of my comments are pissing you off, maybe there's a reason. :wink: Don't take this so serious! It is supposed to be a friendly debate :-D

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/Grasslands.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/Noble.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/Noble2.jpg

bucktrack
12-06-2010, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't worry about a quad track or two, but keep an eye on the free loafing cattle. has anyone ever seen the hill sides after a season of grazing. dirt turned over, trampled bushes. they are potentially more damaging. my .02 cents.

then what about the logging roads. Areas that I hunt used to never have logging roads. There are now spurs every where, even though the bedding areas.

12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/Noble2.jpg

This one was definatly because of road hunters!!! Look, the roads follow the treeline. The best possible feeding area. The only thing a deer needs after sleeping is a good breakfast..:mrgreen:

Gentlemen,,,,, we should all share the forrest. There is enough out there for all of us to be happy in it.

270WIN
12-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I have read most of this post and not sure were it was going. Just my .02 but if your hunting by quad, truck or foot does it realy matter as long as your injoying your self. Sure I argee you better your odds by hiking in but that would be my choice, and if I hiked all the way in and seen a quad there as long as there no rule it cant be there then I guess I am out of luck and was beaten to the spot. B.C. is a big place and being hunters these days we are slowly becoming a minority and if we start trashing the they way ever one hunts it going to make it worse. I bug my dad all the time as he likes to walk but he also likes his quad and he drives it alot. guess he more of a road hunter. His way of hunting differs from mine as i like to hike or sit were my dad will get up and get to his spot before light usaly a cut block and he will sit there normal on his quad till it get light then if nothing there he will drive to the next cut block sit there for a bit and so one maybe take a walk up a spure road or somthing but you know what wether he seen somthing or shot something nor seen nothing at all he always returns to camp with a smile, IS THAT NOT WHAT ARE SPORT\HOBBIES about having fun and getting out injoying it any way we want. Nine times out of ten it not hunters trashing up the trailes or alpine on there quads.For some people quads are great as it gets them to places trucks or there feet cant get them too wether it bad back or age but should that stop them from going there and injoying what they injoy doing hunting. Far as driving through a bedding area with a quad well i have seen deer bedded on the side of the road. Also I sure there were lots of winter ranges that there are now farms and home steads on think that is a lot harder on the deer then a quad driving through.

12-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I have read most of this post and not sure were it was going. Just my .02 but if your hunting by quad, truck or foot does it realy matter as long as your injoying your self. Sure I argee you better your odds by hiking in but that would be my choice, and if I hiked all the way in and seen a quad there as long as there no rule it cant be there then I guess I am out of luck and was beaten to the spot. B.C. is a big place and being hunters these days we are slowly becoming a minority and if we start trashing the they way ever one hunts it going to make it worse. I bug my dad all the time as he likes to walk but he also likes his quad and he drives it alot. guess he more of a road hunter. His way of hunting differs from mine as i like to hike or sit were my dad will get up and get to his spot before light usaly a cut block and he will sit there normal on his quad till it get light then if nothing there he will drive to the next cut block sit there for a bit and so one maybe take a walk up a spure road or somthing but you know what wether he seen somthing or shot something nor seen nothing at all he always returns to camp with a smile, IS THAT NOT WHAT ARE SPORT\HOBBIES about having fun and getting out injoying it any way we want. Nine times out of ten it not hunters trashing up the trailes or alpine on there quads.For some people quads are great as it gets them to places trucks or there feet cant get them too wether it bad back or age but should that stop them from going there and injoying what they injoy doing hunting. Far as driving through a bedding area with a quad well i have seen deer bedded on the side of the road. Also I sure there were lots of winter ranges that there are now farms and home steads on think that is a lot harder on the deer then a quad driving through.

You got it.
My dad has walked more that most in his hunting career. He has a nice quad now that he drives around on because shooting stuff isnt the biggest thing on his mind now. It is hunting without getting a sore body from hiking all day. And in the 2 seasons he's been quad hunting he has shot a nice bull moose and a 3pt mulie.

Share the bush and try to get pissed off less. It makes the day better

Husq
12-06-2010, 05:20 PM

True, but we live in an age of entitlement where people want something for nothing immediately.

Heaven forbid if somebody has to do a bit of leg work.

And Yes, a person walking is far less intrusive than a motorized vehicle.

