PDA

View Full Version : Bait for deer

shamrock
12-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Can someone answer me a question...I can't seem to find it in the regs. and would like to settle a workplace discussion once and for all.

Can you place bait (hay, grain, alfalfa pellets, etc) and then hunt over the bait for deer or other ungulates?

lorneparker1
12-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Can someone answer me a question...I can't seem to find it in the regs. and would like to settle a workplace discussion once and for all.

Can you place bait (hay, grain, alfalfa pellets, etc) and then hunt over the bait for deer or other ungulates?

Does anyone use the search feature? ever? Sorry man, but this has literally been discussed about 50 times in the last 2 months.

yes you can.

Lorne

steelhead
12-04-2010, 10:41 PM

hunter1947
12-05-2010, 03:32 AM
You can't bait bear but deer ,elk ,moose you can bait in BC..

bugler
12-06-2010, 09:12 PM
I can't seem to find it in the regsThere's your answer, if you looked thoroughly. In the regs it only say's it is illegal to bait bears and I think migratory game birds, nothing about deer, elk, sheep, coyotes or whatever.

knighthunter
12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Does bait include a salt block?

Ron.C
12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Yes its legal to bait deer. The regs are very specific on what is unlawful, so there's no need to spell everything out that is lawful. If this were the case, the regs would be 5000+ pages long

Go online to the regs and search "bait"

this is what you get

pg. 3

"Bait

- means anything, including meat, cereals,

cultivated crops, restrained animal or any
manufactured product or material, that may
attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation
foods, but does not include a decoy as
described under these regulations."

pg. 14
"to intentionally feed or attempt to feed
dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf
and bear) except when lawfully engaged
in hunting or trapping"

pg. 16
"bear may not be hunted by placing bait or by using a
dead animal or part of it as bait"

pg. 18
"to hunt migratory game birds within

400 m of any place where bait has been
deposited unless that place has been free
of bait for at least 7 days"

According to these notes from the regs, it's unlawful to bait dangerous game and migratory birds. It says so pretty clearly. If you were not allowed to bait ungulates like deer, elk, there would be a note in the regs specifically stating this

knighthunter
12-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Yes its legal to bait deer. The regs are very specific on what is unlawful, so there's no need to spell everything out that is lawful. If this were the case, the regs would be 5000+ pages long

Go online to the regs and search "bait"

this is what you get

pg. 3

"Bait

- means anything, including meat, cereals,

cultivated crops, restrained animal or any
manufactured product or material, that may
attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation
foods, but does not include a decoy as
described under these regulations."

pg. 14

in hunting or trapping"

pg. 16

pg. 18

According to these notes from the regs, it's unlawful to bait dangerous game and migratory birds. It says so pretty clearly. If you were not allowed to bait ungulates like deer, elk, there would be a note in the regs specifically stating this

Thanks. I was just wondering as I don't bait game. I moved here from a province that only allows baiting of bears not ungulates.

the sentencer
12-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know what type of salt lick works best? I was at a store today and they had salt for horses, cows and goats and sheep. They also had specially formulated blocks just for deer at twice the cost. Does anyone use the more generic cheaper blue ones with any success?

Ron.C
12-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Does anyone know what type of salt lick works best? I was at a store today and they had salt for horses, cows and goats and sheep. They also had specially formulated blocks just for deer at twice the cost. Does anyone use the more generic cheaper blue ones with any success?

Have a look online. You'll probably find that the ones specifically designed for deer have other vitamins/minerals claming to boost antler growth????

I'd say just go with the regular salt block first, set up a trail cam and and see if it works.

Ruger4
12-07-2010, 07:14 PM

trace mineral , the brown blocks , we have several in the pastures for the horses and, well deer happen to like 'em to :wink:

landphil
12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Does anyone use the more generic cheaper blue ones with any success?

Used to have them on the family property, and yes, the deer loved them, to the point that they'd eat the dirt 1 foot down when the block was long gone. That was mulies if it makes any difference, but I doubt it.

longleader
12-07-2010, 07:32 PM
In my experience (growing up on a ranch) deer really go for the salt when you can't hunt them (spring and summer) but don't seem to pay much attention to it in the fall.

Having a salt block near your vegetable garden throughout the summer will make it handy for the deer that like a bit of salt with their veggies.....:smile:

AT&T
12-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Salt blocks are simple. If you want to make a (lick) get salt out of Montana or order it in. It comes in 50 pound bags. Find a good site a bit wet but not neccessary. pour the salt into the ground. stir it in with a shovel. I will work right away but the reaction time gets better after a couple years. It needs time to react with the soil. Not all soils work for this.

leadpillproductions
12-07-2010, 09:23 PM
order the salt out of montana?????

hunter1947
12-08-2010, 03:05 AM
In my experience (growing up on a ranch) deer really go for the salt when you can't hunt them (spring and summer) but don't seem to pay much attention to it in the fall.

Having a salt block near your vegetable garden throughout the summer will make it handy for the deer that like a bit of salt with their veggies.....:smile:

This year the deer in the fall went crazy licking the salt I had Trace mineral salt that I put out at camp and they where there every day licking it..

mungojeerie
12-08-2010, 07:55 AM
pg. 14

in hunting or trapping"

pg. 16

pg. 18

To me that reads it is lawful to bait dangerous game while lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping except for bear

silvicon
12-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Anyway, the mule deer behind our house like apples, a different herd only 2 miles down the road like oats.
So I buy a automated feeder and hang it in a tree, thinking the resident deer will like it also.
WRONG!!!
Mule deer are choosy eaters.

knighthunter
12-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I used to feed deer during the tough winter's back on the prairie's. If I put out oats and wheat (in seperate piles) they would walk by the oats and clean up the wheat. They also liked alfalfa bales but I had to break them up. They would only eat the leaves and tops, not the stems. I always used the red salt block.
This was in my back yard in the country. Was common to look out and see 15+ deer. Sure was easy to find shed antler's in the spring.
These were whitetails.

AT&T
12-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Anyway, the mule deer behind our house like apples, a different herd only 2 miles down the road like oats.
So I buy a automated feeder and hang it in a tree, thinking the resident deer will like it also.
WRONG!!!
Mule deer are choosy eaters.

Deer to pick up deseases from being concentrated on man made feed. Especailly when concentrated in one spot. Grain feeder a the biggest. It goes from nostril of the deer to when they are in close proximatey to each other. So be careful whether you are just trying to help them out in the winter or trying to shoot on off a bait sight. Nothing I hate worse in those dumb ass hunting shows as hunters staking out the only water hole for 20 miles. How the hell is that sporting?
Salt licks properly done will help deer and elk alot. Other wildlife use them as well. It doesnt really enhance your opportunity as the night time belongs to them.

Gunner Staal
12-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I used C.O.B. (Corn Oats and Barley rolled in Molasses) this year and the regular blue salt blocks. The deer liked the blue block...but the moose LOVED IT! Had moose return day after day and lick a full block down in a week. I went through 200 lbs of COB in 14 days once the snow hit. It was like crack cocaine for deer. Sat in my stand and watched them come 50 60 70 a day to feed on it. Fantastic!