PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated BC Hunter!!!

Jonas111
12-05-2010, 10:01 PM
I hunted a fair amount this year and I didn't see one buck. Not even one. I feel like i am going crazy. Now before you get to judgmental i will try and explain my hunting style and theory and let me know what you think i am doing wrong. I mainly hunt whitetail and mule deer.

I go on an annual hunting trip in MB and i have some good success there. I mainly tree stand hunt in a provincial park and there is little to no humans in my area all year. This year i used a buck decoy and shot the biggest buck of my hunting career. It was 150 class Whitetail and it was super exciting.

The problem i am having is I just started to hunt in BC last year and i have not even seen a buck yet. Last year i didn't put too much effort into hunting but this year I have hunted fairly hard. I tried all different styles of hunting with no success whatsoever. I tried tree stands, hiking into remote areas and sitting, quad hunting and truck hunting.

The style of hunting I enjoy the most is tree stand or blind type of hunting when you call the deer in. I am not a fan of truck or quad hunting but do it if time is an issue.

My question is what style of hunting would help me become more successful in BC? I am not asking for anyones location or anything just a style of hunting that will allow me to become mo re successful and stop waisting so much time seeing nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Sitkaspruce
12-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Tough to give specific advise as I do not know where you hunt and what for.

So what is so different between MB and BC for hunting???

If you tree stand hunt in MB, what do you look for in order to set up a stand??

Would not that same info apply here, especially for WT's???

Use what you already know and apply it here. Deer do not know any different.....

My thing I look for most is sign, fresh sign, get to know the area, really get to know it and then look for the ladies, especially in Nov and sit on them.

You should apply what you all ready know and go from there.

It will happen and besides the exploring is most of the fun!!!

Cheers

SS

Jelvis
12-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Around Kelowna? Drive around the back roads scouting for fresh tracks and trails crossing a road. Look at the dirt banks on the sides for fresh use.
Scout around in summer and see where deer activity is at it's peak.
... Talk to local sports shop personal
... Talk to moe staff
... join local gun club

... Use HBC.ca and look up the area you will be hunting .. for access information and time of season
Jel .. Road hunting is good on the fsr's and also hiking up a ridge .. good luck Jonas

M.Dean
12-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Spot and Stock! First you have to hunt a area that holds deer, if there's little sign or you don't see deer, move on. Do not still hunt if you don't know the area, you could be in a dead zone wasting your time, still hunt where you see lots of deer only! Talk to everyone you can about hunting, were they go, how they hunt, ask about deer numbers in certain area's etc. Watch were other hunts are going, if you see a truck pulled off the road or trail, you know there's a trail there or a good spot around that area. Next time you go in if there's no truck there, stop and try it. It sounds dumb, but you have to hunt deer where there's deer, you have to see animals in the area and tracks or poop or some thing. Take your truck or quad and cover some ground, learn the area's and try to find other hunters, if there locals there hunting where they know there's deer! If there the friendly type, stop and talk to them, be nice and you may learn about some good spots to hunt! Good Luck!

Jonas111
12-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I mainly hunt for deer but next year i am going to try for Elk too. This post is mainly for deer.

My plan is to find sign of deer and spend some time watching and taking pictures this spring and summer. Also going to set up some trail cameras in those areas. I am going to do some shed hunting next spring and summer to find some tree stand locations and maybe some blind locations.

One of the mistakes i was making was not actually seeing deer and trying to call them to me. I was on game trails but was unsure how fresh they were.

Once again thanks for the advice.

mark
12-05-2010, 11:22 PM
I live in the same place as you do....Ive seen around 150 bucks or more this year.....I cant understand how you could even get to the bush without at least seeing a buck???
Myself, I have very little luck with blinds or calling either!

Try road hunting....at least you will see deer, then do whatever you want!

savagecanuck
12-05-2010, 11:44 PM
I live in the same place as you do....Ive seen around 150 bucks or more this year.....I cant understand how you could even get to the bush without at least seeing a buck???

I too am from kelowna and well I did not see 150 bucks but probably at least 30.I hunt from a quad and can cover alot of ground as well as get into some remote places it would take days to walk in let alone retreive your buck.I too have had little luck calling and from blinds.I love my quad as I can usually drive right up to them without spooking them and when I am by myself[i'm 50 yrs old now] I use the quad plus winch for retreival.This year I had to pull a large 180lb WT 40' up a 60 deg slope thankfully the winch did the work.BTW hunting today I saw a nice 130-140 5x5 WT right by the high school in Coldstream @ 6:00 am too bad it was city limits and taged out as well as dark:( The bucks are there you just gotta look for them and put in some time

hunter1947
12-06-2010, 03:09 AM
#1 is to head out and scout out new areas in July and Aug .

