PDA

View Full Version : Taking Your Dog Hunting

AJJ
12-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Ive read a couple of posts about guys taking thier dogs hunting. I was thinking about doing so next season. Anybody got any advise regarding this?

Thanks

Kootenai
12-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Ive read a couple of posts about guys taking thier dogs hunting. I was thinking about doing so next season. Anybody got any advise regarding this?

I will assume you mean big game and not bird hunting. Do your dogs have training in any hunting? I can't imagine taking any untrained dog into the bush while I am hunting. What a way to wreck a hunt! Now if you have trained dogs that can follow a deer track in the right direction, keep quiet, and when the deer is in sight sit while you shoot your deer. It will be a great way to hunt. Don't forget, the dogs have to be on leash when hunting any big game except cougar or bear. If you are hunting bear or cougar, be prepared to lose one as not all cougars or bears will tree. Will they bark their insane heads off once the animal is treed so you can find them, and stay under the tree to keep the animal up there?

If you have dogs like this, then go for it!

roping_tom
12-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I take mine goat and sheep hunting, he packs his own food. And at night it is very comforting knowing you have a great nose out side if a bear were to wander over. Never had a problem my dog is very well behaved he stays behind most of the time when he doesn't the shock collar reminds him.

RustyNail
12-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Invest in a Dogtra electric collar and ecollar training. I take my dog hunting all the time. She is trained for blood tracking and there is a lot of information out there about that if you are interested. She is also trained for bird retrieval. Great for tracking big game.

mijinkal
12-05-2010, 09:57 PM
I have a Deutsch Kurzhaar pup and I took him hunting with me every trip this fall. I took him on a lot of long walks along some heavily used game trails in some thick bush. I was a lot louder than the dog was without a doubt and I was pretty quiet. He behaved exactly as I wanted him to.
He put me on some pretty fresh tracks and brought me to a few bedding areas but we didn't see a single deer or moose while he was with us.
I don't know if it was just luck, chance or if it had something to do with the dog, but I spent an equal amount of time without the dog and I saw 6 moose and 26 deer.
He won't be going on many more hikes looking for big game with me if the stat's stay the same. I'll take him out to track them if needed every time.
Birds are another story, It's like giving the dog some crack and he can't have enough.

4pointer91
12-05-2010, 10:01 PM
First of all what type of dog do you have? Not all dogs are suitable to take alongside you on leash hunting. At the very least the dog must understand and execute the commands "heal, whoa & stay".

You would not want the dog pulling you off balance on a shot (rifle or bow) so the training is very important. I know I spent months on training and came away with a good hunting companion.

I took my GWP hunting deer on leash, he had a great nose and would point to where the deer was before I could see it. On the negative he was terrible to sit with, as soon as a deer made itself visible he would shake and make noise ...I lost a couple 4-points on that account.

greenhorn
12-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Take mine about 50% of the time. Only advice I would have is get a quiet collar and quiet id tags. Otherwise, if you're on foot, the "jingle" of the dog tags would be a dead giveaway that you're around.

Also, if your dog doesn't heel on command, even when you see some game, I wouldn't do it. My pup took off on me once and it was really hard to get him back. In the end, I trained him on our regular walks to heel whenever we see a deer.

But if you're truck hunting.... none of this really matters...

green machine
12-05-2010, 10:18 PM
i have a german shepard x border collie and i take her all the time hunting with me. she follows right behind me and is very quiet. had her with me yesterday on a hunt and saw a doe with her. the deer did not even care she was there. good to have with you when hunting alone to.

dino
12-05-2010, 10:23 PM
If he looks like he could possibly be mistaken as a wolf and he's not on a leash, I would have some definite concern. There are guys that are out there that just see a glimpse of a wolf are opening fire.

husky30-06
12-05-2010, 10:29 PM
I take mine out but i use a twenty foot lead......... great for that hands free shooting. I stand on the lead to ensure she stays after the shot(as she is off like a rocket if i don't) also on a track it is easier to control around trees and obstacles, i drop the lead and pick it up on the other side.

swampthing
12-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I loved to take my long gone lab hunting with me. He was very well trained or so I thought. Your dog needs to be ultra trained. your dog needs to be steady with many animals running around it. It needs to stay , even when you are out of sight for an hour or more. If your dog will do this you are good. If not leave him, hard as it is.

