PDA

View Full Version : Shoot, Stalk, Pass, or Call

Sleep Robber
12-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Here's the scenario,

You're 300 Weatherby Magnum is sighted in at 200 yrds. Your glassing an area that stretches for over 1000 yards with your spotting scope. All of a sudden, you spot a monster buck, the biggest you've ever seen in your life, hands down, he's the hog of all hogs. Your heart rate is pumping with adrenalin and you think this is sooooo cooooool.
After spotting the monster, and using the appropriate range finder, you conclude that he is exactly 700 yards away, but you've never shot an animal over 300 yards before in your entire life. Your with a sharpshooter buddy who 1/2 a km away and you've got walkie talkies. By the way, it's gonna be dark in 30 minutes.

"WHAT WOULD YOU DO" ???????

12-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Personally I would pass and stalk the critter. I would give er a whirl at 400 or so with a perfect rest broadside. Even then, if I could get closer I would try too. Nothing worse then possibly losing a critter .... I'm no sniper, and any one who has never done it before should not take the chance ethically speaking.

CT

Gateholio
12-05-2010, 12:32 AM
It could be a .300 Weatherby or a .308 or whatever, the cartridge you are using matters little...Depends if you are well practiced in long shots, have the appropriate ability on your scope to compensate, what the wind/mirage is doing, are confident of a killing shot or if you like to get to within 50 yards or whatever you like to do.

If the wind is good, it's an easy shot for some, and impossible shot for others, a gratifying kill for some and it doesn't provide satisfaction for others.

To some, that's a shot they will take with confidence, to others, it's a beginning of a stalk.

The actual "poll" is meaningless, other than for comedy.

Sleep Robber
12-05-2010, 12:40 AM
read again please, I always screw these up.

Sleep Robber
12-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Remember, the question is , what would "YOU" do

SHAKER
12-05-2010, 12:48 AM
I would try and get closer to start with........ if I ran out of time then pass and you know where he is so that part of the battle is won.... just takes more time in the same spot.

Note: I am one of them long range guys, but low light hits me bad on high magnifacation so long shots are out in low light situations. That and you want that critter down on the spot when the light is fad'n.

If you need to ask don't do it!

Sleep Robber
12-05-2010, 02:08 AM
The polls are always interesting to see, that's why their included, however meaningless some people may think of them. I was just trying to put a possible scenario out there for everybody to enjoy, nothing more. If I didn't paint the perfect picture, I apologize. The moderator is more than welcome to delete at any time.

As for my answer, I'll pass and hope I get another crack at him in the future.

BiG Boar
12-05-2010, 02:16 AM
The polls are always interesting to see, that's why their included, however meaningless some people may think of them. I was just trying to put a possible scenario out there for everybody to enjoy, nothing more.

I'll pass and hope I get another crack at him in the future.

fact. you have 30 minutes to get close. What do you mean pass? Are you in a straight jacket?

Gateholio
12-05-2010, 02:31 AM
Poll is meaningless except for comedy due to the way the poll is set up.

Just like any poll that has "loaded" questions, it is subjective, not objective.

Therefore, pointless except for comedy.

Answers posted on the thread will have more merit.

No need to delete- It is meaningless, but that is not necessarily invalid criteria for making a poll.

redneckdale
12-05-2010, 02:43 AM
I chose the hail mary for comedic value shit I'm a Blacktail hunter never shot anything over 100yd and would never try over 200 cause the chase is better than the catch

hunter1947
12-05-2010, 03:13 AM
I would use the 30 min up to get to shooting range of this animal..

Sleep Robber
12-05-2010, 03:26 AM
fact. you have 30 minutes to get close. What do you mean pass? Are you in a straight jacket?

I probably would try and get closer, but I think the appropriate shooting light is more like 10 minutes before dark, so IMO, my stalk time is now roughly 20 minutes. Plus it all depends on the type of ground I had to cover to get within my range. I'm not the best shot out there by any means, so I would want to get a hell of a lot closer than I was. I've shot my share of deer in my day, but I've never had to shoot one that was more than 250 yards away from me before. Thus being said, I don't think I would feel confident in a shot that was much farther than that, and would want to stay within my capabilities. This leaves me with roughly 450 yards that I have to cover in 20 minutes, while being as quiet as I could, then hopefully I can still see him, and be presented with a good opportunity.

