PDA

View Full Version : Deer & Cattle: Do deer feed alongside cattle?

Madeson
12-05-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm hoping to be able here to dip a little into the pool of greater experience and knowledge that's here. I was hunting this past weekend on a ranch that I've permission to hunt. The rancher had some days ago brought a large number of his cattle into a large alfalfa field. This field I'd intended to hunt for whitetail and mulies and in the past I"ve seen lots of both. Since I've hunted this ranch during this year, this is the first time I'd seen cattle in this field. The rancher had also laid out stips of sileage for the cattle to eat as well as what they could forage for under the snow.

When seeing those cows, and without having any knowledge one way or the other, I decided not to hunt that field thinking that both species of deer probably wouldn't come into the field with all those cattle already there. I surmised that the deer would go elsewhere to feed; that the deer would be too nervous with the cattle there.

But now what I'm wondering is if I made the right decision. I wonder if the deer really do or do not have any problems with cattle being in the same field the deer've been used to feeding in for months. I realized that the sileage the cattle had been given to eat would probably also be pretty attractive to the deer as well and that as a food source might attract them in despite the presence of cattle.

I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of deer behavior in this circumstance and could comment here. Thanks.

whitetailsheds
12-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I've had a couple successful stalks using cattle as decoys/ cover while deer have been out feeding with them.

Pete
12-05-2010, 04:20 PM
There were 7 Does and a Buck feeding in with the Cows at daylight this morning.

Steeleco
12-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Like the others, I've seen deer in the fields with cows, even seen a bear one time. Trick is not to spook the cows. Once they're spooked the whole forest knows. They're stupid creatures and don't spook easy, but when they do!

Big Lew
12-05-2010, 04:44 PM
I've often seen whitetail, mulies, moose, elk, and bear feeding in the same field as cattle and horses. It goes without saying that extra care is needed when shooting with anything, including bow, under these circumstances, so I would strongly suggest checking with the rancher before hunting amongst his cattle....most ranchers and leasers don't like it, or allow it at all. He might withdraw your privilege were you not to ask first.

knighthunter
12-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I've see whitetails feeding in the same fields as cattle but I've never seen them mixed up together. The deer seem to kinda stay a bit of distance from cows as though the cows make too much noise walking & feeding.

tomahawk
12-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Think of it this way, a deer looks at the cattle as just another "non-threatening" animal that shares some common ground. Those deer that grow up near cattle have no reason to fear or be alarmed by them. Usually they have there own area or group behaviours when close but they will share the same fields, meadows, grasslands and bush always.

knighthunter
12-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Take a walk into the field and see if there are any tracks. Maybe set up somewhere not too far from where the deer are entering, so that if given a shot, your not shooting towards the cattle.

dragonslayer
12-05-2010, 07:05 PM
only had this happen once personally, i seen a big buck in the middle of bunch of cows in the kamloops area, he seemed to be feeding in the middle of them, so decided not to shot ,pretty sure if it also was the right decision, but tommorrow is another day

Sleep Robber
12-05-2010, 07:09 PM
I've seen countless deer in fields while amongst cattle.

Blair
12-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Only if the cattle can get into the alfalfa field

M.Dean
12-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Yup, deer feed along side the cattle.

hunter1947
12-06-2010, 03:20 AM
I have seen elk and deer feeding with cattle before..

HIGHRPM
12-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I have hunted over twenty six years all over Manitoba and Saskatchewan and can say without a doubt the cows and deer feed together. I have watched whitetails, muleys and antelope intermingle with cows just like they were part of the herd. They must feel very comfortable and secure. I would definatly scout the area. :)

knockturnal
12-06-2010, 05:29 PM
I shot a decent 4x4 muley that was mixed in with some cows. Just sat there and waited for the cows to feed away from him and boom! Meat in the freezer.

safarichris
12-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Think of it this way, a deer looks at the cattle as just another "non-threatening" animal that shares some common ground. Those deer that grow up near cattle have no reason to fear or be alarmed by them. Usually they have there own area or group behaviours when close but they will share the same fields, meadows, grasslands and bush always.
Well said Tomahawk well said

boothcreek
12-09-2010, 08:53 AM
They will share the same pasture no problem. However the hunter may face a problem getting his game animal. Our neighbour shot a 2X6 bull elk on our pasture with a bow and our cows saw the elk as a herd member in distress and would not leave the downed elk or let anyone near it.
Our cows just being 5 minitures it was rather funny having 3 vehicles having to circle the elk to keep the cows away.