PDA

View Full Version : Bears on the weekend...

Gateholio
06-06-2006, 01:36 PM
The other night my dumbass buddy Rob and I decide to go bear huting the following mornign, despite me trying out some tequila that an employee had brought back form Mexico for me...

So he shows up ealry in the morning, while I am still lying in bed snuggling with The Girl and hoping he wont' show up, since my head hurts a wee bit.http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Off we go to some of our favorite bear areas, but there isn't much going on. We glass a few cuts, hike a few trails and roads , and then drive a bit. Eventually we stop at a old road that has been deacvivated for years, and hike up it. Wow- this is where the bears have been hanging out!! There is bear crap everywehere, although much of it is in the small/medium category. There are a few stovepipe size piles, though, which further entices us.

We drove up tp anpther spot, and hiked up the hills through the long deactivated skidder tracks. One point there was plenty of good scat, but it was so overgorwn it was hard to walk..

Afte rmucking around up there for an hour or so, we decided to head back to my house for lunch, since it was already 2 pm.

After some lunch, we headed out to a different area, one that neither of us had hunted much before, sine it was a little further away.On the way, we saw a nice big sow and her cub feeding.

We also spotted 2 nie bears feeding ona plateau downa steep bank. We stopped and contemplated a s hot, It was far, about 400 yards, but there wasn't much wind and it wasn't a steep angle, so it was doable.

Of course, the recovery of the bears woudl be a bitch, due to were they were,and while they were nice, large and fuzzy bears, we left them alone. They werent' *that* big!

We got to our turn off, nd drove up, glassing spots perieodically. Oddly there was *no* scat on the road, yet I the area wa sperfect for bears. FInally, about 7 pm we were driving up to anothe rspot to glass fomr and I saw a bear on the rigth hand side. We stopped but it was gone quickly, so we proceeded further downt he road, and almost immedialtely saw another bear on the opposite side of the road, a small one.

All of a sudden things were getting crazy...we got out and walked up on a 3 legged black bear, that saw us and ran out of there in a hurry!

Out popped a nice (but not really large) cinnamon bear form behind a tree. I told him it wasn't that big, but I am going to shoot anyway, I am in that sort of mood!http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

He was feeding quartering away at about 50 yards when I sunk to one knee, and placed the crosshairs on him and waited for him to turn broadside, or at least give me somethign other than an ass shot.

FInally, he turned a little and I tucked the reticel behind his shoulder and squeezed.

He humped upa bit and took off as the 168gr TSX form my 300WSM hit it's mark.

We ran up to where he had been standing, and listened- Nothing. No thrashign around, no running and crashing,no branches being broken. We looked for signs of a hit, blood/hair...anything. Nothing- Just what looked to be some broken twigs where he may or may not have run...

We wiated a bit, still looking, and then Rob took one side and I took the other and we walked intot he bush looking for sign. For about 0.000043 seconds when Rob yelled to me..We had made it abotu 20 feet form where he was standing.

There he was, not too big, but quite pretty, and with a weird raccon face.http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

Gateholio
06-06-2006, 01:36 PM
We didn't have far to drag hiom back,,which was nice.

http://usera.imagecave.com/chef/Picture834-copy.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/chef/Picture841-copy.jpg

He ran past his rock, and it looks as if the heart pumped and just blew the blood out the exit hole- it was not smeared on the rock (liek if he had brushed against it) and there was a tree (on the left of the pic) in between the bear and the rock, so it must have spurted several inches.

http://usera.imagecave.com/chef/Picture833-copy.jpg

He was shot at 9PM and skinned and cut in quarters in the back of the truck by 10 15 pm, and we were on our way home.http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

rollingrock
06-06-2006, 01:44 PM
why this story sounds so familiar? just different ending though...:)

Barracuda
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Congrats on a really nice and distinctive bear . Nice deep red with a black mask and pumpkin seed eyebrows , That would make a really nice mount or rug .

mainland hunter
06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
interesting looking bear, good job

Maxx
06-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Well done Gatehouse, good story!