Sleep Robber
12-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Remember way back when, when there were no quads. ??

I wish sometimes that I could turn back the clock, where cars and trucks were made out of steel, not plastic like the cheap crap today. Or when you HAD to bust your a$$ to go hunting in a certain area. The old days like when you had that monster buck on the hood and the town p.e.t.a broad didn't shreek, cause she didn't exist, or when a good old fashioned whore wore a real fur coat, Stuff like that I miss. I could go on and on, but what's the point.

Yes I own a quad, and I use it for hunting more times than not. I absolutely love the thing for what it can do for me. But I could also take it or leave it. I also know where to draw the line when it comes to where I go with it.

Caveman
12-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Remember way back when, when there were no quads. ??

I wish sometimes that I could turn back the clock, where cars and trucks were made out of steel, not plastic like the cheap crap today. Or when you HAD to bust your a$$ to go hunting in a certain area. The old days like when you had that monster buck on the hood and the town p.e.t.a broad didn't shreek, cause she didn't exist, or when a good old fashioned whore wore a real fur coat, Stuff like that I miss. I could go on and on, but what's the point.

Yes I own a quad, and I use it for hunting more times than not. I absolutely love the thing for what it can do for me. But I could also take it or leave it. I also know where to draw the line when it comes to where I go with it.

Hell!, I remember when very few people had 4X4's. the old man with his Ford 3/4 ton straight "6" taking a run at a hill just to ensure he had the momentum to make to the top. I don't remember doing much road hunting back then, but I do remember packing a lot of meat out with mu dad, uncle and cousins. The only road hunting I remember was for chickens

steel_ram
12-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Remember when hunting area's in central BC had a 6 week GOS for any Bull Moose.

There were places where only newbies or fools would dare shoot a moose, area's where animals found sanctuary in inaccessible area's. There were no fewer hunters back then.

Now we have roads, trails, 4x4's and every tool/toy imaginable to make even some of the most remote places easily accessible.

We now one week.

Caveman
12-06-2010, 08:00 PM
........or a GOS for cow moose in Region 3. ................or just buying a deer tag, no distinction between mule deer or whitetail

Sleep Robber
12-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Stubby bottles of Lucky lager :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Caveman
12-06-2010, 08:14 PM
..........Baby Duck!! that the ladies used to drink

deer nut
12-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Find a spot way in the bush that the quads can't reach! Then let them drive the game to you!! I hate quads when I've spent an hour or more trudging up a deactivated road to get to my spot and have a quad rip by me. Then, in truth, I really WANT one!

Jagermeister
12-06-2010, 09:59 PM
M.Dean pretty well sums it up for me with all his points.

The younger hike only hunters of today remind me of the quasi-purist flyfishermen that appeared out of the woodwork after the movie, "A River Runs Through It." Like they just discovered fishing or hunting.

I was hunting west of Quesnel a few years back, not long after I got my quad. I had gone up an old deactivated road that meandered up the side of the mountain through a clear-cut area. The lower part of the road passed a large swamp and there were good vantage points from the road that afforded viewing of the swamp. The time was in mid October and the water was frozen and no self respecting moose would be caught dead browsing there as breaking through the ice would be most uncomfortable on the lower extemities of the their legs. I knew this and was more interested in the upper elevations where there was a tree line. I had seen moose come out of the trees to browse on the shrubbery in the clear-cut. I didn't see one that morning so I was on my way back down. As I neared the swamp, I saw a hunter sitting on a stump keeping watch. I kept quadding down the road and stopped when I was about 15' away from him. I turned off the machine and asked him if he was seeing anything. At the sound of my voice, he jumped just about leaving his skin. I asked if he was deaf and he said no, good hearing. He could not hear the sound of the exhaust because it was away from him and the quad was not throttled up. Most hunters that use quads do not race around but gently go through the woods. There is no time for looking about if you're moving too fast, you just pass too many animals.
Another time, I borrowed my son's quad so that a visitor at my place could go for a ride with me. We travelled up the hill and through the forest. Eventually, we turned around and came back about ¼ mile, lo and behold, bull, cow and calf moose just off the trail staring back at us. We passed them on the way in and after we passed, they must have heard us and stood up to have a look. They probably didn't hear us as we returned. I had a few more of those type of experiences other times too.

