PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Hunting Questions

Brian011
12-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Just wondering how far everyone hikes into their alpine spots for mulie hunting? Distance hiked from road and length of time it takes to get there? I've never hunted mulies in the alpine and might give it a try next year. Just looking for any tips for the hike and how much stuff does everyone bring for supplies also.

I know there are other thread about this but i thought i'd start a new one,
thanks

yukon john
12-05-2010, 09:44 PM
I hunt two spots, one i hunt early in the year it takes about 2 hours to hike up to where you hunt and then there is days of hiking/hunting availible from there, the other spot is good later and is more sub alpine I do a circut that i can hunt the whole way it takes 4-7 hours depending on what i see and how much i glass. Plan your water especially if your going over night, mountain house, starbucks instant via coffee, tigers milk bars, wilderness athlete bars/gel/drinks mixes.

dutchie
12-05-2010, 10:00 PM
One place I go is about a 3.5 hour hike in to awesome hunting.

Another is about 2 hours. and the "busier" place is about a 1 hour hike in.

These are all alpine hunts except for the one that takes about 3.5 hours... it is a timber hunt.

What I always do is I plan for one extra meal and I make sure that I can boil water.

This distances that I hike are anywhere from 3 km for the 1 hour hike to about 10-12 Km for the 3.5 hour hike. I also scout them all in the summer and hike in with snowshoes to the easier ones in the winter.

Dutchie

alecvg
12-06-2010, 12:36 AM
One of our best high country spots is a couple hours by boat, then 16 miles on trail, but the trail is so crappy, it can take almost two days to get in.

Husky7mm
12-06-2010, 10:13 AM
I like to get fairly high up with a truck or quad and the dump OVER the mountian on foot, rather than starting at the bottom on foot. You need to be in roadless country for it to be worth your boot leather. ALWAYS have enough food and water or you will be crawling out on your butt. How far you hike depends on how far you want to pack out out an animal. How bad do you want it? Sleeping up there is a great help if your into that. Expect everykind of weather. This is IMO the most rewarding and beautiful may to hunt. PS always have a few 5 hr energys in the pack for the days you get burned out or have to pack out an aniamal after a long day of hiking.

GoatGuy
12-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Some areas you can drive into, others take a day or two to get into, just depends on where you go.

swampthing
12-06-2010, 07:18 PM
You have the right idea hittin the alpine. I live to hunt the alpine and higher. Take survival gear. Cell phones often work in the alpine if you are in the interior, for emergencies. Climb hard and enjoy the scenery, the further the better.