As for the racoon face, my taxidermist told me that he believes that this is caused by the bear, when it is in the den, having his "arms" crossed across his face. He claims that any videos/pictures he's seen over the years of bears in the den, the bears seem to do this,

why this happens might be this area is kept warmer, and the hairs falls out??? Or it becomes frostbitten, and that is why they cross them in the 1st place?

Either way, Nice Bear!

johnes50
06-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi chee wow wa that Tequilla did the trick! Congratulations Gatehouse on your bear! That is one interesting face and it would make a nice rug or mount. John

Elkhound
06-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Nice bear Gatehouse. Really nice color, that would put me in an itchy trigger finger mood as well. I was wondering when you were gonna pop one this year. Love the mask as well

todbartell
06-06-2006, 03:52 PM
shoulda used the 223 :roll: :p

Steeleco
06-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Definately 1st place for the most unique. Nice bruin Gate!!!

3kills
06-06-2006, 06:10 PM
nice bear gate...

bsa30-06
06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
nice bear gatehouse.your right he has a funny face.

goathead
06-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Tequlia for everyone,hey if it works why not.nice bear Gates

Will
06-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Forever Known as the "Tequila Bear" :p
Nice Going Gate !

Brambles
06-06-2006, 11:14 PM
great story, goofy looking face on that one. Congrats on the bear

elkster
06-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Nice looking bear Gatehouse. I was going to suggest that maybe you burped on him and the tequilla breath burnt the hair off his face.:shock: :-D

GoatGuy
06-07-2006, 05:30 AM
Congrats on the 'pretty' bear Gate!

SteadyGirl
06-07-2006, 06:18 AM
Danm thats a nice bear Gate! Good show:p

Walksalot
06-07-2006, 06:25 AM
Nice bear, well done.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Congrats Clarke on you second "character bear" in as many years! You seem to have a nack for finding the "interesting" looking bruins:cool: .

SSS

Elkhound
06-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Congrats Clarke on you second "character bear" in as many years! You seem to have a nack for finding the "interesting" looking bruins:cool: .

SSS

I think he finds them, beats the hell out of them with his spear, then shoots them. Posts pictures and voila......"Look at all these scars, must have been scrappers" "Look at this face, looks like someone worked him over real good":p LOL

Rookie
06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Very cool lookin bear Gatehouse! Never seen a face like that before.He`ll definatly do well in the unique lookin bear contest,what was his size?

bochunk2000
06-07-2006, 09:50 AM
That sure is a nice bear Gatehouse. We don't have any colourphase bears over here on the rock. I might come get one oneday...or try to anyhow. Steve.

Gateholio
06-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Very cool lookin bear Gatehouse! Never seen a face like that before.He`ll definatly do well in the unique lookin bear contest,what was his size?

He was a dink!

Not even close to 6', more like 5 and a half if I stretched him...:-D

I knew he was a dink prior to shooting, but after getting a record book bear last year, I wasn't too picky!:p

bcboy
06-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Clark

I went back to where we went a couple of weeks ago, sawe the same bear and he is bigger than we thought,,guess I shoulda shot but what a time to be holding someting in my hand and it was not my rifle.

Elkhound
06-09-2006, 10:26 AM
He was a dink!

Not even close to 6', more like 5 and a half if I stretched him...:-D

I knew he was a dink prior to shooting, but after getting a record book bear last year, I wasn't too picky!:p

Doesn't matter. He has character.

bcboy, I am afraid to even ask:shock:

MB_Boy
06-09-2006, 10:40 AM
I went back to where we went a couple of weeks ago, sawe the same bear and he is bigger than we thought,,guess I shoulda shot but what a time to be holding someting in my hand and it was not my rifle

bcboy, I am afraid to even ask:shock:

Everyone has their own methods to "bare" hunting ;) :-D Itchy trigger fingers......

Elkhound
06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Everyone has their own methods to "bare" hunting ;) :-D Itchy trigger fingers......

Is there a cream or lotion for that?;)

3kills
06-09-2006, 10:48 AM
u really dont wanna an answer to that do u?

bcboy
06-09-2006, 03:56 PM
I used the wind method..

CanAm500
06-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Nice colour on that bear!!!