PDA

View Full Version : Recurve or Longbow?

mod7rem
12-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Just wondering what makes a person choose one over the other? I had a cheap recurve years ago that I practiced with and now I am considering getting back into it. I've never had any interest in compounds. So which one and how do you size properly? Thanks guys.

Bow Walker
12-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Recurves are generally shorter in overall length and a bit speedier than longbows. Although you can get longbows in the 60" range.

Recurves are also generally thought to be more forgiving of shooting form flaws than a longbow is. They can be easier to draw as well.

Size matters not - it's what poundage do you want to shoot, and what length do you want your bow to be that matters more. Are you planning on hunting with it? If so, then you will need something that has a minimum of 40 lbs draw weight within your given draw length.

That is to say that if you only draw 26 inches, then the bow must have a draw weight of at least 40 lbs within 26 inches.

Target shooting is up to you what draw weight you get - it really doesn't matter at all.

Recurve, longbow, self bow, reflex/deflex bow? It's a purely personal choice. What fluffs your kilt?

TheProvider
12-05-2010, 08:25 AM
X2, shoot them bow and see what you like

Bowzone_Mikey
12-05-2010, 10:45 AM
For paper punching I like the recurves .... for 3D and Hunting ... I like the Longbows ....

That all said I still run with Training wheels for the most part

I really like long bows myself .... but as said above its a personal choice

hardnocks
12-05-2010, 11:21 AM
recurves are easyer to shoot cause the arrow self is cut to give you a true center shot. A longbow your arrow has to go around the riser.

The Hermit
12-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I have both and I can't shoot either of them better than the other. But my do everything go to bow is the longbow because it is a LOT lighter especially for long days in the field. Go to a shop or hook up with others and try both before you buy.

Stéphane
12-05-2010, 09:09 PM
I. . . because it is a LOT lighter especially for long days in the field. Go to a shop or hook up with others and try both before you buy.

That is one thing that is really cool about traditional bows. I just got a new bow and even though it's suppose to be light one, it is a pig compare to a traditional one. Not to mention that they look really good too.

Tack243
12-06-2010, 09:25 AM
If you ever want to get into a Hunting Competition using a stick and string,think of the North American Long Bow Club. You can go to a shoot that can have up words of 300 shooters all flinging arrows made of wood and with broad heads at all your favorite 3-d targets. Meet a number for people from every nook and cranny in the country and boy its a great time. The only problem with that is....

They Don't Allow Recurves
Think About it.:mrgreen:

Tuffcity
12-06-2010, 04:55 PM
They Don't Allow Recurves
Think About it.:mrgreen:

Howard Hill was once quoted as saying he didn't think he was a good enough archer to use a recurve... think about that! :twisted::-D:-D

RC

Tack243
12-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Howard Hill was once quoted as saying he didn't think he was a good enough archer to use a recurve... think about that! :twisted::-D:-D

RC

Hay Tuff I'm defiantly not knocking (no pun intended) the Recurve I have shot both in my 30 plus years of archery. I was just hoping on giving a little push to the Dark side of the stick and string. IMHO.

Cheers
Bucky

killer
12-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Well let me tell you i have had a crossbow for 6 years now.Everyone i know says that it is like cheating.Probably shot at 4 different bucks still no kills with it .There is always that one branch in the way or misjudge the distance or something .At somewhere around 15-20 bucks a shot it gets fairly expensive.But it sure is fun trying .One of these years i will get it right.

firstlight
12-07-2010, 11:45 PM
It's really a personal preference, longbow or recurve.

I own several longbows and recurves and I hunt with a recurve. I also agree with prior post that a recurve is a little more forgiving and a little easier to shoot. Longbows are great, so is a recurve.

The recurves I hunt with are generally 62 inches which I know are on the long side but I've never had a problem and I have them long by choice. I'm fine with canting the bow, releasing while kneeling, etc. Most I believe would suggest a shorter length bow.