Caveman
12-06-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry Jagermeister, but I find it hard to believe that the guy didn't hear you coming. The guy was probably power napping!:wink: I can remember sitting with a moose just on the other side of some willows and hearing a quad for about three minutes coming down the trail. Funny thing, right after he got off he tried calling a moose. About three minutes later he walked right up to me to say Hi!, spooking said moose. I did not see it, but elected to follow to hopfully get a chance to. Turns out I ended up with a bull about an hour later that I called out after spotting the cow I had earlier been toying with and trailed.
I will say, I have walked up on many hunters sitting in the bush. As for the younger hike only hunter, I am far from that. At 48 I still walk way more than I quad or road hunt, because that was how I was taught, that, and I can't stand sitting in the truck for much more than an hour. Not to take anything away from others, but if a guy has restrictions due to age, health issues, etc.,there is plenty of opportunity to get out and hunt and I'd be the first to encourage just that. I'll admit, I've slowed down from when I was 30, but still love to be out in the bush listening to the sounds in the trees rather than the radio. In the end, all I'm saying is that we all need to respect the resource that we all equally want to enjoy.

Buckmeister
12-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Mr Dean. How will your quad go places you cant go on foot? Now I understand why Elk hunting in the Okanagan is too hard. Fresh air, good boots and elk on packboards is not a crime. Is it?

In defence of Mr Dean, and since I can see your a new member to the site, you probably don't know that he had a real rough go at it a few years ago. As I recall, he had an injury or something that caused severe back problems. I don't know the details, but if he isn't fully recovered (and maybe never will be), I then can understand how a quad can take him places that he can no longer go on foot. Good for him!! Injuries and/or old age catch up with us all at some time or other, it's how we deal with the situation that makes the difference. We could choose to sit at home and feel sorry for ourselves, or we get out whatever way we can and make the most of it. Heck, ever hear about those people in wheelchairs who rock climb? Some of them have even made it up Mt. Everest!!!

As for me, I hunt many different areas and types of terrain. Some is best hunted on foot. Others work better with a quad. Sometimes I scout an area with a quad and then hike it later. Tearing up the land is a big no no. If everyone took it easy and acted responsibly, there would be less problems.

It's funny that no one has mentioned stand hunting on this thread. Certainly no quad used there except maybe to get you there.:smile:

Jagermeister
12-06-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm sorry Jagermeister, but I find it hard to believe that the guy didn't hear you coming. The guy was probably power napping!:wink: I can remember sitting with a moose just on the other side of some willows and hearing a quad for about three minutes coming down the trail. Funny thing, right after he got off he tried calling a moose. About three minutes later he walked right up to me to say Hi!, spooking said moose. I did not see it, but elected to follow to hopfully get a chance to. Turns out I ended up with a bull about an hour later that I called out after spotting the cow I had earlier been toying with and trailed.
I will say, I have walked up on many hunters sitting in the bush. As for the younger hike only hunter, I am far from that. At 48 I still walk way more than I quad or road hunt, because that was how I was taught, that, and I can't stand sitting in the truck for much more than an hour. Not to take anything away from others, but if a guy has restrictions due to age, health issues, etc.,there is plenty of opportunity to get out and hunt and I'd be the first to encourage just that. I'll admit, I've slowed down from when I was 30, but still love to be out in the bush listening to the sounds in the trees rather than the radio. In the end, all I'm saying is that we all need to respect the resource that we all equally want to enjoy.Take my word for it, happened as written.
I bought my first hunting licence and old .303 British Enfield all for about $18, tag and shells included. The year was 1959 and I did not need parent approval to seal the dea, that's the way it was back then. My hunting partner and I would leave home in Penticton every Saturday and Sunday at 4AM. We travelled by way of shank's pony and would make our way up past the dam on Penticton Creek to the mountain behind Campbell Mount, where the fire burned all the homes a few years ago. We would spend the day coursing about trying to nail a mulie, no white tails in that area in those days. Get back home in time to watch HNIC, only 6 teams back then. We'd repeat the process the next day. I did a lot of hiking back then. I have hiked many areas of the south Okanagan, Boundary and Similkameen. I limit my hiking these days, lungs are not what they used to be. Takes longer to get to where I want to go, hence the quad which cuts the distance.
I still hear the wind rustling the leaves in the trees, once I get to where I'm going and shut the engine off.:biggrin:

GoatGuy
12-06-2010, 11:33 PM
This is a wintering area for mule deer, it is not to be disrupted :evil:.

