PDA

View Full Version : Tree stand vs. Walking in the bush

sjo
12-05-2010, 09:23 AM
I've never hunted in a stand, haveing grown up learning to hunt the game trails and skid trails. I would have to say this year was one of the most frustrateing yet rewarding years I have had. It seemed every time I went out I would see spikes in a four point season, spike fork moose 4 days before the opening (after seeing no moose during my son's bull draw). This type of luck continued through the month of October, which I mainly hunted for moose, again seeing large bulls when only spike forks were open. Right on through November, 2 points and huge 3 points that just would'nt grow another. Fortunately, my son and I both had the doe draw so we did get 2 doe's.
As I said before I learned to hunt in the bush, but it wasn't long before that grew into driving a truck then a quad around, and I was usually lucky enough to get something, but this year not so much. So back into the bush I went, first noting the ridges then hiking into the bush and up the hill finding the game trails, walking the ridges. I'll tell you right now walking up within 20 yrds of game is pretty wild. How I got caught up in road hunting I'm not sure, laziness maybe, anyway getting into the bush and off the quad was reward in itself, you can't see the things you see in the bush sitting on a quad or in truck for that matter.
So back to the topic of the thread, climbing up and into an tree stand seems a bit like sitting in a truck unless you are seeing alot of animals, I imagine it can get pretty boring. Obviously the stand is set up in the bush and not beside the road, I'm sure a fair amount of scouting is involved, trail cams etc.
I didn't search this topic, so some grumpy ******* will probably scold me me and reply with a link to a previous thread, but lets hear your thoughts and opinions on this

cariboobill
12-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Hey:

I have and still use a variety of stands, blinds etc.when hunting, one is a Summit climbing tree stand. I find the tree stand works well when you have scouted and know the area and animal patterns you are hunting. Mule Deer are harder to pattern than some other deer species, although they will hold a pattern here and there for a limited time. Time is needed to set the stand or blind in the right spot. Also deer will pattern you if they bust you in the stand.

Find that early season the tree stands work well when bow hunting. Not as quiet in the woods when I still hunt during early season with my bow. I have used the tree stand for rifle season and it works well.

CB

Ron.C
12-05-2010, 10:32 AM
So back to the topic of the thread, climbing up and into an tree stand seems a bit like sitting in a truck unless you are seeing alot of animals, I imagine it can get pretty boring.

Yep, It can be boring at times when no game is around. But it is extremely satisfying when it pays off because you've been patient enough to stay in the stand for hours on end. Or persistent enough to hunt a stand from sun up to sun down for multiple days because you know it's a good spot and it pays off.

CanuckShooter
12-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I have a Summit Viper, even use it in november 4pt season upon occassion. Shot a 6x7 bull elk out of a ladder stand this year.

I like it when the winds are 'swirling' around,..... most of the time if your feet are at least 12 feet off the ground the animals do not catch your scent....and 99 out of 100 will not see you up in the tree.

If your hunting a travel route....or calling.....stands can be productive when other methods just don't seem to cut it.

wildprotien
12-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Its just another way of challenging yourself to learn new ways of hunting.
Even from a stand there are different ways to hunt and many things you need to know including safety.
Trying new things keeps the sport interesting and gives you first hand knowledge of what other hunters go through to harvest an animal.
Try hunting from a friends stand to see if you like it before you invest money and decide you don't like climbing trees.
You may need to learn about proper clothing to keep you warm sitting in a tree stand as the hike in to your stand and the climbing part can cause you to sweat and become cold faster.
Try sitting up over a cut block at first just to see if you like it.
You may find that you start to challenge yourself real quick and want to move the stand further back on a game trail to cut the animal off on the way to the cut block .... etc
Sometimes it takes a while to get an area ready to stand hunt. You have to clear shooting lanes and have diff trees to hunt from for diff wind conditions.
Keeping the sun at your back is a good idea when possible as it makes it harder for the animals to see you looking directly into the sun.
Good luck ... give it a try you have nothing to loose, just be careful.

wildprotien
12-05-2010, 01:20 PM
I have a Summit Viper

Where did you buy the Summit Viper I was interested in this stand a few years back .... Have you had any issues with it ...
Not trying to Hi-Jack the thread.

steepNdeep
12-05-2010, 01:51 PM
The more that I learn about hunting, the more I realize that patience, sitting still & glassing are the keys that many use to consistently kill big bucks.

Selecting a productive stand site takes more scouting and knowledge than you might think. I have a problem sitting still for any length of time, but there have been many times that I returned to the stand after a walkabout to find buck tracks where I should have been sitting...

The bucks in my avi live under one of my 'stands'. I have a rockclimbing harness and just climb up a tree that looks good w/ big branches. I haven't had the time to sit there for a full day, yet, but based on my trailcam pics one would be in my freezer if I did...

It's good to mix it up and learn some new techniques...

AT&T
12-05-2010, 02:33 PM
My grampa used to say. When you walk you see alot and dont shoot much. When you sit you dont see much and kill more of what you see.
I have 5 permanent stands in trees and one portable. Putting in the time for location etc is the key to my mind. Also with permanent tree stand you can spend all night out there. I have done that alot! I am not shooting just waiting to see what goes by and when! I use the louisiana tree lounge cause I can spend the night in it comfort. When a good location is found I sometimes put up a permanent stucture. I seldom use the same stand more than once. After doing this work it is not a case of if you will fill your tags. More of what do I want to shoot. Horn wise that is. Deer can smell you in a tree stand. Less likely but anyone who tells you different has not spent enough time in them. They will also look up after following your tracks to the bottom of the tree. Pretty smart critters. If you are shooting a long ways from the tree it doesnt really matter how high you are. If in tight brush too high is not good. It increases your angle. Especially with a bow.