Try different bows. Some bows just stack up so quickly they are hard to shoot, particularly some shorter length bows. Bow's in the same weight can feel / shoot very differently so I really think you need to try a particular bow before buying and find one that fits "you".

It's important to not over bow yourself, personally I don't see any reason for a 70lb recurve / longbow (for the average person). Just watch a persons bow arm at full draw after a few shots on a trad bow with a 70lb pull and my observation more often than not is a shaky hold with rapidly deteriorating form which will lead to a sloppy release.

mod7rem
12-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys.

boing-whap
12-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Theres a guy who shoots a long bow with a shelf at our club, 45#, beautiful bow and hes not shooting off his hand.

downsouth204
12-09-2010, 06:59 AM
First find out which eye dominance you are if you don't already know.
- the drawback to a recurve is noise from the string hitting the limb tips.
- the drawback to an old style D shaped longbow is handshock.
So pick yourself up a hybrid long bow which is a bit of a cross between a recurve and a longbow. It's a longbow with a lot of reflex/deflex in the limbs, which will give it good speed and very little hand shock. It'll be fast like a recurve only without the drawbacks and have classy looks!
Around 50 lbs @28" draw length is a good weight of bow to buy. Resist the urge to go with a heavy,(60lb or whatever) bow and your shoulders will still work 10 years from now.
A bow around 60" in length is a good compromise between shoot-ability and maneuverability.
If you like to pack it around in the bush, you may want to consider a 2 piece takedown longbow.
Check out www.Cari-bow.com Lots of nice bows there!
Abe's a great guy and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

greybark
12-10-2010, 11:30 AM
:-D Hey downsouth , yup Abe is a great guy ,Years ago I had the privilage of squading with Him , Wife and Zak in a Cdn Championship event ..
Cheers

Sideofabarn
12-10-2010, 04:35 PM
I like the look of longbows but prefer the greater forgiveness of the recurve. Have you also considered the take down versus one piece option? My only caveat would be if you are going to get a take down model, spring for a good quality one. I bought mine at the Three Rivers store in Indiana a few years ago, but I cheaped out, and have since found that the take down model vibrates like heck. I don't hunt with it, but it's a fun alternative to when I want to lose the wheels for some target shooting.

mod7rem
12-11-2010, 01:50 PM
So what are the advantages of a takedown model other than taking it apart for packing?

Flingin' Sticks
12-11-2010, 03:23 PM
So what are the advantages of a takedown model other than taking it apart for packing?

That's about the only advantage to them as far as I'm concerned...I personally find them heavier than they need to be, and unless you're planning a fly-in trip, it' not really needed. I've heard people say they have less vibration due to the weight, but I've never noticed any extra shock with my one piece

as far as which one to shoot, that's all up to you. Personally, I can't shoot a long bow to save my life. I've also got a thing for short recurves, so even a 60" feels huge to me (for reference, the bow I'm shooting now is only 52" long).

Get whatever feels best, and TRY AS MANY AS YOU CAN before you buy

Sideofabarn
12-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Have to agree with Flingin' Sticks on that. There really is no advantage of take down over one piece models other than for portability in certain circumstances. For the most part, they seem to be a bit of a marketing gimmick. I also tend to be brutal on my stuff, so I thought that if I packed away the take down model, I'd be less inclined to inadvertantly break a limb by carelessly throwing something on top of it. I have "modified" a couple of fishing rod tips courtesy of a truck door. I know I'm clumsy and lazy, and I figured it would be good insurance.

Bow Walker
12-11-2010, 10:05 PM
The major advantage is that you can buy different limbs for the same riser. If you start out with a lighter poundage, say 30 lbs, for training/practicing purposes, you can purchase different limbs for the same riser at a later date.

So you can go from 30 lbs draw weight to 40 or 50 lbs draw weight by just buying a different set of limbs for the same riser. Saves a bunch of $$$.

The other (and most obvious) is the portability of the whole bow, over one that is a one-piece. Storage suddenly becomes a non-issue.