Better tell all the people on foot as well. :wink:

Gateholio
12-07-2010, 12:06 AM
There was a area near here that had been damaged by AT's pretty extensively. it's now been designated a "non motorized use only"

Expect to see more of this in the future, as the "bad" off roaders seem to be determined to ruin it for the "good" of roaders.

M.Dean
12-07-2010, 09:24 AM
There was a area near here that had been damaged by AT's pretty extensively. it's now been designated a "non motorized use only"

Expect to see more of this in the future, as the "bad" off roaders seem to be determined to ruin it for the "good" of roaders. I think thats whats happening in a lot of cases. Most hunters have there Quads equipped with there Guns, rope, a Saw etc, they go into the back woods to hunt, not to tear the shit out of the landscape! On the other hand you have the guys on there Souped up machines looking for the deepest mud hole or steepest hill to climb! It's really too bad that some people are so short sighted that they lump all Quad riders into the same group. Were always talking about Painting People with the same brush, and about how wrong that can be, yet here again we have a very strong example of how something like this can happen! We have a group of kids up here with Quads, they don't hunt, they drink beer and see how fast the Quads can go up and down the roads, usually towing there buddy with no helmet on a skate board behind them! These few do go into the back woods and rip the shit out of the ground, everyone up here knows it's not the hunters doing it, it's the kids. But, in the spring the grass still grows, the animals still frequent the area's where the Quads were and life does go on! Now, one the other hand, I haven't see it my self, but I've been told of Dirt Bike groups coming up from town, lots of them, 20 to 30 Bikes at a time and riding the Old Harper Ranch, now owned by the TIB, shit will hit the fan when the owners do see the trails etc. But, the Locals will be blamed and the Quad Riders! And the Bike Groups simply find a different area to ride, leaving us to take the flac!!! Now, back to Bedding Area's, What is a Bedding Area??? If every one is referring to the grass matted down where deer and moose lie for the night, well I've never seen Deer or Moose return night after night to the same spots to sleep. And, if they did, if a Quad did pass through the area, there would be very little scent or smell left on the ground, now walk through that same spot dragging your boots, see my point? Yes, hunters on Quads are accessing a lot more area's, and going farther back in the bush, but why not? I'm real sorry if some folks don't like seeing the tracks of my Quad, or hearing me come up behind them, but me and my Quad aren't leaving any time soon(i hope!), so maybe try to get along with Quad Hunters, there's lots of area's to hunt for all of us, and for one type of hunter to start throwing stones at another type of hunter is wrong, were starting to look like Carol James and the NDP!!! And that's real bad!!!

4pointer91
12-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Here's some facts on deer beds. Deer return to the same area to bed, they don't necessarily use the exact same bed each time.

http://www.zimbio.com/member/thewildgamecook/articles/1806799/DEER+BEDS

Singleshotneeded
12-07-2010, 10:24 AM
:-D I've got a quad, and I've used it to get down old trails and overgrown old logging roads...as well as retrieving game. I don't see what the issue
is, if you stick to trails of some kind with your quad that's multi-use, and
fair. I don't agree with quadding off-trails in the alpine, where it takes many years to repair quad damage, or sensitive habitat, and there are laws on the books already against damaging the environment. There's a huge network of roads, old overgrown roads, trails, etc, that we can use and not put our quadding and quad hunting at risk in future by giving the greenies ammunition to use against us.

M.Dean
12-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Quote: Several beds are used ONLY ONE TIME, though beds in the prime, most secretive locations PROBABLY see PERIODIC use. In GENERAL, White Tails return to the same GENERAL bedding area even if they ALTER there actual beds.UN Quote: Thanks for the good read 4pointer91, if you have any more articles on Deer Bed's please post them!

whitetailsheds
12-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Personally, I stick to cutlines/seismic lines and existing trails with the bike, and don't go tearing up the place.
I'll venture off to retrieve whatever critter might be back in the bush.
I'd need to have signs all over the place indicating "BEDDING AREA".
Pretty vague thread title if'n ya ask me......."Quads in bedding areas".....WTF? Bedding areas are all over the place. INCLUDING cutlines, seismic lines, quad trails, and roads for that matter!