#2 If your going to set up a tree stand make sure you are in an area that has lots of deer filtering through the area you will know this by prey scouting in the months before deer season opens.

#3 get away from sitting in a blind or tree stand ,head out and pound lots of country ,good luck next year http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

AT&T
12-06-2010, 07:56 AM
You nentioned the place you hunt in MB has little to know people. You might find it harder to do that in the Okanagan. 150 class whitetail are brutal to find especially with the amount of of quads, road hunters you find in the Okanagan. Look in Google Earth or use your eyes and find some mid elevation hillsides with good aspects and forest cover types. preferably with no access. Then climb. Find a good spot with not alot of hunters and dont go anywhere else. Just get to know that hillside. Then try another. Keep your driving to a minimum. If you want to pm me I will tell you about a place where I saw an amazing amount of elk and deer from a helicopter last year during hunting season. As I dont hunt there I dont mind helping out someone having trouble.

Ruger4
12-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Hunt the park like everyone else , its a mile from your house :mrgreen: ok maybe 2 miles :mrgreen:

BiG Boar
12-06-2010, 08:07 AM
How many full days did you put in this year? Maybe that will explain the answer.

Jonas111
12-06-2010, 08:14 AM

From what I have read over the years you (Mark) hunt more then most people. I am not surprised you have seen that many bucks. My brother hunts the close to where I am hunting and he see's bucks all the time. He actually shot a beauty Mule Deer this year. (300WSMIMPACT)

I don't quite understand why my luck has been this way this year. When I was in MB there was bucks everywhere. In my 8 day trip I probably ran into 30 bucks. Then I came home all excited and can't find a squirrel.

Road hunting isn't for me. I did a few days of road hunting this year with less success then quad hunting and walking. There is days that I don't have a lot of time and I will be forced to road hunt but I will avoid that as much as possible. I will use my quad when I can.

Now for the remainder of bow season I have no spots to go and two tags to fill. If not then I guess there is next year.

Thanks for helping out.

Jonas111
12-06-2010, 08:15 AM
How many full days did you put in this year? Maybe that will explain the answer.

I know this answer because my wife never lets me live this one down. I have hunted about 20 days in total with 12 of them being full days. Probably not a lot but my wife is ready to shoot me and hang me in the garage.

Jonas111
12-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Hunt the park like everyone else , its a mile from your house :mrgreen: ok maybe 2 miles :mrgreen:

I have been there a couple of times. Lots of tracks but didn't see anything but a couple does.

Always willing to help eh Ruger4, that's what I like about you. :grin:

Ruger4
12-06-2010, 08:22 AM
I have been there a couple of times. Lots of tracks but didn't see anything but a couple does.

Always willing to help eh Ruger4, that's what I like about you. :grin:

you betcha little buddy :mrgreen:

takla1
12-06-2010, 08:26 AM
youve had some replies stateing that you should look for deer sign when out in the back country,this can not be overstated,but i would add on the subject of sign the most important thing i look for in the beginning of deer season sept 10 are old rubs on saplings from the yr previous.That tells you mature bucks use the area juring rut!!Your probaby not going to get a bruiser buck in that area early on,maybe a spike or two point,but as the rut progresses you know the bug bucks will move in or thru...you have proof from the scrap activity from the yr before.Also look at the limited entry paper and find the regions with the most antlerless deer authorizations available...good place to start as those areas hold the most breeding does hence lots of bucks.When you narrow down a spot to go to find a south faceing cut block and hike around the edges looking for scapes about two ft up saplings,usually bucks have scrap lines,a series along a trail just off the cut block,come back and try these areas juring the rut if open. hope this helps

GoatGuy
12-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Sound more like a wt hunter than a md hunter. Buy a trail cam, move it around, find bucks, sit, shoot bucks.

Wouldn't bother buying an elk tag if you're having that much trouble with deer.

Jonas111
12-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Sound more like a wt hunter than a md hunter. Buy a trail cam, move it around, find bucks, sit, shoot bucks.

I like the whitetail hunting the most only because that's what we hunt in MB. I am still very much interested in mule deer.

As for the elk comment, i have seen more Elk this year then any other year. I also plan on educating myself over the next 9 months to put in a good effort next year.

Plus i am asking for advice on how to find more game, not telling me to just quit and don't try for elk. Im looking for a optimistic approach.

GoatGuy
12-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I like the whitetail hunting the most only because that's what we hunt in MB. I am still very much interested in mule deer.

As for the elk comment, i have seen more Elk this year then any other year. I also plan on educating myself over the next 9 months to put in a good effort next year.

Plus i am asking for advice on how to find more game, not telling me to just quit and don't try for elk. Im looking for a optimistic approach.

