PDA

View Full Version : October or November Moose hunt?

ryanb
06-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Just trying to decide whether to enter for October or November for a region 3 moose hunt. Obviously October has higher success by the lower number of tags, and worse odds, but is November not even worth applying for?

What can you expect on a November hunt? I guess its well past the rut so you'd be doing spot and stalk type hunting?

Thanks,
Ryan

Steeleco
06-06-2006, 04:59 PM
I've waited for Nov doe LEH that my buddy won a couple of times and when it came time to go, we were knee deep in snow. Either could be good but the weather is a factor the later you leave it!!

LOC
06-06-2006, 05:12 PM
years ago (15+) me and dad went for a late season hunt in 3-30. Very cold, snow wasn't too bad (main roads drivable) but it was the cold I remember most. We did mostly stalking (to stay warm :) ) saw lots of deer and a few moose but no shooters.

Since then I've stayed local past October

3kills
06-06-2006, 06:03 PM
all depends on where in region 3 u really wanna go...

mark
06-06-2006, 06:13 PM
i think its better, the moose already start moving to lower ground, you usually have snow so its easy to see fresh activity, plus the bucks are rutting so good chances of running into a big buck at the same time!

GoatGuy
06-07-2006, 05:36 AM
November can be fun if you cut a set of tracks and put your skills to work! Can make for some serious work packing out but you generally don't have to worry about them dying in a massive swamp or having a bear come in and lay claim.

BigfishCanada
06-07-2006, 10:09 AM
no moose in region 3, fill your leh in 7 or 8

:roll:

todbartell
06-07-2006, 10:54 AM
no moose in 7, go to 8 or 3 :roll: :p

3kills
06-07-2006, 11:03 AM
nope i heard 5 is the place to be....or the clearwater area and then u get big bucks too biggest bucks in the world but u have to have the balls to hunt that area :roll: :wink:

Stone Sheep Steve
06-07-2006, 11:55 AM
October is WAY easier to find a bull. Once November rolls around they are back in the thick stuff strappping on the feed-bags. Most years of late, reg 3 has not had much snow in Nov. for tracking and finding out where they're hanging out. I know one hard core hunter that did get his bull in Reg 3 in Nov but he said he would never put in for Nov again. It seems once the snow does hit access is soon limited and those long-legged critters don't move until it's really deep.

I know many Nov draws left unfilled but don't know of one Oct draw not filled.

SSS

ryanb
06-07-2006, 12:23 PM
October is WAY easier to find a bull. Once November rolls around they are back in the thick stuff strappping on the feed-bags. Most years of late, reg 3 has not had much snow in Nov. for tracking and finding out where they're hanging out. I know one hard core hunter that did get his bull in Reg 3 in Nov but he said he would never put in for Nov again. It seems once the snow does hit access is soon limited and those long-legged critters don't move until it's really deep.

I know many Nov draws left unfilled but don't know of one Oct draw not filled.

SSS

This is what I figured. I might just put in for November anyways and combine the hunt with a trip for mulies during the rut (should I get the draw of course).

Thanks

Jelvis
06-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Region 3 is a fairly big region, which management unit do you think is the best for spike/fork success possibilities if a person doesn't get limited entry hunting certificate. Around Kamloops and the Clearwater area in 2007 season, if the regs are the same in general as 06, any new ideas this year hunters? I believe October would be better than November also since the rut is on. Which mu in reg 3 would you think is better for spike forks in your humble experienced opinion. Around Kamloops and Clearwater?

WoodOx
06-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Honestly Jelvis, I dont believe it at all possible to predict which MU will have the highest birthrate of spikes or spike forks.

A question to consider, may be which MU has the highest quantity of birthing cows? That way, you will be in the right vicinity to find those one and a half and two and a half year old males stil hanging in the vicinity of birth or for that matter stil with their mothers.

If you want a moose IMHO head up north to either reg 6 or 7 during open season. Its hot,long drive, but success is decent.

dana
06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Jelvis,
If you had read the regs you'll see that Spike/Fork close Oct 31st. Sorry to burst your bubble. ;)

Jelvis
06-18-2007, 09:19 PM
ryanb, did you try in november or did you not get the certificate because october or november was the question you asked about.for moose, if you don't mind me asking? I thought october would be best but some say on here combine deer rut and moose in Nov. I only hunt around Kamloops I don't go way up north.

dana
06-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Ryan,
Moose typically aren't in the same country as muleys in Nov. It is my observation that bulls will actually go higher in Nov than where you can find them ruttin in Oct. They like to hang out in that mid to high elevation timber and rest up until winter really settles in. And with bulls, it's normally deeper than balls deep before they even think of bailing out of that higher ground. Some years that type of snow doesn't come till after Christmas.

browningboy
06-18-2007, 09:55 PM
The bulls will lead to solitude after the rut as they are "bagged" out, they'll go into the thick bush and recouperate before the dead of winter kicks in so they can try to keep some winter fat if any left. I would be more incline to go in october but hey, you never know what could happen!:roll:

Caveman
06-18-2007, 10:18 PM
The bulls will lead to solitude after the rut as they are "bagged" out, they'll go into the thick bush and recouperate before the dead of winter kicks in so they can try to keep some winter fat if any left. I would be more incline to go in october but hey, you never know what could happen!:roll:

I have to agree. I know several guys that haven't been able to fill tags or even find a bull late because they seem to be held up somewhere. That being said if you happen to know an area really well and are fortunate enough to get drawn, you may already know where they tend to hunker down post rut. The area I hunt moose regularly is very predictable, if you know it, and put in the time. I have come to know their patterns and know where to be. It's just a matter of being there at the right time, or where they tend to hold up under pressure.