AT&T
12-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I had a black lab I taught to hunt with me. It was really hard to train him. He was amazing with Grizzly bears and hunting deer. He taught me so much about tracking wounded deer. I even got him to crawl across the meadow with me. It happened by chance but after I practiced it enough just with a hand signal he would drop down and crawl on his belly. It was so great to watch. When my lab saw his first deer get shot a light went off in his head. He looked at me like. Well say this is fun. Amazing hunting partner. He cannot take off on his own!!!

fuzzy
12-06-2010, 08:01 PM
i am a newbie hunter, i took my 5 month old pup, we sat for almost 35 min looking at some does looking at us and me doing some antler rattling to hopefully draw a buck out. i know that the deer scented us but they didnt seem to spook even with the dog smell. In talking with other hunters in the area we came accross and saw more game than many others so i dont think he was spooking anything. He loves hiking and was great and is well behaved on leash he was absolutely "switched on" around camp and not gunfire skittish. Only draw back is he looks like a bit like a bear, and when there were some coyotes yipping he was whinying like a horse and wild eyed, not to sure what he would have done if i had let him go.

fuzzy

Ron.C
12-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Over the past two seasons, I've taken my dog with me almost every time I go out now. If I could teach him to get up into my treestand, I'd pretty much take him every time

As for tips, I'm no dog trainer, I just got lucky. My dog Buckley is not a hunting breed, but he's goes everywhere with me and I can really read him. He listens well and has a keen nose for game. I do think it's key that your dog remain at your side. And have him trained to sit when you stop. I've also worked with him using hand signals so I can get him to lay down and stay if need be.
After a while with them, you can tell they've winded something. More then once he's tipped me off to deer and I can credit two blacktails to this. He has been at my side with me on both my spring bears I've harvested the past two years. And he treed a wounded bear in very thick bush and allowed my hunting partner to harvest that animal. He's been a hell of a tracker. He found my hunting partners doe this year, a bear last year, and and two blacktails for hunting partners.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/dog4.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Dog3.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Dog2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Dog1.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/dog6.jpg

deer nut
12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Are you required to have the dog on a leash when hunting deer?

Ron.C
12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Yes, dogs must be on a leash when deer hunting

from the regs Pg.17

"The use of dogs is permitted in the hunting of all game, but dogs
must be on a leash when used to hunt deer, elk, moose, mountain

sheep, mountain goat and caribou. Unleashed dogs may be used to

hunt small game, lynx, bobcat, grizzly bear, black bear or cougar. Any

person may train dogs by allowing them, under supervision, to pursue

game birds from August 1 to April 30."

frenchbar
12-06-2010, 09:14 PM
If he looks like he could possibly be mistaken as a wolf and he's not on a leash, I would have some definite concern. There are guys that are out there that just see a glimpse of a wolf are opening fire.
it happened to a freind of mine..a hunter shot his husky.

Pete
12-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Pure Bred Boarder Collie. Trapping, hunting, Search and Rescue and of course work. On the bed, beside the bed and under the bed, Dog goes everywhere.

GoatGuy
12-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Teach it basic obedience and you'll be fine.

By basic obedience I mean the dogs listens, you don't have to yell at it 5 times before it responds to the command. Zapper collars are not required.

hunter1947
12-07-2010, 03:05 AM
I have had friends bring there dog into my hunting camp and have never had any kind of a problem with them ,I love having a dog in camp :-D..

EURO*D
12-07-2010, 12:36 PM
I think it depends on the dog and the training of the dog. I have a friend with a GSP who took it on a trip with us this year, let me tell you that I will never hunt with his dog again. It was supposed to be a well trained dog that is a pure hunter lol what a JK. Non stop winning and even spooked off 2 bucks. My buddy spent more time calling the dog then trying to hunt. Still bugs me to this day.