Let me put it this way, if you can't find a buck you won't find a 6 pt bull.

Also, if you use the spray method of looking for every species instead of one, potential for success will decrease dramatically.

There's the advice, you were the one asking.

Jonas111
12-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Let me put it this way, if you can't find a buck you won't find a 6 pt bull.

Also, if you use the spray method of looking for every species instead of one, potential for success will decrease dramatically.

There's the advice, you were the one asking.

Thanks for taking the time to lend me your optimistic advice.

I will be educating myself and try to find Elk in the early season before the early rut. I like the challenge of both Elk and deer.

Don't get me wrong here, i am frustrated but far from ready to give up. I want to learn from guys that have hunted in BC there whole life.

mark
12-06-2010, 09:32 AM

Couldnt agree more! You will trip on at least 50 bucks before you see the tail end of a legal elk disappearing!

The okanagan elk hunt is probably the worst odds of success, of anywhere in the province that one could hunt elk!

Deer on the other hand, especially right now are everywhere!!!
Dont even have to go far from city limits, get out there and good luck!

GoatGuy
12-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Couldnt agree more! You will trip on at least 50 bucks before you see the tail end of a legal elk disappearing!

The okanagan elk hunt is probably the worst odds of success, of anywhere in the province that one could hunt elk!

Deer on the other hand, especially right now are everywhere!!!
Dont even have to go far from city limits, get out there and good luck!

yeah, don't know how many bucks seen this fall, bunch of rams, couple hundred goats, couple hundred elk, and maybe a couple as in 2 legal bulls. Course don't look for them or hunt them so......

Statistically speaking, you're better off looking for a 2 pt bull moose in region 8 then you are looking for a 6 pt bull elk.

savagecanuck
12-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Personally from all my previous years hunting and scouting I do not need to go out until Nov 1st.I find early hunting to be just a scouting ,day away activity.When Nov roll around and the MD start rutting they congregate to the does.This year I watched a huge thick 4 point muley hang around this one doe as a 3 point approached.He was also aware of me after a few minutes he walked out of the ravine and dissapeared,much to my surprise he fully returned not 5 minutes later right out in the open to check on that doe.I later went down to where he dissapeared too to find he had 5 more does sittin waited for him.Point is hunt during the rut .I did not shoot him as its borderline city limits[don't need a buck that bad]This year with all the cold and snow in our favor it was too easy to get the WT's.last year with the mild weather we got 3 muleys but no WT as the rut was later.Like other guy said the Park this year with the early rut was killer.I took 2 out of there in the last 2 weeks.I also look for all the rubs,does don't make em

Jonas111
12-06-2010, 10:54 AM
This year I wasted a lot of time going out early in the season and I spent less time later. Partially because I went on a 10 day trip to MB to hunt WT. The wife was very reluctant to give me my space to hunt when I returned from my trip.

Next year I will do a lot of scouting and less hunting early and try and hunt late October and all of November instead of spending all of September and October hunting.

Good advice, keep it coming. Thanks for your time.

GoatGuy
12-06-2010, 11:03 AM
This year I wasted a lot of time going out early in the season and I spent less time later. Partially because I went on a 10 day trip to MB to hunt WT. The wife was very reluctant to give me my space to hunt when I returned from my trip.

Next year I will do a lot of scouting and less hunting early and try and hunt late October and all of November instead of spending all of September and October hunting.

Good advice, keep it coming. Thanks for your time.

Most of the bigger bucks are shot in November, but that's also because that's when most of the hunters are out looking for them. They are less 'vulnerable' but they are also unpredictable.

The biggest md buck we killed this year was at the end of september iirc, biggest bucks seen were in October.

September is my favorite month for muleys, october for sheep and november for wt.

My advice would be to hunt when you can.

Jonas111
12-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I just had a little girl 16 months ago and finding time to get out has been a little hard from time to time. But I have the wife talked into doing some hiking with me and the little one this spring and summer. Hopefully this allows me to scout early and get out hunting more later on.

Thanks again GG for all the advice.

GoatGuy
12-06-2010, 12:23 PM
I just had a little girl 16 months ago and finding time to get out has been a little hard from time to time. But I have the wife talked into doing some hiking with me and the little one this spring and summer. Hopefully this allows me to scout early and get out hunting more later on.

Thanks again GG for all the advice.

Are you looking for a big buck, any buck, white-tailed or mule?

I should have asked those questions before.

Jonas111
12-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Are you looking for a big buck, any buck, white-tailed or mule?

I should have asked those questions before.

I guess I should of specified better. I am only interested in large bucks. I passed on quite a few 4x4 bucks in MB and I would most likely pass on them here as well. We get enough WT meat in the freezer our week in MB to last the year. So the rest is just a bonus.