Now that I just read this, your right, I do need a straight jacket. What the #$%^ was I thinking :mrgreen:

Caveman
12-05-2010, 07:42 AM
You need to be able to get within shooting range. I'm okay with going beyond your normal limits. For example if you've shot out to 300 yds, I'd be fine adding 100 or so to that for this. Never shooting 700yds, I'd be trying to close ground on him.

I had somewhat the exact senario you speak of, happen this year. I glassed a buck at 1000yds decided he could be a shooter. Race down to where I felt he would cross and give me a good shot, Only difference so far was that this was first light and I was trying to catch him before he got to dense cover. My plan worked out perfectly as he walked accross in front of me at about 150yds. I passed on him this time because I was hoping to get my son in on him. That didn't pan out, but that's fime. Really nice buck with shallow fork on the rear left side. Second guessing myself now for letting him walk, oh well. That.s the choice I made

sjo
12-05-2010, 08:28 AM
finding a gut shot animal can take a long time, not to mention also very messy to clean, 30 min left don't risk the long shot. every hunter should take the time to learn their shooting limits. personally i would close the distance to at least 350 yrds.

sawmill
12-05-2010, 09:11 AM
440 yards is a quarter of a mile.Do you think a damn near half mile shot is reasonable?Give yer head a shake and go f@2k off.
You will never hunt with me.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-05-2010, 09:16 AM
If I have never shot past 3 hundy .... I would creep up .... 700 your hardly gonna spook him off ... hell even at 300 you would have to try to spook him ..... I would move up

sawmill
12-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Sorry,but stupid shit like that makes my brain angry.

knighthunter
12-05-2010, 10:08 AM
I would pass on him as I know my limits, but I would try to put the sneak on him from another direction or even try that area the next day hoping to see him at 1/2 that distance or less.

sjo
12-05-2010, 08:32 PM
440 yards is a quarter of a mile.Do you think a damn near half mile shot is reasonable?Give yer head a shake and go f@2k off.
You will never hunt with me.
700 yds - 450 yds =
by my calculations sleep robber was attempting to close the shooting distance to aproximately 250 yds, sounds pretty reasonable to me.

tomahawk
12-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Been there done that, no shot out of my rifle unless I close the distance to half that amount.

Pete
12-05-2010, 08:48 PM
You have 30 min. until dark.... How long do you think that it will take you to "stalk" in to get close enough to take the shot? So you take the shot...... Now go and try to find him even if you hit him in the dark, because that is what it will be when you get to where he is.... good luck.......If you are lucky enough to find him, providing he hasn't run, how long is it going to take you to get out in the dark even if you can find you way......Pass

Johnny G1
12-05-2010, 10:29 PM
First I would have to find somebody that could see that far for me, 2nd deffinately pass it up.

TheProvider
12-05-2010, 10:44 PM
I agree with gatehouse... but personally hunting for me I like to get as close as possible, no I'm not a terrible shot its just the challenge of getting within close range of the animal. No matter the yardage I always try to stalk as close as possible. Pretty much close enough so it feels as tho you can reach out and touch them. For me personally shooting animals from a distance isn't much fun. With the right rifle, wind and knowledge you can kill from extreme distances. Some guys like to get in close and others like to snipe, to each their own. I once heard a famous hunter say its not hunting once you gotta shoot past 400 ;) but be my guest aslong as you practice those shots and are knowledgable with the wind/mirage effect

landphil
12-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Welcome to my world last weekend, well just about anyway. Only I had 3 hours 'till dark, and the buck was 640 yards away. I tried a stalk, but was in plain sight of the deer due to their vantage point. I made it about 80 yards before they spooked and took off. I saw one of the does 3 times after that, but not the buck, and no sign of the buck yesterday either.