Now on the other hand i hunt regularly with my friends lab who is awesome. No really formal hunting training but this dog can hunt with me any day any time. Stays when you need him to and doesn't make noise. I would take a Lab over a GSP or DK or DD any day. I think people who go nuts over a "hunting specific dog" are more caught up on the idea of what the dog can be rather then what the dog actually is. Now I know some people will disagree but for me everyone I know who has a GSP or big game specific dog, I would not hunt with EVER again. I would hunt with a Lab any day!

Tenacious Billy
12-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Yes, dogs must be on a leash when deer hunting

from the regs Pg.17

"The use of dogs is permitted in the hunting of all game, but dogs
must be on a leash when used to hunt deer, elk, moose, mountain

sheep, mountain goat and caribou. Unleashed dogs may be used to

hunt small game, lynx, bobcat, grizzly bear, black bear or cougar. Any

person may train dogs by allowing them, under supervision, to pursue

game birds from August 1 to April 30."

What if your dog is only there to accompany you on your hunt and is not actually being used to hunt with? Is there still a requirment to leash it?

Spokerider
12-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Just make sure that your dog does not show any interest in deer.......... Judging by the number of shooters who state that they will blast any dog for showing interest in deer, it may not be coming home alive.....

EURO*D
12-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Just make sure that your dog does not show any interest in deer.......... Judging by the number of shooters who state that they will blast any dog for showing interest in deer, it may not be coming home alive.....

no kidding.... seems to be a common thing:confused::twisted: im sure that topic will be debated again.

Tenacious Billy
12-07-2010, 02:44 PM

They're likely all "cat people".......:wink:

mijinkal
12-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I think it depends on the dog and the training of the dog. I have a friend with a GSP who took it on a trip with us this year, let me tell you that I will never hunt with his dog again. It was supposed to be a well trained dog that is a pure hunter lol what a JK. Non stop winning and even spooked off 2 bucks. My buddy spent more time calling the dog then trying to hunt. Still bugs me to this day.

Now on the other hand i hunt regularly with my friends lab who is awesome. No really formal hunting training but this dog can hunt with me any day any time. Stays when you need him to and doesn't make noise. I would take a Lab over a GSP or DK or DD any day. I think people who go nuts over a "hunting specific dog" are more caught up on the idea of what the dog can be rather then what the dog actually is. Now I know some people will disagree but for me everyone I know who has a GSP or big game specific dog, I would not hunt with EVER again. I would hunt with a Lab any day!

I strongly feel that only well trained dogs should be allowed hunting when you're with others. The owner should know how his dog behaves before taking the dog out on a hunt with other people. This should be common knowledge.
Before taking my pup on a hunt, I consulted with everybody in camp first. I assured them that the dog was properly trained and that if he misbehaved, he would sit in the truck for the day while we were out walking. For being 5 months old, he behaved perfectly and exactly as the breed should act. There's been threads on this topic before.

I have an issue with you painting all GSP's, DK's, and DD's with the same brush because you experienced one bad GSP.
Do some research and you'll find out that although a GSP looks just like a DK, they are very different dogs.
Some people can have uneducated opinions about labs too. I've met a few terribly behaved labs before but I've met more than enough great labs to make up for it. A lot of it has to do with the owner and training, not the breed in general.
BTW, GSP's aren't big game specific dogs.

EURO*D
12-07-2010, 03:55 PM
I strongly feel that only well trained dogs should be allowed hunting when you're with others. The owner should know how his dog behaves before taking the dog out on a hunt with other people. This should be common knowledge.
Before taking my pup on a hunt, I consulted with everybody in camp first. I assured them that the dog was properly trained and that if he misbehaved, he would sit in the truck for the day while we were out walking. For being 5 months old, he behaved perfectly and exactly as the breed should act. There's been threads on this topic before.