Rob
06-18-2007, 10:43 PM
go for October, I did a moose hunt last year in 3 19b in Nov. and the weather sucked big time. We saw a couple deer that werent legal. If the temp was above 0 it was raining.Go for the rut! Rob

Jelvis
06-18-2007, 11:08 PM
End of September and the first two weeks of October I would say is the best for calling and hearing a moose so that would help a lot, but your going to take that meat in and get it done cause it gets warm in the day. So the cost is fairly substantial but it has to be done. Or split it up between a number of hunters and do a quarter each. The backstraps are phenomenal on a moose, worth fighting over, lol.

hunter1947
06-19-2007, 04:57 AM
One simple suggestion do your home work on where the highest population of moose are ,that is where you will find your moose ,O and the last week of Sept and into the first week of Oct are the best for the rut ,it is as simple as that.

boxhitch
06-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Not all of the breeding occurs in the main rut period. Therr is often a second lesser rut in late October. Calling moose can be productive anytime, may be to smaller bulls still tying to get some.

talver
06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Has Ayone hunted 3-39 in Nov. If so how was it?

Wildman
06-19-2007, 01:21 PM
From my experience I would have to say October......It is way harder to find a bull in November.

Jelvis
06-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Hunting depends on the weather in 3:39, snow depth for access too, Taweel Lake (on the way in) is fair if you know where to stop. My uncle use to hunt there,was fair, Jellyvis

rollingrock
06-19-2007, 03:22 PM
So how long does one average guy take to skin and quarter an average bull, if that 'average' guy is lucky enough to drop the bull on the road? :D

ryanb
06-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Well this thread is from last year, didn't anyone notice. I got that November draw and there was too much snow, I never even tried since I tagged a Muley in October anyways,

johnk
06-19-2007, 06:49 PM
In lieu of Ryan's post this may be mute but the info may help Nov. drawees for /07. First off this is my first post as there really hasn't been a reason to post in the past due all the knowledgeable members on this board. I reside at Tunkwa Lake, on the border of 3-18/3-19 and I have the luxury of hunting 70-80 days from Sept.-Dec. The points I am about to make are my own observations, not meant to dispute or reinforce other posts. Every year I apply for Nov. draws and have had draws 2 of the last 3 years(forgot to send the cards in time last year). Obviously bulls are easier to find in Oct. but the traffic in our area is just crazy with immies and any buck still open. In Nov. there are only 10% of the hunters driving the roads and I, have found, under the right weather conditions and in our area the moose come back to the slashes to feed. Nov/04 we had a shared hunt and the second bull was taken on the 12th which happened to be the 25th moose we had seen since the 1st. One year later, Nov/05 my wife had a shared hunt and I had a draw for a single bull(got an immature Sept.27th) which was nullified. The conditions for my wife's draw were brutal. Too warm during the day and no snow, crusty ground and all the negative compounds. We didn't even see a cow moose for the first 10 days. The moose were out all night and back in the timber pre-dawn. It was so frustrating that one morning we went into one of our ground blinds to find our chairs tipped over and a large pile of droppings where our seats once sat. After about 15 days of this we went out for a drive one night around 9P.M.(no rifles) and got out at one of our popular meadows and bellowed a long cow call. The response was amazing, at least 2 bulls and maybe more. Last year one of our longtime clients had a shared hunt for 3-19B and they were hunting an old burn and I couldn't believe the numbers they said they were seeing until they invited me to go with them. It was about the third week of Nov. and the morning I went it was a complete whiteout though in the first hour we did see 8 moose(all cows/calves). Even with chains on we barely made it out of there around noon. Some of the things I've seen while armed hiking are walking into a moose meadow Nov.7th/02 and finding 2 bulls fighting and another spectating. The same year on Nov.26 finding a 5 pt. bull tending a cow(extremely late,don't you think?) I gave them a cow call with no response but one little bull grunt and that fella was a thousand yards across that meadow in no time. Yes, as a matter of fact I am a little longwinded so I'll bow out and I hope this info persuades/dissuades those contemplating Nov. draws for the future. Cheers, John

Jelvis
06-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey johnk, that was a good report to read. I guess some hunters are right when they say moose if they miss first heat come on later, I still like the meat of a younger moose than a big old bull or cow. Tunkwa that is a nice area, I bet where you see moose you also see mulie bucks no doubt. I like that durand creek area but who does'nt. Thanx for the good report. Good luck

4 point
06-19-2007, 07:32 PM
I have hunted moose in reg 3 for years. Trying to get an LEH is near impossible for a bull in some areas. Imatures are hard to find but are around. Hunting in Nov. for bulls can be real tough if the snow comes early, which is a year to year thing. Moose hole up in the timber after the 2 rut periods and are hard to get close to. Snow conditions can make driving to where you want to walk or atv from difficult. So I would say a draw in October better all around. Now for big mullies November is the month. Most all the hunters who will take any buck in October are gone. Conditions get tougher but the tough get going. Both moose & deer populations up from what I see.

Jelvis
06-19-2007, 09:02 PM
November for big muley bucks you say 4 point, right on. October for moose in region 3 and two rut periods for moose in 3 good info 4 point.