I am interested in getting some mounted in the future if they are big enough. I also hunt with a bow if that makes a difference.

GoatGuy
12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I guess I should of specified better. I am only interested in large bucks. I passed on quite a few 4x4 bucks in MB and I would most likely pass on them here as well. We get enough WT meat in the freezer our week in MB to last the year. So the rest is just a bonus.

I am interested in getting some mounted in the future if they are big enough. I also hunt with a bow if that makes a difference.

Ok, so you need age, dana has a thread on that somewhere on here.

Generally age is associated with few hunters, less access and fewer deer, particularly with md. This doesn't mean that some areas don't produce or that some guys don't get lucky occasionally, but they are criteria that will consistently increase your odds at finding big deer.

In terms of wt, we're dealing with a different sub-species so you don't get the size you would in the Peace or east of BC. Generally speaking, 150 around here is a really good buck. Generally you'll find the bigger bucks on the fringe of popular hunting spots, in areas with more cover. The spots most guys drive by in the Okanagan are the spots that hold bigger wt. Best way to figure out if there are big bucks in the spot you're hunting or want to hunt is to hang a trail cam and let it do the leg work for you.

Jonas111
12-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Ok, so you need age, dana has a thread on that somewhere on here.

Generally age is associated with few hunters, less access and fewer deer, particularly with md. This doesn't mean that some areas don't produce or that some guys don't get lucky occasionally, but they are criteria that will consistently increase your odds at finding big deer.

In terms of wt, we're dealing with a different sub-species so you don't get the size you would in the Peace or east of BC. Generally speaking, 150 around here is a really good buck. Generally you'll find the bigger bucks on the fringe of popular hunting spots, in areas with more cover. The spots most guys drive by in the Okanagan are the spots that hold bigger wt. Best way to figure out if there are big bucks in the spot you're hunting or want to hunt is to hang a trail cam and let it do the leg work for you.

Thats the info I am looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me.

I guess I should have been more clear from the beginning. If I was merely trying to find dink bucks I wouldn't have much trouble but I am trying to hunt to larger bucks which my experience is low in to date. With help like this it will definitely help me out for next year.

happygilmore
12-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Welcome to BC! Its alot tougher than some guys think. Ive been asked why the hell I hunt here...theres no deer. Guys who hunt in places like northern alta and kootneys... where you see 200+ deer a day and field judge the one you want cant handle going a couple days without seeing a deer.
Scouting is great, game cameras fun! but theres no guarantee the deer are gona be there come hunting season! and places where you wont find anything but a couple resident does will be booming with big bucks late november! Whities dont get me started, we had a super hot spot where we would always find a bunch of does lots of dink bucks and a few gooders! then we get organized and set up a tree stand next to a good cut, and cameras the next year no deer! dont ask me where they went, its only 10 min from my door and its like a dead zone now only a few resident deer hangin there now.
good luck

Jelvis
12-06-2010, 05:20 PM
I would suggest a way to learn to see deer when hunting, go with an experienced hunter from your area. A hunter that knows what and where to look at the right time of the season. He or she can teach you how to look also. Look deep into the forest as far as you can see into the depth, not just at the front line.
Jel .. Get involved with a local fish and game/gun club and someone will help you to become a better hunter.

silvicon
12-06-2010, 06:21 PM
My advice is:
give up 'hunting' and take up needle point!

AT&T
12-06-2010, 06:39 PM
My advice is:

Really nice. If you pm me Frustrated I will tell exactly where I saw the herd of Elk in the Okanagan from the helicopter. They shouldnt be hard to get out either. Happy to help. GEEZ guys

sawmill
12-06-2010, 06:54 PM
There is an open cow elk season here next year,swing by and I`ll show you a couple nice spots.Meat is meat.My freezers are happy.

Jonas111
12-06-2010, 08:28 PM
My advice is:

Spoken from an intelligent hunter I see. Probably from someone that couldn't lend advice because they are not smart enough.

What a douche bag thing to say. If you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything. Might make you look smart for a short period of time.

Thanks for the help none the less. :wink:

Ruger4
12-06-2010, 08:29 PM
There is an open cow elk season here next year,swing by and I`ll show you a couple nice spots.Meat is meat.My freezers are happy.

thats a fine offer sawmill and cow elk is prime freezer filler imo !!

Jonas111
12-06-2010, 08:34 PM

I might just take you up on that if the wife allows me to actually hunt a little more next year. My brother and I tried to get East a few times and it never worked out.

We are both learning about Elk more and more every year. We did see a few this year but no 6x6 yet.

Thanks for the offer.