35 Whelen
12-05-2010, 03:00 PM
If its a big whitetail you want to kill.....SIT

You are never ( well almost never ) going to walk up on a big Whitetail.......they have a sense of hearing that is second to none. Sitting up high will keep you quiet, your scent up high and deer rarely look up.

I have the equalizer stand and it is great for getting way up and out of the way.....screw adjustments on the cable allow me to climb and keep going as the diameter of the tree changes, without getting out of the stand to make the adjustments....very well built and solid. All aluminum powdercoated too.

dana
12-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Muleys main nemisis is the lion. A lion is very very good at ambushing them. So in order to survive 5-10 years to become a trophy muley, you are going to have to avoid the ambush. That is where Randomness comes into play. Aside from the summer months, a big ol' muley doesn't pattern very easily. His pattern is randomness. He'll take one route one day and some totally different route the next. He ain't predictable like his whitetail cousin. So treestand hunting ain't that effective when it comes to killing a big ol' muley buck.

Clint_S
12-05-2010, 04:06 PM
The conditions of the area can really dictate how successful you will be still hunting. Some times of year or in certain areas there is just no way to sneak up on an animal and the only way to get an opportunity in those situations is to sit down and shut up whether it is in a stand or on the ground.
Other times or in the right areas walking can be productive and gives me a sense of actually hunting rather than just waiting.

Jonas111
12-05-2010, 05:12 PM
I primarily learnt how to hunt in MB. There I have been mostly successful in a tree stand and using decoys and calling them in. I enjoy this style of hunting the most. I get a rush when you call a big buck into your stand.

This is my second year hunting in BC And I have an extremely unsuccessful and I am quite frustrated at this point. I have hiked, sat in a tree stand, drove on my quad and truck hunted, I have yet to even see a buck. I have saw enough does but no bucks.

When you figure out what style works best please let me know. I have shot one buck in MB this year and I am skunked in BC.

I will most likely be making my own post asking for advice and what is most successful in BC.

Good luck

leadpillproductions
12-05-2010, 05:24 PM
This year was my first year tree stand hunting . Once you get past the mental part it was the best hunting season ive ever had highly recomend it .

AT&T
12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I primarily learnt how to hunt in MB. There I have been mostly successful in a tree stand and using decoys and calling them in. I enjoy this style of hunting the most. I get a rush when you call a big buck into your stand.

This is my second year hunting in BC And I have an extremely unsuccessful and I am quite frustrated at this point. I have hiked, sat in a tree stand, drove on my quad and truck hunted, I have yet to even see a buck. I have saw enough does but no bucks.

When you figure out what style works best please let me know. I have shot one buck in MB this year and I am skunked in BC.

I will most likely be making my own post asking for advice and what is most successful in BC.

Good luck
where are you hunting. what part of the province and for what animal

Jonas111
12-05-2010, 06:27 PM
where are you hunting. what part of the province and for what animal

Kelowna area, i have been all over the place, in the park, big white, trapping creek, cram, beaver del, and some more.

Mainly mule deer and whitetail but i bought an elk tag this year but wasn't really out hunting them very often. The whitetail and mule deer i put in a decent amount of time. Maybe wasted time but i am open to listen to what i may be doing wrong.

sjo
12-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Wow! Lot's of great info here, I'm pretty sure I'll try the stand hunting come next season, at least a couple of times, but yeah I've tried to sit and watch at the top of a cut block or clearing. I must admit I get a little antsy waitin around, considering most of the shootable animals I've seen have been while I was on the move. Thanks guys

hotload
12-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Great prosperous hunting comes down to the experience of the wily hunter. If you lack total knowledge of what you are hunting then you have put yourself at a huge disadvantage. Yes anybody can get lucky and fill a tag or even fill it with prime animals but luck never lasts. If you are traipsing the bush not using the proper tools to snipe an animal in it's own backyard you better think again,cause it ain't going to happen with any consistency. Our hunted animals live by their wits every minute of every day. If you are an unexperienced hunter, then you better take a seat whether it is sitting behind a blind or atop the highest tree and let the world unfold past you because it won't let you unfold past it.

hunter1947
12-06-2010, 03:02 AM
I use a self claimer tree stand lots one thing for sure you have to know where to set it up.

To me it is nothing like sitting in a truck ,when sitting in a truck you are on a road ,when sitting in a tree stand you are back in the big timber different surroundings the animal can come in from anywhere and this keeps you on top of your toes :wink:.

#1 you have to scout the area out and know where to put it up when the time roles around.

#2 I will usually set up my tree stand near well used game trails..

#3 Try not setting up your tree stand near a road get back into the bush at least 500 yards..

#4 Yes you have to have lots of pations when sitting in a tree stand ,how I get by is I am always thinking that an animal can appear any time..

#5 You really watch what you are doing when you use a tree stand they are very dangerous ,wear a full harness when you use a tree stand..:-D

Stone Sheep Steve
12-06-2010, 04:44 AM
Generally----- Take a stand for hunting whitetails(tree or ground) and still hunt/glass for mulies.
Of course there are exceptions to these two basic hunting styles.

Personally, I started killing whitetails when I stopped moving.

SSS