I have an issue with you painting all GSP's, DK's, and DD's with the same brush because you experienced one bad GSP.
Do some research and you'll find out that although a GSP looks just like a DK, they are very different dogs.
Some people can have uneducated opinions about labs too. I've met a few terribly behaved labs before but I've met more than enough great labs to make up for it. A lot of it has to do with the owner and training, not the breed in general.
BTW, GSP's aren't big game specific dogs.

I am pretty familiar with NADKC and DK's in general, as well as GSP's. My opinion of the breed is just my opinion and is not to slight anyone who has one, to each their own. My issue stems from my experience's with many GSP's and a few DK's. There are many good ones out there however. The one GSP and DK in question however have been trained and used primarily for tracking. I was lead to believe that the ones i was hunting by were in fact trained, but I was mislead. So yes, my experience's have not be good ones with those breed, when on the same hand my experiences when hunting "big game" with labs have been more then possitve. Please don't take this as a slight again your DK, I am sure he is an exception:wink:. Now as you stated GSP's are not a big game specific dog and on that hand neither are labs, but I can only go off of my experiences..... I hate to compare to different breeds because they all have their purpose. Your right that training is the key to a proper pet and hunting companion.

GoatGuy
12-07-2010, 04:36 PM
It was supposed to be a well trained dog !
supposed to be falls between sh*t and syphilis in the dictionary

gamehunter6o
12-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Now here is a well trained dog on Sika hind:-D
Get your dog this obediant and your made.

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/mossoprd/S1090014.jpg

swampthing
12-08-2010, 08:59 PM
About the leash thing. I believe you only need to have him on a leash if he is being used to hunt deer or other big game. If he is just a sidekick you dont need the leash. Does that sound right?

spear
12-08-2010, 09:05 PM
no kidding.... seems to be a common thing:confused::twisted: im sure that topic will be debated again.

No kidding, If I'm out with my dog, he shows interest in deer, while on a lead, hunting with me. How can someone determine whether the dog was actually chasing deer or not?
Id be calling an ambulance for someone if they shot my dog

Ron.C
12-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Id be calling an ambulance for someone if they shot my dog

Not the topic of this thread but I'm with you 100% on that one spear. My dog is never out of sight of me when in the bush. If someone felt the need to shoot at him, the shooter would be in for a mountain of trouble!!!

Camp Cook
12-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Been doing it for over 26 years now actually its very rare that they are not with me on a hunt...

Started with my 135lbs Akita I unfortunately had to put him down when he was 13 years old had him on Mtn goat/elk/moose/deer hunts.

My Chesapeake Bay Retriever had her for 12 years had to put her down Oct 15 2009.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/560/medium/Sept_Oct_2005_Mesilinka_River_Hunt_059.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/560/medium/Jaiden_Computer_Sowaqua_Drive_Aug_15_2009_059.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/506/medium/Grizzly_Hunt_June_2008_008.jpg

and my new Chesapeake Bay Retriever picked her up Nov 15 2009 and she has been hunting with me ever since...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/img_9243.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/504/medium/Jaiden_Me_with_Hanging_Deer_Oct_5_2010_Paysayten_R iver_Rd.JPG

32-40win
12-10-2010, 02:53 AM
We can't have dogs with us in Alberta when big game hunting. I've had mine out in all the areas I hunt in though. I have learned they are absolutely to be believed when they stop and look somewhere, there will be something there you should be looking at also. Elk across a cutblock, deer all over the place, moose, cats,yotes, they pin them all.
The one thing that spooked me was wolves, they will turn on a dog trail instantly. Had that happen the second time I took the female out. We were in an area I had not seen the wolves in, but maybe 5 miles from an area I had.
Saw them going down the hill we'd just angled up looking for birds and rabbits.
Called her, got her under my knee, they popped out about 100yds down the hill coming straight at us. 4 in front and 4 behind, shot the lead one at about 15yds. Had another two pass by at about 5-10 yds.
Spooky moment.